Episode 10x09 -- 'A Few Dead Men' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Nov 19, 2011.

?

What Did You Think?

1. A+

13.8%
  2. A

20.7%
  3. B+

20.7%
  4. B

27.6%
  5. C+

3.4%
  6. C

6.9%
  7. D

6.9%
  8. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hollyyo

Hollyyo CSI Level Two

What a great episode for Rex!! He definitely shined in this episode. I was so glad to see that. Eric only had one scene. But isn't he shooting a movie or something? I'm kinda sad Nat was missing again. :/
    The case from 19 years ago was just horrifying. It was almost too much to watch at the beginning. There were some technical things that bothered me, like some of the music and editing, but other than that, I give this episode a B. The story was good, and had twists beyond the expected twists.
    GNRF, I didn't hear Ryan say Frankie, but now I want to watch the whole thing over again to see that! But did anyone hear Calleigh call Ryan "Wolfe?" That was interesting. I don't ever remember her calling him that.
    I understand why many hated this episode, but I liked it. Anything that doesn't have an H/E drama/action/Marisol plot is usually good with me lol...

2. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I did hear her call Ryan "Wolfe".

3. spencerreidfan

spencerreidfan Police Officer

I gave it a B+.

I had no idea this episode would be centered on Frank, but I loved it! The case from his early days as a patrol officer was a well deserved and long overdue storyline.
    Rex Linn did a fantastic job of showing his character's softer side; we all know that underneath that tough-guy exterior is a big, cuddly Texan teddy bear :D

The only time I missed Natalia's presence was when Ryan sent the DNA from the victim's pants up to Calleigh instead of her. It actually helped move the episode along better to have one of our seven regular cast members out of the picture. I don't think it should be Natalia every time, however.

The guys playing the older versions of the killers were creepy as hell and did a great job in their roles. Quite a shocking twist that only two were actually guilty. Did anyone else think that they looked more Horatio's age than 40 year olds? Prison must have been pretty tough on them :devil:

Best line of the night:

Bruce Faber - What would you do if your son was dead and the killer was set free?

Horatio - I wouldn't have gotten caught.

4. Titaneers

Titaneers Victim

I liked it... didn't love it or hate it.. But a Frank episode is a pleasant surprise.. very few episodes advances his character..
    kinda knew at the beginning what the ending would look like... bit predictable and felt like i've seen this episode before..

5. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

Not a bad episode. It had a "ripped from the headlines" feel (the Memphis Three).

Random Thoughts:

Loved loved LOVED Frank being more front and center and RL knocked it out of the park!! Having it be Frank's first homicide and it sticking with him for 19 years, showing Frank's softer side. And Horatio telling him that this case sticking with him made him so good.

Boy's Dad: What would you do if your son was murdered and the killer went free?
    Horatio: I wouldn't have gotten caught.

I thought the Ryan scenes were quality and he seemed to have a major hand in solving the case. IMHO, the writers are attempting to portray Ryan a little more mature and responsible and it sure shows.

Ryan: Prepare to be dazzled.

Too bad Natalia was MIA

It is very good to see Calleigh in action again. I feel as if I am seeing Calleigh from a few years ago; compassionate and tough. Good to see her working with Ryan again.

Kinda felt bad for girl; she thought she was doing the right thing and she got raped because of it.

Too bad Victor was innocent and had to spend time in jail for a crime he didn't committ but that doesn't excuse stabbing his codefendant to death. As he said at least he is going to prison for something he did do.

Enjoyable eppie.

6. fanilowchick

fanilowchick Police Officer

An A. It would have been an A plus for me if Natalia had been in it, and if a couple of little unrealistic things had been left out. Bravo to Frank :)

7. Linda&Horatio

Linda&Horatio Witness

I enjoyed the episode overall but loved it more because of it being Frank centered. He is a tough guy but seeing that young lad's body caused Frank some sensitivity. I really liked it that Frank brought the pic to the tree in memory of this kid. I just love Frankie so much. :)

Well those guys had me mad at times through the entire show. How smug and arrogant did they have to be. I did feel sorry for the singer though. She found out just how creepy one of these guys are. I don't blame the parents of that boy to be out for revenge. What's up with one of the men escaping in that boat? First Navarro (from earlier shows) gets off and now this one gets away. I wonder if he will reappear in future episodes :wtf::rolleyes: goes to show how criminals get off and get away.:vulcan:

That's all for now, just had to have my say over it being a Frank epi. I give it an A

8. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

Eh...I gave it a "D" in the poll, but I feel like maybe I should up it to a C. I get that "ripped from the headlines" is something many shows do, but if you're going to start with that, at least work a little creativity into it, and try not to make it so predictable.

I liked the Frank-central aspect of the story, Rex did a wonderful job.

Tom as a fan of the singer was cute. I like him.

Good to see badass-yet-compassionate-Calleigh again, I've missed her.

Other than that, the show was pretty unremarkable. But I suppose I should be thankful that it was just boring, and not annoying or just plain God-awful like many episodes have been lately.

It's always the ginger one. ALWAYS. I swear, we're not all evil.

9. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

Gave this ep. an A - really enjoyed it. I was guessing about whether they were guilty, and even at one point suspected that friend who lent them his boat. Especially b/c that friend was on the track team and apparently went into weapon-making. Oh well. :p

I LOVED Frank in this episode, and the fact that it was a flashback. This is the kinda stuff that the show needs. Really enjoyed Frank's scenes - he played it great, and it was refreshing to see him a bit emotional.

Calleigh rocked the house - caring for the rape victim, chasing after the badass (before Horatio shot and killed him :rolleyes: ) and that lovely scene w/Frank. Go Calleigh!

Ryan was kinda background but still effective - was it me or did he and Delko look like they had the same haircut in that one scene? :lol:

Missed Natalia - it would be nice for just a one-sentence explanation for her absence instead of her absence being completely ignored :rolleyes:

Eric - well, liked his one scene w/Ryan. Missed Natalia more, though :p

Oh, and nice to see H and Cal interacting and bouncing ideas off each other. My fav. was when H called her about Victor heading to the hospital, although I wondered why Cal never caught up w/Victor. Maybe she just let H take the kill shot??:confused:

I thought this episode, though having that "ripped from the headlines" feel, was very effective emotionally and the acting was great. And interesting that Horatio told the truth to the dad when he told him he "wouldn't get caught" if his son was murdered and the killer freed. That's our Horatio, for better or worse. :confused:

10. CRM

CRM Prime Suspect

This is a good story, all away from the bigshots, rich, corporate, political, and all the H/Marisol/Memmo/Taunter tired, inconclusive junk lately. I think that the last episodes that I remember didn't involved anything I just mentioned were Stoned Cold and By The Book. I do need more episodes like this.

Even from all the nauseating techno music playing on alot of the CSIs' intros, as well as the pool party after the 3 guys' released, it is great to hear something different as an intro. And a kick-ass song at that since I'm a hard rock/metal fan. And I like that it was set in 1992, where guys wore the flannels and plaids or had surfer/grunge hair like the long-haired dude. It brings back fond memories of being a grunge teen during my high school days. The brutality of the murder and Troy Faber's last pleas were the only things traumatizing on that past scene to me.

I like that it was Frank's episode, even when I thought that it could've been more focused on him. But, I'm glad that he has this time. I need lots of Frank, too.

I have a hard time sympathizing with the girl, who went out of her way to get face time on those three guys as well as on herself. I really can't sympathize with anyone who would play the fanatic of murderers, enough to throw them a release party. As for Calleigh claiming that she didn't like being lied to, am I supposed to believe that the girl didn't bring it on herself to end up a victim as Calleigh said she didn't? I would've straight up told her that she did asked for it by spoiling them like a bunch of prominent, trustworthy Saints Of The Small Town, or something. Can't sympathize, sorry. I like how they would gain press time by talking about their release and NOT even acknowledge nor apologize for the death of a human being, a very young human being. I knew that most of them were guilty throughout their speeches.

I give this a C+, since it is different, and it is focused on Frank for a change.

11. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

Well, I liked it - a lot. Thought it was technically beautiful, dialogue-heavy, character-heavy. Don't care much about plot. My sort of episode. Thought Rex was brilliant, and I don't begrudge him an episode! In fact, he and David ran that episode between them, which proves something... H had some of his better lines this season (including 'I wouldn't have got caught'). A few negatives - obviously - even H could not have taken that shot without injuring the hostage, and that was careless of the director, since the hostage only had to lunge away for a moment. Not enough Eric. Oh, I didn't miss Natalia, but that's just me. Overall, I gave it a B+. I'll save my As for the true H-centred ones.

12. city hunter

city hunter Rookie

Sad episode but I liked it. Frank was great! I'm glad he finally got a storyline. Loved the ending scene with Frank at the tree with the Kid's picture and I loved H being there for him.

13. greatfan

greatfan Captain

There are those that believe in the innocence of some behind bars and they work on their behalf for their release just as portrayed in this episode.
    Because the girl threw a party afterwards and spent time with them(thinking they were innocent) doesn't mean she asked to be raped or bought it upon herself,no one ever ask to be raped no matter how misguided they may be.
    As far as not acknowledging or apologizing about the death of a human being,look at their actions and behavior,that's not surprising.

14. Bellemaria

Bellemaria Prime Suspect

I give this eppi A+ ​

As for me it's great episode — intriguing start (I love flashbacks and Frank with moustache :) Maybe the plot isn`t unique but I`m ok with it. CSI have 12 seasons, Miami — 10 and NY - 8 and more then 20 episodes in each season! Personally I think — it`s absolutely impossible not to repeat somehow.

One of this murder trio is innocent — nice twist (not all of them quilty or innocent). I felt sorry for Darren — he's served almost 19 years but he wasn't quilty. And probably will spend the rest of his life in prison for killing the person who really deserve that

Now Frankie is a vigilante, great :thumbsup:As mentioned before it's Frankcentred episode and Rex did an awesome job. Last tim we saw his softer side was, if I'm right, in season 2 in episode Bite about girl who «is hired to hit on married men by their wives to see if their husbands are cheating on them.
    In spite of being Frankcentred I think Horatio has quite decent screentime also. And he was great in every seconde. :drool:​

One of the best scene ever. Victor made his choice and it serves him right. No one will cry for him.
    Yeah, it's risky, so only Horatio can do it.

No doubt you wouldn't:cool:
    Law and justice aren't always the same thing

Me too, actually, in spite of I like Natalia very much. We've discussed that in another thread — now there're too many CSIs.

I'd have been shocked either. Such trifles, like explaing characters absence, don't bother our writers and never did:(

However, I agree — they have been doing better — cuz, for now, personally me, like season 10 more then 9 and whole lot more then season 8

It puzzled me too. Did the hospital run out of female doctors or nurses? This scene was hard to watch.

But the girl should've been more careful. What was she thinking about parting with 3 ex-cons who spend 19 years without any woman near! I'm surprised that she is he only victim I thought it would be more. ​

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  15. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

I have to say Darren is similiar to the perps that have been featured on CSI NY the past couple of weeks.
    Darren will and should be doing some prison time for the murder he did commit but in a high profile case where the jury will put themselves more in the defendent's shoes than the victim's, a plea agreement is almost always offered.
    And someone who killed a person who not only killed a child in cold blood but let an man rot in prison with the full knowledge that he was innocent for 19 years. Good luck with that.