Episode 10x2 - 'Stiff' - ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by FieldMouse, Oct 1, 2011.

1. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

Much, much better than last week's episode. There were some holes here and there, but overall it wasn't too bad.

I liked the team interaction/dynamic- it was a fun episode filled with some funny moments between them. Screen time was fairly balanced. I'm not a big Natalia fan, but I found I actually enjoyed her scenes with Ryan. Disappointed her prospective date turned out to be a baddie, because it seems like everyone in the crime lab is forever alone. They could all use some action for once.

I liked that there was slightly less Horatio- he's the star of the show, he's been front-and-center for 10 years, I think it's great that he can be a little more in the background once in a while.

I was also pleased that even though there was a dangerous situation with the explosion, it didn't turn into a dramatic crisis- both Calleigh and Eric were relatively unharmed, and the incident didn't cut too much into the investigation- it tied in with it, and wasn't just for the sake of putting some action in. Also enjoyed how both Calleigh and Horatio were helping Eric out of the fire.

And most importantly, there was science! I was so, SO happy to see them in the lab trying to figure out what made the hat float, or what the scorched piece of paper was. This element has been missing for too long. I hope future episodes continue this pattern.

On the downside, the plot wasn't written too well. The guest characters were fairly two-dimensional (this is not an insult to their acting- they were all good and fine at that- it's that the writers didn't go into enough depth). I'm still kind of confused about why the daughter killed the gigolo. If she was in love with him, wouldn't it make more sense to get rid of the female clients so they weren't in the way? Of course, that probably wouldn't do much, since he could just get other clients, but at least it would make some sense. I also think it would've been more realistic if she hadn't thought of the plan to kill him right away- she may be smart, but anger can cloud judgement and critical thinking, so it would've made more sense if she went back later to put a hole in the pipeline instead of doing it 30 seconds after talking to him.

2. city hunter

city hunter Rookie

I wasn't impressed with this episode, the case was pretty boring and predicable, but the funny scenes with Ryan and Natalia, and Ryan and Walter is what made this episode decent. Can't wait for the next week episode, I think it will be much better than this one.

3. Bellemaria

Bellemaria Prime Suspect

Miamirocks
    Well, I don't think it would be great idea H banters someone. It's so natural for Walter (yeah, he's seven:guffaw: ), Eric, Ryan but I can't imagine H doing something like that. I think it's inappropriate, cuz, don't forget, he's a boss. Actually, I can't recoll if he ever banters.
    I don't agree he never smiles, he did it a lot and still do and I love it:adore:

Carolyn_333
    yes, I hoped so for just a second but it would be too great to happen. It was clear he somehow involved.
    And Natalia's look while she was chasing her "date" - "I'll kill you when I get you", great! :))

spencerreidfan
    So did I. But reading the spoilers I thought it wouldn't be an "H-episode":( and phrases: "sexy world", "unusual wurder weapon" scared me a bit, I thought it could be something you don't want your mother to know you have it:lol: Nevertheless, I really enjoyed this episode. It was coherent and forensic.

I'm really, really impressed by Jordi Molla (our hotel-owner Hector Romero) the scene when they took his daughter after she'd confessed I saw grief, frustration, shock on his face. Great work!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  4. greatfan

greatfan Captain

She may have been thinking that if she couldn't have him all to herself,no-one was going to have him.People have actually thought this way when they are thinking irrationally about the one they supposedly love,like the murderer-suicide type person.

5. Linda&Horatio

Linda&Horatio Witness

I love reading all your responses to the epis. I laugh and agree with all you say here. :guffaw:You guys rock! :thumbsup:

The episode was ok, but the car alarm on the Hummer made me want to click the mute button on my remote. :wtf: Hate the noise they make. I was glad Natalia made a "friend" who fixed it but he turned out to be a bad guy. I did enjoy the way she said she will kill him when she gets him. Go Natalia!

You know when I watched Wolf looking at the floating hat, I thought it was me who saw it floating til he mentioned it. Whew! He saw it too and then it was stopped. ;) Wolf and Natalia do look good in green but did everyone in the show need to wear the same colour? Who does the wardrobe dept!?!

I was glad Calleigh mentioned her dad too. Wish Duke would come back and see her. I guess we do get a bit of continuity at times. Even if it is a few years apart. Oh well. :rolleyes:

I love the way Walter scared Wolf with that floating test tube. Too funny. :guffaw: Poor Wolfie!!!!!! But overall a fairly good epi. I wish Horatio was shown more. Last week he was barely standing and this week he was almost a guest shot. One say H will have a cameo appearance.

Thanks guys you are the best fans to hang out with and share opinions of the show. Have a great week and see you again soon.

6. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I agree 100% on these two points. Eric and Cal have been through enough so I was glad this was just a dangerous situation they were exposed to but not more than that. They did look like they had been through some nasty but it wasn't too much, I liked it. I also liked that Horatio saved them. I usually cringe at H saving someone, but it's usually damsels in distress scenarios. This made sense and I'm always a sucker for Horatio, Eric, Calleigh scenes. I really wish there were more of them. They are the original members of the team and my faves (along with Frank) so them together is always good points in an episode for me.

And yes there was science!!!! I can't emphasize that enough. I really want a season full of science and the action to take second place.

7. Hardline Pro

Hardline Pro Lab Technician

I know, right? Horatio was barely in it. He had the quick scene at the beginning, he rescued Eric and Cal, then it showed him in lab, and with the hotel manager (or whatever he was) and his daughter. H's screen time was limited!

Also, is Renee going to be a continuing character? She wasn't in this ep...

8. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

As far as I know, the season premiere is the only episode she's in this season. The actress is a regular on a new show. I think its Secret Circle or something like that, but not sure.

9. DCHC4ever

DCHC4ever Prime Suspect

They were talking about her possibly being in other episodes (that was before the start of the season) because her show was on CW which is in the CBS family. The problem though is that Secret Circle is filmed in Canada, no California. Makes borrowing her for a few hours for a quick scene or two much more difficult.

Actually, I was just thinking about the episode and how so many of the characters worked with so many other characters and realized that while Horatio may not of had as much screen time as I would have liked, he did work with everyone on the team, including Frank, for at least one scene. I think this is a first for that in quite awhile, and I like it.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  10. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

That's true, I didn't think about it that way.

11. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

Have to say, Renee - if you want to romance our tragic hero, popping in from Canada now and again ain't gonna do it! ;)

12. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

An average but watchable episode.

Random Thoughts:

I loved the whole Ryan and the floating hat. I really enjoyed how Walter believed him and that finding out how it happened was a key moment in the case. At the end, I was laughing at Walter laughing and Ryan who kept insisting that it "wasn't funny". These two have such a good friendship!!

You are all right: green seems to be the color of the day.

The Hummer's alarm was driving me crazy but it was an interesting way of introducing him to Natalia. I figured he was going to be involved somehow.

Loved Natalia and Ryan's banter as well. I loved the occasional lighthearted moments between the CSIs.

Hmmm Calleigh in another fire. Very original:rolleyes:. Glad it wasn't any worse. And it is very good to see her back.

I thought the plot was a bit predictable but having the frost bite on the toes point out the murderer was a interesting touch.

Good lab work

Good use of all the CSIs.

I am excited about next week--Ryan being sucked out a window:eek::eek:

13. yen35

yen35 Witness

I really liked the episode.
    Certainly better than the premier.
    The Science was great. I loved the part about the floating hat and Ryan's reaction to it and then how it was all explained.
    Liked the fact that there were 2 different 'murderers' so as to say.
    The team interactions were nice.
    The only part I didn't understand was - why did that woman's husband take the broken, bloody remnants of the murder weapon back to his house? I mean, he could have just thrown it in a bin or something on the way from the hotel to his residence. It didn't make sense that he brought it back, unless it had sentimental value because he originally thought the wife brought it for him from Paris?

14. fanilowchick

fanilowchick Police Officer

Good episode, as always. It seemed boring after the premiere, though. LOL.

I'm glad to see that interaction with Ryan and Walter. I think Ryan has become Walter's new buddy after Jesse. He's such a fun character and I'm glad they're giving him more screentime.

I too was disappointed with the lack of Horatio in scenes. I'll keep hoping that the writers don't slide back into that old habit. He is the star of the show and needs to be shown as such.

15. CSIMandy

CSIMandy Lab Technician

I liked this episode better than the first.

Poor Ryan got teased about the floating hat but glad Walter proved this wasn't just in Ryan's mind

Poor Natalia, she meets a cute guy who asks her out only to be a bad guy

Calleigh in another fire but this time she is ok. Glad she wasn't hurt and was actually the first to get up and get help.