Vartann&Willows #1Vartllows:b/c This Guy..'Can Hit the Bowl'

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by FallenforGrissom, Jul 31, 2006.

1. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Re: Vartann&Willows #1Vartllows:b/c This Guy..'Can Hit the Bowl'

Scenes were definitely better in this week's episode. They were just so completely...formal. I really hoped we would get a more clear picture of what happened between them before you know what happens in the future. It's a shame this is all we got which is nothing really. The "look" was great, though, they way he just couldn't hold back anything because of her I-know-there's-more face.

I agree. It was kind of mixed signals there. I don't know exactly what to think.

They did look really great in this episode :cool: :)

2. Sinclair

Sinclair Rookie

So i watched the ETonline video and Ted mentions at the end how Catherine 'nearly gets killed, falls in love, and realises there's more to life after CSI.' The falls in love bit really makes me think they'll be pairing her up and sending her off into the sunset with FBI guy. It's a real shame if they do that as i really think they had something good with Cath and Vartann. Here's hoping i'm wrong....

3. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Re that last post
    what evidence is there of it being the FBI guy?

4. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I'm so disappointed with how the Vartann and Cath romance has been handled. They already had her in what could be a solid, stable relationship which could be part of her sendoff and they not only make it vanish but they also bring in this totally new guy and make a totally new storyline. I just don't see the point in creating something new when they had something that worked.

I don't know if what Danson said about her falling in love has to do with the FBI guy or with Lou but I'm not exactly hopeful.

5. Sinclair

Sinclair Rookie

No evidence at all :)

I agree that they haven't exactly handled the relationship well but then i don't think CSI have ever really got a handle on relationships as that's not what the show is about. Certainly it looks like the new set of writers preferred going the FBI route instead of developing Catherine and Vartann. Having said that...

Alex Carter's interview seemed to hint at Cath and Vartann's relationship being left open at the end of the episode (whether he means 12.11 or 12.12 i'm not sure):

"CSI Files: She was just offered a job in D.C. From what you know right now does it seem like there’s a future for them?

Carter: This script right now that I just read and about to shoot–I thought it was over. I thought, “I’m not sure what they’re going to do with the relationship.” And then I realized when I read it I went, “Oh! I’m definitely going to do the episode after that, too.” There’s a link that allows it to move forward. But in what way and what direction and what capacity? I have no idea. Even when I read the scene that I had with her coming up that we have to shoot I thought, “This is still open ended.” I don’t know where it’s going to go in the next episode. The following episode will be the answer to that I think."

If Cath were to depart with the FBI guy than the relationship between Cath and Lou certainly wouldn't be open. Still he could just be being coy and certainly everything could have changed since the interview.

6. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I am so disappointed in how the relationship between Lou and Cath ended. When it all started I had such high expectations and thought it could be such a great storyline. They have amazing chemistry and it was believable. Suddenly it all came down to nothing and ended with "you deserve more". Lou's face just broke my heart. Of all the great things they could've done with these two the writers decide to give us this crappy ending. At least I think it is the end because Alex is not listed for next week's episode. I kept hoping she would turn to him during all the crisis but nothing. Ugh it was so frustrating.

7. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Lou looked a little jealous when Cath was talking to McQuaid, didn't he? I like that he drove her home from the scene of the FBI/Laura's deaths in a way. At the same time, I didn't like how the scene went. It was too quick and they hardly spoke. It seemed more like an afterthought on the part of the writers. Like they were thinking, "Oh we better let them have a scene together before she leaves or the C/V shippers will chew us out". I sort of liked Cath saying "you deserve more, Lou"... but at the same time, I was thinking, "But he wants YOU, Catherine!" lol.

8. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

He was definitely jealous. That's the thing that makes me the most sad about this whole storyline. It's been shown time and again that Lou is so head over heels for her. He really wants to be with her, really cares for her. And it's also been shown time and again that Cath is just not that interested. It's understandable from a character point of view because in real life if you don't like somebody you just don't like them, no matter how great he is. But I don't understand it from a writer's point of view. Here's a great chance for Catherine, who has been through so much in the love department, to be with someone who is decent, caring, and just an all around great guy and they decide to do.... well this. :wtf:

Definitely like an afterthought. Like "oh wait, they used to date and she's leaving and this is their last scene, we have to do something about that". :rolleyes:

Yep :(.

9. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

The car scene was heartbreaking. They barely spoke. But I did like how he put his hand on her knee or that's what it looked like. I think Cath was still i shock about what happened to her friend. He was there and she didn't mind at the moment.

The look on Lou's face was heartbreaking. He is so very much in love with her and she didn't know what to think of their relationship. The 'you deserve more Lou.' Had me thinking that she isn't sure of their relationship especially if she has a job offer in D.C. She doesn't expect him to wait for her. That's my thoughts anyway.

As I said on the episode thread, the looks on both their faces made me realize that it was two lovers walking away from one another. And it was done very well. Not overly dramatic at all.

I'm sad that her exit from CSI doesn't include Lou (at this point) but I'm a bit hopeful that she's not out of his life forever.

10. Sinclair

Sinclair Rookie

I really think the demise of this relationship was due to the change up in writers and staff. The new group coming in obviously weren't sold on Cath/Vartann. There's been so many contradictions and uncertainty to their relationship. If anything they had the chance to show Catherine in a different setting, happy and relaxed, but even then their relationship was largely angst filled.

Christopher Barbour made the comment that it was a strong relationship but not the relationship. So they give her McQuaid who turns out to be another Jerk in the long list of Jerks.

The car scene wasn't the way i expected them to end the relationship (although i'm not sure what they had at the end of the day). Lou didn't look too surprised at the break-up, disappointed but almost accepting that it would end that way. The wave at the end was sad but sweet.

At least this quasi relationship gave Alex the chance to do more with the Vartann character than just deliver information to move the scene along. Hopefully when Marg returns for her cameo Cath and Vartann will share a scene as friends at least.

Still, i'm going to look forward to Alex in Ep.14 'Seeing Red' hopefully he won't return to being the token detective on scene as he's shown the character as capable of more.

11. Lilith

Lilith Police Officer

you bring up a good point about the writers not being invested in the relationship :(. I guess what's done is done, as annoyed as I am about how they wrapped it up throughout the past 11 episodes. He was the only NON-JERK love interest that became her boyfriend and didn't die on her. That would be nice if they at least stayed good friends :), even if it's not the same.

12. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

After watching last night's episode I get the feeling Catherine really didn't know what she wanted. The part about her not sure about having a man in her life made me think of her and Vartann.

When she told him that he deserves more, yes it was heartbreaking but I think she has feeling for him, but she wasn't sure if she wanted to stay with CSI.

I know I'm being hopeful and a bit of fanfiction is coming out, but to me, I think him being a cop reminded her of everything she wanted to get away from. Being a CSI is hard and there is death and destruction everywhere.

So yes, it was hard to watch her walk away from him, and he's not dumb, he knew she wanted something else. I'm glad their scene wasn't dragged out or overly dramatic.

I hope when Marg does make a cameo, that he's involved as well. I don't think they could be 'just friends' but they could try to talk things out and maybe she could tell him how she felt about him.

13. electra

electra Pathologist

I have not watched in a long time but decided to give the last espisodes a try.I am still upset that The writers decided to end this relationship.He was a decent man and Catherine was happy.And to make the FBI guy another bad guy for her was not needed.

14. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

It's what I find so ironic. They decide that Catherine was not going to end up with the only decent, caring guy she has been with only to have her repeat the story of her life by being once more attracted to a crappy guy. Not exactly what I was expecting for her send off.