H/Cal, GSR - The two of them, the two of us

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by _Calleigh_, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Wyoming

Wyoming Head of the Graveyard Shift

Oh damnit, you've got me hooked on this stuff...

2. _Calleigh_

_Calleigh_ Coroner

Whoa, I can't believe I'm already posting chapter #7 :eek:
    Thank you all for your reviws and thanks to Robert Smith & The Cure for the song at the end of the chapter. ;)

Enjoy!

BOYS DON'T CRY

The light looked blinding. The white walls of the hospital sent bright reflections and the sun was shining as though nothing had happened. The tears he felt collecting inside his tired eyes, empty and motionless, confused his sight.
    For three hours he had sat on that chair outside the corridor of the surgery room. Nobody had spoken to him, except that nurse who had asked him if Sara Sidle had some allergy to drugs. Feeling powerless and terrified, he had just shaken his head, muttering, consternated, that he didn’t know.
    He didn’t know.
    How the hell was that possible?
    Gil covered his face with his hands, staring at the floor with an unpleasant weight on his heart. He had known Sara for ages, more than fifteen years. She had spent half of her life with him and still he knew so little of her. They had had a few significant moments of confidence lately, but he had never been able to open up to her. And now he felt unbearably guilty.
    It was the third time he had to face that: Sara’s life was in danger, and once again there was nothing he could do. She had survived the explosion at the lab and Trent’s assault. Was she going to survive this too?
    He remembered Horatio’s face when he had answered the phone, a few hours earlier. The fear in his look. The pain. The shock in his voice when he had told him Calleigh and Sara had been shot at the crime scene.
    In that moment one of the doctors came out the door to be replaced by another colleague. The blood on his latex gloves made Gil shiver. Sara’s blood. Sara’s vital lymph.
    He stood up at once, looking feverishly at the man. He tried to say something, to ask about Sara’s conditions, but his mouth refused to obey what his brain was commanding.
    “How is she?” he managed to whisper at last.
    The doctor glanced down at Gil’s shaking hands and sighed, looking straight into his eyes.
    “Pray for her, Mr. Grissom.”

He was sure that was what angels looked like when asleep: perfect, gentle and peaceful.
    Her hair lay lank on the white pillow, shining under the warm sunbeams coming down on her like a heavenly rain. She did look like an angel with that faint smile on her pale lips.
    He sat next to the bed, holding her cold hand in his, listening to the comforting rhythmical sound of the machineries that monitored her vital sings. That was the only thing that proved she was alive.
    She was alive. That was the only important thing.
    He gently placed a loving kiss on her forehead and caressed her cheek with his right hand, feeling the softness of her skin under his palm. She was beautiful, even though she had been one only step away from death.
    His look moved to her stomach and he felt the tears coming to his eyes. He knew that under the blankets there were the bandages that covered her bruised skin and the wound caused by the bullet.
    He didn’t dare touch her because he was afraid he could somehow hurt her, but all he wanted to do was wrap her inside his arms and let her know he was there with her. The doctors had said she was fine and all she needed was some rest.
    Horatio wiped one tears from his face and when he looked down again he found Calleigh’s eyes open.
    “Hey Lieutenant,” she murmured with a smile. Her voice was barely a whisper, but the silence around them was so deep he could easily catch every single word.
    “Hey Beautiful,” he heard his own voice tremble as he leant on her, no longer caring to hide his emotions. She was awake and even though she looked very weak, Horatio knew everything would be fine.
    “What happened?” she asked with an evident effort.
    Horatio glanced at her, unable to decide whether to tell her or not about the situation.
    “Doe is dead,” he said. “But his twin will soon be interviewed.”
    Calleigh gave him a worried look.
    “You know it’s not what I was asking about,” she said. “Horatio, please, I need to know.” Her eyes filled with tears as her hand moved to her own stomach. “Didn’t I-?“
    He felt his heart sink when he heard her voice break without finishing the sentence. He took her hand with both of his and kissed it.
    “No,” he answered sweetly. “The baby is fine. The doctor said it’s more than perfect.”
    Calleigh smiled brightly while she let the tears crawl down her cheeks. She bit her lower lips, trying to keep herself from crying.
    “Thank you my god!” she sobbed. “I was afraid I had-”
    “Shush, it’s alright, baby…” He whispered, cupping her face with one hand. “It’s alright.”
    Calleigh nodded, letting him wipe her tears. Horatio did his best to calm her down. The worst part was yet to come.
    “Where’s Sara?” she asked.
    At first Horatio thought it was better not to tell her about it, but then he realized it wouldn’t be fair to lie to her, so he sighed and bent his head, helpless.
    “She’s still in the surgery room,” he said.
    Calleigh swallowed, fighting back the angst she felt in her throat.
    “She may not make it, Cal,” he added after a short pause, anticipating her next question.
    “She saved my life,” she breathed. “And she saved the baby. She protected me with her own body.”
    “I’ll never be grateful enough to her, then.” Horatio replied in a serious tone, delicately stroking her belly. “Cause if she saved you and our child, she saved me too.”

Gil was walking up and down the corridor, not exactly aware of what he was actually doing. All he could think about was Sara. His Sara. His beautiful, strong, frail Sara.
    It was selfish of her to let him suffer like that. She shouldn’t have let it happen. She really shouldn’t have.
    He felt ashamed for what he was thinking, but he couldn’t help it. He needed to rationalize, or he was sure otherwise he would go crazy. He couldn’t possibly lose her, not now, not yet. There were too many unspoken things, too many unanswered questions. For the third time in his life, Gil Grissom was afraid he was too late.
    “Gil…”
    He lifted his eyes and saw Horatio standing by him, a worried expression on his face.
    “Horatio,” he said. “How’s Calleigh?”
    Horatio sat down next to him and joined his hands, leaning his elbows on his knees.
    “She’s okay,” he answered. “She’s very weak, but she doesn’t care. She’s just happy she didn’t lose the baby.”
    Gil nodded but said nothing. He was glad Calleigh and her child was safe and sound, but that was not a big consolation.
    “Sara saved them,” Horatio continued. “She saved my whole family, and they’re all I have in the world. I owe her my entire life.”
    Gil turned slightly to him, feeling the pain growing inside, and yet relieved. After all, Sara’s sacrifice hadn’t been in vain.
    “She’s always been the one who would give everything for the ones she loved,” he sighed. “She’s always been so tough and courageous…“
    His voice was blank and empty, almost emotionless, but his eyes couldn’t hide his inner despair.
    “She still is, Gil.” Horatio said, placing on hand on his shoulder. “And when she will come out of there and she will wake up, I want to thank her personally for everything she has done.”
    There was a song in the air and it came from the speaker hung on the ceiling at the end of the corridor. Gil hadn’t even realized it was there before.

I would break down at your feet
    And beg forgiveness
    Plead with you
    But I know that
    It’s too late
    And now there’s nothing I can do

Its melody was breezy, but the lyrics hit him right in the centre of his chest. It was so hard to bear…

So I try to laugh about it
    Cover it all up with lies
    I try to
    Laugh about it
    Hiding the tears in my eyes
    ’cause boys don’t cry

Sara’s life was in danger and he had no power on that, no control.
    He felt like his life was about to slip out of his hands and leave him there to bleed in silence. All he wanted to do was scream and shout out his feelings, let the whole world know what he had kept secret for such a long time, but he knew he couldn’t do it.
    He had to stay quiet and, as the doctor had suggested to him, pray.

I would tell you
    That I loved you
    If I thought that you would stay
    But I know that it’s no use
    That you’ve already
    Gone away

He had never believed in God nor he had ever been a religious man, but now he felt the urge to grasp at something more than science, something that he could rely on. He needed to believe in something other than logic, because this time rationality wouldn’t help him.

Misjudged your limits
    Pushed you too far
    Took you for granted
    I thought that you needed me more
    Now I would do most anything
    To get you back by my side

In that moment the door of the corridor that led to the surgery room opened and five doctors appeared. Their faces didn’t show anything. No expression, no feeling.
    Gil felt himself freezing instantly as they walked towards him. He jumped up, his heart beating furiously. Horatio stood up next to him.
    The doctors entered a room, while the surgeon-in-chief walked in front of him and cleared his throat without looking up.

But I just
    Keep on laughing
    Hiding the tears in my eyes
    ’cause boys don’t cry
    Boys don’t cry

“Mr. Grissom…”

Boys don’t cry

TBC...

3. Guest

Guest Guest

This isn't fair you can't leave us at such a cliffhanger...
    But this really is an excellent fic, please post again soon!

4. melbel

melbel Pathologist

wicked keep this up!

5. Megara

Megara Witness

Hi !!
    Really really wicked !!
    I'm so happy Caleigh didn't loose her baby !!
    And I'm not surprised at all Sara protected her !!
    Fight Sara !!!
    Megara1

6. CHILI_PEPPERS

CHILI_PEPPERS Pathologist

i love it!!! nooo you cant stop there i cant wait for more!! i love it!

7. Wyoming

Wyoming Head of the Graveyard Shift

wow....amazing....as I said, you've got me hooked. lol

8. lea

lea Police Officer

WOW! i hope Sara doesnt die :(:(:( more soooon!!

9. CSI_Grissom

CSI_Grissom Lab Technician

That was great, but i hate cliffhangers! :lol:

please update soon!

btw, melbel, i love your avatar! :lol:

10. zippy

zippy CSI Level Two

Dang I didn't even realize there's a new chapter until now!

I really love this chapter. It's so painful yet there's something beautiful about it. Absolutely love it that Horatio shed a tear. And the song weaved into the story...brilliant!

I hope Sara's gonna be fine. *cross fingers and pray too*

11. _Calleigh_

_Calleigh_ Coroner

Guys, I'm back!
    I'm having some troubles with my email, so I can't send my beta the new chapter... Anyone wants to betaread chapter 8?

12. M4xw311

M4xw311 Rookie

Yeah I want to read it!

13. _Calleigh_

_Calleigh_ Coroner

Max, you're hired! :D

14. HCfanforlife1982

HCfanforlife1982 Police Officer

Wow. That was an intease chapter. I didn't know there was a new chapter till just now. lol. I am so happy that Cal is alright and I hope that Sara is too. Please post more soon.

15. zippy

zippy CSI Level Two

What? Sara's alright? Where's the latest episode? I don't see it...did I miss something??