Add a Bit (Horatio and Rick slash)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by HnStetlerfan, Aug 28, 2008.

1. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

(and now to continue our story)

"Maybe now isn't the best time to remind me of that," Rick laughed, pressing his heels against the colt's sides and guiding him out of the arena gate.

"Nervous?", the trainer asked.

"Nah...well, just a bit."

"You'll do fine. Just follow that path that starts there." Carl pointed. "It leads to all the trails. And if you follow it to the end, you'll come to a nice wide trail that has a fence parallel to it. That would be an ideal one to let Nickerie run on."

"OK, thanks Carl." Rick and Nickerie headed to the start of the path and Rick smiled and mused to himself that he would no doubt get to sneak a peek at just where Horatio had strolled off to.

2. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

But when Rick reached the end of the path and came to the wide trail with the fence alongside, he hadn't caught any sight of H. The path was on an incline enabling Rick to have a view of the stables below, so he was surprised he hadn't been able to spot him. "Hmmph". Rick shrugged and turned his attention toward the trail. It was as perfect as Carl had described.

It looked about a mile long if not longer. Rick reached down and patted Nickerie's neck. Rick felt dampness on the sleek fur. The colt began pawing the ground with his left foreleg, the hoof churning up dirt that looked as good quality as what would be seen at a real racetrack that used good, natural turf. "Yeah, you know exactly what's going on, don't ya boy," Rick said, grinning.

The brunet thought the best thing to do to be on the safe side would be to ride Nickerie down the length of the trail at a walk first to be sure there were no obstructions that could cause any trouble. Pulling gently on the left rein, Rick nudged the colt to begin walking down the trail. Nickerie immediately broke into a bouncy, erratic prance known to equestrians as a "jig". The brunet pulled back on the reins, but Nickerie only raised his head high to avoid the bit. Before Rick could use the reins again to orchestrate a training technique to gain control of the colt, Nickerie bolted forward, going from "zero to sixty" down the wide trail. All Rick could do was quickly lean forward into the surging stride, grab the dark mane and try his best to channel Bill Shoemaker.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  3. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

Now he focused on the fact that Nickerie was rocketing down the wide trail at full gallop a little sooner than planned and went with it. He leaned forward even more in the saddle as he became aware of the feeling that none of the colt's hooves were actually touching the ground. Rick knew they were, of course, but since Nickerie was going so fast and his hooves were only briefly contacting the ground, it felt like he and his colt were flying.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  4. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

It was like a spiritual experience when this happened, and it only happened on a horse that was remarkably fast. Rick smiled and enjoyed the wind whooshing against his face and through his hair. For a moment, he wondered what it would be like if Nickerie really could fly.

On each side of the trail all the scenery was zipping by in a blur. To the right, Rick knew there was a fence paralleling the trail, but at this speed, it could have been anything. The same was true for the scenery to his left, where he knew there was a hill leading down to the stables; all he saw was a mishmash of green and brown shapes.

When he looked straight ahead, however, he could see things more clearly, though the scenery trembled and fluctuated in time with Nickerie's hoof beats as if Rick was looking at it through a hand held camera. One thing Rick could definitely see was that the end of the trail was coming up. It looked like the wide trail they were currently on branched off into two smaller, possibly narrow trails about a quarter mile up ahead. Rick would have to stop the colt before they got to that point as the colt was going much too fast to be able to safely handle a narrow, unknown trail of any kind.

5. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

Rick allowed Nickerie to run a bit more and then pulled back on the reins. He used several firm, short tugs to get Nickerie's attention and get him to slow down. It was a special technique used on bolting horses. It wasn't working. It caused Nickerie to break stride, but then he gathered his hooves under himself again, thrust his nose forward, and continued to gallop just as fast as before.

Just up ahead the trail branch-off loomed. Rick had to think fast what to do. The trail that branched off to the left was very narrow-appearing while the one that branched to the right wasn't nearly as narrow as it had first seemed. It, in fact, looked like a fairly wide trail, just not as wide as the one they were currently on. The problem was that since Nickerie had been trained for racing in the U.S., where horses ran counter-clockwise on the track, he would tend to veer to the left and onto the dangerous trail. Rick felt his heart pound in his chest. What if Horatio or someone else was walking up that narrow trail? It looked like it led down to the stables. Why didn't Horatio just tell him where he was walking off to? Why had he acted so mysterious?

Rick pulled on the right rein to see if he could get the colt to move over to the right in preparation for the turn to the safer trail. Nickerie acquiesced, edging over. About ten more strides later, they were galloping onto the safer trail. Rick tried the technique again to get Nickerie to stop, and this time the colt slowed, at first to a slower gallop and then to a canter. Rick pulled on the reins again and finally brought the colt to a stop.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  6. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

Rick took a deep breath and exhaled. "Good boy, Nickerie", he said to his colt. Nickerie fidgeted a bit, not wanting to stand completely still. Rick considered continuing on this new trail they were on, but decided to save it for the next time. He turned Nickerie around to head back the way they came, keeping a firm hold on the reins. Once turned around, Nickerie launched into a canter that quickly became a medium gallop. But this time, the colt wasn't fighting the bit, and Rick found that he could control him. He let Nickerie continue at the medium gallop, and when they were about a half mile back to the original start of the wide trail, Nickerie slowed down on his own to a trot and then a walk. Rick smiled in amusement. "So you're finally pooped, huh? Got all that feisty energy out of your system?" Rick chuckled. Nickerie nickered softly.

7. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

Rick felt invigorated as he carefully steered the tired colt down the bridle path that led back to the stables. He had let Nickerie run, and it had apparently been just what the colt needed. Rick breathed in the perfumed air that smelled of the many orange groves on the stable's grounds, closed his eyes briefly and smiled. He wanted to tell Horatio all about the wide trail and the orange groves that were on the other side of the fence. He hoped they could get permission to pick some oranges sometime.

As he and Nickerie got about halfway down to the bottom of the hill, Rick craned his neck to see if Horatio was near the arena or barn area, but there were some other taller native trees blocking his view. He did notice that in the other direction--the direction of the stable's entrance, someone was up on a ladder replacing the stable's sign. He was glad because he had missed seeing the familiar wooden banner that welcomed them to Bright Star Stables when they drove in.

Rick looked over to his right again, and the arena and barn area came into view as he and his colt descended the hill. They were almost to the bottom, and he could see Carl in the arena on a rotund black and white pinto. To his surprise, Horatio was conversing with Carl while astride a shiny chestnut-colored horse.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  8. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

As he approached the arena, Rick saw the stable owner Russell Van Dreelen talking to a woman on a white Arabian-type horse over near the barn. They both saw him and waved. Rick smiled and waved back. Leaning from the saddle, Rick unlatched the arena gate, and he and Nickerie entered.

"Just leave it open", Carl called before the brunet could close the gate behind him. Rick couldn't help noticing how hilarious the tall athletic trainer looked on what was an almost pony-sized, plump pinto. But what he really noticed, and was amazed by, was how handsome Horatio looked on his red chestnut mount. And how the horse's coat color matched Horatio's hair color exactly.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  9. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

To Rick, Horatio had never looked more powerful and beautiful than he did on this red chestnut. The brunet remembered Horatio telling him about how he had participated in official parades on horseback during his time in New York. Rick now could all too easily imagine how Horatio must have looked in those parades in his formal dress blues. Rick's mouth had fallen open, and he didn't realize Nickerie was still standing just inside the arena gate waiting for a cue from him.

"Hey Rick! Get over here!" The redhead was smiling and waving him over.

Rick quickly composed himself, gave Nickerie the necessary cues, and the colt walked to the center of the arena where Horatio and Carl were talking.

Horatio was giving Rick a toothy smile which turned into hearty chuckling. Carl was chuckling, too. They were both staring at him like he'd grown a third eye or something.

Rick frowned. "Why--"

"Your hair, Rick," Horatio began, trying to stifle his laughter. "It looks like you just got through driving in the Indy 500 in a convertible."

Rick's hand immediately went to his hair, and he tried to smooth it out. "Better?" he asked the redhead.

"A little." Horatio shifted in his saddle, his eyes examining his brunet lover.

"What happened to your riding helmet?" Carl asked.

"Oh, man. It must have come off when Nickerie was running."

"Well, don't worry about it," Carl said. "Andie Van Dreelen and I are going to ride up to the wide trail in a few minutes. I'll find it for you and put it in a safe place if you're not still here when we get back."

"Thanks Carl, I appreciate it."

"No problem. So how did Nickerie do? He sure looks tired out and calm now."

"Yeah, he's pooped. I think your idea has worked perfectly."

"Excellent. Then we'll add it to Nickerie's training plan."

A woman's voice came from outside the arena. "OK, Carl, I'm ready!"

"That's Andie," Carl said. "She recently returned from traveling in Europe and has missed riding her filly Blanca." The trainer lifted the pinto's reins. "I've got to go. I'll see you again soon, gentlemen."

Rick and Horatio said goodbye to the trainer and watched him ride over to where the brown-haired woman, who wore a hairstyle reminiscent of a young Mary Astor, waited for him.

Rick turned his attention to Horatio and the chestnut. "That is one nice looking horse, Horatio."

"Yes, he certainly is." The redhead cocked his head and smiled at the brunet, blushing slightly. "You know that empty stall across from Nickerie's that we were, um, frolicking in?

Rick nodded, his lips curling into a grin.

"Well, that stall was being prepared for Solitaire here." Horatio reached down and patted the side of his mount's neck.

Just then, the chestnut, Solitaire, stretched his nose out and sniffed Rick's leg.

Horatio chortled. "Yeah he did that to me, too. I think he knows it was us who invaded his space." Horatio's shoulders shook with laughter.

Rick felt himself blushing.

"Anyway, it turned out he was for sale," the redhead continued. "And I'd like to buy him so that you and I can ride together without my having to use a rental horse."

"That would be great, Horatio." Rick smiled, thrilled with the idea of he and his lover both having their own horses. "I think you definitely should buy him."

"OK, I will then." Horatio stated. "But before I do, let's be sure he and Nickerie will get along. I know Nickerie's tired, but let's ride them around the arena once side by side to see if they'll be pals."

Horatio and Rick began to ride their two horses around the arena next to each other. Before they were halfway around, Solitaire, who was a four year old Thoroughbred stallion, reached over and nuzzled the younger colt's neck. Nickerie reciprocated the gesture, nickering softly. Solitaire nickered back a little louder and nuzzled the younger colt again. This cuteness continued until the two men looked at each other, laughed and said, "I think they're going to be fine."

Horatio made arrangements to buy Solitaire, and after the two horses were comfortably back in their stalls, the two men drove back to the house to meet Rick's parents for dinner.

10. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

**Farls and Fritters**
    December 2011

Horatio and Rick had come into the sitting room of their house to relax and look out at the ocean. Rick had been making a huge amount of Christmas cookies over the last three days, and he had placed a large tray of many different kinds on the coffee table. Horatio reached forward, choosing a star-shaped sugar cookie with red and green sprinkles on it. He took a bite, chewing thoughtfully. He took a sip of the Dutch coffee Rick had made for him. He appreciated the way the brunet was always so concerned for him at this time of year. He always tried to make sure Horatio was as comfortable as possible. And the fact was, that over the past three years, each Christmas had gotten easier because of Rick's careful doting and the help of the therapist the brunet had found for him.

Marrying Rick Stetler had been extremely good for Horatio's mental and physical well-being.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  11. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

January 2, 2012

"Russell and Andie sure know how to throw a party," Horatio commented, as the two men entered their house after spending the past two nights at the Van Dreelen's estate.

"Yes, and I hate to admit it, but I overindulged." The brunet ran a hand over his face, resting it on his forehead for a moment before returning it to his side.

"I warned you, colt." The redhead smiled. "Next time, I'll have to handcuff your hands behind your back the whole time so that doesn't happen."

"Oh, I'm sure the Van Dreelen's would find that very entertaining."

"I have no doubt they would," Horatio said in a low, teasing voice.

Over the past three years, Horatio and Rick had become good friends with the owners of Bright Star Stables, Russell and Andie Van Dreelen. They had learned not too far into the friendship that the couple had quite an adventurous open marriage. Russell had been having a relationship with the trainer Carl Vandenberg for many years, and Russell's wife Andie had a European lover named Melinda.

"Rick", Horatio said, his voice now gentle. "Go lie down on the sofa, and I'll fix you Tante Heloise's hangover remedy."

"Thanks, H."

"It's my pleasure, colt. You always take such good care of me every Christmas. Let me take care of you now."

Rick walked into the sitting room with the ocean view and crumpled down onto the comfortable sofa. He closed his eyes. About a half a minute later, he heard a friendly mew and felt a soft form move across his lower legs. Then he heard purring from the top part of the back of the sofa near his shoulder. He opened his eyes part way and saw one of the new kittens that had come into he and Horatio's lives curled up, watching him with a concerned look. Rick reached up and stroked the silky black and white fur. "Hello, Whiskers, you sweet lil thing." Rick let his eyes close again.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012