"In a Dark, Dark House" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, May 4, 2011.

1. Otie

Otie Hit and Run

I think that a lot of folks are taking the comment Haskell made about there being still being a little bit of himself in Ray, and in Gloria, to mean that she's now pregnant with his child. However, I took that comment to be a bit more of a crude reference to his semen being inside her. Yes, there is a chance she could have been impregnated by him, but there would be no way for Haskell to know whether he did or not.

If the writers were trying to go for that hint... then that is just ignoring biology... which is probably why I'm leaning more towards it just being a crude reference and nothing more.

2. mendias

mendias Victim

[Spam]

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2011
  3. Lt.Sugar

Lt.Sugar Hit and Run

Don't vics of rape get the morning-after pill?

4. Otie

Otie Hit and Run

They'd be offered it, I'm sure (unless the attending doctor does not believe in using it, in which case the vic could request another attending to provide it), but it would be their personal choice whether or not they would take it.

So Gloria may, or may not have, opted to take it... they never addressed it. Whether purposefully this time to lead to a future storyline, or because they generally haven't addressed the vic taking the morning-after pill following rapes before.

5. byline

byline CSI Level One

That's how I'm interpreting it, as well.

6. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Well, in the United States if a patient asks for the morning after pill, they will receive it. No doctor or pharmacist can deny the patient that. And since it's rape, I believe they have to try to prevent pregnancy. Not sure on that though.

7. Otie

Otie Hit and Run

Okay, I know here in Canada certain doctors and pharmacists have the right to refuse distribution of it... they'll normally have signs up around their office/store though. In those cases they usually recommend another physician or pharmacist in their team to prescribe/dispense it. At least, that's what they're SUPPOSED to do. I know there's been a few cases of pharmacists going on rants and refusing to fill or return the script so the person could get it filled elsewhere.

Though my information is a few years old... I last really heard details about the rules regarding the it in my bio-ethics class in, um, '07? The laws may have changed since then.

8. Ipstenu

Ipstenu Police Officer Premium Member

Eh. It's actually not true. A pharmacist in Illinois CAN refuse to give it to a patient if its their religious standpoint. Or rather, there's a legal case going around about that right now. An extension of Roe v Wade.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2011-04-07-birth_control_religion_06_ST_N.htm?csp=34news

9. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Yeah, but all the pharmacies I've been at have the sign stating they cannot refuse to dispense it no matter what.

ETA: Ok, just read it. I don't know if that will hold up. That would be saying that doctors don't have to prescribe it too. The next thing will be doctors refusing medical treatment because their religion doesn't believe it certain treatments.

These people went in the pharmacy business and they have to dispense whatever is prescribed. If you have issues with that then you shouldn't be in this profession. The morning after pill is just a stronger version of birth control, are they not going to dispense that too? that's the problem with religion.

10. Ipstenu

Ipstenu Police Officer Premium Member

Personally, I agree. They should do it, or let someone else fill the order. But I also understand why it's a tetchy legal situation :/ Anyway. She SHOULD have been offered a morning-after pill. I don't think CSI would be so disgusting as to go the pregnancy route here. That's WELL into horror.

Though maybe that's why they moved to 10pm...

11. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Yeah, I hope they don't go that route. I mean the chances that she actually got pregnant would be like winning the lotto. :lol: You have to time it just right ;)

12. KaiLUxO

KaiLUxO Police Officer

Agreed. Now that could explain the time change :p lol

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  13. Crumbs

Crumbs Police Officer

Okay, judging by the comments, I realise most of you will hate me for bumping this episode back up, but seeing as it's only just aired in the UK, I feel the need to rant/discuss.

First of all, Haskell's dead. Hooray!

So last week we have Ray acting like Superman, leaping round LA looking for Haskell/Gloria and this week we have Ray going Incredible Hulk chucking him off the stairs. I hope the writers continue to relate him to superheroes next season, preferably the Invisible Woman. ;) Okay seriously writers, enough about Ray you have half a dozen other excellent characters to develop.

My first thoughts after the credits began rolling were of frustration. WHY can't we just get rid of this damn storyline now, I don't want to see it EVER again, also it pretty much ruins my desire for a Sqweegel season 12 opener. What I do like is that it might set up some interesting team interaction, I don't think a lot of the team are going to be able to look at Ray the same way ever again.

At first I was annoyed because I thought everyone apart from Sara was pretty much condoning Ray's actions, but then again I look back and think that there have been plenty of episodes where they've acted in favour of clearing someone. Ultimately, they don't have the evidence to say it was done in murder and they don't go out of their way to say it was self-defence. So looking back, I'm fine with it. It was like your bog-standard investigation type murder, only the case was pretty dull and obvious.

The only thing which really ground my gears was Brass going OOC, but if that sets him up for a promising (hopefully non-Raskell oriented) storyline next season, so be it. (coughSqweegelcough) He's been notably absent for a lot of this season.

I liked Ecklie and Henry/Hodges being out in the field, but I'd have liked to have seen more lab scenes to be honest, and Haskell's backstory had little interest to me. Felt a bit 'meh' towards Gloria in hospital scenes, although I feel bad for her I'm happy she didn't die.

My favourite scene was probably the locker scene between Sara and Greg. I'm not a Sandle shipper (or any shipper really) but I think the two have excellent chemistry and that's something I'd like to see more of next season. I particularly liked how Sara stood up for the "go with the evidence" analogy.

All in all, it was a bit average to be honest. I didn't think it was awful but it was far too reminiscent of For Gedda for my liking, and I never really liked that episode. I think the main good things which came out of this episode was Haskell's death and a bit of tension between the team.

Here's to a Raskell-free Season 12.