"Seeing Red" Discussion **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, Feb 12, 2012.

1. warrick17

warrick17 Hit and Run

:guffaw:diebenkorn.nuff said

2. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Agreed with everyone else, the best part of this episode was the end...Diebenkorn. :guffaw:

This episode was a little slow for me. I sort of figured up front that Jesse's character was guilty, since he was the one running away from the scene and conveniently lost his memory. I did think the father had something to do with it too, though but I guess not.

I like Finn but like a couple others said she did come off a little too cocky. I hope that doesn't carry on for long, it might get old fast. Overall I liked her interaction with D.B. and Greg. She only did interact with the two of them in this episode, basically I noticed.

The nurse and Nick...that was flirting? Hardly any at all, silly spoilers. :rolleyes:

3. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Diebenkorn? No wonder he shortened it. That's a mouthful. What kind of name is that anyway? It kind of sounds like a band name. Like Dokken + Korn or something. I don't know. It's just an odd name... but then again, I've heard some pretty strange ones and Diebenkorn is surprisingly not the strangest one I've heard (and I'm talking about ones I've heard in real life, not on tv shows lol).

Good episode. Everyone got pretty decent screentime too. Nicely done. :)

I like Finn so far. I do think Finn was showing a bit of an attitude toward DB in regards to whatever happened when they last saw each other though. I'm guessing its when he fired her or whatever, if that's still part of her storyline. She seemed annoyed to see him at first, but she warmed up at the end. I'm looking forward to seeing how their working relationship progresses as the season continues. :)

I'm not even gonna mention the nurse and Nick. That was much ado about nothing LOL. As Dizzney said, silly spoilers. LOL.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  4. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I liked it. And I think I'm going to like Finn. I can't see anything romantic between her and DB, now or in the past; but whatever it was it didn't end well. Probably more work/job related stuff. She's a little head strong, and confident, but I wasn't put off by her arrogance. At least she didn't seem to have a chip on her shoulder, or attitude issues. I can't wait to see her interact with more of the cast.

Yeah, the list of suspects was short, but I was hoping the father had something to do with it. He was a piece of work. :rolleyes:

Yay for Sara! I didn't think she'd be in this, but she had decent screen time along with everyone else, except Brass. So, we got Vartann instead.

Nothing special, but a good well rounded episode, and a good introduction for Shue. I'm not sure where they came up with Diebenkorn, but I think I would have preferred something a little more mysterious and less dorky.
    And, like others have said, I didn't see anything between Nick and Lauren.

8/10 from me.
    Really looking forward to next week. :)

5. Crumbs

Crumbs Police Officer

I think this one may have been my least favourite episode of the season so far. I felt as if the case seemed to be shoved into the background in favour of bringing in Julie. There was a huge amount of depth into the case which seemed a little mediocre. I felt as though the end was supposed to pack a bit of a punch but I found it pretty emotionless to say the least.

Saying that I like Julie from what I've seen so far. Her and DB have a good dynamic and hopefully that'll extend to the rest of the team in upcoming episodes.

Everyone got reasonable screentime in this one which was good, although I felt the team dynamic was off. Nick seemed like he spent the whole time in the hospital, Greg was in the lab whilst Morgan and Sara were sort of here and there. Brass was absent and it was very noticeable however I really liked the improved screentime for Vartann.

Diebenkorn was easily the best part of the episode. :lol:

I guess is the first episode of the season I didn't like, although to be fair I wasn't expecting to like the whole lot. Hopefully this was just a minor blip in an otherwise solid season. :)

My rating: 6.8/10 (so-so)

6. Sinclair

Sinclair Rookie

Agree with Crumbs the episode was a bit so-so. Shue didn't annoy me but i'm still not sure what to make of her, liked her in this ep but it can take time for a character to settle.

Nick making friends with the baddie again, didn't see anything between him and the nurse.

As much as i love Brass it was great to see the amount of screen time Vartann had. Nice to see the writers not put him through the angst mill and therefore have his character more relaxed and joking around.

It's the first episode in a while where you could separate cops from CSI's.

I think the creepiest thing about the dad was the hair, he's definitely guilty of something!

7. Ninja1088

Ninja1088 Witness

Not a bad episode at all. The father was obvious as a suspect so I'm glad they didn't go down that route. Sad to see how the "victim" Nick bonded with turned out to be the killer but it's not the first time we've seen that on the show so far.
    As for Finn,I like what I've seen so far. She should be a good addition to the show.

8. Sookie

Sookie CSI Level One

I really enjoyed this episode. I think Elizabeth will be great for the show.

Love the music, seeing the lab work being done, the intereactions between the characters, the humor, etc.

The nurse was barely on, so why did they even mention her as a love interest for Nick?

Loved Nick and Sara having scenes together.

9. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I felt like the case was...once again...not big enough to justify taking up the whole hour and the whole team, resulting in too little screen time for Sara, Greg, and Morgan. I don't understand why they can't have a couple of the CSIs working on a smaller, maybe lighter case like they used to do.

Finn was fine...it will be interesting to see what they do with her character going forward and if they reveal any more about her past with DB.

Nice to see DB tell Nick he did a good job and then refer Finn to Greg when she needed the "best" at DNA. :) The whole cast did a fine job on this one.

10. CSIFAN11

CSIFAN11 Dead on Arrival

I enjoyed the episode but agree that there should be two crimes to investigate.

And I'm not really sure I understand 'why' they brought Finn in. It seems to me that the other CSI's have been perfectly capable of analyzing blood spatter before. I'm not sure what made this so tricky that they needed an 'expert'. I guess they just wanted a story to introduce her. I didn't find it particularly believable though. I think I might like Finn but I hope she tones down the flirty/smiles/cockiness going forward.

And as for Nick bonding with the killer...to be fair, he didn't know he was the killer. He thought he was the victim. Once he realized it he walked away from him. Just as he should.

Pretty good episode overall though.

11. Rizzoli

Rizzoli Lab Technician

Up until now Catherine had been the "blood spatter expert," we didn't see her do much on screen but I can only assume off screen, when there was a case with a lot of blood, she did the reconstructions etc., so with her gone, it makes sense they'd need somebody to work on the blood stuff

12. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

I really enjoyed the episode; it felt like old school CSI. No drawn out action scenes and the forensics factored in a great deal. Acknowledging the fact that Elisabeth Shue's character has a specialty right off the bat seems like the show does want to get back to its forensic science roots. Aside from the "official" companions, was there any concrete evidence on the show that pointed to Catherine being trained in blood spatter analysis? I honestly can't recall. :lol: The blood recreation with the paint felt similar to a season one episode, "Friends and Lovers," but came off as fresh and original. Also thought the opening was cool in terms of being abstract and trying to mislead the audience. Frank Waldeck sure loves to do that. :lol:

13. CSIFAN11

CSIFAN11 Dead on Arrival

I don't recall anything pointing to Catherine being trained in blood spatter analysis either. But I do agree they seem to be going back to 'old school' CSI. And I like that. I like that they are trying to show more forensics. And it's always nice when they mislead the audience. I enjoy being 'shocked' at the end. And if not shocked then it's still nice when it isn't an obvious ending.

14. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

According to their Bio's back in season 5 (when I came in):

Grissom - Entomology
    Catherine - Blood Spatter Analysis
    Nick - Hair & Fiber Analysis
    Warrick - Audio/Visual Analysis
    Greg - DNA
    Sara - ? (don't remember)

The new bio they did for Nick as part of that 'Anatomy of a TV Hit' webseries they're doing still has him listed as Hair & Fiber Analysis. We'll see about the others when they get to them. :)

If you want to get into things think about this - If they had to bring in someone to do the blood spatter analysis in this episode shouldn't Nick have been doing the hair analysis that Hodges was doing in Tressed to Kill? :lol:

Susan

15. Rizzoli

Rizzoli Lab Technician

Transcript of a November 2011 interview

At the bottom of the second paragraph it says: