'Bittersweet' Discussion **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by DJRideout, Oct 2, 2011.

1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

who is Karla Homokla?

2. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

I Googled her. Yeah, it appears this case was based on her. According to Wiki, she's a Canadian serial killer who did indeed kidnap girls (including her younger sister :wtf:) with her boyfriend, raped them, and then killed them. One of the victims was even cut up and placed in cement blocks.

Why are the real life cases always the creepiest? Reality is stranger than fiction...

3. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

I know other episodes/cases have been based on RL cases too, but it's especially creepy when it's one I actually heard about when it happened.

I'm really liking this season so far.

4. GregNickRyanFan

Did they actually show the scene of Nick with the pressure washer like we saw in pics? I don't remember that scene LOL. And I know I didn't leave the room during the episode lol.

5. Spacemermaid

Spacemermaid Civilian

I am saddened that there is no diversity in the primary cast. Here we are in the 21st century, and people of color have only an ephemeral grasp of a spotlight. What would the current majority think if CSI had cast only Asians, Latinos and Blacks with only Caucasians in the peripheral roles? The new girl could have easily been a person of color. Greg has been an equal opportunity flirt in the past.

I enjoy Ted Danson in the lead role. I'd love a manager such as he. I just wish there was more representation of other people in the more primary cast.

6. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Yes, they showed it. :)

7. KaiLUxO

KaiLUxO Police Officer

Ok I need someone to clarify. I feel really stupid bc I think I missed it...I was re-watching with my dad and when Colleen was caught as the perpetrator not victim he said so Gina didn't commit the crime in the beginning. Or did she? It was Colleen right ? I don't remember them confirming :/

8. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

They confirmed it with the presence of soap suds on the body parts. When Gina and the other dude were killing they made sure the soap suds were washed off the bodies. Colleen and microwave guy didn't know to do that.

9. KaiLUxO

KaiLUxO Police Officer

Thank you :) I thought it was her but then I hesitated so I seconded guessed myself.

10. GregNickRyanFan

I must have been interrupted by the phone ringing or something LOL.

11. KaiLUxO

KaiLUxO Police Officer

Almost forgot! There was one part that made me laugh but i couldn't remember it. When Morgan said the birthmark was shaped like Rhode Island and then Greg said it was now the size of Texas, I literally died laughing.

12. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

I thought it was funny too (the first moment I heard it) ... but later I thought it was kind of mean. A lot of people have overweight and were pretty and 'Hollywood-sized' in earlier years. I don't think it's nice to make fun about people like this, especially when they're dead.

13. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

But he was talking to the suspect (not a loved one of the victim or someone like that)and I think he was saying it to say the guy still has it but it just does look the same anymore. I find that they all seem to talk more crude when speaking to suspects. Look at Brass and Catherine last week with the guy.

I actually found Morgan's remark about how depressing it was that he lost his looks and stuff because he gained all that weight, rude to a point.

14. CRM

CRM Prime Suspect

The episode isn't so bad. Personally, I've wanted for some time for a CSI (from any city) to get a bit distracted by surroundings that happened to be edible while processing a crime scene. This episode with Morgan wanting to dive right into the choco-tub kinda read my mind. When she closely examined the chocolate-filled stomach contents of the dead guy, I thought for sure that there would be some kind of nod to Grissom "tasting it on purpose" when she put it close to her face. As for Nick seeing her eat the chocolate, I find myself almost laughing since this is the same guy who ate a fly-infested diner meal, on purpose, on one of the previous episodes when Ray was still a CSI.

I would pretty much roll my eyes when Greg would say something unlikeable when talking about a dead person, since he was the same guy who said about a cliff accident victim, "She was hot!" on an old episode. I still cringe at the thought of that moment. I thought that it was uncalled for. And as much as I hate to say this, but I didn't even feel too much sympathy when he was beaten up in Fannysmackin', sorry. The real cruel world for a former 'crime lab' worker, I guess. That's why I was agreeing with the lady who called out to Nick on how the CSIs would gossip or make fun of a dead body on that episode where Nick was investigating the dead guy who was abusing his own sister and sexually assaulted her boyfriend. I've wanted for someone to finally shed the light on how the CSIs deal with a dead body with inappropriate comments.

I'm not sure if Sara asking if she is off the case that she previously worked on had made it in the episode, nor if the flashbacks were part of any old episode. But, it was nice to have consistency on Sara's part as being emotionally involved with a case where a female is victimized, and this time by a female. I like her public calling out to the female suspect in front of the pool full of people with children. I sympathize with the female suspect's tormentor, yet a little shocked that a former victim turns out to be the tormentor. Reminds me of a Criminal Minds episode where a guy who was kidnapped as a boy grew up to be a serial killer, Haunted, I guess.

And I'm liking Ted Danson's DB. He somehow has some kind of mystery to him, which is interesting. A country-like family man who still is boss while on the job. I would've like to at least see the Doc interacting with his niece. And I agree when she did looked too young next to Nick. It's good to know that Nick is likable and trustworthy enough to agree to show Doc's niece around. As for the artsy crime scene, it's not as shocking to me as the lifelike dead bodies in Art Imitates Life.

I'd rate this episode above average.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  15. Lilith

Lilith Police Officer

I guess I kinda overlooked it until you brought it up, (Morgan's comment about the guy) but it does seem rude in a way. I still thought her chocolate fetish during the case was priceless though :lol:. I really hope she and Greg get to work together more, and I'm still waiting for her to work one-on-one with the other team members as well, especially Catherine, they haven't interacted since the first episode.

Too add more about the episode and the A case, I really felt bad for Colleen, at the end, her trauma as a past victim really destroyed her mentally and then she turns into an accomplice :(; I don't know I just always find it sad when people become killers because their lives just got destroyed by horrible events . I'm sure it was really hard for Sara, she was so determined to get rid of the woman who caused all of this, and then this happens :(. So this was based on a real life female serial killer? Interesting, though really creepy at the same time