Grade 'Means to an End'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Dec 2, 2011.

?

How would you grade Means to an End?

1. A+

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. A

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. A-

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. B+

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. B

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

I agree, I was glad to see Michael Weston again. I loved when he was on House. Cute guy. I was disappointed that he was in on the crime.

I also was frustrated that senator guy was in on it. It was thoughtless to his daughter to commit a crime and get locked up. I'm guessing she didn't have her mother, since it always seemed to be senator and the girl.

Did Curtis get the victim to lure Jo to that apartment? How did he know she was going to be there? That bothered me.

2. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

I don't think so unless he followed her. I did think of that though, maybe he get the victim to lure Jo to her apartment.

When the first scene came, i thought the woman in the corner, was Lindsay. Damn, it really almost looked like her.

3. CRM

CRM Prime Suspect

This episode is average, though, somehow predictable. I've wanted Jo to get dirty or at least be small when being attacked. But I'm glad that she killed Curtis without needing anyone to back her up. And I'm glad that she has gotten some action since she has been somehow in the background or in her own comfort zone. What I didn't think I get is the whole 2-day lapsing on her partner's mistake. Whether it was done intentionally or what, especially for someone highly obsessed with Curtis.

It's nice that Adam was out of the lab, and yes it was a postcard picturesque scenery, minus the dead body. Poor Adam had to turn away by the ever-uppity Lindsay, who pretty much annoyed me when asking Sid (or was it Mac) if it was possible to punch oneself to death. I like how she and Mac would conclude that the GHB girl injured herself even after lying about the whole GHB intake to frame Curtis. The episode would've been more conclusive and to have Jo's partner explained his mistake more if they decrease the whole punching herself, injuring herself, whatever herself storyline. And how nice of Lindsay to conclude that self-infliction without examining the GHB girl's hands or knuckles, even for someone who can conclude that a dead girl having callous or whatever it was on her hands that she was a country girl in a previous episode.

And I'm liking Flack, Hawkes, and Danny throughout this episode. This gets a B-.

4. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Gave it an A+. Loved it. Sela was just amazing in everything she did.

I thought the way it was all wrapped up was great. It had enough twists that kept one guessing. I really couldn't figure out who killed the girl; whether the FBI guy, the senator, Curtis, or the senator's daughter. I for one am glad we didn't see more of Michael Weston, he really annoyed me in House so I wasn't looking forward to seeing him here.

The scene with Jo getting attacked and saving herself was awesome. I really had no idea how she was going to get out of it and when she mentioned the bullet in the chamber I thought it was a great way to save herself. Curtis was smart but that doesn't mean he knew anything about guns. He was a rapist and as far as I remember he never used guns when committing his crimes. So to me it was very believable.

Mac comforting Jo without even having to say a word spoke volumes of how close they've become. I loved that last shot with the two of them after she leaned into him. They are just so relaxed with each other and I find their relationship very enjoyable to watch.

Very solid episode.

5. ioanhoratio

ioanhoratio Victim

This episode was a big disappointment for me. I expect character-centered episodes to feature said character, but there was way too much Jo for me. Which is a risk character-centered episodes run. I like Jo, but I didn't like what this story line did to her character. She seemed so unapproachable and at times unreasonable.

I just really felt the writing on this episode was weak. Frank Waters character was a flash in the pan that didn't amount to anything, the Senator's involvement with the case was obvious and cliched, the "evidence" trail was disjointed and a stretch (a hair-to hotel receipts-to dmv photos?), the ending was lazy and convenient. John Curtis was most likely going to get away with what he had done so to ensure the all mighty arm of CSI:NY justice is fulfilled Curtis attacks Jo. I didn't buy it. Nor do I buy the Senator murdering Ali. He is so consumed with what happened to his little girl that he was willing to murder another father's little girl? Especially since Ali didn't demand more money or threaten to go to the cops. Convoluted and uninspired.

I was one of those tweeting about the lack of Lindsay. I thought they really did a great job setting up the emotional impact of this trail, but the writers went no where with it. I would have preferred to see Jo work WITH Lindsay to get this guy rather than work around her. I really want to see the only two women on the show get a chance to develop a relationship.

A disappointing ending for a story that had so much potential--particularly since the last episode was so strong.

6. MS1213

MS1213 Hit and Run

Word to this.

I am not a gun expert either, but even I would have known there was the possibility of a bullet still being in the chamber.

7. alicelc

alicelc Victim

I really enjoyed this episode; gave it an A+. I understand why some may not like the amount of Jo scenes but I suppose when it's a character-centered episode such as this, it's expected? Then again, I'm a Sela fan so no complaints :D

I was wondering why Jo still went for the gun when John emptied the bullets. Something hidden? I thought she was carrying a backup gun but nope. I don't know anything about guns and how it works so I didn't know about the bullet in the chamber.

The ending was sweet. "Never Let me Go" is repeating on my playlist, yay :D

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  8. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

I never thought of the bullet in the chamber though. I didn't realize when the gun is loaded there is a bullet in the chamber.

9. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I didn't know that either. I don't think it's exactly common knowledge.

Yeah that's the thing about character-centered episode they seem to polarize the fans most of the time.

10. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

I wondered if he convinced the victim to lure Jo but I guess not.

11. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

That was my biggest problem with the episode. I didn't buy that twist at all--I felt like it was just there to shock the audience. Just a twist so it wasn't her former partner or Curtis. I absolutely believed he'd hire her, but not that he'd kill her.

Yep. And the gun thing was silly. Even if he had no idea about the bullet in the chamber, is he really going to watch her crawl towards the gun and not think, gee, maybe there's some reason she might think the gun is worth going after?

Overall, it kept my interest for the hour, but the above twists were awfully convenient/hard to believe.

C+

12. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Maybe he would get away with raping a lot of women but they were going to build a case with the woman in the apartment. That's why Jo was there, to collect the evidence and build a case with it. So they could've easily ended the episode by taking him in and charging him with raping that woman. I think the attack on Jo was more about how personal the case was for her and how she was getting closure by killing the guy. With him dead he is off the streets for good. So IMO it wasn't so much about NY justice (they could've done that with the new case they had) but about Jo getting personal closure. Now it's really over for her.

13. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

Only problem I got is how did Curtis know where Jo was? Wish they had shown him following her or something.

In my opinion, I think Curtis kidnapping Jo would have been better and I thought maybe she would have been kidnapped.

14. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Well, my interpretation of that scene was that the he thought she was kind of out of it from him hitting her. It looked like she had a headwound or something, maybe he thought she was disoriented and wouldn't realize he'd unloaded the gun. If that's the case, he seriously misjudged our Jo. :D She's no weakling and it takes more than that to disorient her.

But yeah, the writers should have specified. It did seem a bit jumbled. Although I did enjoy her line and the "oh crap!" look on his face when she said there was a bullet in the chamber. :lol:

15. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I just thought that Curtis would be keeping an eye on things, especially since Jo was involved and he knew that she would be doing anything and everything to get him. So I think he was watching her and ended up following her to the girl's apartment.