Laurence/Raymond: Man of Mystery

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Sinclair

Sinclair Rookie

I'd always felt like TPTB had sold out when they went for Fishburne, he was never right for the show and comments like that show it. Personally i feel he lacks the warmth that both Petersen and Danson have, hopefully Danson will repair the damage that Fishburne caused - the positive effect he's had on the cast is already obvious from the behind the scenes clips.

2. Ladybronco

Ladybronco Pathologist

Well, he was certainly happy with the show when he apparently thought he was going to "save" it instead of kill it :lol:

I still feel it was not his choice to leave, and I know that's open to debate :rolleyes:.
    That was a tactless thing to say at a press conference for another movie too.
    And I think I would tone down the use of the word "stupid", Laurence, if you want to keep your fan base! Sour grapes indeed!

3. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Wow. Sour grapes, indeed. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm thinking more and more that he wasn't asked back. Thank god!

Now CSI can get back to what made it a great show in the first place and I think Danson will help with that.

4. Robinjn

Robinjn Prime Suspect

Do the words "taken out of context" mean anything to you? Try reading the sentence before the "stupid" remark again. It said he didn't directly compare CSI to Contagion. I got the impression the "stupid" remark referred to many of the movies that are put out today, not CSI. He talks about how smart Contagion is. Other movies are stupid. Contagion is smart. Get it now? :rolleyes:

Not once did LF say he thought he was going to save the CSI. Carol Mendelsohn was the one who gave the impression it was such a coup to get him. And since CSI is still on, he didn't kill it either.

But, believe what you want to believe if that's what floats your boat. Hate on! :mad:

5. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

This.

6. Robinjn

Robinjn Prime Suspect

I looked up the actual Contagion press conference that this article refers to, the one that included director Steven Soderbergh, LF, Matt Damon, and others. LF is definitely referring to alot of movies being stupid; it was not a reference to CSI.

As for the comment he made re: the reason he left CSI--does the article say HOW he said it? Could he have been joking? Not knowing how he said it leaves the interpretation wide open. I ask this because in the actual interview mentioned above, LF did make a joke about how having to recite all those medical terms on CSI got him the job on Contagion. So it is conceivable that he was joking when he made the other comment about the reason he left CSI. Unfortunately, that comment was not in the interview I read.

7. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I definitely agree he was talking about other movies when he made the "stupid" comment, but there's no indication in the article he was joking around so I don't see why anyone would come to that conclusion.

8. Robinjn

Robinjn Prime Suspect

I didn't conclude anything. All I said was that given what I read in the actual interview--NOT the sound bites in news article in the Toronto Sun--I think it was very possible he could have been joking.

The writer didn't say how LF said it. In my opinion it was presented in such a way as to stir up shit. Mission accomplished.

9. PerfectAnomaly

I didn't say you specifically came to any conclusions. How about a link to the interview? It's pretty hard to have a frame of reference or form an opinion without reading the "actual interview."

10. Robinjn

Robinjn Prime Suspect

11. PerfectAnomaly

You could interpret that as another slam to the show disguised as a "joke" considering he said "so it wasn't all bad."

Just becasue the writer said it was "in jest" doesn't mean he was really joking anymore than a writer omiting he was joking means he wasn't.

12. Frosch

Frosch Witness

My thoughts exactly. It seemed clear to me that he was talking about movies and not CSI. He is after all primarily a movie actor.
    I find it a lot more telling that he is not talking about his 2 ½ years on CSI at all, almost as though it never existed. To me that's a bigger insult.

13. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

"That's why I'm not there anymore" referring to credulity-stretching in the show and "it wasn't all bad" making it seem as if the rest of it was bad, and the Emmy's interview "I did all I could" which doesn't sound so bad until read along with these interviews lol.... yikes Mr. Fishburne.

I know there are a lot of times things are taken out of context and it's not the same when you read something vs when you see the person saying it, but.... this leaves a lot of room for things to be taken the wrong way. It would appear there are some things he is not too happy about.

14. Robinjn

Robinjn Prime Suspect

Or, the "it" in "so it wasn't all bad" is referring to having to recite medical terms in Contagion, which is what the paragraph was about. Talk about splitting hairs! :rolleyes:

Have you ever asked someone something like how was your weekend or how are you doing, and the response is, Oh, not too bad. 99.99% of the time, does that mean it was actually bad?

If I have a persecution complex when it comes to LF, then you and others have a prosecution complex.

Found an audio version of the press conference. There's lots of laughter at this press conference. LF's comments were said in jest. The one about "that's why I left" was most definitely an offhand comment and everyone laughed, so it was definitely taken out of context by the writer of the Toronto Sun article. It's around the 25:30 mark if you care to give a listen. But you probably won't: "My mind's made up, don't confuse me with the facts."

http://scifitalkpodcast.wordpress.com/2011/09/04/contagion-press-conference/

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  15. Ladybronco

Ladybronco Pathologist

Since I originally mentioned LF using the word stupid, I want to clarify.

I didn't mean that he called CSI stupid, I too, was positive he meant other movies. I was just bringing up "stupid" in general, because there are a LOT of people in this world who just don't like the word, and find it insulting. I guess the PC thing to do would have been to use other adjectives in describing the quality of movies out there today. I'm pretty sure movie-goers and movie makers would rather not be called stupid over their choices of movies. As far as a fan base goes, it can be considered to be the fans who see his movies or the "fans" who want to hire him for their movies.

I apologize if I gave the impression I thought he was calling CSI stupid.
    And no, I don't feel I'm prosecuting LF because I believe he was "let go" rather than he chose to walk away. And notice, I did not say "fired". As best I can tell, even Gary Dourdan was let go when his contract was up, rather than TPTB stating publically that he was fired. I believe it's called saving face?