CSI: Miami - "Healing"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by furryfurbi, Jul 1, 2011.

1. furryfurbi

furryfurbi Victim

Title: Healing
    Author: furryfurbi
    Rating: T
    Genres: Hurt/Comfort & Romance
    Summary: As Horatio tries to recover from the events of 'Mayday', he is faced with a series of obstacles, and quite possibly, a second chance at love.

2. furryfurbi

furryfurbi Victim

Healing Chapter I - Fear And Prayer

Horatio Caine was awakened by a stabbing jolt of pain in his lower abdomen. Shifting his position slightly, he was punished by a wave of agony that washed over his entire body. Unable to help it, he moaned. When the pain had receded somewhat, he opened his eyes, slowly taking in the strange room. Where was he? All he could recall was that Natalia had asked him to meet her at the pier, hopefully to apprehend Randy or better yet, Toller. Then a gunshot rang out, and he fell to the ground. His last memory before everything went black was the cold, hard concrete of the pier pressing against his face.
    It seemed like that had been days ago. How long had he been here? And more importantly, where was his team? Eric, Calleigh, Ryan, Walter, and Natalia - Natalia! She had been at the pier with him. Panic surged through him and he prayed she hadn't fallen victim to their unseen attacker. Horatio attempted to rise, but the pain radiating through his torso was too much. He groaned again, louder.
    In the midst of his battle against the agony, Horatio failed to notice the soft footsteps of his nurse entering the room. He was startled by a cool, soft hand pressing against his forehead.
    "Lieutenant Caine?" A woman's voice said softly.
    He tried to reply but all that came out was a strangled gasp.
    "Lieutenant?" she asked again. "Are you all right?"
    "No," he managed to groan. "Pain..."
    "Don't worry, dear," the kind voice reassured. "I'll get you your medicine right away."
    "No... I need to stay awake," he said weakly. "My team... where are they?"
    "Well, last time I checked, an officer... Delko was keeping watch over you. I'll see if he's still here. And then I'll give you something to help you relax."
    "Thank you," he murmured, relaxing back onto the pillow.
    "No need, dear," she replied. "Anything I can do to help a good man like you, Lieutenant. Yes, I know who you are. You're Miami's hero."
    "I'm not..." He protested.
    The nurse pressed a finger to her lips. "Hush. I don't mean to embarrass you, but it is truly an honor. You do so much good for this city." She paused. "You know, my own boy, Ronnie, is in uniform as well."
    "You... you must be proud of him."
    She pressed a hand to her chest. "I certainly am. Bless both of you; such brave men. Oh, but let me see if I can find Officer Delko for you."
    Then she was gone, leaving Horatio alone in the stark, dimly lit cubicle. He lay still, trying to control the fear and frustration threatening to overwhelm him. If only he hadn't been so stupid! He'd placed not only himself but a fellow CSI in danger. Every one of his cop instincts, all his years of experience, should have told him Randy's "meeting" was a setup. Both North and Toller were probably lone gone by now, his team had wasted so much time saving him and Natalia... if she had survived.
    God, he implored silently, shutting his eyes, Please let Natalia be all right. Please don't let her die because of my shortcomings. She deserves so much more than that. This is my fault, not hers. If you have to take one of us, let it be me. I beg you.
    That was all he could do now - wait and pray. It was far too late for anything else.

Reviews are much appreciated!

3. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Hi, Welcome the Fan Fiction thread.

The fic seems good so far. Can't wait to read more. I see you've marked it as a romance. Is the romantic interest going to be a regular character or an original character?

Also, you can edit your posts for up to 24 hrs after posting, that way you don't have to double post. :)

4. furryfurbi

furryfurbi Victim

The love interest will be Renee Locklear, introduced in 9.22 Mayday and expected to return in the 10th season. Glad you like it!

5. GregNickRyanFan

Oh, cool. I loved the idea of them before she even appeared on the show lol.

6. fanilowchick

fanilowchick Police Officer

For some reason furryfurbi can't access her account so I was asked to post the story for her:

Healing Chapter 2 - Worry And Relief
    Eric Delko had been pacing from the moment he set foot in the hospital. Four hours had passed since the team had discovered Horatio's prone body on the pier where he and Natalia had gone to find Randy, a meeting that had turned into a nearly fatal setup. He shut his eyes, trying to block out the horrible memory of seeing his longtime boss and close friend sprawled helplessly on the ground, a large blood pool forming around him. But it was useless. Eric knew would never forget this day even if he lived to be one hundred.
    The day had been tough and long for everyone involved in trying to track down Jack Toller. The team had been called out early to the airport where Toller had hijacked his flight and escaped, wounding Sergeant Frank Tripp and leaving two dead bodies in his wake. Eric was thankful his boss got out without a scratch. A gunfight in close quarters was always deadly, not to mention at twenty thousand feet above ground.
    Then Eric himself had discovered the body of an innocent woman, a mother and wife, attacked and dumped on the side of the road like a piece of garbage. The moment he saw her lifeless form, he knew it had to be Toller. The next several hours passed in a whirlwind, as the entire team raced to find Toller and the young woman he had abducted, Kaylee. Their search eventually led them to the home of Bernard Ashcroft, fat-cat banker and, as it happened, the buyer for Toller's counterfeit plates. They had rescued a hysterical Kaylee, and Eric was happy to say at least one thing had gone right in this investigation, even if Toller had eluded them again.
    He hadn't known about Natalia and Horatio's meeting with Randy North, but Eric couldn't help feeling as though he should have been there to back his colleagues up. The patrol officers scheduled to meet them at the pier in case the deal went south had been detained by a multi-car pileup. By the time they arrived and called it in, North and Toller were long gone, Horatio was critically injured, and Natalia was nowhere in sight.
    Eric and Calleigh had leapt into their Hummer and driven at breakneck speed to the pier, arriving before the ambulance. Ryan and Walter followed. All held their breath, fearing the worst: they were too late, and Horatio was already gone. When he caught sight of his boss face down, helpless, unmoving, Eric's heart leapt into his throat. All the years they had known each other, first as friends, then colleagues, and finally brothers, all the memories, flashed before his eyes. The second Calleigh slowed the vehicle enough for him to jump out, he did, running towards his fallen comrade, heart pounding, lungs burning.
    The two patrol officers jogged up beside him. "We just got here and called it in, sir," the first one panted. "We haven't touched anything and there's no sign of Jack Toller."
    Too frantic to listen, Eric gingerly rolled Horatio onto his back. "H?" he called in panic. "Can you hear me?"
    Horatio's face was deathly pale, so much so that his freckles had all but disappeared. The lower half of his blue shirt was soaked in bright red blood. Eric was a CSI, not a doctor, but even he could tell that if medical assistance didn't arrive quickly, the man would die. He placed his head on his boss's chest, straining to find a heartbeat. It was faint and erratic, but at least he was still hanging on.
    "H, you listen to me," Eric growled, anger, frustration, and fear forming a lump in his throat. "You've got to stay with us, you understand? We can't lose you. I can't lose you." He had to bite his lip to keep from completely breaking down as he ordered one of the officers to take off his jacket and apply pressure to the wound.
    Just then, the three remaining CSI's ran up to him. Calleigh was already choking back sobs and Ryan's complexion had turned sheet-white.
    "Oh, man," Walter breathed, staring at his boss's limp form. "Eric, is he..."
    "He's hanging on - barely," Eric replied, still half in shock. The team heaved a collective sigh of relief. "But I don't know for how much longer. That ambulance better get here soon."
    "Where's Natalia?" Ryan interjected.
    In his focus on keeping Horatio alive, he had completely forgotten about the other CSI. "I-I don't know," he stammered.
    "What do you mean you don't know?" the younger man shouted. "She's not here?"
    "Look, man," Eric cried, his voice cracking, "The second Calleigh and I got here, I ran over to help H. I don't know where Natalia is!"
    "Walter, Ryan," the blonde CSI said urgently. "Search the perimeter. I doubt Randy or Toller are still around, but Natalia may be in danger. Eric, you stay here and keep an eye on H."
    No sooner than ten seconds after Calleigh had issued the order, Eric heard the cry. "She's in the water!"
    Ryan was standing on the edge of the pier. He waved his hands frantically, gesturing towards the ocean. "Eric - she's down there! She's in the water!"
    "Keep the pressure on!" Eric yelled at the patrol officer. Running to the other CSI's, he was met with a sight he knew would be seared into his soul forever. A battered yellow car was in the ocean, sinking fast. Someone was inside, banging on the trunk, screaming.
    "Natalia!" he cried, quickly peeling off his jacket and shoes.
    Ryan did the same. Just then, the car gave one finale gurgle and disappeared beneath the surface.
    "No!" Ryan yelled, jumping in without hesitation.
    "Go, Eric!" Calleigh cried, and the team's master scuba diver flew into the water.
    It was chilly and murky. Eric's eyes took a moment to adjust before he spotted the car. His partner was already swimming furiously towards it and pounding on the trunk. The two men struggled with the panel for a full minute before at last, mercifully, it opened. Eric wedged his arms inside and grabbed Natalia, dearly hoping they weren't too late.
    When they broke the surface, the first thing Eric heard was the wail of an approaching siren, followed by Calleigh's cry of relief. With Ryan's help, they managed to hoist Natalia's limp body up onto the pier.
    "She's not breathing!" Calleigh cried in a near panic. She immediately began chest compressions on her fallen colleague. "Come on, girl! Breathe, Natalia!"
    "Please," Ryan begged as he gasped for air. "Come back to us, Natalia. Please..."
    "Officer Delko?" He whirled around at the sound of his name, still breathing heavily from the vivid memory.
    "What is it?"
    "It's about Lieutenant Caine," the nurse said.
    Eric nearly ran towards her, eyes wide. "What's wrong? Please tell me he's not -"
    "No, it's nothing like that, dear," she reassured. "He's awake."
    "Oh..." Eric was lost for words as his heart tried to return to normal.
    "Would you like to see him?"
    "Of course! Where is he?"
    "In the ICU," she replied with a smile. "Right this way."
    He followed her, all the while saying a silent thanks to his personal God that his friend had pulled through. Of course, he wasn't completely out of the woods yet, but he knew Horatio was strong. And he'd made it this far.
    "Here you are, Officer," the nurse said, ushering Eric into the small room.
    "Thanks," he said.
    "I'll leave you two alone, but I'll be back soon to give the Lieutenant his medication." Then she left, quietly closing the door behind her.
    Eric approached the bed, glancing at the monitor beside where Horatio lay. His heart rate was steady, his breathing even. "H?" he said softly.
    The figure on the bed stirred.
    "Eric." Horatio's voice was weak, but recognizable.
    He sighed in relief. "Hey, H. How you feeling?"
    "I've... been better," Horatio croaked. "Eric?" he said, a bit louder.
    "Yeah?"
    "Natalia."
    "She's fine, H," he replied. "She's got a pretty nasty bump from where Randy hit her, but you know Nat - it'll take more than that to keep her out of the lab."
    He heard Horatio give a faint exhale. Looking at his boss, he saw tears forming in the older man's blue eyes. "H?"
    Horatio was silent for several moments, trying to get himself under control. Eric took his hand. "It's okay, H. I understand."
    He clasped Eric's hand tightly. "Thank God," he murmured, gratitude and relief rushing through him.
    As his eyes began to close, he heard Eric say, "You just rest, H. Rest."
    Soon, he drifted off into a peaceful sleep. He could rest now knowing that his team, his family, was safe.

7. GregNickRyanFan

I can imagine the new season actually going this way. I like how both Ryan and Eric jumped in to save Natalia. Glad she's okay.

8. fanilowchick

Healing Chapter III - He's A Fighter

After the trying events of the past day, every member of Horatio's team was drained, both physically and emotionally. In the space of twenty-four hours, a dangerous fugitive had eluded them twice, they had landed neck-deep in a massive counterfeiting operation, and an unhinged man had put two of their own in the hospital, and very nearly the morgue.
    It was only after a long protest that Natalia agreed to being examined by a doctor. She had insisted she was fine, that Horatio was the one they should be worrying about. At last, Calleigh had managed to talk her into getting checked out. She was found to have a mild concussion from the blow Randy North had dealt her, and had swallowed more than a bit of water thanks to her time in the trunk, but was otherwise in excellent physical condition.
    But her mental state was another matter entirely. The team knew she blamed herself for almost getting their boss killed. After all, she had asked Horatio to accompany her to the pier meeting. She should have known better. She should have been able to tell from the desperate, wild look in the man's eyes after the emergency custody hearing that he had gone over the edge. But Natalia hadn't trusted her instincts, her experience from all the years she'd been a CSI. She had truly believed Randy could change. It was a tough lesson, learned the hardest way. Natalia knew she would never forgive herself for placing Horatio in danger. She only hoped he could.
    "Knock, knock," came a familiar voice.
    Natalia jumped. "Eric!"
    The Cuban CSI entered the room with his usual casual grace. "Sorry to scare you. How're you doing, Nat?"
    She pulled the soft white sweater Calleigh had been kind enough to bring from her apartment closer to her. "The doctor said I have a mild concussion. I'll be back at the lab tomorrow."
    Eric frowned. "Maybe you should take some time off. This day has been rough for everybody, most of all you."
    Natalia shook her head. "The only thing that will make me feel better is catching Randy."
    "You're starting to sound like H," he grinned.
    She became instantly alert at the sound of her boss's name. "Eric – how is he?"
    To her surprise, Eric smiled. "He's gonna be okay. He's asleep right now, but he was awake and talking to me earlier. He lost a lot of blood, but you know H – he's a fighter."
    Natalia was silent for a moment as she absorbed the news. "That's wonderful. Thank you, Eric." She tried to fight the tears welling in her eyes, but it was a losing battle.
    "Hey, come here," Eric said softly, wrapping her in a gentle, comforting embrace. "He'll be okay. Trust me."
    "It's not that," she choked. "Eric – this is all my fault. I never should have led him to the pier. I almost got him killed."
    "It's not your fault," he reassured. "It's no one's fault. Do you think things would have been any different if it had been you and me?"
    "But –"
    "What's past is past," Eric said gently. "Just be thankful both of you made it out okay. Can you do that for me?"
    "I'll try," she said honestly.
    Eric smiled. "Good girl."
    "Can I see him?" Natalia needed to look at Horatio, to make sure he was all right. It wasn't that she didn't trust anyone else, but the last glimpse she'd caught of him before being loaded into the trunk was Horatio lying face down in a pool of blood. She needed to know he was okay.
    "Well, he was asleep last time I checked, but I'm sure he'll want to see you." Eric took her hand, carefully helping her up from the bed. "Come on. I'll walk you there."
    Horatio was lifted from a light, dreamless sleep by a soft voice calling his name. He stirred and after much effort, opened his eyes. A tall, olive-skinned beauty hovered above him, her lovely features twisted in worry.
    "Miss... Boa Vista," he rasped.
    "Horatio," she replied, relief washing over her face. "Are you all right?"
    "I'm... getting there," he croaked. "And you, ma'am?"
    She nearly laughed out loud. Even lying in a hospital bed, his body hooked up to a dozen different wires and sensors, Horatio was the consummate gentleman. "I'll be just fine, Horatio."
    "Good," he whispered hoarsely. "That's... good to know." Then his eyes closed once more, and Natalia knew he was out of strength, at least for now.
    She stayed at his beside for a few minutes, trying to regain her composure. Her senses had been on overload since arriving at the hospital, then waiting for Horatio to come out of surgery. She was both utterly exhausted and wired with a restless energy. She didn't want to go home, knowing sleep was out of the question.
    "See?" Eric's voice came from the doorway. "I told you he was fine."
    She nodded, unable to speak for fear her voice would break or worse, she'd burst into tears as she had earlier.
    "You okay?" he asked.
    When Natalia spoke at last, her voice was quiet and deadly serious. "Eric?"
    "Yeah?"
    "Let's get this son of a bitch."

9. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

furryfurbi--I like what I've read so far. :)

10. fanilowchick

Healing Chapter IV - Renee

Three full days had passed since the fateful meeting and Horatio's admittance to the hospital. He was grateful that Natalia had recovered excellently from her ordeal, and was already back in the lab, working with the rest of the team to track down Randy North. Unfortunately, the same couldn't be said of himself.
    Though his doctor assured him that he was making great progress, Horatio was already feeling restless and agitated. His lifelong hatred of hospitals was only further worsened by the fact that his energy was returning, bringing with it a strong desire to be back in the field. For most of the day, Horatio simply lay in his bed, his mind working too fast to let him fall asleep.
    Kyle hadn't been able to break away from his duties in Afghanistan long enough to return to Miami, but at least they had video chats via the internet. The young man had been frantic upon hearing that his father had been shot in the line of duty; it had taken Horatio quite a while to convince his son that he was going to be fine. Though seeing Kyle had lifted his spirits, there was no one else he could talk to aside from the kindly nurse, Jeannie. Loneliness, however, was nothing new to him.
    In the late afternoon of Monday, Horatio was lying in his bed, fidgeting. His doctor had begun to reduce the pain medication, meaning he would sleep less. The itch to leave the hospital despite his injury and do something – anything – was nearly overwhelming. Giving up on trying to merely close his eyes and relax, Horatio grabbed the remote control from the tray by his bed and turned on the television.
    Flipping through several channels, he ended up on CBS, where the six o'clock local news was starting. The first ten minutes of the broadcast were dull and monotonous, and he was about to turn off the TV when the camera shifted to a photo of a very familiar face. It was Toller.
    "The hunt continues for fugitive Jack Toller, an elusive criminal who has evaded capture by authorities across the country numerous times. Convicted on multiple homicide charges, Toller was one of five inmates who escaped from Miami West prison last fall."
    Horatio raised the volume, his attention now fully on the anchorwoman, a pretty Latina who couldn't have been a day over twenty-five.
    "After slipping through the hands of Miami-Dade police yet again, Toller continued his deadly crime spree, killing an innocent woman and stealing her car to evade authorities. He then shot another man to death and abducted a sixteen-year old girl, who was later rescued and reunited with her family," she continued. "The United States Secret Service has now joined in the nationwide hunt for this dangerous fugitive, whom they believe is also part of a complex scheme to manufacture and distribute counterfeit hundred-dollar bills. Jack Toller was last seen in Miami three days ago. We'll be back with more on this story, as well as details on the attempted murders of two Miami-Dade crime scene investigators, after this."
    Horatio muted the television as a commercial for Outback Steakhouse came on. He lay still for a few moments, lost in thought. Toller was still on the loose, and it was only a matter of time before another victim was discovered. The man would kill anyone who got in his way, Horatio knew. And once he found another buyer for his counterfeiting plates, Toller would be a rich man. He'd leave Florida and go where no one could ever find him.
    Why didn't he shot the bastard when he had the chance? As the plane came to a stop that day, Horatio had the perfect shot. But for some reason beyond his understanding, he simply didn't pull the trigger. Then Toller was gone. In the wind again.
    "It's my fault."
    "What's your fault?"
    A female voice startled Horatio out of his reverie. He didn't even realize he had been speaking out loud. Raising his eyes to the doorway, he was greeted with a most pleasant sight: Agent Renee Locklear. She had traded in her tank top and work boots for a gray pantsuit and a very becoming magenta blouse. Her gun and ID rested on her right hip. Though her look and manner oozed professionalism, she wore a friendly smile. The moment their eyes met, Horatio felt a wave of shyness wash over him. He quickly looked away.
    "Lieutenant Caine? Are you okay?" Her voice sounded genuinely concerned. She quickly crossed the small room and sat down in the chair beside his bed. Horatio stared at the floor, the walls, everywhere but her.
    "Agent Locklear..."
    "Renee, please," she said. "I'm glad to see you're feeling better. Any word on when you'll be able to get back to work?"
    Horatio's eyes finally settled on a flower arrangement Calleigh had brought him the previous day. He could feel his heart pounding in his chest. Renee made him nervous; not in a tense, anxious way, but in more of a shy, awkward way. He hadn't felt this way in years, not since... Horatio couldn't bring himself to finish the thought.
    "I'm not sure yet," he replied. "My doctor said I might be released later this week, but I still have to go through physical and psychological evaluations before I can go back out into the field."
    Renee grimaced. "Yeah, that's tough. I was shot a couple years ago, when I was still working in D.C. They really put you through the ringer. As if recovering from a bullet wound wasn't hard enough, right?"
    "Right," Horatio said flatly, suddenly aware of how boring a conversational partner he sounded. "I've never been shot before," he offered.
    "How long have you been in uniform?"
    "Twenty-nine years. Thirteen in New York and sixteen here in Miami."
    "Jesus!" she spluttered, then quickly collected herself. "Sorry, I didn't know - I wouldn't have thought - you look much younger."
    Unable to speak, Horatio instead took a sip of his water, hoping she wouldn't notice how much his hand shook as he held the glass. What this woman did to him! It was embarrassing. "Ag, er, Renee?"
    "Yes, Lieutenant?"
    "Why did you come to see me?"
    An almost guilty look crossed her face. "Oh, um, I just wanted to thank you, for your help in tracking down those plates. I know Toller is still out there with two more, but putting Ashcroft behind bars blew this operation out of the water. We couldn't have done it without you."
    Horatio felt heat rise to his face. Even though it was just common courtesy from one professional to another, the way she said it made it all the more special. He shook his head. "My team is the one you should be thanking, not me. They were responsible for the recovery of the plates and Ashcroft's arrest."
    "Listen, Lieutenant," she said with surprising firmness, "Your man, uh... Walter? He told me you couldn't take a compliment and you'd probably say something exactly like that, but I wanted to tell you anyway, because it's true."
    "Renee, I didn't -"
    "Just say you're welcome."
    Horatio gazed down at the floor, sure his cheeks now matched his hair. "You're welcome," he murmured. "And... Renee?"
    "What?"
    He offered her a tiny, lopsided smile. "Call me Horatio."
    Just then, her cell phone rang. "Ugh," she said, looking at the number on the screen. "I've gotta go."
    "I'm sorry to hear that," he said sincerely. "I was enjoying your company. It's pretty dull here otherwise."
    Her face lit up. "Well then, let me..." She fished around in her purse, pulling out a small piece of paper and a pen. Scribbling something on it, she then placed the paper in his hand. "You get plenty of rest. And don't worry about those evaluations. You'll ace them, I know it."
    "Thanks," he said shyly.
    She winked at him. "You're welcome... Horatio."
    After she had gone, Horatio unfolded his hand and looked at the note. 555-9817, it read. He turned it over. Anytime your feeling lonely.
    He stared at the paper for a long time, rereading the words over and over.
    Anytime your feeling lonely.
    Anytime.

Author's Note: I have no idea how many years Horatio has been a policeman. I came up with 29 because there was nothing ever said about him going to college, so my guess is he enlisted in the NYPD early in his life. If anyone knows better, feel free to let me know

11. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

I'm not sure how many years Horatio's been in law enforcement, but 29 years would seem like a good guesstimate to me.

furryfurbi--thank you for this next chapter. Caruso plays the shy, quiet type quite well, so I love how you described Horatio in this part. Keep up the excellent tale. :)

12. fanilowchick

Healing Chapter V - Reflection

Horatio sat in his wheelchair, patiently waiting. It was Friday; he had been in the hospital a full week. Both Jeannie and his doctor had told him he'd recovered incredibly fast given his age and the amount of blood he'd lost, and that he was extremely lucky to be alive. If Eric had arrived only a few minutes later... He didn't want to think about it, but knew that sooner or later, the memories of that day would have to be confronted. If Eric had arrived only a few minutes later, both he and Natalia would have been dead. It was a simple truth. If only it were that easy to accept, he thought.
    He knew Natalia blamed himself, despite his assurance that she had no way of knowing the meeting was a setup. It was his own fault, if anything. He was the leader, the one who was supposed to protect his team - his family. He had failed, and Natalia had nearly paid for it with her life. It wasn't the only time he had failed his team. The first time, he'd lost Tim Speedle, a tragedy that still kept him awake at night, raining a storm of guilt onto himself and asking the heavens why he couldn't have taken the bullet in the young man's place. He'd also seen Jesse Cardoza slip away from him, the unwilling victim of a madman's rage.
    But the pain, the grief of every other loss in his life, all of it seemed merely a shadow in comparison how he'd felt after losing Marisol. She was an angel who brightened his world, snatched up by Death far too soon. The passing of time changed nothing, nor did it console him - six years after he'd held Marisol's hand as she took her last breath, there was no sign of healing yet. He hid his emotions well for the sake of his colleagues and the grieving siblings, parents, and spouses he met on a daily basis, but he was still struggling and fighting the pain every day.
    Why did his thoughts always end up back on that same old road? Really, Horatio should have been in good spirits; he was finally free to go home, and Natalia had walked away from a life-threatening ordeal with little more than a scratch. Also on his mind was Renee. She hadn't visited him since Monday, when she had left him with her number and a considerable amount of butterflies in his stomach. He'd almost called her, twice, but lost the nerve and ended up folding the little paper back up. He always kept it close, though.
    Eric and Calleigh, who was temporarily supervisor, kept him in the loop on all the latest happenings at the lab. They visited every day, and Calleigh told him how much the team missed him. "I don't know how you do it, Horatio," she had said. "I've been in charge a week and already I'm exhausted. I can't wait until you come back."
    They had all smiled, but Horatio knew he had quite a ways to go before he could return to active duty. His physical recovery was moving along well. In a few days, he would undergo a psychological evaluation per IAB's request. Then it would be determined whether or not he was mentally fit to work.
    He sighed, knowing that even if he passed the psych tests, he would still be mandated to attend therapy sessions, as Rick Stetler had tried to persuade him to do following Speedle's death. He understood that IAB was only doing its job, but he hated lying on that musty shrink-office phony-leather couch, while a complete stranger encouraged him to talk about his feelings. Horatio was not good at feelings. After any traumatic event on the job or in his personal life, the only therapy he wanted was putting criminals away - for good.
    Not so they could escape to continue their killing sprees! He was frustrated as hell; he'd had that bastard Toller in his sights, and he'd let him slip away. Horatio slammed his hand down on the wheelchair arm angrily.
    "Damn it!" he muttered.
    "Whoa, calm down, H," Eric said, laughing as he walked toward his boss. "We'll get you out of here in just a minute."
    "Eric," he said, quickly regaining his composure, "Thanks for being here."
    "Hey, where else would I be?" he replied. Then his expression sombered. "Man, you look tired, H. I bet you can't wait to go home."
    Horatio sighed. "I am tired, brother. It's been a long week."
    Eric smiled and grasped the handles of the wheelchair. "Then let's get you out of here."
    The younger man pushed his boss through the front doors of the hospital he had called home for the past week. As they emerged into the bright Miami sunlight, Horatio breathed an inward sigh of relief, thankful beyond words that Randy North's bullet had missed its mark.
    Calleigh was waiting in the parking lot. It had been Eric's suggestion to pick Horatio up in his car, figuring the low-slung Pontiac would be easier for their boss to climb into than the lab vehicles.
    She greeted him with a smile and kissed his cheek. "Hey, H. How are you feeling?"
    "I'm okay," he replied. "A bit better, every day."
    Genuine relief and concern crossed her face. "Thank God," she murmured. "For a second there, I thought we'd lost you. I don't know what I would have done, Horatio."
    He pulled her down to his arms and gave her a gentle hug. "Thank you, Calleigh," he whispered. "Thank you for being there for me. You saved my life."
    "It was Eric -" she protested.
    "No," he said. "All of you saved my life. Our team." He paused and took a deep breath. "Our family."
    Tears clouding her green eyes, Calleigh squeezed him tightly. "I'm so glad you're still here." Then she straightened up. "Because life in Miami would be pretty boring without you."
    Eric grinned, and Horatio allowed a reserved half-smile to creep across his face.
    "You ready, H?" the younger man asked.
    He nodded. "Let's go."
    Horatio's condominium was quiet and dark aside from the single light burning in the living room. Calleigh and Eric had dropped him off earlier that afternoon, and after much assurance that he would be fine by himself, he was alone at last in the comfort of his own home. He enjoyed their company, but since the shooting, he hadn't yet had a chance to reflect on what had happened. The condo was right on a beach that was secluded, except on the weekends, when the young crowd came to frolick in the sand and sun. Few residents of the community took advantage of the beautiful strip of shoreline, himself included. He just never seemed to be able to find the time anymore.
    Horatio could hear the gentle lapping of the waves on the sand, a sound that never ceased to put him at ease. Thoroughly exhausted, he let his head fall back onto the armrest of the couch on which he lay and closed his eyes.
    Through the fog of his pain-clouded vision, Horatio could hear beeping, followed by the crash of metal against metal. Voices shouted in urgent tones, but he couldn't distinguish any words. He blinked several times, trying to focus on the scene unfolding around him. For some reason, he was lying down, gazing at a white ceiling with fluorescent lights, the flickering, eye-irritating kind found in department stores or doctors' offices. Three men and a woman were standing over him, gazing down at him with concerned expressions.
    Suddenly, Horatio's hearing returned with startling clarity.
    "What do we have?" the woman asked.
    "Caucasian male, age fifty-five, single gunshot wound to the abdomen," the youngest man replied. It flashed briefly across Horatio's mind that he looked Middle Eastern, probably Indian.
    "He's lost a hell of a lot of blood," another man said. "He's barely hanging on."
    The young one chimed in, "It was a through-and-through. The bullet isn't in him."
    "It's already done its damage," the second male voice said. "Probably tore through the kidney."
    The woman, who was obviously in charge, began shouting orders to the others."Clear a path! We need to get him into the OR immediately!"
    "Get him in here," an unfamiliar voice said.
    Horatio felt the gurney turn, then several pairs of strong arms lifted him upward.
    "My God." The voice belonged to a balding man, probably about sixty, with grey hair and a bushy mustache.
    He could hear the woman again. "What is it, doctor?"
    "Don't you know who this is?"
    "No."
    "This is Lieutenant Horatio Caine!" the surgeon snapped. "Everybody clear out. He takes priority. I'll handle this."
    The beeps became louder and more erratic as Horatio's vision began to blur again.
    "We're losing him!" the woman cried.
    "We've got to stop this bleeding!"
    "He's going into cardiac arrest!"
    "Get me the paddles, now!" the surgeon yelled.
    "Charging 300."
    "Clear!"
    Horatio's body jerked upwards, seemingly by its own volition, and he felt as though a ton of bricks had just landed on his chest.
    "No response," a man said.
    "Again!" the surgeon cried.
    "Clear!"
    Another massive jolt rocked him. He opened his mouth to groan, but no sound came out. He tried to move his limbs, but they were paralyzed.
    "Nothing, doctor."
    "Charge 360!" he ordered. "Come on, Lieutenant!"
    "Clear!"
    "Nothing. He's flatlined."
    "Again!"
    "You've got to fight, Lieutenant! Come on!"
    Just before Horatio sank into darkness, he heard a familiar voice.
    "Stay with us, H!"
    "Clear!"
    "Come back to us!" Eric screamed. "Don't let go!"
    Ding-dong!
    Horatio jerked upright with a cry of surprise. "Whatinthe -"
    Struggling to clear his mind, he remembered that he was home, lying on his living room sofa.
    Ding-dong!
    He rose gingerly, mindful of the wound in his abdomen, and walked to the front door. Not bothering to look through the peephole at the identity of his caller, he opened the door.
    And got the shock of his life.

13. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

I hope this is a good shock and not a bad one. Love it, furryfurbi! :)

14. fanilowchick

Healing Chapter VI - Not-So-Small Talk

"Hi, Horatio."
    Unable to hide his surprise at seeing the beautiful agent on his doorstep, he blurted, "Renee! What are you doing here?"
    Disappointment crossed her face. "Is this a bad time?"
    "No, no, of course not," he replied, quickly backtracking. "Will - uh - would you like to come in?"
    "Sure."
    Horatio clumsily backed into the living room, almost tripping over his own feet as she entered.
    "Wow," Renee breathed, surveying the spacious condo.
    He was almost afraid to ask, "Uh... is that a good wow or a bad wow?"
    "Oh, it's a good wow," she replied quickly. "Definitely a good wow. You've got a lovely place."
    "Thank you," Horatio said softly, his eyes downcast.
    Horatio felt exactly the same as he had when Renee visited him in the hospital; palms clammy, breathing rapid, heart threatening to pound itself right out of his ribcage. God, it seemed like forever since he'd experienced this frustrating schoolboy shyness. The last woman who'd made him so superbly uncomfortable was Marisol.
    "Horatio?" Renee's voice startled him back to reality.
    "Oh - yes?"
    "Are you okay?
    "Fine," he replied. "Sorry about that. I - I'm still pretty tired."
    She nodded. "I see. Maybe I should go."
    As she turned away, Horatio instinctively reached out and grasped her wrist, surprising them both.
    "Don't," he murmured. "I don't want you to leave."
    Renee looked uncertain. "All right," she said finally. "I'll stay for a while. But then you need to sleep to get your strength back for those evaluations."
    Horatio offered her a tiny smile. "Yes, ma'am."
    Nine o'clock found the pair on the living room sofa, chatting away after nearly two hours of easy conversation. To his great relief, Horatio had finally been able to relax somewhat. Renee had proved to be not only a pleasant companion but also an intelligent one, more than capable of matching his knowledge in everything from criminal law statutes to their shared love of Miami.
    "It's so amazing here," she sighed. "There's no other place like it."
    "Definitely," he concurred. "How long have you been in Miami?"
    "Well, I moved here almost two years ago, but since I've been working undercover trying to find those plates, I've hardly spent any time at my place. It's nowhere near as nice as yours, though."
    "Yes, it's comfortable. I always feel at peace here."
    "And you've practically got your own beach!" Renee gestured toward the ocean, now obscured by the darkness. "That's incredible. I lived in D.C. for eight years, so this is pretty much paradise." She sighed again. "I just love the setting. It's so romantic."
    Horatio swallowed hard, feeling those old butterflies beginning to rise once more.
    Renee's eyes took on a distant look. "I bet women love it down here, huh? The ocean... the sand."
    "I wouldn't be too sure about that."
    "One of my fantasies has always been to do it on the beach." She looked straight at him. "Have you ever?"
    He could feel the heat rise to his face, knowing his cheeks now probably matched his hair. "Have - I - what?" he spluttered, unable to even finish the statement.
    She grinned. "Sorry. I forgot you were shy."
    "No, no," Horatio protested. "I'm not shy, I just -"
    "You're shy!" Renee said. "Look at you blushing."
    He put his head down in utter humiliation as she began to laugh.
    "No," she gasped through her chuckles. "Don't be embarrassed. You're adorable." Finally getting herself under control, she said, "I wasn't making fun of you, Horatio."
    "I know," he replied, a smile forming on his own face. "I do need to loosen up, don't I?"
    "Yeah," she admitted. "But don't change too much. You're great."
    He shook his head. "You don't even know me."
    "I know you better than you think I do, Horatio."
    The pair lapsed into an awkward silence before Renee asked, "So, do you have a family?"
    "I have a son. He's twenty."
    "Nice," she said. "Does he live here in Miami?"
    "Not at present." He paused. "He's in the army, serving a tour of duty in Afghanistan."
    "Brave kid. Like his father."
    "He is a great kid. He's - he's everything to me."
    "No wife?" Renee asked.
    Horatio instantly stiffened. "I was married once, to an amazing lady. She passed away six years ago."
    A shadow seemed to cross her face. "Horatio... I'm sorry."
    "So am I," he whispered. "So am I."
    Renee leaned forward and wrapped her arms around him. Instinctively, Horatio tensed.
    "It's okay," she murmured into his shoulder.
    He relaxed then, knowing that at least for the moment, he had found a safe place.

15. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

Oh this is so lovely. Didn't expect myself reading something about H (I'm usually all about Ryan), but this one's just funny, the last chapter especially.
    Lol, I can now imagine H blushing :lol:
    Btw this is pretty much I'm expecting to see as the season opener (on H side). And close to what I've imagined. But I actually haven't seen the episode officially (on tv), just online.