Torchwood

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Clarrisani, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Meatball42

Meatball42 Police Officer

I think I'm going to watch it out of twisted curiosity... I want to see what it'll be like without him; see how they mourn.
    I don't think they'll make the duck-sounding ship canon, especially with the more committed way they portrayed Gwen/Rhys in CoE. If they do, they'll get more outcry than if the Doctor shacked up with Owen.

2. love_fan

love_fan CSI Level One

See, I'm not even sure they'll make a big deal out of mourning for Ianto. They'll probably skip that part and jump right back in.

I'll probably going to watch it. I love Jack too much not to. But should they even hint at Gwen/Jack I'm gone!!!

3. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

So a new Torchwood coming called Torchwood: Miracle Day

Torchwood: Miracle Day may seriously blow your freaking mind.

For starters, Torchwood is a science-fiction series that has been airing exclusively in Britain since 2006, and the initial premise of it is already kooky enough: it stars the immortal bisexual ex-con man from Doctor Who (played by John Barrowman) and his alien hunting cohorts. They've had a different issue to tackle each season, but this one may be the biggest of all.

Show creator Russell T. Davies explains: "It’s as simple as this, that one day on Earth no one dies. Not a single person on Earth dies. The next day no one dies. The next day no one dies and on and on and on. Now, the sixth day, the old stay old and keep getting older. The dying keep dying, but no one quite dies. The possibility of death ceases to exist. Great news for some people, but globally — and that’s what the whole show is about. Actually, it’s an instant overnight population boom where, suddenly, the Earth relies on people dying. That’s how the whole system works: the food, the room, the temperature. So, suddenly, you’ve got a crisis affecting everyone on the planet, and that’s where the Torchwood team... [comes] in."

Torchwood: Miracle Day is set to premiere on Starz this coming July, but has already been making a huge buzz at this year's Television Critics Association tour. The premise for this show is epic, in the same vein as shows like LOST, The Event, and V, but while I've loved LOST, both The Event and V have failed to keep my interest, and in general are struggling to attract viewers. But a world where no one dies? At first, that sounds incredible, but it will be interesting to see how the series will play out when the world becomes overpopulated, and people have to die

Here's the link if you want to see.

I'll probably watch :D, but I wish the original team was still in tact, especially Ianto :D

Just thought I'd pass it along. :)

4. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Here's more news on Torchwood. If you ever saw 'Six Feet Under' then you will know this actress.

She'll always be Six Feet Under's disaffected little sister Claire Fisher to me, but the flame-haired actress Lauren Ambrose has signed on to Torchwood: Miracle Day, a new series to premiere on Starz this summer. Aside a bit of theater here and there, Ambrose has been off the radar for years. It'll be nice to see her come back as Jilly Kitzinger, a tough PR maven who is assigned, as the synopses say ambiguously, "the most important client of her career."

Ambrose will appear alongside Mekhi Pfifer and Bill Pullman in seven of the 10 episodes of Torchwood, a dystopian drama that, at the very least, sounds pretty interesting. The premise is simple: people stop dying. Everybody on Earth ceases to die. This causes bad things to happen that involve food shortage and heat shortage, and the Torchwood team is assembled to fix said things. For the record, I'm unclear on how those things could be fixed except for killing people. But I'm willing to suspend my disbelief for a premise this epic.

Starz is quickly establishing itself as a bastion of original programming (Party Down!), right up there with HBO and Showtime. The premise of Torchwood is appealingly dark and, as my colleage Terron pointed out, the subject matter bears a resemblance to V and LOST. Its British predecessor has been airing since 2006, marking yet another acquisition from the UK this season along with Showtime's Shameless.

Anyway, I can't wait to see Claire Fisher come into her own (again). If only she could convince former co-star Jeremy Sisto to come on board, that'd be like my dream.

5. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Is anyone going to watch this new Torchwood? I might check it out, though I'm still pissed about Ianto. :(

6. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

For those of us that are Canadian Torchwood fans, Space will be airing the new series starting Saturday July 9 at 9pm Eastern.

7. quaderas1

quaderas1 Victim

[SPAM]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2011
  8. Yoshi

Yoshi Basement Moderator Moderator

A short piece on the return of Torchwood to our screens, well, Canadian and US screens tonight.

Not that I'm jealous you'll see it first of course, oh no [​IMG]

:D

I hope too that they don't skim over Ianto's death. I'm still not sure I've forgiven them for that yet.

9. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I've been enjoying the show so far :)

Apparently the scene with Jack and Brad has been slightly edited for the UK audiences :eek: I don't know whether we got the UK version or the US version last night but those who doubted the show would tone down Jack being gay don't have to worry :)

John Barrowman on Torchwood's sex scene

10. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

You know, I have no problem with sex scenes (I love True Blood and Game of Thrones, and that's par for the course on those shows) but I did actually find it gratuitous on Torchwood. It seemed to me a way to make an otherwise pretty ho hum story have a little more zing. I was really hoping for another riveting storyline like Children of Earth, but so far I've been distractedly watching this one.

11. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

I didnt realize it started airing until a few days ago....I watched the 3 epsiodes last night and I really dont know what to think. I almost think they would have been better writing this as a spinoff...it has virtually no Torchwood feel to it. I found it rather blah....I will likely watch the rest but its just really not the same. :(

12. luvspeed

luvspeed Police Officer

i didn't like it at all. i only watched one episode and i was done. i miss Ianto

13. love_fan

love_fan CSI Level One

Couldn't agree more with you!

I was only able to watch the first three or so episode than I had to stop because it was just so bad. Let's face it, it wasn't Torchwood. And I really didn't like the characters at all and the story was way to "dull" to fill ten episodes.

And of course, I miss Ianto

14. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

So you keep hearing about shows that have critics raving and cult fans flocking. But you haven't been able to sit down and sample what inspires the superlatives.

Now's your chance. The networks' new fall-season shows don't start arriving until Monday (or accelerating until a week later). That makes this weekend the perfect time to dive into these delights.

Torchwood (BBC America, starting Friday night at 11) This is one seriously twisted ride -- and a seriously smart one. Torchwood is the name of a top-secret crew dedicated to saving the planet from random galactic threats. Each of their four adult TV seasons is very different, made clear when three pop up over 24 hours, starting tonight with overnight's largely stand-alone episodes of Season 2 (11 p.m.-noon). Get to know hunky omnisexual Captain Jack (John Barrowman), funky fighter Gwen (Eve Myles) and their quirky colleagues.

The most compelling entry unreels Saturday. Children of Earth (noon-5 p.m.) is the Season 3 miniseries chiller in which an alien force seizes control of the globe's tots, forcing parents/governments to make horrific choices to save mankind. The doings, which could have gone kooky, are instead rivetingly real, rocketing this "Doctor Who" spinoff from playful adventure into the realm of metaphysics and more. "Children of Earth" also spotlights its progenitor's next Doctor, Peter Capaldi, guesting as a government official dealing firsthand with the horror.

After that, BBC America starts basic cable's first weekly run of ex-Starz Season 4: Torchwood: Miracle Day (Saturday 9 p.m.), with Bill Pullman, Lauren Ambrose and Mekhi Phifer. No one on Earth can die anymore, which becomes tragic. "Torchwood" has nothing if not ambitious. (More at bbcamerica.com)

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment...eres-1.6054803