Debate/Dislike a Ship Thread -- CSI:Miami

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by lament, Aug 28, 2006.

1. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Yeah I agree it seems forced. Especially after that scene in Sunday's episode where she had the gun. I also perceived that he wasn't that much interested in her because didn't he stand her up for that coffee? That wasn't too clear but the impression I got was that he stayed with Horatio and kind of blew her off. So maybe not the greatest start for them. I also don't really get her character, sometimes she seems really nice and others she comes off as a little full of herself. Meh I don't know. There's also the fact that Ryan is my least favorite so I really don't pay much attention when he's on. *shrugs*

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I am kind of neutral on the Molly/Ryan pairing. I'm still a Rave shipper at heart (that's Ryan/Valera for anyone who may not know the term), but she seems to be missing... one episode last season and nothing this season. :( Oh well. I don't know if I see any romance between Ryan and Molly. She seems to have a bit of a crush on him, but to me his interaction with her seems to be more of a mentor type of thing... but that's just my interpretation.

3. slower

slower Lab Technician

I'm not a Rave fan myself; but it sure makes more sense than Ryan and Molly. I agree that it has more of a mentor feeling. I just don't think she fits Ryan romantically.

4. greatfan

greatfan Captain

What makes sense depends on the viewer I guess. I don't really have a problem with Molly and Ryan. I think romance (if it's going to happen) is better with a recurring character.If the writers and TPTB happen to look around on different sites and see the varying opinions,I wouldn't be surprised if they say forget it and drop any idea of romance for Ryan,with anyone,which by the way is what I think is going to happen.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  5. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

To me, Ryan and Molly seem more like a Morgan and Garcia (Criminal Minds) situation (friends who playfully/teasingly flirt with each other, but really appear to have no romantic interest in each other). I'm okay with it being a romance, it just doesn't appear that way to me at this point. I do agree about the recurring character thing though.

6. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Ryan and Valera made sense. Molly just seems to be there for the sake of creating a romantic thing with Ryan. The ironic thing is that it isn't really taking off and she just has, I think, one episode left. If they would've kept Valera, which was by far the most interesting tech Miami ever had and the one with the most potential, they could've developed a nice storyline between her and Ryan which wouldn't seemed forced or rushed like this one does. Valera should've been kept around like Adam is in NY.

7. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I do agree that Valera should have been kept around, I guess the writers and TPTB weren't thinking romance at that time.Vegas has Hodges,NY has Adam. Miami really should have a tech that's there on a more permanent basis.Truthfully,I didn't see a lot of character development for Valera either after several seasons. I don't feel it's that huge a deal(yet) after so few episodes that Molly isn't fleshed out yet.
    I'm thinking there must be plans to have Molly return or at least be a recurring character next season to move things along. Of course there could be totally different plans.

8. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

So we are at the end of another season. Miami fans will have to bare with me, since I do not watch the show on a regular basis. Please be gentle with me as I wanted to get this thread moving while we wait for the new season.

Remember, this is a debate thread people will disagree with you. That doesn't mean they are wrong or stupid or what have you, that means they disagree with you.

Also, please post specific spoilers for each couple/pairing in their designated threads using spoiler tags. Let's keep this thread as general as possible.

Moving on... again I'm not familiar with all the characters on Miami, please let me know if I left out a couple/pairing. Thank you. :D

Eric and Calleigh. Emily left to have a baby. What's going to happen to their relationship now. Will the 'on again/off again' status be just that? Or will their be some defining moment between them?

Horatio and Renee. Are there sparks between them? Will she be his new love interest or just another victim in his curse of women. :lol:

Natalia and Ryan. Are they just friends? Is there more? Will he rescue her?

Eric and Natalia. Are they just friends. Are there some unresolved feelings between them?

Please, let's be civil to one another.

Happy Posting. :D

9. xxzertox

xxzertox Civilian

[spam]

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2011
  10. kilersiman

kilersiman Victim

[spam]

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2011
  11. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

Perhaps we could add Ryan and Molly? There is certainly an element of friendship between them, but whether there's something more is up for debate.

As for Ryan/Molly, I like their chemistry as friends. I'm neutral on whether or not the writers will pursue a romantic angle or not. Actually, I'd slightly lean against it, because I think in general, the current writers aren't all that great at writing a decent couple. I'll go into detail further down, but even as someone who likes E/C, I did not like how every revelation in their relationship had to come about because of unnecessary life-or-death drama. Let someone else take a turn in the hospital, for once!

I've always seen strong chemistry between Eric and Calleigh, and I really liked them as a couple. I think the writers got thrown for a bit of a loop when it seemed like Adam was going to leave permanently, then again when Emily was pregnant. They didn't know if they could carry out their original plan for the relationship (whatever it was, which I doubt we'll ever know). But instead of choosing to work around with decent writing, they took the sloppy, easy way out of breaking them up out of nowhere. It truly seemed like Calleigh was going to forgive Eric and rebuild the trust in their relationship at the end of the Season 8 episode "Time Bomb". I don't see why another near-death experience that was not the fault of either party would suddenly make Calleigh feel only brotherly love for Eric.

I sincerely hope the writers won't go back to an "on-again/off-again" thing, or worse, never reintroduce a romantic element to their relationship ever again. That would be ridiculous. For two people who mean so much to each other long before they became a couple, having their relationship end with no real explanation would be poor writing. If they're going to break the two up permanently, it would be in the best interests of everybody if they genuinely explored the true reasoning behind it. They wouldn't have to devote an entire episode to it- CSI:Miami is a crime show, after all- but one decent scene would be enough.

Obviously, I hope they do bring back the romance for Calleigh and Eric, and I think there's a good chance that they will.

Sparks? I certainly didn't see any in the season finale. But it doesn't mean that they couldn't appear in Season 10. If Horatio is going to be in a relationship, she seems like the best candidate so far. She's independent and age-appropriate. If they have chemistry and don't turn Renee into a damsel, they have the potential for a decent run. However, considering how the writers chose to insert unnecessary drama in the E/C romance, I wouldn't bet on that happening. I can see it already, Renee in a dangerous situation with only the Mighty Mighty Horatio to save her. I'd rather they not explore a romantic relationship at all with these two if they're going to make it like that.

I like them as friends, and they have good chemistry as both coworkers and buddies. I can't say I've seen romantic chemistry between them as well, but I wouldn't object to them becoming a couple if the writers did a good job of it. However, knowing these writers, that's unlikely to happen. :rolleyes: Will he rescue her? Well...hopefully not. I don't happen to see Natalia as a strong female lead, but even so, she certainly doesn't need to be rescued.

Let's talk about Lucy and Ricky from "I Love Lucy" while we're on the subject of ancient history :lol:. Anyways, no. I seriously doubt there are any unresolved feelings. They were over and done a long time ago. They make good friends and coworkers, but their time as an "item" has long passed its expiration date.

I suppose we could also mention Horatio/Calleigh and Calleigh/Ryan. My answer to both is "No thanks". I don't like the person Horatio has become, and I don't think it would be good for Calleigh to be with that kind of person. Plus, I never saw romantic chemistry between the two- I saw more of a father/daughter or mentor/mentee relationship than anything else. I enjoy Ryan and Calleigh as friends, as well as the "mentor" role Calleigh has played in Ryan's development as a CSI, but again, I do not see romantic sparks between them.

12. greatfan

greatfan Captain

Seeing romantic chemistry is very subjective. I can see a romance developing if the writers take it in that direction. If they do,I would hope it would be done better than the romances we have seen so far on Miami.
    I agree that the writers were thrown for a loop and did an extremely poor job with this couple.I've always seen them as friends,and still think leaving them as friends would have worked even better than them as a couple. There seems to be a problem with the writers portraying them as a regular couple vs a dramatic nightmare and I often wonder why, do they think it's the only way this romance will work?
    I would have no problems with a breakup , a good explanation,and then moving on.
    I like them as friends too. They have a solid friendship and respect for each other.I don't have a problem with Ryan rescuing her,but I would rather she rescue herself. I am of the opinion(as I stated before) that romance works better with a recurring cast member .
    I think Natalia can do very well as a strong female lead,which she has shown.Certainly as well as any other female lead.

Like most,I have to admit I didn't see sparks, maybe that needs to develop over another episode or two.

They made good friends and there was a nice mentoring by Calleigh.As far as romantic sparks, I saw as much between these two during Ryan's earlier seasons as I saw with any other couple on the show and the writers could have as easily gone this route(IMO) if they chose to.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  13. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

They've said that the reason that they put on hold the Eric and Cal relationship was due to Emily being pregnant (which IMO was completely unnecessary and lazy, but I digress). So if that was the only reason I guess there's a good chance that they get back together again; especially if this is the final season. I hope there are defining moments, I hope we are given an explanation as to what happened between them and that things get clarified. I certainly hope that if they get back together then that's it for them. No more on/off. If they are going to keep messing with them then I prefer them to just give them a nice resolution and leave it at that. However, I do demand an explanation for their breakup and the "love you like family" line crap. I don't want to assume as to why they broke up I want to know because the show told me.

I didn't see any sparks, at all. Having said that, I do like that she is a mature, professional woman and not a princess in need of rescuing. If they do decide to go down that road with them then I hope she is NEVER in a situation were Horatio needs to be the brave, noble hero. However, for me Horatio should be with Yelina. That was chemistry pure and simple. There's a history, they know and care for each other. When I saw them together in the beggining I thought "this is end game" they'll end up together. Then they took her off the show :shifty:.

Meh. Since these are the characters I like the least I really don't care for the two of them getting together or not. It wouldn't be out of the blue or strange. I hope he doesn't rescue her, I hope she gets out on her own. I've always seen Natalia as a weak character so getting herself out of the scrape she's in would add some points in my book.

Umm No. :lol: Ancient history right there. They've both moved on and I don't think there's anything unresolved there.

As for Molly and Ryan. Again, they can do whatever they want with them as far as I'm concerned since he does not hold my interest. I didn't perceive much interest from him towards her, maybe a bit more from her part. I'm "whatever" with these two.

14. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

Eric and Calleigh-
    Im not a big fan of this relationship, but I would like to see some resolution to it. I agree, the writing was very lazy, they could have kept them in a relationship with the minimum amount of effort. They spent all that time building it up (too much for my liking) but then ruined it in one fell swoop. I think they will get back together, but hopefully some different writers will work on it and explain what on earth is going on with these two.

Horatio and Renee
    I havent seen the last epi, so cant comment. But I do think that Yelina was the perfect woman for H. Its a shame tptb ruined her character.

Natalia and Eric
    I didnt like this pairing at the time, although when I rewatched s4 I didnt mind it, and could see chemistry. But I cant see that relationship starting again, I dont see any of those feelings between them now.

Natalia and Ryan
    I hated the thing between then in s4, but nowadays I could definitley see them together. They are a good match, have tons of chemistry and if it was written properly, I would like it if they become a couple. But that is a big if.

Calleigh and Ryan
    should definitely be on the list. In the earlier seasons there was so much chemistry between these two that I was sure they would get together. Unfortunately that was not to be, but they are so great together that now I really want to see the close friendship between them come back. I havent watched the Molly episodes, so cant comment on that pair.

15. greatfan

greatfan Captain

That's what I find to be a big problem for Miami.It doesn't matter if you do or don't like a character,don't find them interesting,etc. The fact is there has yet to be a great written romance on this show for any character or couple,zero.I would rather see no romance than see the writers return to creating an overblown dramatic spectacle as they have in the past.