Season 8 Spoiler Discussion - There's Nothing You Can't Do In New York

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by vegaslights, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UKFAN

UKFAN Dead on Arrival

Re: Season 8 Spoiler Discussion - There's Nothing You Can't Do In New

I don't believe I have read anywhere that the reason CSI NY was brought back was because of Sela Ward, it is more likely because Gary Sinise had signed on for one more season.

I never suggested in my comments that they bring Stella/Melina back, but it would have been nice for her to be mentioned during season 7 and not just be forgotten like an old sock. However, it would be good to see Stella/Melina again in Season 8, because fans ALSO LIKED the character and actress and miss her from the programme.

Perhaps an introduction of a new member of cast may bring a much needed sparkle to the show that it so badly lacks. Someone who brings tension into the happy CSINY family (which they failed to do with the Jo character - it was too cosy for comfort and very unrealistic and in some cases the interaction between Jo and some of the cast were very force).

2. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I agree about Mac and Jo, they certainly seem to be much more on a 'equal' level professionally than Mac and Stella were, and I think that creates a certain closeness personally, in a way that is very different to the relationship between Mac and Stella. Jo seems to have a more subtle way of getting Mac to open up , and she's more chilled than Stella ever was, which I think is good for Mac and which again makes their relationship/chemistry very different to his and Stella's.

I really hope we get to see Mac and Jo's relationship and chemstry develop more in s8 (and I don't mean in a shippy way), ideally via there being more two-case episodes and Mac and Jo working a case/processing a scene/interrogating suspects together.

3. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Hence the "IMO." No one has said that the press or PTB or anyone else is giving Sela/Jo sole credit for an 8th season. Although, I definitely believe it played a part. Gary was never on the fence about returning. He always wanted to come back but the decision to save it went down to the wire. Part of that could very well be because some fans saw the show as being revitalized by bringing in a new character.

Many believe the introduction of Jo brought the "sparkle" that NY needed. I see no reason to bring in another new character when it is obvious NY is in the final stages of its run. Just because everyone liked and got along with Stella doesn't mean it was unrealistic for them to embrace and respect Jo when she joined the team.

In fact, IMO, it would've been completely unrealistic to have tension between the new team member and the rest of the team just because she was new. People have co-workers leave and get new co-workers to replace them all the time and it usually doesn't lead to a bad relationship with the replacement.

I think a lot of the SMACked/Stella fans who are bitter about Melina CHOSING to leave think that their anger needs to be reflected on screen and that is just not the case. I also think that some people who want Stella to come back or be mentioned in S8 just fail to accept that the actress wanted out and didn't want to come back.

It's not TPTB's fault that Melina wouldn't return to the show. That decision is on Melina. TPTB are not obligated to keep bringing up her character after she left. In fact, I personally think it just detracts from the show to keep bringing up a character who is no longer there. The character and actress have moved on and the show needs to move on too.

4. nel2h

nel2h CSI Level One

I also think the show must go on. We should not look back. :lol:

5. Rizzoli

Rizzoli Lab Technician

Amen to that.

I don't believe Sela is solely to thank for CSI:NY having an Eighth Year, however without her, I think the show would have continued to have more boring interaction and storylines, there are only so many stories you can do about a set number of people without it needing a kick-start again.

In the same respect, if EVERY cast member left, and Sela and new guys were brought in, the show would've been cancelled too. So it's not Sela, but the addition of Sela to a group of already strong players, and that's why, IMO, it got an eighth year, If Melina would've stayed, it wouldn't have got the kick, it would've got more boring, and it honestly, I think 7x22 would've been the series finale.

6. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I also think it's good to look back now and then...it's okay to move forward and still bring up departed characters like Aiden and Stella. I don't spend a lot of time thinking about Stella coming back, because Melina decided to move on, but there's still no reason Stella can't be mentioned.

I never saw a sibling-type thing with Mac and Stella, I don't agree with the 'incest' comment.

My shipper self would also love to see him go off with Stella, but I'm also a fan of letting fans draw their own conclusions and constructing an ending that's somewhat open-ended...it's the best way to please everyone.

7. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

I'm mulling, but not saying ;).

It would be bold to declare that this will "definitely" be NY's final season, but it'd likely raise fewer eyebrows than stating it will definitely be back :p. I think many are just taking into account that the whole franchise is aging, that all the CSI shows have been moved from long time slots in the schedule, and that CBS reserved the right to give full consideration to their development slate prior to indicating to at least NY any clue about it's future. I think a general pendulum shift is/has been underway with a variety of series that have been on for a long time.

There are shows on every network that are approaching similar territory, re aging, budgets, & impending transitions, but other networks don't seem to have he same breath of options as CBS does, on some levels. Until there are truly apparent successors, and while series continue to earn a return within the US and abroad, older shows may continue to stick around.

Call it odds & hedging bets :p. No one knows. Not even the ppl who know :lol:. A lot can happen in the teevee landscape in a year. Ya never can tell.

Lol. I'd love to have hope, but even my glass half full tendencies are colored by apparent trends of the business, not to mention a hard pragmatic streak :lol:.

And aww, noooo, JoooooOOoOo :p. Talk about being pessimistic (or I suppose optimistic, depending; things do seem a tad polarized here at the moment, which is unfortunate. People will be hawking "team tee shirts" soon, I can bloody well feel it :p. Meh. Ya can't plz all the ppl all the time :lol:).

As for a ninth, I'd be for it, if S8 goes well. Again, ya never know, but in playing those odds, the earlier hmms on network programming do take on increasing momentum the longer a show goes on.

I'm just going to enjoy each season as best as what material they give us will allow :lol:.

I was happy to hear NY got an 8th season, because I think there was new energy and possibilities, and I think there is a lot the show could yet explore. As for SW, S7 showed me enough that I'm glad she'll be part of S8.

A general yay to folk willing to give Jo a fair go as a character in her own right, btw.

I wouldn't expect spoilers for a few weeks. I believe VegasLights mentioned a ways back that producers will only recently be back to work by now and filming won't start for a bit.

Not misinterpreting. On da nose :p. Precisely the implication Erik has made in earlier posts. Not an entirely seamless allusion, but eh :lol:. A pejorative intent is pretty clear.

Seems there's a not-so-secret love to hate for Jo, and perhaps also punctuation & formatting :p. I shrug. To each their own.

Agree about life, & S7 vs the past few.

Haven't come across anything about 3 yrs. That said, a contract structured around the possibility of more than one season would not be unusual (but nor does it indicate the intent of a network regarding a show, I'd guess that's more typically about securing availability).

I think that Gary and Melina had a fun dynamic between their characters as long-time friends and partners, but I personally did not read their interaction as being layered over simmering romantic tension at all. Nothing jumped or hit me anyways :lol::p.

Their interaction is also not something I think the show missed. I think Jo's arrival and her impact on the team have been equally engaging.

The past roster was not forgotten. There were nods made, both to Stella and Aiden. But why should that sort of thing be allotted scripted airtime on a regular basis, when the point is that the show, the characters, their realm, continue to evolve. I just don't want it to feel gratuitous.

I think the producers wrapped up S7 well, given it could have been the last. Each present character got a moment, after those earlier small nods to the others. As it should've been.

YMMV.

I'd be skeptical of someone telling me they'd managed to conclusively discern, from all the surrounding context of each broadcast, a singular correlation between ratings and one cast member.

[The following purely hypothetical caveats do spring to mind: were a show titled, for the sake of argument, House, Castle, or Bones, and were a hypothetically departing actor one playing a character named after a residential architectural dwelling, medieval feudal fortress, or osseous tissue, then yah, I could see there might be a few Issues :p. Okay, well, perhaps House isn't so hypothetical. (A show like Grey's feels a little different).

As for 2.5 Men; Sheen undeniably made his mark :lol:, but it is the spectacle surrounding the show that will be an additional factor in the potential numbers Kutcher as a successor draws].

What, did people truly expect to lay on Sela Ward the pressure or responsibility of elevating the ratings of a show moving from decent Wed prime time real estate to stereotypically hardscrabble Fridays? Really...?

...:lol:. Right. I'm sure that was in her contract :p.

Did CM expect Joe Mantegna to elevate the ratings, or to help transition a new character into an established ensemble? Ditto NCIS with Cote de Pablo when Sasha Alexander departed? Mebbe she did; NCIS is flying these days; and that is of course singularly attributable to her alone :p. Did Vegas expect LF to increase viewership or to help the show maintain an even keel when WP bid adieu? etc

It's a rather convenient tomato to lob :lol:.

It takes hundreds of people to make a show, be it a good one or bad one. The flip side might be to try and infer that MK didn't do enough to improve ratings on Wednesdays, so that she was a significant part of why NY moved to a Friday slot :p.

SW had the stones to join a show three days before shooting on a doubled up two-fer of a production schedule after another actor left. Ya don't like SW and don't see a sparkle or interest in what she and NY did with Jo, dandy. But really. Ratings arguments often seem exceptionally fluid in all that they're used to try and substantiate in tv debates :lol:.

Curious, as this seems stated from a default romantic relationship standpoint. Not where I tend to stand. Not what I think NY is about.

(If it was a comment intended to be focused on professional hierarchical structures and typical gender and age divisions, then I've perhaps misunderstood).

Chemistry is one thing, and even !Tension is fine, but romantic possibilities are not the main structure or focus for me in a show like this, and age has little to do with how I regard the characters separate from any other attributes and traits, unless what I perceive contrasts grievously with what I'm told. (Eg. Lindsay is in her thirties and favors cardigans thieved from Danny's closet - wait she's rly in her twenties and has dreadlocks? I dunno, man... And Stella is not fortyish but only in her early thirties and favors a straight pixie? No I coulda sworn... You sure, ptb? Danny's from a family of cops, anyone of the rank of Deputy Chief Inspector or higher is never to be trusted, and Lucy is in pre-med? Whut? No, ...I guess that makes sense, If it's a cross-over with Fringe...:p).

All I was hoping for was a solid character written and performed with enough individuality, weight, and depth to be a good counterpoint to Mac as co-leader of the team. Jo is that.

As for SW, CBS wanted her on cop teevee before NY, given that they wanted her for Miami. I guess timing is everything, and age somewhat incidental :p.

In terms of hierarchy, I'm not surprised that all 3 shows had male characters at the top, but when Grissom left, with Catherine second in command, it would have been hard to convince me that she should not have been promoted to head the Vegas unit, unless being overlooked for such was going to be written as a deliberate arc. I think it's great that Stella was written off to head her own labs; NY didn't hafta give her even that much as a story.

I don't know why NY plied its quirky calculations to redetermine that Stella was younger than one might believe. (I recall one comment posted at the time wondering if perhaps it may have been in an effort to make her one-nite stand with Adam somehow more palatable. Dang :lol:). Age wasn't the issue for me with Stella/Adam; that it came largely out of left field and was really minimally addressed were puzzling aspects of bothering to go there in the first place.

I've had a tendency to view (most) characters as being of an age similar to whomever is portraying them. The casting is also such that most seem of reasonable experience and time-in to be at the respective professional stations they hold and fitting the backstories established. As for Mac's non-triangle; I had also read both Peyton & Aubrey as fortyish, and reasonable to their professional stations. Didn't have an issue with Mac seeing either one.

From what little I've read from Sela Ward in interviews and such, she's also quite forthright in speaking about age and expectations and social/cultural pressures, especially for women, and I'm glad NY didn't try to write Jo as younger in the way they retro-fit Stella :lol:

I don't see how character age and preference need necessarily be tied at all. Not even from a non-default romantic standpoint :p.

...because the producers didn't think hard about the show after MK left, while they were having to re-write half a dozen early scripts and devising a new direction for a new team? :p

As for discontent, I would hafta guess that they'd be well accustomed to that by now :lol:.

Agree. Mostly I liked that S7 was a change, and better for it.

I like Stella, and I like Jo. Stella's gone, Jo's here. Why should I not prefer for Jo or the others to get material, rather than look for ways for NY to mention or bring Stella back at the expense of those MK left behind, so to speak?

I don't mind a nod here or there, but I don't see the need to create a mentions or an appearance of Stella for the sake of it. Let it derive from a case where the team still gets focus, if at all. There are six seasons of dvds to partake of Stella's legacy. I'd prefer NY let the current roster have their time.

S7 introduced and integrated a new leading character pretty well. Why cut the legs out from under that by way of something I have to observe increasingly seems to have some sort of air of token and unnecessary appeasement. Had MK wanted to remain on the show as Stella, she could have. She didn't.

Someone whom Mac would have an aversion to as opposed to someone he likes and gets along with? :p

I think SW qualifies as NY having successfully introduced some new cast member and sparkle and tension. I guess we'll just hafta agree to disagree :).

Some of Jo's early interaction was a bit laden, I agree, but not cozy. I also think that Jo is enough her own character not to be written soley as a device of conflict; should some issue arise, she will speak her mind, whether it results in conflict or not. They established a history of her doing so in the FBI, I believe, and she did with Mac on several occasions this season. I think Mac and Stella also butted heads, so I'm not wholly seeing what the aim or issue is here, beyond perhaps having Mac and Jo less close or friendly than Mac and Stella were.

Characters like Carver, Sinclair, Mac's old partner Hunt, Russ, Camille, etc., were ways to intro tension or conflict too. Mebbe just not the wedge between Mac and NY's new leading lady that some might prefer.

If we're going to speak of interaction that seems forced, I'd be far more inclined to speak of DL :lol:, and if speaking of things unrealistic, how about Flack's flying leap and parkour tendencies seen in an ep or three in S7 :p. Don't get me wrong on the latter, it's hard to go wrong with Flack and I did enjoy his new found talents muchly, but in part because they stood out as being a little absurd even for NY :lol:. Where such things are relative, Jo is rather grounded and believable :lol:.

I'm glad that the dynamic with Mac and Jo has a different vibe than what characterized Mac & Stella's interaction. I appreciate it seems to stem from the characters as well as ideas of how to use them, or at least doesn't feel like its wholly scripted, and I'm glad NY didn't go about trying to simply replace the one dynamic with some interchangeable successor.

I like that Jo is mellow, having a different pace, not to mention possessing a different kind of humor and a hint of chaos; she is a fun way to balance not just Mac but a whole team of very proficient and efficient people. In a way, Jo is in a realm similar to Adam and Sid, being folk who seem to operate with a half-degree slight twist despite or because of the bounds of the conventions they are expected to work within.

An interesting point.

I agree it seems that some fans and especially some shippers, really wanted something more, by way of acknowledging the transition from Stella to Jo, and by that I get the impression the wish was for more emphasis on Stella leaving and how the others felt.

Part of me would like to think that had NY done so that some viewers may have in turn been more welcoming of Jo, and part of me thinks Jo would have gotten a rough ride regardless. (There have of course also been many viewers who did welcome Jo, and some Stella fans who didn't necessarily maintain a predispostion to dislike Jo immediately).

The focus was kept on moving the show forward, and I don't really have a problem with that. I'm glad the early season didn't wallow, especially as they didn't kill Stella off, and they did write that five months had passed.

NY also had a helluvalot to juggle. They had to deal with an unexpected cast transition that negated weeks of prep, had to still accommodate and wrap up a previously set-up cliff hanger scenario, find a way to move things along to explain the absence of one character, while next establishing Jo as a new team member, moreover by way of a new case, giving her material and focus enough to do so while having the rest of the team get to know her and vice versa, and having an ep of a caliber that would launch the season, and also a new slot.

That's quite a bit to orchestrate, and stuff into one episode. I'm not surprised a few mallets were present in the early season :lol:. It's easy to pick on the mallets and perceived sleights while in turn perhaps not really recognizing just what they pulled off.

No, ya can't plz all the people all the time, but dang, that was a lot to sort out.

Agree. Although if other characters like Sam, Peyton, Pino, etc. get to be revisited, I gotta say Stella is fair game to be revisited or mentioned too.

I just don't think there's some inherent obligation to look for ways to do so just because she was ~Stella.

MK seemed happy enough to let NY & Stella go, and move on. I'd like to think most of her fans are as willing.

--

I find it a bit disappointing that so much debate regarding the show and it's purported quality or lack thereof seems less to be about what the show put onscreen in S7 than an ongoing resistance to accept the character transition, especially as it was one that resulted ultimately from an actor's decision.

I think NY thru S7, in terms of content, cases, guests, team dynamics and interaction, production wise, is not necessarily better than its ever been, but imo it certainly is better now than it has been in years.

I'm also very much looking forward to spoilers soon so that there's something new to chew on :lol:. (I'm pretty sure I'd ramble less too :p)

8. PerfectAnomaly

I think that some people are probably assuming S8 will be the last season because S7 almost became the last season. NY was the last CBS show renewed for next season and it came down to being between NY and Suspect Behavior. The season finale was written so it could serve as a series finale if the show didn't get renewed. Realistically NY's not going to go on for years after it was nearly cancelled at the end of last season.

9. UKFAN

UKFAN Dead on Arrival

Spot on! I could not have said it better!

At the end of the day CSINY's fate is in the hands of TPTB and I think realistically they will be looking at how Season 7 rated during 2010/2011 and should Gary Sinise leave after Season 8 the effect it will have on the ratings.

10. PHANTOMERIK

PHANTOMERIK Dead on Arrival

Since Jonah arrived both the ratings and the all important demographic have plummeted that's how the show ended up nearly cancelled in the first place because to put it mildly 99.9999999999999% of the audience hates her guts and that
    is never going to change not now, not ever. I'm going to apologize for this next bit in
    advance to save time but it needs saying as for Jonah being closer to Mac then Stella what a load of rubbish your coming out with, firstly count all the hugs, then there is the tie twiddling back in the first season, then the Stella sitting all night with Mac at the end of the second season waiting for Flack to come round. In the the third season we had the two of them walking arm in arm outside the court during the Clay Dobson hearing, in the 4th it's Stella who goes to the bar when he's been Dear Johnned by Peyton and he's the one who brings her coffee and holds her when her apartment is burned down, in the 5th Stella is the one and I quote "he needs to hear it from" when she advises him to cut Ella McBride loose and lets not forget who it was Mac travelled to Greece for not to mention covered with his body during the shoot out. In the 6th season it's Stella he carries the xmas tree with and dscribes Taylor xmas past to, it's Stella who drives race cars with him and brings Chinese chicken to Mac when he's hurt. They are so close that Reid Garret thinks Stella is Claire at first, Drew target's her to get at Mac and Mac even leaves a crime scene for her when she's been attacked by Frankie. Taking all that into account and this is by no means an exhaustive list does Jonah even seem in the same league as our Stel? Thought not, if Stella's relationship with Mac is the CSI:NY equivalent of the Super Bowl then Jonah is an Senior Citizen's Tea Dance and that's being kind. For the good of the show Jonah needs to go now andwe need our Stella back even sooner. I will apologize again if anybody is mortally offended by my words but the truth is TPTB screwed up massively by letting MK go and have done nothing but worsen an already awful situation with the Jonah character take a look around the net there are fans who have watched since the pilot episode who are quite openly stating they would have prefered the show had been cancelled (no not just me) then have to watch Jonah Danvill in S8.

11. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Without polling all of the 9-10 million people who watch the show, you can't make generalizations like that, but anyway - there were episodes during season six (while Stella was still around) that didn't do much better in the ratings than the higher rated episodes in season seven. The show was moved to Fridays before they announced Melina's departure (if I remember correctly), and shifting to a much less active night no doubt had an effect on the ratings. Did Melina's departure affect the ratings? Yeah, I'm sure it caused a dip in viewership, but there are other factors to take into consideration. Nobody can say without any doubt that one single thing caused the decline in the ratings. This show has been on for seven seasons, broadcast TV shows are declining overall (with some notable exceptions, of course), forensic dramas are (arguably) past their heyday, the show was moved to a less desirable timeslot and one of the main actors left. That's a lot of factors.

To be completely honest, NY was lucky as hell to snag a big name actress like Sela Ward considering how long in the tooth the whole franchise is, plus all of the other factors I mentioned above. Whether or not people think her addition helped or hurt the show creatively, it seems misguided to place all of the blame for the show's decline on her shoulders (or, alternately, to suggest that Melina was the only reason for the show's past success).

We have no idea exactly what happened behind the scenes during Melina's contract negotiations, and we probably never will know. Ultimately, she chose to leave, and we can't say whether the network forced her out in any way. All we can do is respect her decision. She left, and TPTB can't just sit around and mope about it. The show must go on, as they say, and this is a big budget TV series that keeps hundreds of people employed.

Each fan can choose whether or not ze wants to continue watching NY. There's nobody who is going to twist hir arm and force hir to watch the show. If people would have been happier if it had been cancelled, they could just...pretend it was cancelled and watch "Grim" on Fridays at 9 or something.

(People can watch or not watch whatever they wish, of course, but it's not a requirement to watch or love the show - and that seems like a pretty odd reason to want a show cancelled when an individual could just choose not to tune in.)

12. BeccaKarenWoods

BeccaKarenWoods Victim

99.9% of the viewers? :wtf: Probably not. PLENTY of people like Jo. I actually love Jo because Stella seemed arrogant and bitchy in my opinion. I also think that the show would have been in danger of getting cancelled even if Melina still worked on the show. I believe that Sela has made the show a lot better by bringing a fresh vibe to the episodes.

13. TheChaoticBox

TheChaoticBox Rookie

Couldn't have said it better.

There is nothing wrong with giving your opinion, but don't speak in someone else's place, that's just wrong; and with all due respect, there is no need in repeating the same thing over and over again, because the discussion is going to circle around the same thing, over and over again.

I just had an exam called 'critical discourse analysis' and to be honest, this text would have been one pain in the but to analyse.

14. UKFAN

UKFAN Dead on Arrival

Someone mentioned about Danny being in second in command which I think is a fantastic idea, it is ashame the producers didn't think about the idea before season 7 and they could have hired an actress who could have played a lower grade CSI which would have saved money and could have been real fun.

Without sounding presumptious I do think that when TPTB hire an award winning actress like Sela Ward they expect some kind of success in the ratings and not find the programme on the verge of cancellation. So I think it would just be interesting to know what the producers have in store for Season 8 - will it be the last season? will it be a shorter season? will Mac run off in the sunset with Stella? will Stella come back for an episode of two (of course that is if Melina will return)?

I cannot wait to see.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  15. PerfectAnomaly

To be fair, I don't think TPTB hire an award winning actress to come in at the beginning of S7 when the show is moving to what is normally considered a "death slot" and expect the ratings to rise significantly. Seven seasons for any show, never mind the second spinoff of a series, is a long life especially in the type of TV climate we have now. To expect anyone to come in after someone else has been there for six seasons and bring the ratings back to what they were at the peak of the show's popularity is highly unrealistic.

The fact that the show didn't completely tank in the ratings in a bad time slot in S7 and had some comparable ratings to episodes in S6 speak volumes as to what Sela Ward brought to the table, IMO. The show wasn't almost cancelled because Melina left and Sela came in. It was almost cancelled because the show has been on a long time, has always been the lowest rated of the CSI shows and was moved to a bad time slot. IMO, Sela being added to the show is a big reason as to why it wasn't cancelled. With a new character on board there are more places to take the show that they wouldn't have had if Melina had stayed.

As far as Melina returning, I don't see any reason for her to do so. She chose to move on and IMO coming back makes her look pretty desperate for work. Both she and the show have moved on. I also don't see any reason for Mac and Stella to end up together. There was never any on screen indication the two were anything other than extremely close friends and co-workers. Putting the lead character with a character that has moved on from the show makes zero sense and would only be fanservice to a small percentage of the audience who are shippers. I know some shippers think they are owed some type of ending that makes them happy, but that's just not the case.

Anytime a show caters to shippers it turns out badly. Just look at Danny and Lindsay. That relationship has been a mess since day one and putting them together to please a small contingent of fans who wanted them together has made them the most boring couple on TV and has ruined the character of Danny. I wouldn't want Mac cheapened as a character just so shippers can get their way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.