Season 8 Spoiler Discussion - There's Nothing You Can't Do In New York

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by vegaslights, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Re: Season 8 Spoiler Discussion - There's Nothing You Can't Do In New

Re: bringing in an "award winning" actress with the expectation that the show will suddenly do better than ever - TPTB needn't have looked any farther than the original CSI to see how that works out. Laurence Fishburne is nothing if not a high profile actor, and his addition to the series didn't do much to slow the show's steady decline following Petersen's departure. They couldn't expect anybody to suddenly bring millions more viewers to the show, and I doubt that was the case.

Bringing in an established, talented, recognizable actor is its own reward, in some ways, but it ultimately comes down to the writing whether the character is a success or not. CSI made some missteps with Langston's characterization IMO, but NY has done a pretty good job of integrating Jo into the established group. (I'm not saying there weren't a few stumbling blocks, especially at the beginning of the season, but I feel like they found their footing. Everybody else has been there since season 2, if not season 1, and it's difficult to get a new character settled in so they stop feeling like the 'newbie' who sticks out like a sore thumb and detracts from the established flow of the series. I feel like Jo added a new dynamic to the team, but otherwise her presence didn't upset the overall balance the series has had for seven seasons.)

Anyway, I'm rambling. What I'm basically trying to say is that I doubt they brought Sela in with the expectation that she would single-handedly revive a dying franchise. However, an audience is probably more likely to give change a chance when they see that the person coming in is a respected, established actor. It lends a bit of legitimacy to the character before the episodes even start airing. I mean, think about how many of us were relieved when we read that Sela was coming in to replace Melina - even before we saw the character on the show, it seemed less worrisome knowing that they were replacing her with someone good.

I don't know if I'm making sense, but I know what I mean. :lol:

2. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

Dude. I love that there are myriad differing opinions on all matters, and that the boards here provide a forum for discussing them. There have been many great, ardent, articulate exchanges.

You do not seem to be interested in responding or joining debate at all, but rather prefer making periodic, thwarted ship-based strafing rants. I think it is rather unfortunate to see the forum used in this way.

(...btw, perhaps Shipper Central/NY Debates might be a good destination for your next run?)

Not gonna bother to get into this again, nor I Am Legion presumptions. This is not even a matter of perception. This is a ridiculous assertion (to put it mildly :p).

BTW. In case you remain absolutely uncertain whether or not you have made your point about how you feel about Jo, I can assure you that you've been clear :p.

There is no need to apologize for having a different point of view. It might be nice to get the impression that a willingness to engage in dialogue is also present.

...Perhaps the reason that there is a larger body of material to reference is due that MK was on the show for six years, where SW has but one season :p. Within S7 season, I think the writers have established a fun and interesting dynamic between Mac and Jo in running things. Part of the fun has been in watching them get to know one another and figure out how to work and play together.

Competition also seems an odd way to read the show. Jo & Stella are different characters, different personalities, each spurring a different kind of interaction with Mac, be it close or conflicting on any given occasion.

Mind you, if you wish to suggest that Jo is in a league of her own, I don't think the character of Jo would disagree ;)

Me, I think Jo and Mac are fun to watch, as is Jo with everyone on the team. Funny how all the other characters seem to fall to the wayside as inconsequential in the face of ship tinged chat.

Nice :lol:, the apparent delight and satisfaction you seem to take in giving Jo a slur of a nick name that lets you continue to snipe just by mentioning her at all :shifty::p.

What really seems to burn some folk is that NY (and Mac in particular) do not, in fact, need Stella at all.

There is no fault and no blame. It's business, a teevee show, not a purveyor of personal shipping above all else.

TPTB were assuming that Melina was going to continue on the show in S7. They had written several scripts for production with this in mind. MK declined to continue. TPTB had to move forward, and did remarkably well in signing someone like Ward to the show.

I get the impression that it would not matter to some who the character was stepping in to succeed Stella, nor who was cast to play her, there would be much the same discontent & even abuse from some quarters (safely hurled from the anonymity of cyberspace). In that light alone it seems absurd to pile such on SW personally, when just about any actor would have faced the same.

For some to also wish for the end of the show rather than for the show to continue when changes occur might speak less to a loyalty, and more to a fickle following, and additionally to a lack of respect for MK and her choice to move on in her life and career.

One can always change the channel if entirely disenchanted with NY. Why wish it cancelled altogether but for some misplaced sense of spite?

MK, SW, and those who make the show do not owe anyone anything.

Agree.

Related to the above, I have to agree with this too.

The past few seasons, 5 & 6 especially, were extremely hit and miss, and mediocre on average. MK was on the show when it got the boot to Fridays in the first place. SW was on the show when it managed to eke out a renewal despite the move to the Friday death slot - neither take provides much substantial fodder.

What I can say is that IMO the show had felt in a rut the past few seasons, and had MK remained on the show, I don't think NY would have been obliged to take a hard look at itself, and make changes, in the way that her departure necessitated. It's entirely possible that the show not only would have found itself facing the same cancellation/renewal scenario, but that for lack of innovation and change it may well have lost. Who knows. I like the change. I like the energy. I like the opportunities.

...like Haylen Becall? NY's last venture was a mixed bag :p. Coulda been interesting to try again, but I'm glad they did continue with their previous structure.

In other examples, how about Riley on Vegas? Heck, even Ray supposedly started at a lower CSI level; didn't seem to matter to some folks. Or Seaver on Criminal Minds? A mixed response to the pretense her character was introduced by. (And talk about facing an uphill battle as an actress, walking into that production, after all that had transpired. Some liked her, some didn't, and there is little doubt that the Cook/Brewster bruha compounded any difficulties Rachel Nichols was going to be faced with playing a new character regardless). At least with Vegas and NY it was the choice of each WP and MK to leave.

NY did damned well to snag someone of Ward's caliber willing to step in on short notice. She is someone who did immediately provide some weight, balance and stability to the cast, and roster of characters, in a way I'm not wholly convinced that an in-house bumping up of Messer and adding a lower level newbie would have done.

For me, Messer's strength on the show has not really been as an anchor but as a character NY could use as a wild card, heading into gunfights w/o a vest, disobeying directives, not reporting his gun or badge missing, supporting the blu flu etc. That said, he's really not quite the man he used to be (which could be fine if only there were a clearer and more deliberate picture of who he now is).

(And good gawd, but for the life of me I could not imagine a less impressive incarnation for NY than one where Lindsay would in essence be the leading and senior female character :eek::rommie:).

I am glad that NY did write the new assistant supervisory role as a female character. NY is very much a boys' club as it is. Especially with Angell and Maka gone even as recurring realm characters. I also think that balance of male/female co-leads is one NY intended to keep after MK left (sorry Danny).

I agree that Carmine can shoulder a helluvalot more than NY has given him since S5, and in that respect too I could see Danny being given a story or opportunity career wise such as the Sergeant's exam might bring. I think that has the potential to be interesting because of the personal dilemma he will face, less for the professional challenge implied. That it was devised as, and will likely continue to be a DL device does somewhat dampen my enthusiasm for the scenario :p.

So, sure, I could see Danny being a second in command as interesting if only because it does not, to me, seem a good or natural fit for him, but I think I'd have liked that more as a deliberate arc, much as Morgan on CM stepped into for awhile; I'd prefer that because Danny would get more specific focus than simply a new background structure would likely provide. I guess the common ground is that I think a deliberate arc of some sort would serve Messer better than modifying the hierarchy in his favor.

Bottom line, I'd like Danny to get more focus anyways, and I also like Jo as second in command, and I'd not like material for one to come at the expense of the other.

I think the move to a Friday slot was among the biggest hurdles NY had to overcome. I think the show would have been on the verge whether it were SW in S7 or had MK remained.

I again suggest that there would be little expectation for SW to increase the ratings, especially with everything else it was facing. I think stability in turbulent waters was the first goal. Similar to Vegas & Fishburne, for example. I think Vegas as the mothership had the more difficult challenge in losing WP, to be honest. He's kind of a papa bear for the whole dang franchise.

Some of those questions are more for the network to answer, less the producers. Who knows what the ep order is, or whether all will air, despite what's ordered.

As for the show, will NY use the current roster they've signed or shove them to the side in favor of catering to a small percentage of frustrated shippers? Will NY concern itself with a sunset romance as a possible exit for the show, or will they continue to focus on Crime Scene Investigating in New York City? :p

I cannot wait to see either ;).

Agree.

Thank you. Agree.

Agree again.

I think there's truth in that. Agree yet again.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  3. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

I keep seeing the name "Jonah" mentioned, but last I heard Jonah Lotan last appeared in season six and hasn't been seen since (not to mention he's in a new show). So... Jonah? Who's that? ;) I recall there being a "Jo" on the show, though. :)

4. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

*cheers wildly* YES!!! Couldn't agree more! Danny ceased to be a character in his own right at the end of s2, and nothing can be done to salvage him at this point... not even this new "twist" of making him a Sergeant... :shifty:

As for shipping in general, I don't believe it ever works on a tv unless that's the point of the show. But particularly with a crime drama or anything where the whole point is anything but romance, shipping ventures just spell disaster. It's fun to write about it in fanfic, but then one is free to make romance the main point. If that's done in the actual eps, it ceases to be *crime scene investigation* or whatever the show is actually about... :p

5. UKFAN

UKFAN Dead on Arrival

I hope season 8 will go back to the fast pace show it once used to be, even if they have to stick a piece of dynamite up Jo (I'm so boring) Danville's bottom.

I would also like to see more of the other characters (and less of Jo) as they were very underused in season 7.

Please can someone tell me what IMO means?

6. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

IMO = in my opinion

7. nel2h

nel2h CSI Level One

I agree to UKFAN!!!!

8. UKFAN

UKFAN Dead on Arrival

Thank you Faylinn for telling me what IMO means.

Someone recent to these forums like myself don't alway know what these letters mean when used.

9. taylorgirl

taylorgirl Lab Technician

I think there should be more Jo/Ellie interaction. It's good to see how Jo had come to get Ellie and there past. Also,id love to see a lot more Mac/Jo interaction. Jo brings out the softer/sweeter side to Mac ,cracking jokes like ''Hot steamy sex'' when Hawkes and Camille were talking and when she asked if he wanted to go out with her and Ellie for a burger, but Mac and Jo went out for one when she wouldn't shut up about him being a father lol :). Furthermore, they had a intense conversation in there office in the season final about where is future lies. Usually, he wouldn't talk about it and just brush it off and say ''im fine'', but she got him to talk. She also brings out a little bit of a flirting side in Mac haha.

Finalllyyy, id love to see a shirtless, pissy, Wet, Mac.. gotta love that kind of Mac :devil:and i want Stella to come and visit the Lab! She has gotta be missing it(and Mac)..

10. raindrops1969

raindrops1969 Civilian

I hope Season 8 is better than Season 7, and I would personally like to see more scenes with Adam and Don.

11. UKFAN

UKFAN Dead on Arrival

I don't agree with the first paragraph I think Jo makes Mac a very (very) boring man and their flirtations are somewhat childish. Her scenes are so painfully slow I swear to god I fall asleep during them. She reminds me a bit of Lily Rush from Cold Case who was very airy fairy and seemed to be in another programme compared to her other gritty and down to earth cast members.

Mac needs a woman with gutso like Stella, you could see the spark there a mile away. It's ashame she kept turning Mac's offer down to sleep on his sofa - silly lady!

I agreed with the second paragraph - spot on.

However, I really hope the producers up the pace of the programme and if slow-Jo cannot keep up then get rid of her and bring in an actress with more energy and get up and go and yes lets see more of the other cast members, they deserve their fair share of screen time.

12. taylorgirl

taylorgirl Lab Technician

Sleep on the sofa :devil: noww, i think it should of been the spare side of his bed haha. Stella would of been a perfect match for Mac but they killed it by her leaving. They both understood each other, finished there sentences off and was just generally looked more than friends. I wanted to love Jo but she is no match for Stella. I don't think i was completly honest with my self saying Jo was good for Mac. There alright working partners but not the same connection as Stella and Mac. She totally just needs to come back to the lab, say i want my job back, kiss and make up and live happily ever after :D

Also, i just read the 4th page UKFAN when you said something about they brought csi ny back cause of Sela Ward.i agree with you, I literally LOL at this because its definitely not because of her. It's cause GARY SINISE IS THE MAN-no doubt about it and i think if he left, the rating's would go down.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  13. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

What's this about Danny possibly being second in command? I though Jo was second in command. :confused:

14. Sarah

Sarah Victim

Where did you hear that?

15. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I think some people are just assuming that if Danny takes the promotion he'd be second in command. That's not the case. Jo is second in command.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.