What Books Are You Reading?-#3

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Jun 5, 2009.

1. PrincessJ88

PrincessJ88 Coroner

I'm currently reading City of Bones by Cassandra Clare, the first book in The Mortal Instruments series

2. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

I haven't posted in here in awhile. Anyway, I've been reading The Awakening by Kate Chopin. It's for my class, but I'm actually getting really into it. Even though the book was written 100+ years ago, I'm really loving the message of a woman discovering her identity and breaking away from her husband/society restraints. Haven't finished the book yet (no one spoil me on the ending) but I'll try to remember to post again with my thoughts after finishing the book.

3. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

"Brimstone" by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. One of a series about Special Agent Pendergast and Sgt. Vincent D'Agosta. Like most of them it takes place in New York City and they're looking into the murders(?) of a Mr. Grove and a Mr. Cutforth.

Back somewhere around season 3 or 4 there was a CSI episode where Warrick and Sara were looking into the possible murder of an old lady that looked like Spontaneous Human Combustion. Well, in this book that's what we're looking into. That these two gentlemen spontaneously combusted. The interesting part is that they refer to the case of Mary Reeser who is (as of the publishing of this book in 2004) an open FBI case because if she didn't spontaneously combust they don't really know how she burned to death. :wtf:

Susan

4. PrincessJ88

PrincessJ88 Coroner

The first Nikki Heat book is what I'm reading now...can never remember the name of it though...Heat Wave maybe?

5. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

I love how everyone is reading cool mystery novels while I'm talking about classics...

Just finished reading "The Awakening" a couple of days ago. What an exasperatingly frustrating ending that was. To all of the women out there (including myself...'cause I'm a woman), suicide is not the answer no matter how much "self-enlightment" you've gained in your life or how socially constrained you feel. It's been awhile since I've read a story that made me want to punch the main character in the face.

6. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

I just finished reading on my Amazon Kindle a Star Trek novel called "Dreadnought" written by Diane Carey. It was interesting and different. It was an interesting story and it was different because it was told from an up and coming Star Fleet lieutenant's perspective. Her name is Lt. Piper. Although, by the end of the book she has been promoted to Lt. Commander. This is the first of 2 Star Trek novels to feature Piper. The 2nd Star Trek novel to feature Piper is called "Battlestations" also written by Diane Carey. I'm gonna start it tonight or tomorrow. Hope it's as good as this one. Sometime sequels flop.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  7. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I'm currently reading Amazing Gracie: A Dog's Tale. It's by Dan Dye and Mark Beckloff. It's a story about Gracie, a deaf, partly blind, albino Great Dane that Dan Dye adopted at 8 weeks of age. Gracie was adopted the day before she was to be put down. I'm about 1/4 of the way through and I'm enjoying the book. A good book to read for any animal lover :)

8. Raveyn Zayra

Raveyn Zayra Witness

I started rereading the first book in the Inheritance Cycle, Eragon, on Sunday...mainly because the last book is being released next month...and also because I never finished reading the third book.

The series itself is extremely similar to Lord of the Rings and Star Wars, but I really don't care. It has dragons, and I love dragons. That's good enough for me. *shrug*

9. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

Is that series good, Raveyn Zayra? Don't laugh, but I saw the movie and I was kind of turned off by the whole book series as a result.:(
    ---
    Hmm...never finished Madame Bovary (darn you education) but I'm starting to read, ironically, Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller. I say ironically because, long story short, I started writing again several years ago because of Erica Jong (she wrote a fabi book called, Fear of Flying) who was influenced by Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer. I'm coming full circle, I guess.:)

10. Raveyn Zayra

Raveyn Zayra Witness

In my opinion, it is. Granted, it does draw alot of inspiration from Lord of the Rings (and it's pretty obvious, too), but it doesn't bother me.

Alot of other fans of the Inheritance series don't like the movie, either. The producers left a plethora of things out of it, changed alot of the characters, and left some characters out altogether! It really doesn't do the book justice, in my opinion.

...Yeah, I know, this isn't a good book review, but I'm terrible at these kinds of things...I usually just say, "go and see/read/hear it for yourself!" *shrug*

11. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

The next book on my list to read is the first in the Monster Hunter series. I don't know who writes it. I know there's a second book, not sure if there's more than that though. They're like 700 pages long each, so it might take me a while.

12. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

Update: The sequel flopped. I'll let you know when I find and finish another good book.

13. gsrfan82

gsrfan82 Witness

I just finished reading one of three classic books I borrowed from library, which I never got around to read the teenage books stuff that I do enjoy read back then. Its called The Foxman by Gary Paulsen, I love some of his works, first book I got hooked after reading the book I believe it was called Hatchet I read that back in high school.

as of right now Im trying to finish read the last two books but not enough time because the deadline is next week monday to return the books, I could do is renew the books to stay longer with me to have more time to finish rest of it. Therefore the book is called White Fang by Jack London and other one is The Call of the wild and white fang. It sounded interesting to me to read it.

14. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

I read Hexed, by Kevin Hearne, a few weeks ago. The library just got the next two in the series in recently, so they're next on my list. They're called The Iron Druid Chronicles, and are about a 2000-year old druid living in modern-day Tempe, AZ. I like the humour, and the way he mixes up old legends with modern times.

15. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

Well, that sequel Star Trek novel may have flopped but the book I'm currently reading has got me totally sucked in. I'm on chapter 11 of 16. I'll tell you more when I get to chapter 16 or when I finish the book at the end of chapter 16. So, now as sometimes seen on tv:
    TO BE CONTINUED...