Season 8 Spoiler Discussion - There's Nothing You Can't Do In New York

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by vegaslights, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ragincajun

ragincajun Prime Suspect

2. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

Re: Season 8 Spoiler Discussion - There's Nothing You Can't Do In New

Lol. Yes, more important than a 9/11 tribute, let's get straight to teh nub of DL :lol:

Gad :p. There's simply no escaping the warp DL puts on the show :lol: ;).

To each their own, yada, but, lol. Right up there with, "Will Flack be getting a haircut this season?" and frankly, I'd rather know about the latter :p.

Well, I suppose what I can happily take from this is the possible inference that the earlier hint at premiere DL interaction will only be a small part of the ep, while the 9/11 group past reflection aspect does indeed get the main focus. *Phew* :lol:.

I'm also glad to see that the promotion has meant Danny's now working in a different capacity. (I can guess NY is also hoping that Messer presumably in uniform with stripes will lead to happy squeeing as well :lol:. Whatever it takes, I suppose. At least there will be no odd cardigans for a bit :p).

What is promising to me is that it's indicated that Danny will be responsible for others, and so perhaps there may come some episode that has some incident or explores the ramifications of that, whether someone under him gets injured, or does something rash, or wrong, etc.

I'm curious too, how they'll work his integration into cases, should they keep him there for awhile, or for the season.

Kinda sorta vaguely know of her. Guess we'll see how it works out. She's certainly pretty :).

Very glad to hear that there will be a wider focus that includes the others as well, notwithstanding the loss Mac suffered. That said, I am glad that they are daring to broach the relationship that's been so present as part of his character and yet only ever so intermittently touched on directly.

Interesting. I guess tracking down an open house to drop off a whim of a letter to a woman he met in line at a deli isn't considered pursuit :lol:. Still, I like that they seem to be trying to change things up and evolve the characters further.

...I suppose it would be an odd season iffin there weren't at least one club based ep :p.

Well, aside from how they ended the Mac/Peyton relationship, I haven't had huge issues with what they've written for Mac's character in the romance department; and even so, the Hitchcock ep Forlani returned for was fun enough :p. I think that what they've written for him and his penchant for brunettes :p has been pretty concise, and integrated well, whether with Peyton, hinting at some past incident with Quinn, deli & pizza encounters with Aubrey, or asking Julia Ormond's DI Whitford or whatever her name was to coffee. Hmm, ya know, I've evidently had surprisingly few complaints, all told :lol:.

Flack/Angel definitely did have a spark though, and while I didn't love everything NY wrote for them, they were certainly a fun couple. I thought that the Danny/Rikki arc was also handled well. Jo/Russ are also fun as ex's.

So, essentially, character-wise, I think DL haven't been the best exemplar of what's possible, that neither has flourished since being paired up. I do admittedly have mixed feelings about Camille's brief appearances so far. I also think that in the past, Stella, especially, fared rather poorly for how she was used in the heart department. NY has, IMO, managed to come up with some decent stuff for others.

I agree to an extent, yet there still has to be some way to link them into the eps, and that's typically done thru cases.

Jo/Russ had him tapping into FBI info on related cases. Camille, Hawke's new love, was also intro'd via various nefarious plots :lol:.

Guess for me it may also depend on how it's handled and integrated, whether it's a one ep indication/depiction of the sort PV describes, ie. Mac pursuing someone, that may get more specific focus, or whether they intend to have said new interest recur from time to time and draw it out, etc. I shrug. I'm happy to see what they come up with anyways.

What I Do Not Want is any interoffice stuff, if only to avoid an ever-present and monopolizing focus. So long as the scope of Mac initiating some relationship takes place essentially outside the core roster and it's immediate realm, its six o' one/half dozen teh other to me.

(and honestly, I seriously doubt NY would go about it in any other way).

Regardless, I think it could be huuuugely entertaining to see Jo, in all her exuberant personality, tease and prod Mac about any interest in a new woman :p.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  3. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I was just reading the News Forum and mulder42 pointed out that Jaime Ray Newman is too young for the role of Claire. Not having ever heard of JRN, I Googled her. She's two months younger than Eddie Cahill and she's playing Mac's wife. :wtf: If Mac is going to persue someone this season I'd almost hope it is Jo, or at least someone else who is age appropriate.

4. Sarah

Sarah Victim

I think Jaime Ray Newman is an appropriate age to play Claire because its supposed to be in flashbacks so its 10 years ago.

5. PerfectAnomaly

If they were around the same age that means 10 years ago Mac was in his early thirties. I don't buy that even using CSI:NY's messed up time lines.

6. Sarah

Sarah Victim

Yeah, I see what your saying. We'll just have to wait and see how it plays out on TV.

7. PerfectAnomaly

It'll probably play out fine. I just get a bug in my bonnet about Hollywood having some type of rule that an actor can be in his fifties but an actress playing his love interest has to be 20+ years younger than that. It seems like all of the actresses who've played Mac's love interests have been significantly younger than Gary.

8. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Oh yeah, Sam and Flack continuity would be a win.

One thing. Assuming the actress in the pictures from season...what was it, four? was not cast as Claire, how they gonna handle that? Just pretend it wasn't a different woman in the pics?

9. PerfectAnomaly

From Vanessa Marcil Giovinazzo's Twitter:

10. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

Thanks PA, would it be inappropriate for me to say he looks hot?

11. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Nope. ;)

12. perlnoir

perlnoir Pathologist

thanksssssssssssssssssssss PA

13. Rizzoli

Rizzoli Lab Technician

Nice, I'm really looking forward to this episode now, is it too much to ask that Aiden return? Really wishful thinking there, but unlike Melina Kanakaredes, Vanessa Ferlito didn't leave on a sour note, I'm sure she'd be willing to do an episode if she was asked, she seemed happy to be asked back for "Heroes" in Season 2

14. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I don't think the writers have ever been too definite about Mac's age, or at least they've been fairly fluid with it (as they have with other characters' ages, I'm sure they've changed Stella's about 3 times). I really couldn't care less about the age thing though, I long ago accepted that CSI NY is not so hot with the age/timeline thing. What matters to me is that we *finally* get to see Claire & Mac together, and we *finally* get a 9/11 episode. As long as the ep is well written (and we get a Mac & Claire kiss) I will happily overlook the age issue. I've always thought that Claire was probably quite a bit younger than Mac anyway. He does seem to attract younger women after all ;)

Jade, if we get a Mac/Claire kiss, I will absolutely be reduced to a pile of melty goo.

I'm pleased to read that Danny will be supervising uniformed cops, this should be *really* interesting, not only giving him the chance to develop on his own as a character away from Lindsay, but also help mature him a little, make him grow up a bit etc. I thought having Lucy would do that, and I think being a father made him at least consider being more responisble, but IMO the writers focused more on 'DL As A Couple Being Parents' than on 'Danny Becoming a Father'. So I really hope the move away from the lab and into a supervisory role with considerable responsibility will mean big changes for Danny as a cop and as a man. For example, he's not going to be able to run off on his little 'Danny adventures' ala All in the Family/The Party's Over' etc.

15. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

No, he wasn't in his early 30's. He was 39 when the Towers fell. Being the Mac nerd that I am, I put together a timeline for him. While we've never been explicitly given his age in the series, it's fairly easy to guess based off a couple clues. He mentions that he was a new Lt. when he was in Beruit. Given that and his referenced college science background, it's fairly safe to assume that he went to Marine ROTC and commissioned in as a 2nd Lt. Making him 21 y/o in 1983 (Beruit). From here the rest is fairly easy.

1962 – DOB
    1983 – Marine 2nd Lt. (21 y/o)
    1987 – met Claire (25 y/o) - just a guess, but a pretty safe one I think
    1990 – married Claire (28 y/o) - given his newly-wed comment to his father in 'Blacklist'
    1991 – left Marines, took NYPD job as beat cop, father died (29 y/o)
    1994 – made detective and joined crime lab (32 y/o) - best guess based on references in s7 and his lightning speed up through the department
    1998 – made detective 1st grade, Stella joined lab (36 y/o) - the 1st grade is again a best guess, but Stella joining the lab date is not
    2001 – Claire died (39 y/o)
    2002 – became head of crime lab (40 y/o) - again, best guess on the year based on the fact that he seemed fairly new yet not brand new to the position in s1, and that he couldn't possibly have gotten to this position any sooner given he was only out of academy 11 years! It wasn't even as if he had prior police experience coming into the department...!
    2003 – ‘Blink’ (41y/o)

And given that he was only 29 when he and Claire got married, I don't see her being hugely younger than he was. Younger for sure, but I really don't think it was more than 7-8 years. She was a college student where he was stationed, or something like that.

And on a spoiler note, I was at the Lt. Dan Band concert in OshKosh, WI last night, and Gary mentioned out they just finished shooting 8.01, and said that they've included the Wall of Remembrance Memorial (where the pictures and plaques of all the first responders who died at 9/11 are) as a location in the episode. He said he'd been bugging the writers/staff for two years to get them to include it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.