Elisabeth Shue Replaces Marg Helgenberger

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by vegaslights, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Frosch

Frosch Witness

Elizabeth Shue, nice choice:thumbsup: I guess it perfectly illustrates what a 'name actress' is. Someone who hasn't been on our screens too frequently over the last 20 years but who everybody instantly recognizes. I never would have thought of her but I think she will be a great fit. Judging from comments on another forum it sounds like she could be bringing a number of new fans to the show as well as former CSI fans who had quite the show. She seems to be one of those actresses who people think of fondly.

Going against the grain I think it's actually a good idea to bring her in during this season and not to wait until next September. Sure, this season has already seen the addition of two new members and which by all accounts has been a resounding success. I say get all the changes out of the way in one fell swoop so that by the time next season comes around the main cast will be well established and most viewers will have come to terms with the changes. Otherwise speculation of not knowing who is joining the cast will just drag on for months and months and months.

2. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Never heard of her myself. I'm curious how it'll go.

3. CazzBlade

CazzBlade Lab Technician

I haven't heard of her either. Although, I've seen all the Back to the Futures so I must have seen her on there. From all the comments, though, she sounds like a good choice! :)

4. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

She played Jennifer, Marty's girlfriend in the Back to the Future movies. I loved those movies.

5. CRM

CRM Prime Suspect

I'm surprised that no one ever mentioned The Karate Kid (the original) when remembering Elisabeth Shue, which is what I've remember mostly about her, aside from Adventures In Babysitting, Gracie and Cocktail. I've only watched a few scenes from the Back To The Future films and I couldn't, for the life of me, recall ever seeing Shue there.

I'm not quite sure about this addition, I do think that it is a bit premature right after Marg's departure. Elisabeth seems alright to me. When I read that she used to worked for D.B. in Seattle, I thought, "Oh great, another transplant." As for the whole anger management idea, hopefully she isn't another Frankie Reed. I've never liked Reed. But someone with subtle anger issues and not some hothead or gun crazy hellcat. Personally, I wouldn't mind someone coming back to Vegas if that someone used to live his/her life in Vegas before some kind of transfer or for college for many years. Kind of like Jesse who's come back to Miami. If I was to stay in one city forever, I'd probably kill myself. But, I am open to this new addition, yet coiling up due to viewers' reactions to new blood and a new replacement for a very well-established protagonist to a long-running show. It's too soon for a new replacement, but I do hope it works out as the season continues.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  6. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

True but only parts 2 & 3, another actress played Jennifer in the first movie.

She was in Hollow Man with Kevin Bacon and she was also in Leaving Las Vegas.

7. ThirdMrsGrissom

ThirdMrsGrissom Victim

I think I was always going to be biased against any new actress CBS brought in to fill Catherine's spot, because I've been holding out for Wendy to return ever since Cath's departure was announced. Three changes in main cast within a single season seems like a lot to me anyway; the show already feels completely different from season 11 and that's with only two changes.

All that being said, though, I don't want to be against her from the start just because she's not Catherine or Wendy. As an actress, I don't know a lot about her, so I guess it'll be interesting to find out more.

8. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

She was also Daniel's girlfriend in the first Karate Kid movie. :)

9. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

She was also nominated for an Oscar and Golden Globe for Best Actress for the move "Leaving Las Vegas".

So for those that are concerned, she has the acting chops.

10. Dark CSI

Dark CSI Hit and Run

That's a fair point Crumbs, each new character does change the show's identity and if this was last year, I'd be whinging big time about the new replacement. However, considering how fantastic DB is and how well he's fitted in, I'm gonna wait and see how Shue does. I too would like to see the team deal with Catherine's departure without having a new team member show up so soon but it does make sense that they replace Catherine so fast. Catherine is phenomonal CSI who will be every bit as much a loss to the team as Grissom was and Grissom had picked out his replacement before he left! I think Catherine leaving is going to leave a massive hole on the team (never thought I'd admit that!) not just in terms of how much they'll miss her but with regards the workload as well. Makes sense to me that the department would have to replace Catherine pretty quickly, if only for how much work will be created for the CSI's in her absense.

But I really hope they don't make Shue the assistant supervisor; I don't know if Nick was demoted along with Catherine but I feel that role should go to him. Just so long as the show keeps doing what its doing by keeping it fun, quirky and an ensemble (don't rush to shove Shue in our faces, please! Learn from the whole Langston fiasco), I'm okay with whatever comes next.

11. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Any word on what her character's name will be?

12. Lilith

Lilith Police Officer

I definitely second that. Though, I think either way, it's going to feel too weird seeing only Nick and Greg on CSI as the two remaining long time characters (except for the episodes that Sara will be in and assuming that Jorja Fox will have the same schedule or return full time next season).

13. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I like Elisabeth Shue. My main problem is that Catherine won't be there which is something I can't do anything about lol. So as far as replacing the irreplaceable Elisabeth is a good choice.

I, on the other hand, hope she is second in command. After what happened with Ray I just think the leads should be the supervisors and it'll all make more sense. There are shows like Bones in which the lead is not the boss and the writers make it work wonderfully. CSI's writers are the opposite of that, and I've lost all faith that they can actually do a good job if given a second chance. Yes, the Ray fiasco left me scarred lol.

I agree with GNRF when she wrote that it's weird that someone would agree to work for someone who fired them. I don't think I would ever do that. I hope there are special circumstances or an explanation that makes sense when the character is presented.

14. byline

byline CSI Level One

Actually, she was only in the second and third films. A different actress played Jennifer in the first one, but for some reason she didn't want to return, and so was replaced with Elisabeth Shue. I've never seen "Leaving Las Vegas" (with Nicholas Cage), but I remember reading lots of praise for her performance in that film. So it will be interesting to see how this goes.

(Edit: Oops, sorry Wojo, I should've read all the way through the thread before replying!)

15. SwedishNickyFan

SwedishNickyFan Victim

I am going back and forth on this, (Cath will be hard to replace, same as Grissom) but I've come to the conclussion I agree on all of the above.

Lets hope the writers can make this work. *crosses fingers*