Season 12 Spoiler Lab Discussion

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

I haven't seen Danson before on any show so I think I'm going to wait til September to judge the producers' decision to bring him on the show...The good thing is that they try to establish a more lighthearted character compared to Ray who was really dark...
    Season premiere over 2 months away...:(

2. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

Danson? Never really saw that one coming. As I did with Fishburne I'm going to keep an open mind until I see him. He might be good...

While I wanted Nick to be the supe, I kinda suspected that tptb wouldn't give it to him. Doesn't mean he won't be a lead though. And I do agree that I'm going to be far more accepting of Ted's character if he is already a supervisor.

Ignoring the connection to Wendy. I don't want to get my hopes up...

And dammit Shane! You always post the really awesome news when I go to bed!! :lol:

3. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

I'm awake at weird times. ;)

4. K-Bug

K-Bug Lab Technician

.......um, scuse me. Back up the gosh damn freaking bus.

Hello? CSI? You HAVE a supervisor. I swear, if Langston gets Catherine fired/demoted cause of his stupidity, I. Will. Never. Watch. The. Show. AGAIN.

5. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

Personally, I'm beginning to hope George Eads has not resigned! There is no way that Ted Danson would keep me awake at the 10 pm hour. I couldn't stand Cheers and I'm in Massachusetts. When was the last show Ted Danson had? He hasn't been on TV in years has he? :wtf:

I was just thinking before clicking the respond button...
    CSI should have easlily had that "all important" 18-49 demographic with that switch to Wednesday nights. This I don't consider a way to keep it. How many in the younger half of that demo want to watch someone who their parents watched at that age? There's no better way to stop my niece (granted she's only 16) from watching something you would prefer she not watch than by saying 'I watched that when I was your age!'.

Susan

6. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Interesting take on the whole thing there, blackflag! I was wondering too how an 'old man' like Danson should help to get more viewers in the 18-49 demographic ... and the switch to Wednesday night already made it hard to get more viewers... this really is rediculous :(

As for George... It's just sad and I really would understand if he wouldn't come back :( But I want him to come back! This all just sucks, why couldn't they give him what he deserves for crying out loud? :scream:

7. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Actually he's been on a lot of shows recently, all cable shows though. Damages on FX and Bored to Death on HBO (still on it part time apparently). Prior to then he was on Curb your Enthusiasm...again on HBO.

8. byline

byline CSI Level One

Interesting news about Danson. I'll adopt a "wait and see" attitude. He's been good in a great many projects (not just "Cheers"), and so it remains to be seen if the role is written in such a way that fits him in with the rest of the team.

As for Catherine, if Ecklie's daughter is joining the team, then I have to wonder if Ecklie will move elsewhere (so as not to be in an administrative position over his own daughter), and Catherine will be promoted to undersheriff? That would be my preference. It would allow Marg to have the reduced screen time she seems to be looking for, while still remaining on the series.

9. PrincessJ88

PrincessJ88 Coroner

Not unless after the IA investigation, Catherine gets some sort of reprimand or demotion and naturally since Nick is assistant he'd be the logical choice but declines saying that isn't how I want to become supervisor. I want to earn it.

Thus, in comes Danson. I could see that happening

10. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

10:00 pm is a weird time because most of us old folks are in bed by 10:00:lol:

Unless they did that deliberately to try and bring in younger viewers.;)

11. agneskenya

agneskenya Victim

Despite my respect for Laurence Fishburne, I really felt like they shoved Langston down our throats. Now that I got used to him despite the over the top serial killer storylines (The Nate Haskell Sl was good at the very beginning and the very end only and the other serial killer thing was just too much Langston at once), he leaves without even finishing his story arc...and to make it better they're bringing back the coldest character there ever was on CSI (Curtis)...

I entirely agree with PerfectAnomaly who wrote around page 35 that the point is how the character is written, and not who the actor is. I was more into Langston when he had less screentime. At the end of S11, I was still watching CSI, but without enjoying it, although I found that the finale was awesome.
    Babydoll also mentioned what bothered me with Ray: him coming in, learning stuff, and a week later (so to speak) he's leading interrogations...it was all too much too fast, no matter how much screentime he was taking away from the others. For me, it was an addition of the two: I could have dealt with less screentime for the others if they had kept Ray's abilities as a CSI realistic. SuperRay didn't do it for me at all.

I think I'm done, except if they manage to REALLY do something with the lab rats. Wendy would have been awesome in the field, I love Hodges, Archie and Bobby are pretty great as well...I'm starting to think that the last Grissom ep should have been the last CSI ep. It would have made an awesome ending, and I'd rather see my show end in glory then get boring and go to flames. Or they should have kept Liev Shreiber alive. He was a great character.

Maybe bringing Ted Danson will make things better, but I'm afraid that CBS is doing damage control rather than taking care of the show. There is no shame in ENDING a show well. Monk did it. CSI can do it.

CBS could foster what they already have and what makes people tune in. And I'm pretty sure it isn't just Langston, Curtis or Riley, but rather a chemistry within the team. That I'm afraid will be hard to get back, especially if Marg is leaving. Lab rats were a way to have that and get some comedy within a rather dark show.

I still wish it will go back on track, but I'm very worried.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  12. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Well, he's 63...not that old. :p And apparently he's well-liked by his peers and fans.

In his thirty-year career, Danson has been nominated for fourteen Primetime Emmy Awards, winning two; ten Golden Globe Awards nominations, winning three; one Screen Actors Guild Awards nomination; one American Comedy Award and a star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame. He was ranked second in TV Guide's list of the top 25 television stars.

And maybe he's coming from Portland, Maine. ;)

I'm still not happy about it, but I guess that's the business of television. I hope we hear soon about who has renewed their contract. (When people type "resigned" I always read it as resigned....like quit...resigned. :lol: )

13. stimpy

stimpy Victim

I'm starting to think that there will be some major repurcussions from the whole Nate Haskell fiasco...Logically the only reason to be bringing in a "new" supervisor is because something happened to the old one...I really think that Catherine is going to be demoted or possibly suspended?....and who is to say the same thing isn't going to happen to Nick?...And think of this--this is/could be a real shake-up in the lab...and just maybe Marg, George, Paul, Eric, Jorja and the rest of the cast are really looking forward to playing this out...could be some new and very interesting material...just my thoughts after thinking about all this for awhile! Thanks for listening to me ramble! :D

14. Frosch

Frosch Witness

Ted Danson, I quite like this choice. I think he ticks a couple of boxes that many CSI viewers were asking for, 1) while he is a big name star he is primarily a TV rather than a movie star, 2) his character will be introduced as a highly qualified and authoritative figure. Furthermore, TD is one of the most recognizable as well as likeable TV personalities of the last 30 odd years. I imagine this will, at least in the beginning, automatically bring in a slew of new viewers. Granted, they probably won’t fit the desirable 18-49 demographic, but then I have seen discussions on this very board that demographics aren't really that important anymore, so who knows?

I also think that bringing in a couple of fresh faces is a positive thing. In all honesty things were getting a little ‘incestuous’ for lack of a better word. If you have the same small group of people who have practically been together for 10 years and more, things often become a little too cosy which is how we’ve arrived at this situation i.e. team members to varying degrees having covered or turned a blind eye to arguably criminal actions by one of their own.

Having two new characters with no history or loyalties to any of the old cast opens up a lot more possibilities for character development, for old and new. It can’t hurt at this point to shake things up for the entire cast. As unpopular as it is, I can see TPTB demoting Catherine and possibly the rest of the team getting a black mark on their record. I can well see a mad, bad and resentful Catherine having to deal with the fall out and among other things having to redefine her relationship with Nick, Greg, Sara etc. (how do you go from being someone's supervisor to being one of them).

One plus side for Ted Danson is that he is not a replacement for Grissom/WP. I think that automatically eliminates a lot of the criticism LF had to face for having to follow in WP’s footsteps.

15. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

But if the team gets demoted or whatever and that's why the Ted character (any word yet on the character's name?) is brought in, how is the team (and the fans) supposed to accept it and be happy? Surely the team will be cleared somehow, otherwise how could they go forward with business as usual?

I'm wondering if Brass and Catherine will get into it. Brass covered for Ray, but he has continually blamed Catherine for getting Haskell out of prison in the first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.