What Books Are You Reading?-#3

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

Well, yet another one bites the dust...unginished. For me, this thread is jinxed. I'm through messing with the jinx...:klingon:NO more posts from me till I actually finish a book. :klingon:

2. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

I just finished "44 Charles Street" by Charles Street. Fantastic read. I loved it. It had some great twist and turns that I really did not expect. If you like her work this was one of her best. I just started the new Nicholas Sparks "The Best Of Me". As of chapter 4 it is pretty good.

3. luvspeed

luvspeed Police Officer

i finished reading "The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor". I thought it was pretty cool. If you're a fan of the comics and the TV show you'll love it. I totally recommend it! :)

4. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Hit and Run

I recently finished a great book by Peter May called The Blackhouse. A murder mystery thriller with a detective investgating a murder in his hometown in Scotland, whilst also dealing with all the demons and problems of his childhood. A really good read.

5. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

The Race by Clive Cussler and Justin Scott. There's three series by Cussler that I read - the Dirk Pitt Adventures, the Fargo Adventures, and the Isaac Bell Adventures. This one's an Isaac Bell Adventure. It takes place in the early 1900's and is about an aeroplane race crossing the United States. One of the competitors, Josephine Frost, has to be protected by the Van Dorn Detective Agency (Isaac Bell) from her husband who has already tried to kill her once. (Mr.) Frost is also a criminal that the Van Dorn Detective Agency, especially Isaac Bell, has been after for years. So far he's the one who's always seemed to get the better of them and their motto is that they always get their man.

Cussler never seems to disappoint me even when he gets on land (or above!). I started with Dirk Pitt and the guys in NUMA with Raise the Titanic back in the 80's and have been hooked ever since. :thumbsup:

Susan

6. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I'm currently reading Michael Connelly's The Drop. It's a new Harry Bosch book. Harry is asked to lead the investigation into Irvin Irving's sons death. Bosch and Irving have a history going back to when Bosch was working Robbery-Homicide and Irvin was a deputy Chief. Now Irving wants Bosch to investigate his son's death.

7. luf100

luf100 Coroner

I haven't had time to read anything but books for school, but some of the ones I read for English were okay. There was Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (sucked, I didn't finish it), The Awakening by Kate Chopin, Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe and Green Grass, Running Water by Thomas King. Things Fall Apart and GGRW were okay.

Right now I'm attempting to read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I tried to read it before and got about halfway through and just got bored, it's a really slow book but I do remember most of what I read before so I'm trying it again. I want to re-read the Dexter series soon too.

8. SunsetBoulevard

SunsetBoulevard moderator.exe Moderator

I'm reading lots of books right now, I don't even know how I'm still able to keep track of all of them. Here's my list:

A Brief History of Time (Stephen Hawking)
    Fight Club (Chuck Palahniuk)
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (J. K. Rowling)
    Maturity (Osho)
    The Blind Watchmaker (Richard Dawkins)
    The Power of Now (Eckhart Tolle)

And now my to-read list:

Crime and Punishment (Dostoyevsky)
    The Sea-Gull (Chekhov)
    Persuasion (Jane Austen)

9. gsrfan82

gsrfan82 Witness

I just finished reading the book called The Young Samurai: Way of Warrior by Chris Bradford few days ago. I have no idea what next book to read I have so many books including CSI novels I haven't read yet.

10. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

I just got a pile (about 7) CSI novels from the library. I've read a few before, and found them mostly enjoyable. I like that the books can give a more in-depth explanation of the forensics, without characters having to act like the other CSI they're talking to doesn't know anything about their job. :)

I'm also waiting (impatiently!) for Kevin Hearne's new books. I read his first three books (Hounded, Hexed, Hammered), and of course the last one ended with things unresolved (not quite a cliffhanger, but still left me wanting way more!). :scream: The new one isn't out until March or May or something. :(

11. blackflag

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow. As the saying goes Big Brother is watching well, Little Brother is retaliating. Terrorists have bombed the Bay Bridge in San Francisco. A group of 4 teenagers (around 17 or so) took refuge in the subway tunnels when the alarm rang. When they were trying to get out because they were getting seriously squished one of them (Daryll) got stabbed and his buddy Marcus was just trying to get anybody stopped to give him help and got the wrong vehicle stopped. Marcus, Vanesa, & Julu get taken into custody by the Department of Homeland Security and are interogated for several days and basically treated as terrorists. Eventually they get released only to find out that San Francisco has basically become a police state and 'Big Brother' is legally watching every move you make. When Marcus takes a few too many random trips on the subway he gets picked up by the police and questioned. He decides to use his considerable hacking skills to do something about it.

Susan

12. luf100

luf100 Coroner

^ I read that book a few years ago and it was SO SO SO good. I really loved it.

I'm not reading anything currently but I just figured out that another Dexter book came out in October, so hopefully I'm going to get that for Christmas. :D

13. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

i'm reading a book at the moment called Paris Requiem. it is a murder mystery set in 1899 France before the Universal Exposition. i read about this time period for an art history class and i loved learning about so when i found this book i had to get it (found it at a used book store for $3).

next book i am reading is a guide to all 6 of The Thin Man films called The Thin Man: Murder Over Cocktails. i am OBSESSED with The Thin Man films especially the first one, i cannot wait to get the book (i ordered it) and read it. Nora Charles/Myrna Loy is my idol by the way.... just had to throw that in haha.

over the summer i read a lot of literature. Gone with the Wind (amazing!!!), Jane Eyre, and Little Women i especially liked. somewhere down the line i plan on reading Wuthering Heights.

14. blackflag

Yes, it was an excellent book. I do not understand why our school system does not have it on the summer reading list. But then our school system is not very observent with what they have on the summer reading list. :rolleyes: May recommend it to my nephew anyways.

I've just started on Zap: The Rise and Fall of Atari by Scott Cohen. I saw in an e-mail from Barnes and Noble a new book on Atari and decided to see if there was anything on Atari at our library (after all I do have 2 working Atari 2600's sitting in a box! :lol:). This is what I came up with. Figure it should be, at least interesting. :)

Susan

15. luvspeed

luvspeed Police Officer

i just finished reading "The Mummy or Ramses the Damned" by Anne Rice. I thought it was pretty cool.