Grade 'Means to an End'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Dec 2, 2011.

?

How would you grade Means to an End?

1. A+

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. A

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. A-

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. B+

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. B

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. rhymes81

rhymes81 Victim

IMO that's still an example of poor storytelling. We should have seen Curtis trailing her or something. But I suppose in the interest of time we were just supposed to assume that was the case. Regardless, I found the whole thing a bit of a let down. I'm glad Jo's got her closure and that Curtis is permanently off the streets, but in a case like this I guess I would have preferred if things hadn't been tied up in such a neat little bow. The case had the potential to be complex and interesting and it ended up being contrived and the "showdown" between Jo and Curtis ended up being underwhelming.

2. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

I thought the episide was a great conclusion to the DC rape case storyline. It's been a long time since we had an episode full of twists. I never suspected the senator did the setup. He had all tje motive but the story focused also on Jo's former colleague. I know Jo's going to be okay in the end but my heart was racing in that last scene. I was excited how she was going to escape/beat John Curtis.

I laughed a couple of times on the Central Park scene with Lindsay and Adam. I was like "whoa, easy! :lol:" when she told him not to make her regret bringing him out of the lab. I always like it when Lindsay is bossy around Adam. It's fun to see another side of their awkward/weird relationship.

There was lesser than usual Mac. But I'm pretty sure we'll see more of him this second-half of the season.

About being to much Jo. Yes it had too much Jo. And for me it's a good thing. It's her case in the first place. I think this is the first she had an entire episode? The past two episodes had B-case. And on season 7 when her family came to the lab, there was also a B-case/story. Sela/Jo deserves a great episode like this.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  3. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I'm just glad it didn't drag on. Vegas and Miami have both had story arcs that may have started great and then just went on and on and on. Well Vegas' was good in the beginning (Haskell) Miami with Mala Noche has just been awful from the get go.

I'm glad we got the story as a B case for two episode and then as the A case for one final episode and it's over. Haskell just got so contrived and comedic that it was just pathetic and it was due mostly to dragging on for so long. Anyway, I'm just saying that I'm glad this story arc wasn't like that and it was just tied up quick and nice.

4. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

This is going to sound very technical, but I thought the episode kind of failed because of how it was edited. The storyline and the twists were ok (minus the senator killing Ali. I agree that was a stretch, even though I can totally believe him setting up Curtis), but with the '48 hours earlier' and how they edited in the flashbacks, it felt very contrived and rather forced and somewhat boring. It had very little flow.

As for Curtis not realizing there was a bullet in the chamber, that I found hard to believe too. When you load a clip into into a semi-automatic, you initially have to rack back the slide to load that first bullet in. After that, when the final bullet is fired, the slide locks back so that when you reload all you have to do is release the slide and the first round automatically chambers. But since when you initially load there isn't a round in the chamber, I don't know a single person who doesn't rack that first round in before holstering their gun. Think about it, if an officer needs to draw down on a suspect, are they going to have it where they have to take the time pull back on the slide and chamber that first round and keep track of whether there's one in there or not? No. That's what the 'safety' is for. The gun is kept loaded with a round in the chamber and the safety on until the trigger is ready to be pulled. And anyone who uses and is familiar with handguns knows and does the same thing. So no, I found it SO convenient and contrived that Curtis overlooked the round in the chamber.

I also have a huge problem with how he got in the apartment in the first place. There was a single hole in the window.... what exactly was that for? And I'm assuming since he clearly didn't break it while Jo was at the place (since there's no way she wouldn't have heard the window break), therefore we have to assume he was already there. But why? How the hell would he know that other victim had been called to the precinct for questioning about her rape? Again, all very contrived and convenient.

As for the senator caving under Mac's interrogation, they've been doing that with the show since it began. To me it wasn't anything new, but maybe it's starting to feel convenient just because they've done it so much by now. On the other hand, I don't really complain because I love watching Mac's interrogations and how Gary acts them ;) :lol:

Overall I gave a 'B'. It could have both been better and worse. The storyline had a lot of potential, but it fell flat by how they put it together. But on the bright side at least they had a mostly interesting storyline. The poor execution on the part of the editing just frustrated me to no end.