Episode 10x01 - 'Countermeasures' ***CONTAINS SPOIILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Sep 23, 2011.

1. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

Sums up my thoughts

I really wanted to like this one but kept feeling underwhelmed.

The writer's had huge opportunity to show Horatio at his weakest but instead he hulked up and was actively helping the team. I let it go in the intro as I attributed it to willpower but the rest of the episode I kind of went sour.

-NO ONE questioned Horatio being with them in his condition? Regardless of what they might feel about him personally (as some have mentioned) what about professionally. Not even Ryan, Nat? Frank?

-What's with all the roughhousing by the police?
    -I liked the dream sequences with Marisol though
    -Nat saving Horatio was good.

Definitely one of the weaker season starters
    Rating 2.5/5

2. elliecatt

elliecatt Dead on Arrival

I'm with you. I really wanted to love it. we waited nearly 5 months for the payoff of finally seeing H be injured and maybe get some genuine vulnerability and struggle on his part, not to mention the badly needed repair of the rifts in the team. there is no cohesion with them anymore. anyone watch any season 1-3 epis lately?? I miss THAT Horatio and THAT team dynamic. for all that has gone off the rails with the character of H and the unity of the team I blame the writers. they had prime opportunity to give the freakin FANS what they want but they did what THEY wanted instead. the gradual change of Horatio from an engaged, animated leader who showed a genuine interest in his people and allowed his emotions to show to emotionless, monotonic and aloof is not DC's fault. he can only play what the writers give him to play. they changed his character for the worse...they can by god fix him now. we all deserved better than what we got, IMO. I at least needed that premier to be so much better. I mean, HOW COULD ERIC JUST LEAVE HIM THERE to lay down on the floor like a dog?? the writers finally screwed up Eric and H now, too, apparently. oh well. if I kept at it I would go on forever, I just wish that for once the writers would shove their egos and give the fans what they want, or at least compromise and not write such ridiculous, far fetched crap like how someone who took at bullet frag in the gut and likely sucked half the bay into his lungs is up running around Miami less than an hour later. idiots.

and for ANYONE who REALLY thinks DC can't act I say first, get real. check out the first season of NYPD Blue. check out the movie 'Mad Dog and Glory, too...god he was freakin adorable in that one. those are some starters for you. our guy can act, and he's got range...like anyone on this site really doubts that!:thumbsup:

3. ladyjr8

ladyjr8 Police Officer

on re-watching this episode-I think maybe the reason Eric grabbed Toller and made SURE he was captured and didn't escape again was that he saw Horatio's sacrifice in not giving up or lying down in his hospital bed ..he knew if he they let this guy go again Horatio will still keep going after him. So to get H some rest from the case they have to make sure Toller doesn't walk away..That's why H was standing in front of HQ as the officers took Toller off to prison again...it's that personal responsibility thing that H has. If that bad guy hurt another girl than H can't live with that so he pushes himself to near death. Yeah still wish they'd done a bedside scene with the team checking in on H as he recovers but something tells me he'd probably only have stayed in a hospital bed the bare minimum 24 hrs the ER doctor ordered from him but after walking around another 24 hrs chasing criminals H needs a week now to get over secondary infection and exhaustion....

4. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

Yes, I've watched and rewatched, and I agree totally. Think Eric rushed Toller away and probably threw him at the nearest officer he could find, then rushed back to his downed brother-in-law. Wonder if they filmed that scene... even if it got cut. SHOULD have! People who say Eric didn't care weren't watching closely enough...

5. Bellemaria

Bellemaria Prime Suspect

In spite of the fact that I love this show very much, I've never thought CSI Miami as a "realistic" show. Since 4 season all remains of realism was tossed aside. I think realism wasn't the idea for this particular show. Las Vegas is more or less realistic.

6. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Whenever I get annoyed with the lack of realism on this show, I just try to remind myself that tptb themselves have said that Miami is basically the comic book version of CSI. That to me means that it isn't supposed to be that realistic. :shrug:

7. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I think that what bugs me even more than the lack of realism on the show is the lack of forensics. Most of the time I feel I'm watching a cop show a la Law and Order than a forensics show. Just a bunch of detectives going around chasing suspects and interviewing them. Suddenly the writers remember it's CSI and go "oh and we found a print", meh. That bugs me and especially irritated me in this episode. I don't mind that there's action but I want to it less than the science. Vegas still IMO is very evidence, forensics, science oriented. NY maybe a little less but still way more than Miami. I mean it's a shocker every time we see Horatio with a lab coat. I would like to see more body in the morgue examinations, more evidence collection and examining and less chasing and interrogating.

8. fanilowchick

fanilowchick Police Officer

Yes, Miami is by far the least realistic of the CSI franchise, but we have to remember that they are all fictional shows, made for our entertainment not education. I notice plot holes and lack of credible science-police procedure but it doesn't bother me in the least. Honestly, I watch it for the characters (90% for Horatio, 10% for the rest of the team) :)

9. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

Then they should stop referring to it as a "police procedural," and start calling it a "drama," because there is very little policing in this show, and no procedure.

10. Bellemaria

Bellemaria Prime Suspect

I'm not shocked I'm loving it :drool:

fanilowchick, It's just I wanted to say:thumbsup:

11. Hardline Pro

Hardline Pro Lab Technician

When I look at my DVR CSI: Miami is listed as a drama.

12. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

ALL law enforcement related shows are listed as dramas unless they are spoofs like Reno 911 or something. Sometimes they add "action/adventure" and/or "mystery/crime" to the genre tags and sometimes "suspense" as well... but "drama" is always one of the ones on the list.

13. Hardline Pro

Hardline Pro Lab Technician

On CSI: Miami's YouTube page it's listed as Action/Adventure. I don't think I've ever heard it called a police procedural by an official source. IDNK...

14. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

It's been a procedural show since day one. :confused: The thing is they haven't put too much focus on the forensic element since... season five, really.

15. miamifan08

miamifan08 Police Officer

I think the main issue with this episode and the episodes that proceed it for some people here is that people want CSI: Miami to fit in the small bubble of what they believe it should be. Whether that be more forensics, more/less love, less/more Super-H etc.

Well the thing is....you're not going to get what you want.

The show was created the way it was to attract a certain demographic. I highly doubt TPTB are racking their brains trying to figure out how to please the 2% of people who think the show just plain sucks because

A. They didn't make it "real" enough for them.

B. "too much" romance.

C. There's too much action not enough science.

This is a t.v. show! It's not meant to fit into your little bubble of the real world, it's meant to entertain you, make you laugh, cry, think about important issues, to be a stress reliever when you day was crappy.

That's what CSI Miami is to me, and remains to be for me to this day. I can have the crummiest week ever but come Friday, I'm thinking "This week was hard, but CSI: Miami is coming on Sunday!"

Now, I know everyone has their right to an opinion here, and that's what I love about this place, but if you're going to spend your time being overly critical about a fictional show you claim you like but can't seem to get over a few things then don't ruin the experience for everyone else by continuing to complain about it.

Just stop watching.

If it bugs you that much, just stop watching. There are people here who love this show and it is disheartening when we see "fans" of the show belittle it, and state that it's on its last season, I hated this season or this episode because blah blah blah. It's just saddening!

Now I personally loved this episode and I'm looking forward to what Season 10 will bring to me. I'm just along for the ride. Can't we all just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride for as long as CBS decides to give it to us? :)

I'm sorry if I offended anyone by writing this, I just felt the need to state my opinion. I think this is a great group of people and I just want to share my love of this show with other likeminded people.

Now....on to the episode.

What a start! I loved it! We saw a very very very human Horatio. I can't believe he was walking around heaving and panting and going on when there's a hole in his body! But that's Horatio Caine and I wouldn't have it any other way!

I loved the Natalia/Ryan scene. Props to TPTB for bringing in some of Ryan's past with the nail gun. It was such a sweet scene and Togo and LaRue nailed it so well!

Little less Walter than I liked, I love it more when he and Ryan are together.

Calliegh/child scenes! Loved it! You can tell she was really thinking about taking them at the end. The job really does take that much out of you that you can't focus on your life outside of it. I could really sense Emily's experience as a mother come out in these scenes and they were so nice to see.

I know I'm in the minority, but I love Horatio/Marisol! their scene together in the beginning summed up to me just how much her death affected Horatio, he was never the same after she died. The way he broke down in the hummer and kissed her picture is a testament to David Caruso's great acting!

Overall, I thought it was a very strong premiere and it will only get better from here! And even if it doesn't that's fine, cause anytime I can see my favorite CSI Ryan Wolfe is a good time. :).