Why was Catherine demoted anyway?

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Biomeka, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Biomeka

Biomeka Hit and Run

Maybe a dumb question but I not sure why.

2. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

They did not say specifically, but it had to do with the Ray/Haskell fiasco, which the whole team had some part in but as the supervisor Catherine would take the fall. Also, from last night's show it seems that Ecklie feels like the whole team strays too much from going by the book and that's why he brought in a new supervisor to get them in line.

Hope that helps! :)

3. Biomeka

Biomeka Hit and Run

How is it her fault? He (Ray) was breaking orders when he went and killed Haskell and besides doesn't he have free will?

4. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

The point is that Catherine was his supervisor and the buck stopped with her. If she can't control her team then she can't be in charge.

It's similar to what happened in the very first few episodes of the show. Brass was in charge of the crime lab when Holly Gribbs was murdered on his watch. No, it wasn't his fault, it was Warrick's for leaving her alone at an unsecured crime scene, but Brass was responsible for the people in his charge, and while there may have been a bit of scapegoating involved - both with him and Catherine - that's the downside of being the boss.

5. SpasmThatCat

SpasmThatCat Police Officer

I was a bit puzzled about that as well. Ray and Brass both seem to have got off scott-free and yet Catherine is demoted? Why does she still have an office? And does that mean that Nick is demoted too?

6. Biomeka

Biomeka Hit and Run

Well Langston is the only other person who knows about how Brass helped cover it up (if I remember right) and obviously he's not about to tell

7. SpasmThatCat

SpasmThatCat Police Officer

True, and maybe Ray was fired? But he's obviously enjoying life now, it just all seems a bit harsh on Catherine!

8. heyheykaytayy

heyheykaytayy Victim

The way it seemed to me in the episode was that Ray either 1) got fired and left or 2) left before he could get fired. They might have been easy on him and just told him to leave or he would be forced to leave. I was surprised that the discussion around him was not spiteful for the most part during the episode, particularly when they talk about his move to Baltimore.

9. thetalkativeone

thetalkativeone Victim

Hi guys, I think I might have missed it when i caught up on the new episodes (I'm in the UK), with the demotion of Catherine and Nick, did Langston get convicted of anything? Or was he cleared and he was allowed to move away?

10. byline

byline CSI Level One

I didn't get the impression that Ray was charged/convicted of anything, just that he was either fired or resigned.

11. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

All that was said was that he got railroaded by Internal Affairs, whatever that means and that he moved to Baltimore to be with his ex-wife. I'm guessing that railroaded by IA means he was forced to resign. It was probably like, "If you resign, the investigation will not be pursued. If you refuse, we will investigate you and all the cases you've worked on could be in jeopardy letting out guilty people"... or something to that effect.

12. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Nick was probably yelled at for helping Ray in LA instead of doing what Cath said.

Cath they may have been hard on due to past issues...."Play with Fire" they really did not like... I think Grissom managed to help her hide the check from Sam and the personal DNA test, but then later, after she became the supervisor, Riley said she had problems controlling her team and there wasn't cohesion...I bet IA jumped on that.

13. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Nick didn't disobey Catherine in LA. She told him to find Ray and he did. Catherine didn't tell Nick to do anything else, but that.

However, I'm sure he got in trouble with the shooting of the gun and getting arrested.

I also think he's been demoted, as well and they just haven't confirmed that. I wish they would, but I won't hold my breath. Tptb don't seem to like telling us anything. :rolleyes:

ETA: Not to mention, that DB said he liked Nick and would hate to get lose him, so Ecklie could have been considering firing him. That's why I think he was demoted, as well.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011