Grade 'Slainte'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Apr 27, 2012.

?

How would you grade Slainte?

1. A+

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  2. A

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  3. A-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. B+

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  5. B

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  6. B-

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  7. C+

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  8. C

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

New episode of NY tonight... give it a watch and let us know what you think! :cool:

2. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

FWIW, "slainte" is Irish Gaelic for "health," pronounced SLAN-cheh. It's a drinking toast in Ireland and Scotland. Kind of like saying "cheers."

3. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

Thanks for telling us what it means. I had no idea. Less then 30 mins. to go here on the east coast.

4. Lego107

Lego107 Dead on Arrival

Think Flack would have been nice to the store owners daughter is she wasnt smoking hot?? :rolleyes:

5. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

It was great seeing csi ny back on but the case to me was boring. The whole Irish thing seemed done to death and the gruesome stuff was for effect much the same as the s7 episode with the maggot covered body in the car. Despite the boredom Mac was very appealing and always good to ogle him. I also missed Adam a lot. Lastly the Mac dating stuff was cute. He still acts a bit boyish lol

6. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

At least so far they haven't rushed it. It was kinda nice.

It was okay, not awful but not a total standout. I didn't get my continuity wish with the explosion, I see. Not surprising though.

I still wanna yell something every time I see that promo with the finale snippet lol

7. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

Hell's Kitchen, now referred to as Clinton, was a century-old hangout for Irish immigrants. The Irish gangsters of the 1800s were moved out of the Five Points east, since the Italians were moving into the docks. There are four semi-traditional boundaries of HK: the Hudson River west, Times Square east, Chelsea/Penn Station south, and the Garment District north.

The gang feud is probably related to the story of The Westies, an Irish gang who tried to hold sway in the 1970s. The leader was Jimmy Coonan. He was a real bastard with a horrible drinking problem and a mean streak a mile wide. His main enforcer was a paddy named Mickey Featherstone. Mickey did tons of hits for the Westies, and eventually was caught, and agreed to become a CI. His time with Coonan got both of them in prison for life.

The "gentrification" angle of the story comes from Mayor Guiliani's effots to clean up the smut parlors in Times Square in the mid-80s. He moved lots of "undesirable" businesses to Hell's Kitchen. Only to move out the businesses accustomed to paying protection to the Westies. Then real estate developers came in to tear down the tenements and replace them with high-priced real estate.

Knowing the Irish history of NYC, it was a fun watch. I can understand if someone thinks this is an esoteric episode, it is.

So I raise a glass to CSI:NY and say, "Slainte!" :guffaw:

8. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

It felt like a season 1 episode and I liked it. I love it when CSI: NY goes back to its dark gritty roots/beginning. Well done!

PS
    I came across an article on TV Guide and it's nice to know NY made it to the list of shows they want to survive (along with Awake, Touch, Community etc.). The critics there prefer NY over Miami! I hope CBS listens.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  9. Abbott

Abbott Civilian

This episode was pretty meh. Not as good at the last one, but maybe a little better than the one before that. Like others said the whole Irish gang thing is such a cliche and has been done to death. This didn't do anything new with it. The grittiness in the beginning was cool, but then the actual reason to chop up the body was just silly. And how did they put it all of those places with no one knowing? This episode also has no humor at all. Which is too bad because the cast can be funny when they're given good stuff to play. Mac's lame romance was back. But just like the crime story the "canceling/making dinner" thing felt borrowed since that has been done so many times before. And just like last week it seemed like there were trying to setting up some sort of romance with Flack only for it to completely disappear towards the end. Maybe they noticed the bad chemistry and cut a scene. Previews for next week look interesting and I hope they're building to something. With only 2 more to to this one was pretty disappointing.

10. Lego107

Lego107 Dead on Arrival

Technically TVguide isn't really critics. Their just biased news staffers. NY almost bit the bullet last year, they're not going to survive this year. :shifty: They should have just ended it at season 7, the ending was perfect...i just hope they can do that this year in the series finale. :cardie:

Miami will get 1 more season and Vegas probably will last 2 more

11. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

I am gonna give it a B+. It lacked something, but it was at the same parts were good. I liked Mac and Christine together. They were so cute in the kitchen. I did enjoy getting the history of Hell's Kitchen. As for the cast itself I felt it lacked something. It felt like there could be more to it. I am not sure what I would have suggested, but it could have been better.

12. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

I wonder if you would say the same if they had chosen Miami instead of NY? :shifty:

13. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

Watched the episode and I'm going to watch it again but I thought it was okay.

I thought the reason for killing the guy was lame and cutting him up to the four corners was dumb.

I liked that Christine and Mac had a little spat but I hope they can fix things. I liked that Don went to see the daughter of the murdered store owner while Mac cooks with Christine.

14. nel2h

nel2h CSI Level One

I did not like the episode especially. Also Mac and Christine have still devalued the show. It is simply dull. 
Mac should work more as earlier in the lab. Screentime should more Sid, Sheldon have, instead of Christine.

15. Grindigo

Grindigo Dead on Arrival

The episode seemed a bit... meh to me.
    Only 2 scenes with Adam in them, I've missed him. :'(
    Not enough Sid or Hawkes either tbh. Being pretty close to the end of the season and I'd usually expect everyone to get the similar amounts of screen time.
    The case seemed a bit far fetched to me. The reason for killing him was dull and then dumping him on those 4 corners felt kind of pointless.
    As much as I am happy for Mac, I don't like those scenes with him and Christine! I don't mind Christine at all, but for some reason it appears quite forced to me. Then again, that might just be me. I usually can't stand 2 people getting lovey dovey. :s