Episode 10x11 - 'Crowned' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Dec 10, 2011.

?

Grade

1. A+

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  2. A

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. B+

10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  4. B

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  5. C+

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  6. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. F

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Melrose: I feel like a bunny rabbit. :lol:

Ooh he's cute. Good thing he got the little girl out of there before she saw her mom like that. Crown used as murder weapon... that's different.

Love Ryan's shirt. :)

Ryan: Just let kids be kids. (Agree wholeheartedly)

Her mom makes her grow out her hair so she can cut it and use it for the little girl's "wiglets"? Yeesh.

Her middle name is Princess?

Just a tragic accident. Yeah, one that will haunt that little girl for the rest of her life.

What did Natalia say about the pin she used to unlock the girl's chains? A little trick she learned where?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  2. Ninja1088

Ninja1088 Witness

Wow is all I can say about the ending...just wow. As to the beauty thing itself..this episode wonderfully showed the problems I have with them.
    The kids are in no way enjoying themselves, it is simply a way for their parents to relive themselves through their kids. And the outfits...aren't that I would want my adult daughters to wear, let alone children.

3. Titaneers

Titaneers Victim

some of the stuff on csi miami has made my stomach churn because of some graphic images..... but today i nearly barfed at the beginning...

4. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

:beer:
    As much as I liked this episode, I couldn't do better than a "C". The outstanding graphics brought out the horrors of child pageantry, and what these mothers put their children through, displaying them like merchandise, bordering on child abuse. It was well done until the final scene.

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
    IMO, the PTB are making a huge mistake with their 180 treatment of Horatio's character. While there's a few who might appreciate this emerging side, the vast majority of Horatio's fan base who have remained constant have done so exactly because of his moral fiber, unrealistic though it may be. To see it destroyed in the quest for ratings is proof enough that TPTB have become disconnected from the fanbase.

5. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

I totally agree with every word you said. That ending scene just knocked the wind out of my sails. Until now I haven't had a problem with Horatio being a bit of a renegade and bit of tough guy. Of course, until now his crossing the line has just been implied. Like at the end of the season 6 episode "To Kill A Predator". At the end of that episode the screen went black before they showed whether or not Horatio roughed up the guy. This time there was NO implying. They actually showed Horatio letting the guy fall. I still like David Caruso but alot of my respect and admiration I had for Horatio started oozing over to CSI: NY's Mac Taylor after that last scene. They need another Stetler and QUICK. Someone to keep Horatio on his toes but also keep him in line, the way Stetler did in seasons 2 and 3.
    I'll let you all know what I thought of the rest of the episode...after I get over the shock of that last scene.

6. Hollyyo

Hollyyo CSI Level Two

Um. Crown in the eyeball???? Nightmares are coming tonight for sure. I had to look away. Miami isn't normally THAT gruesome..*
    Also, I will never EVER put my child in a pageant. It's disgusting....
    The family didn't seem to care that the mom died.*
    I'm so glad to see Ryan and Calleigh in more scenes together again. I feel like they play off each other perfectly.*
    Calleigh and the Melrose character were cute too.*

The sad truth about these children's pageants is that pedos are all over them..... Ughhhh.... So disgusting.... I shuddered when the team went to that weird outdoor little girl cage.... Bleh
    I seriously almost considered changing the channel for a minute when they first showed the theatre scene.*

I definitely teared up when they showed how the woman died....

Wait. Natalia said she learned to lock pick from Delko. RYAN is the one who does that.... Eric doesn't know how to do it according to past episodes....
    It's such a shame this episode was delayed so long... I think this was my favorite episode so far. I didn't anticipate most of the twists, it didn't drag, and it was an interesting and relevant storyline. I got freaked out by a couple of scenes, but I give this episode an A. It was so original and intriguing.*
    However, I feel like the nightmares are coming. :(

7. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

Just for the record, I have NO problem with the last scene. I suppose, if he'd just shot him, none of you guys would object? Why should he pull him back up? That was a big guy - he could well have taken H down with him. You'd want that?

8. DCHC4ever

DCHC4ever Prime Suspect

I agree with you Inthewind and CSI_Christmascarol, I did not like that ending and Horatio has crossed a line from which he can never come back. :confused::(:scream:

Horatio could have saved him if he had wanted too and if he was still the man he used to be. The man who saved Otis in season 1 even as Otis was slashing at his saving hand with a small blade that he had in his free hand, which was why he couldn't use it to save himself.

Also, it was not so much that Horatio didn't because that might place him in danger, but that he stood there coldly watching the guy slipping away and not wanting to interfere, wanting him to die. That he stood there afterwards and was completely cold and unfeeling about seeing and being part of this man's death. And the big one, even this year and certainly several times last year Horatio has coldly accused people of being judge, jury and executioner and for taking justice into their own hands as he arrests them. How can he function as a police officer and believe in leaving justice to the justice system, after he has done exactly what he has arrested others for.

Finally, no we don't need IAB anymore, because its only function would be to destroy Horatio for what he did.

9. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

Don't particularly want to get into a fight about this, although I would defend Horatio for as long as it takes. Point is, the man's changed, drastically, and why is anyone surprised? Given the amount of sh*t that's been thrown at him over the years, the amount of pain he's endured, was he really not going to crack? He looks tired, jaded, and has for a while. Now I've got no idea if this is a deliberate storyline that's leading somewhere or not. All I'm saying is, it doesn't surprise me, and my only feeling for H is sympathy.

10. Hollyyo

Hollyyo CSI Level Two

Lol... You guys.... I honestly did not even think about that last scene that much because I'm so used to H doing the vigilante thing. Now I feel bad. I should have thought about it more.

I did wonder what I would do in that situation. While I wouldn't blame someone else for doing it to a child molester, I think I personally MIGHT help him up and just let him get his punishment in prison.... And then in hell. That would be ideal, but you never know what is going to happen in situations like that.

11. spencerreidfan

spencerreidfan Police Officer

I gave this one an A+. Aside from the premiere, it was my favorite of the season :D

The "crowned" in the eye was super creepy, though I wonder if that flimsy little crown could spear through someone's skull.

Poor Melrose :( Even if she doesn't fully understand what happened that day, I doubt her family could ever really forgive her for the death of her mother. Props to the writers for bringing in a child psychologist. That needs to be done more often. Calleigh and Horatio work well with victimized children, but they're not experts.

I loved how the plot was split between the murder that became an accident and the creepy molester-kidnapper guy. I wonder what he was planning to do with Tori if the CSI's hadn't shown up :eek:

OMG for the ending scene! Go Horatio! I know people who hurt and exploit children are the filthiest scum in his book. God knows how many other little girls this guy this to. Did he really have to help Edwin up? No.

My only complaints were that Melrose's family seemed way too calm in the wake of the mom's murder. And I adore Walter, but does he ALWAYS have to be the one who comes up with the case cracker? The rest of the team have all put in their hours at school, too.

12. Bellemaria

Bellemaria Prime Suspect

I gave it A, but now I think I should've given A+
    As for the ending - GO H!:thumbsup: this scumbag doesn't merit to breathe the same air as other people (in spite of allusions that he was also abused in childhood in a same way)

daisymay
    couldn't agree more.

Yes, back in the days, he saved Stewart Otis and I always wondered why? He should've let him fall (IMHO)
    Horatio always does a right thing, wants to protect and save everyone even if the "object" wasn't very happy about it and if there was the one didn't deserve to be saved. But as daisymay said he's got through so much. So I'm not surprised that he lost a bit his faith in humanity.
    The only good thing that happend to him (and not ended bad) is finding Kyle, think about it.

CSI_ChristmasCarol
    no, noway. Stetler never keeps Horatio in line (IMHO). H always did all that he wants, I mean all he thought he should do;) Statler won some battles (Antnio Riaz's extradition, Ron Saris, etc) but H won the war:cool:

13. Ninja1088

Ninja1088 Witness

Agree with you about Walter Spencer. He is taking on way too much of a dominating role in this series.
    As for the ending..yes the guy was a monster but H is slowly becoming one himself. He did let the man die at the end and if it was a non law enforcement person, I can't see where they wouldn't be charged with something. We've seen H lecture others about making the choice about whether someone lives or dies..and that's exactly what H did here.

14. greatfan

greatfan Captain

The family was very calm.
    I wondered if all that happened with her daughter will lead Tori's mom to letting go of pushing her daughter into the spotlight and letting her live as a little girl should?
    I actually think that Ryan and Calleigh going through the video footage was very significant also. It was from the videos that they learned it was the girls that were the target leading to the scumbag husband.Sometimes there are more than one greatly contributing factors that solves and closes the case.

15. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I gave it a C+ which is a shame cause it was actually a great episode, BUT the last scene ruined it for me. Horatio did have to save him. Why? Because he is a COP. He has to live by a code and let justice work through a system he should stand for. Even if the system is broken, even if the guy/gal is the filthiest of scum, it is his duty to do things as the law says he has to do them. He just stood there and did nothing and let the guy die instead of bringing him in. So he arrests vigilantes but it's ok to be one himself? Hypocritical much?? I hate what they've done to his character. Even if he has gone through crap and pain and what not. I think it would've been a much stronger message for him to have stuck to his morals and his duty as a cop IN SPITE of all he went through.

Anyway, the episode was a solid one, excluding the end. It reminded me a bit of Stuart Otis and his storyline. The scenes with Calleigh and Morgan were my favorites. Calleigh is wonderful with kids. It was heartbreaking to realize that it had been such a terrible accident. I was interested throughout. Still not a fan of Sam but I like her scenes with Walter. Their friendship is believable.