Smash

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by rissarose, Feb 11, 2012.

1. rissarose

rissarose Rookie

[​IMG]

from Wikipedia:
    PLEASE tell me I am not the only one on Talk CSI who has seen this show and is completely, utterly, and undeniably in love with it! I'm already invested in almost all of the characters (Team Ivy FTW!), Shaiman and Whittman's original pieces are fantastic, the talent throughout the cast is so very high, and I am busting with excitement to watch all the drama and backstage happenings unfold as the development of the musical continues! (And they've only aired the pilot!) Is it MONDAY yet?!

Edit: And if you haven't seen it yet (shame on you!), get yourself over to YouTube and watch the first episode!

2. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I'm watching. :)
    I do love the theater and musicals, so I hope this one is a success.
    Katherine McPhee is a great singing talent. I'm not sure about her acting chops, but we'll see. And the rest of the cast is SUPERB.
    I really am looking forward to this one. It's a refreshing change from most of what we see on TV. And, it's a great lead-out from The Voice. NBC is in dire need of some successful shows, so...Go SMASH!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  3. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

I haven't watched it yet, but it is On Demand, so I'll be seeing this soon. Along with The Voice, I think NBC will finally have something to cheer about, at least on Monday nights. [​IMG]

4. rissarose

rissarose Rookie

Yay, responses! :D I was getting nervous for a little while there; I'm absolutely OBSESSED with Smash and want to talk about it with every single person I pass on the street, but it seems like the show doesn't have too much hype surrounding it quite yet despite the heavy advertising it's been getting.

It felt like I waited FOREVER for tonight's episode, even though it's only been a week. (I really can't remember the last time I've had so much love for a television show, especially so early on in its life!) Started off pretty slow for me, but the last twenty-or-so minutes made up for it.

Ivy over Karen really was a no-brainer. She has the experience necessary to star in a Broadway production, has the proper training for it, is a damn convincing Marilyn, etc. While I do love Karen as well, she really is so new to the scene. She needs more experience in the world of professional theatre before she goes starring in productions. I think it'll be a smart move to keep Karen in the ensemble... it gives her a chance to learn, become accustomed to the world she's trying to break into, etc.

I find myself much more invested in the adoption storyline than I was in the pilot. At first, all the talk of adoption between Julia and Frank (and even Leo, who I didn't care much for) kind of brought the energy of the show down for me. But that scene with Julia reading the letter she wrote to her future child's birth mother was absolutely beautiful. I'm interested to see where this story goes for the Houston family.

Mark Shaiman and Scott Whittman continue to impress with their original songs. "National Pastime" was SO clever, and I've had "Let Me Be Your Star" on repeat for the last week. This week's "20th Century Fox Mambo" was so much fun - thanks in part to the amazing Josh Bergasse whose choreography is just such a blast to watch.

Highlight of the night for me was the very end, with Ivy singing "Crazy Dreams" at the night club. What a gorgeous version of Carrie Underwood's song, and Megan Hilty just absolutely slayed it... both with her voice and her acting ability. I was also particularly impressed with her during the one-on-one rehearsal scene with Derek.

One thing I really love about this show is that they're doing such a wonderful job writing these characters. I love that they have flaws, but moments of redemption as well: like scumbag Derek, seducing women one moment then winning points for telling Eileen's husband (well... soon to be "ex") to "shove it" the next. And Eileen was flaw-free tonight, throwing her drink in Jerry's face. You go, girl!

Bummed we didn't get a preview of next week's episode. Though I hear some areas did, so... we'll have to wait and see. Keeping my fingers crossed that something pops up on YouTube soon.

5. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

While not as strong as the Pilot, the final song and scenes pretty much saved the episode for me; a very beautiful rendition of Crazy Dreams.
    I'm also loving Anjelica Huston. When she threw her drink into her ex's face, that was awesome. :D

6. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

Please note that NBC has moved Smash to Saturdays, starting April 6th.

SMASH
    "THE SURPRISE PARTY"
    04/06/2013 (09:00PM - 10:00PM) (Saturday)

With guest star Liza Minnelli in tow, Tom (Christian Borle) plans a surprise for Ivy (Megan Hilty) in an attempt to find a balance between their work life and their friendship. Relations between Karen (Katharine McPhee), Jimmy (Jeremy Jordan), and Derek (Jack Davenport) explode just as "Hit List's" rehearsal process nears its close. While Richard (guest star Jamey Sheridan) asks Eileen (Anjelica Huston) to spend less time at work and more time with him, Julia (Debra Messing) finds herself also pulled away from "Bombshell" by an unlikely source. Leslie Odom, Jr., Krysta Rodriguez and Andy Mientus also star. Liza Minnelli, Jamey Sheridan and Jesse L. Martin guest star.

7. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

SMASH
    "OPENING NIGHT"
    04/20/2013 (09:00PM - 10:00PM) (Saturday)

It's "Bombshell's" opening night. As Ivy's (Megan Hilty) nerves get the better of her, support comes from an unlikely source. Meanwhile, Tom (Christian Borle) and Julia (Debra Messing) look to their next project. "Bombshell's" success may be in jeopardy as Eileen's (Anjelica Huston) issues with Richard (guest star Jamey Sheridan) come to a head. Jimmy (Jeremy Jordan) finally opens up to Karen (Katharine McPhee) about his past, but is it too little too late? Jack Davenport, Krysta Rodriguez and Andy Mientus also star. Rosie O'Donnell, Bernadette Peters, Jesse L. Martin and Jamey Sheridan guest star.

8. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

SMASH
    "THE PRODUCERS"
    04/27/2013 (09:00PM - 10:00PM) (Saturday)

An off-the-rail Jimmy (Jeremy Jordan) threatens "Hit List's" future, as Karen (Katharine McPhee), Derek (Jack Davenport), Ana (Krysta Rodriguez) and Kyle (Andy Mientus) try to help him before something bad happens. Tom (Christian Borle) and Julia's (Debra Messing) partnership is strained to the breaking point just as Ivy (Megan Hilty), Eileen (Anjelica Huston), and the entire "Bombshell" team are running themselves ragged to outshine the competition. Jeremy Jordan and Leslie Odom, Jr. also star. Kathie Lee Gifford and Jesse L. Martin guest star.

9. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

SMASH
    "THE PHENOMENON"
    05/04/2013 (09:00PM - 10:00PM) (Saturday)

An unexpected event bonds both "Bombshell" and "Hit List." Debra Messing, Anjelica Huston, Jack Davenport, Christian Borle, Katharine McPhee, Megan Hilty, Jeremy Jordan, Krysta Rodriguez, Leslie Odom, Jr. and Andy Mientus star. Bernadette Peters and Jesse L. Martin guest star.

10. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

SMASH
    "THE TRANSFER"
    05/11/2013 (09:00PM - 10:00PM) (Saturday)

With his sights set on the Tony, Tom (Christian Borle) pulls out all the stops at a Houston & Levitt tribute night, but can Julia (Debra Messing) turn away from "Hit List" long enough to help? Ivy (Megan Hilty) is afraid of damaging her reputation when Tom asks her to perform a risqué number. The cast of "Hit List" is rocked by a betrayal close to home. Anjelica Huston, Jack Davenport, Katharine McPhee, Jeremy Jordan, Krysta Rodriguez also star.

11. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

FYI: Two new episodes will air on Sunday, May 26th, due to a Stanley Cup playoff game in primetime on Saturday the 25th. [​IMG]

SMASH
    "THE NOMINATIONS/THE TONYS"
    05/26/2013 (09:00PM - 11:00PM) (Sunday)

It's a crucial moment for both shows as Tony nominations loom, but keeping your eye on the prize can be hard. As Tom (Christian Borle) crosses an influential Tony voter and Ivy (Megan Hilty) copes with some very distracting news, Derek's (Jack Davenport) past has repercussions for the entire "Hit List" team. On Tony night, the awards might not provide the answers everyone is looking for. As Jimmy (Jeremy Jordan) faces a final reckoning, Tom, Julia (Debra Messing), Derek (Jack Davenport), Karen (Katharine McPhee), Ivy, and most of all, Eileen (Anjelica Huston) wait to see if the ceremony will confirm their place in the Broadway pantheon once and for all. Rosie O'Donnell, Cheyenne Jackson, Ron Rifkin, and Bernadette Peters guest star.