Season 11 Review

sharp52092

Star Wars and CSI Fan
Now that the season has come to a close, let's review

How was the 11th season overall?

What were your favorites, the okay, and least favorite episodes?

Several characters made returns: Grissom, Lady Heather, Drops, Sofia, etc

What surprised you? I know Grissom making an appearance surprised me, Heather returning too, Grissom's mother was alive, I know several were surprised with The Two Mrs Grissoms

There was also Jason McCann(Bieber) , Vartllows, Sqweegel, Haskell, Ecklie's daughter Morgan Brody

Episodes:

Shock Waves
Pool Shark
Blood Moon
Sqweegel
House of Hoarders
Cold Blooded
Bump and Grind
Fracked
Wild Life
418/427
Man Up
A Kiss Before Frying
The Two Mrs Grissoms
All That Cremains
Targets of Obcession
Turn On, Tune In, Drop Dead
The List
Hitting of the Cycle
Unleashed
Father of the Bride
Cello and Goodbye
In a Dark, Dark House

Last edited:
The season started really good. I won't forget the emotional scene between Catherine and Nick in the premiere. I'm also glad Grissom appeared midseason. Sadly, the Raskell fiasco ruined the season for me. The finale? Ugh I can't stomach. I'm not sorry for what happened to Haskell. He deserved to die. But just to add drama, the writer decided to go over the top and made the CSIs risk their reputations and career. And what's also surprising was Ecklie who was so hard on the team before but became soft with Ray? WTF. Wasn't he supposed to be the pain in the ass boss who'd uncover anomalies and/or prevent the CSIs from doing what they've done? Pulll them from the case! So simple.

Sorry for the rant. Just felt it's not worth it just to cover for Ray who been on the show for 2 years. Again, I think he did what he had to do I just felt it's not right to sacrifice the members who's been on the show for 11 years.

Anyway, my favorite episodes are Shock Waves, Sqweegel, House of Hoarders, Wildlife and The Two Mrs. Grissoms.

I thought the season started off strong, but it ended up going downhill at a rapid pace. There were a few bright spots towards the end of the season, however the fact season eleven ended up being about Ray Langston and Nate Haskell really leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Lots of potential was wasted (Sofia and Lady Heather's return, Katee Sackhoff's arc as Detective Reed) and storylines ended up being dropped or forgotten about (Catherine moving on, Sqweegel, Vartann/Catherine, Nick's emotional trauma). I just feel really disappointed with how things ended up.

While their appearances were brief and mostly used as a plot device to further the Haskell storyline, I really did enjoy seeing Lady Heather and Sofia Curtis this season. I'm also glad that Grissom's return was not linked to the Haskell arc; the fact that the writers brought him back for a really fantastic forensic-driven storyline circling around his past really pleased me.

My favorite episodes this season would have to be "Pool Shark," "House of Hoarders," "Wild Life," "418/427" and "The Two Mrs. Grissoms." "Sqweegel," "A Kiss Before Frying," and "The List" fall somewhere in between, with "Blood Moon," "Targets of Obsession," "Turn On, Tune In, Drop Dead," and "In A Dark, Dark House" ranking as some of my least favorite episodes.

I'm interested in seeing how Morgan Brody fits in next season. It's intriguing... wasn't Ecklie having problems bringing in a replacement during the beginning of season ten? He ended up bringing Sara back, but I'm surprised he didn't extend an olive branch to his estranged daughter and recruit her back to Vegas. Hmm...

I enjoyed most of the season, except for the Ray/Haskell stuff. Beyond the three final episodes, it managed to infiltrate other episodes that should've had nothing to do with them (especially Unleashed and Lady Heather's return).

I liked seeing older characters again, especially Sofia and Grissom.

I don't like how often the CSIs were out chasing suspects, rather than just finding and interpreting evidence.

My favorite episodes were Wild Life and The Two Mrs Grissoms. Least favorite episode, In a Dark, Dark House.

I thought the first half of the season was brilliant, particularly strong in the run from episode 4 to 11. The episodes were intriguing and the character interaction enjoyable.

Unfortunately the season started going downhill for me with 'A Kiss Before Frying', there were a lot of things I liked about that ep, but, along with 'Two Mrs Grissoms', there were good things and bad things in the eps. Which paved the way for the rest of the season being hit and miss.

Haskell really spoilt the end of the season for me, there was no need to revisit his character, and I never really got his vendetta against Ray. I liked Ray when he first came into it, but the episodes that focused on him this season were easily my least favourite, so now I'm at the extent where I'd like him to leave.

Things I liked were the introduction of Frankie Reed, I love Katee anyway, but I enjoyed her quips and she fit in effortlessly imo. Also the return of Sofia, she might not have been in it much but just seeing her again was great. Morgan seems promising, hope she lives up to it.

Favourite eps were 'Sqweegel', 'House of Horders' and 'Wild Life'.

I absoutely loved S/11, all of them starting with "Shock Waves" and all the way through I did think that "Pool Shark" was a bit silly, but still enjoyed it. And to me Catherine was the best ever in this season. She's a strong gal and showed her resilance throught out this season. I'm glad that the Ray Haskell fiasco is done but while it was happening I was into it to. The team are extrodinary and the best in crime drama shows to me. The show has climbed to the heights of genius. I enjoyed the whole season. Gosh I remember when "Shock Waves" aired, it seems like just yesterday. This season has gone so fast:wtf:

Except for Raskell I really thought there was more to like than dislike.

I loved seeing Lady Heather again, especially since back around The Good, The Bad, and the Dominatrix TPTB said that they didn't see Heather making a return.

Grissom I didn't enjoy so much. :( I felt that we were sold out by having it be a Skype conversation between him and his wife. I guess I had really hoped that if they were going to bring Grissom back, even for part of an episode, that he would be needed to help solve a case. This just seemed more of a 'we have 5 minutes left, lets have them listen in on a personal conversation between Grissom and his wife' type of thing that made me really not care.

Sofia was ok. Not much more that I can say about that. Could have just as easily had Ecklie (as undersheriff) do what she did.

Having never seen the actress in anything before I'll reserve judgement on Morgan until we see her more. (taking the high road here! :rolleyes:) I'm really dissapointed with TPTB here because they've signed a new character not only before the episode aired but before they tied up any of the rest of the cast. :(

Favorite episodes - House of Hoarders, Sqweegel, 418/427, The List, Unleashed and Shockwaves.

Least favorite episodes - Pool Shark, Man Up, All That Cremains, Turn On, Tune In, Drop Dead and of course In A Dark, Dark, House.

Susan

One thing I really missed this season was one true comedic type episode. Last year they had Appendictment which was wonderful and then the lab rat episodes the couple of previous years. I think there were a few comedic moments in some episodes this season but not one that truly stuck out as one.

The whole Raskell affair I could have done without, especially the last few episodes this season. Overall the season was pretty good with just a few expections like Pool Shark, Blood Moon, The Two Mrs Grissoms, and Turn On, Tune In, Drop Dead.

Overall, I'm going to say I was rather disappointed this season. While it had the return of many characters I love (Drops, Lady Heather, Sofia, Grissom), I felt each appearance was wasted. I'm also still resentful over the leaving of Wendy.

I really am tired of Raskell and am sincerely hoping it doesn't drag on much beyond next season's opener.

My favorite episodes this season would have to be: "Shock Waves", "Squeegel", "Wild Life", "A Kiss Before Frying", "The Two Mrs. Grissoms", "Targets of Obsession" (if only for the death of Bieber), and "Hitting the Cycle".

"
Unleashed" gets an honorable mention solely for Lady H.

My least favorites: "Pool Sharks", "Blood Moon", "Turn On, Tune In, Drop Dead", "Father of the Bride", "Cello and Goodbye", and "In a Dark, Dark House".

One of the worst things about this season was having Justin Bieber as a guest star.

One of the best things - killing him off!!

Over all I liked the season, it had its up and downs but it was mostly good. IMO

Raskell killed what could have been an overall great season

I'll start with my favorite episodes: :)

Sqweegel- Great screentime for everyone, the killer was creepy, something new, and unique, Ray's cane and hourglass lecture annoyed me, and the continuity from old episodes was great to see

House of Hoarders- My only complaint was Catherine was not mentioned, love seeing Nick and Sara bash heads, the hoarding was very interesting, some funny parts, and I loved the ending

Bump and Grind- Good use of ALL the characters, some funny parts like Greg and Hodges Mandate :lol:, Cath looking out for Nick, Sara looking out for Ray, Greg and the Identity Company though I feel Greg would know better than to mess around with that at least they're doing something with him

Wild Life- Brass: "Sylvester and Tweey" :lol: It was funny, seeing Hodges with the animals, and Greg with the parrot, Varllows trouble

A Kiss Before Frying- Gregisode, kinda wish they had done over a couple of episodes in a storyline, instead of in one entire ep, Dita did a good job, Greg was HOT! :drool: And the most screentime he's ever had in an ep and that will probably will the only ep he'll ever get that much :shifty::( , Loved the ending with Greg and Catherine's conversation

The Two Mrs Grissoms- Getting questions about GSR answered, I enjoyed Marlee Matlin and Grissom's mom Betty, small cameo from Griss, it wasn't what I'd call his official return- it was the prequel, loved the ending and Nick in this ep too

Hitting of the Cycle- Loved Greg and the gaming stuff in this ep, he looked like he was having fun, everyone making bets, a bit more science in this ep

Last edited:
This season started out with so much promise. So much to bring us back to why we watch CSI.

The premiere, the continuation of season 10's finale was great. Loved the moments between Cath and Nick and of course the scene in the warehouse leading up to Justin Biebers storyline.

All the episodes up to All That Cremains were examples. Some more than others.

Blood Moon wasn't my favorite *gasp* the storyline was a bit overdone. What saved it was not only the jaw dropping opening scene but the dialog and the interaction afterward between Catherine and Vartann. I can put that particular storyline as my favorite of the season, not the episode itself.

Wild Life was a classic CSI episode. Catherine/Vartann angst included.

Same with; Bump and Grind, Fracked, 418/427, Hitting for the Cycle, Man Up, and Cold Blooded.

I didn't want to like A Kiss Before Frying but I did. Same with The Two Mrs. Grissoms.

Targets of Obsession was okay. It confused me switching between the warehouse and the trial. Could have been two different episodes.

All the other episodes with Ray and Nate were pointless. Including the finale.

Dang, I forgot Sqwegel. Not just a classic CSI episode. But a very ingenious villain. I want him to return.

Last edited:
I, too, felt this season got off to a good start. Unfortunately, the last 3 episodes have brought the season down.

My favorites: The Two Mrs. Grissoms, House of Hoarders
Honorable mentions: Wild Life, Bump and Grind, A Kiss Before Frying, 418/427
Least favorites: Any episode involving Raskell

Season 11 started out fairly promising, but ended up with major overkill for the last half, thanks to the Raskell cat & mouse game that wouldn’t end.

Appearances by favorite returning characters only became movers for overdone plots. I did, however, enjoy many of the other guest stars – NOT including Justin Bieber. Even Caryn Mower’s split-second appearance was more enjoyable to watch than Biebrat. There were a lot of recognizable faces: Dina Meyer, Leisha Hailey, Elliot Gould, Howard Hesseman, Bruce Davison, Melinda Clarke, Marlee Matlin, Louise Lombard, Tony Curran, Ann-Margret, etc

Favorite episodes:
- pool shark - I loved the interaction with Elliot Gould & Marg as "The Booze" and "Daddy's Little Girl"
- the list - I consider it a great episode, even though one of my favorite actresses (Dina Meyer) had a semi-small part, yet the whole case was about her. And how can it not be a favorite when you hear that Vartann, Brass & Ecklie all slept with the same woman?
- House of Hoarders - yes, shockingly enough, even a Marg-less episode can still be considered a favorite in my book. Jorja's performance was top-notch.
- Wild Life - another of my favorite actresses (Leisha Hailey) with a guest starring role. Sara & Greg's bird case was cool too.
- Targets of Obsession – it’s a big *gag* for the Bieber appearance, but loved Kip and the team trying to find a way to live for longer than the 15 minutes they were given in that warehouse.

So-so episodes (okay, but not the best)
- Bump & Grind – Paper, plastic, metal & yuck, and Greg’s identity theft. Two bright spots in an average episode.
- Two Mrs Grissoms - only semi-enjoyable because of Jorja, Marlee & Phyllis’ performances. It’s sad that it had to be part of a resurrected GSR storyline.
- Turn on, Tune in, Drop dead – the only redeeming part of this episode was Howard Hesseman (and directed by Paul McCrane).
- Unleashed – even Lady Heather couldn’t breathe life into this one. But, because of her appearance, it don't go in the trash can.
- In a Dark, Dark, House – strangely enough, I was able to tune out the Raskell undertones enough (by ignoring all of the Raskell flashbacks) and focus on the things that made this a more classic CSI episode, like arriving at a crime scene, gathering & processing evidence & putting together the puzzle. That’s why this isn’t at the “bottom of the barrel”
- shock waves – minus anything concerning Biebs, I liked the investigation in figuring out the bombing, the cute (but very short) Cath/Sara scene in the locker room, the ending with Greg & Lou almost getting bombed.
- sqweegel – Ann-Margret brightens an average episode. She didn’t measure up to Faye Dunaway from a few seasons ago. And a big thumbs-down for no Marg/Ann-Margret “happy face” reference.
- Hitting for the cycle – annoying Kevin almost moved this one to the “icky” bin, but Greg in his gaming geekdom was cute.
- Fracked – Erin Brokovich redux?

Bottom-of-the-barrel episodes:
- the Raskell fest – including Father of the Bride, Cello & Goodbye.
- A Kiss Before Frying - it was great to see Greg highlighted for an episode, but for a few small scenes, the main story was crap
- Blood Moon – vampires are SO overdone. (unless it’s Nikola Tesla from ‘Sanctuary’!) I’m not sure that anything more than the first minute was worth rewatching.
- All that cremains – big props to Willie Nelson singing “I fall to pieces” to begin with. It’s all downhill from there.
- Cold Blooded – Hodges’ gawking at the dinosaurs as the only bright spot.
- Man Up – Carrot Top. Enough said.
- 418/427 – FBI liar. How original.

* I did enjoy the great Sara/Greg scenes we got towards the end of the season. However, much of the season seemed to be stuck in a rut of having the same people paired up (with Ray supervising them all) – until they all had to give up their ‘crime of the week’ and jump on the Raskell bandwagon.

* Cath/Lou had me interested for about an episode, until the writers screwed that up (not surprisingly)

* the one new character that I really enjoyed and wished they’d make recurring, Kip (the bomb guy) got blown up saving the CSI team. The show really could have done with his humorous attitude on a semi-regular basis. Two other ones (Katee Sackhoff & Sienna Guillory’s characters) didn’t really interest me much. I am a bit interested in Ecklie’s daughter’s addition to the team.

* the only positive point in the whole mess with Ray is that Robert David Hall got some much more deserved screen time because of it.

* I also enjoyed bringing in Larry Sullivan on a more semi-regular basis as Officer Akers. However, the loss of Liz Vassey as Wendy was very disappointing.

I'd really love to have a season without a serial killer plotline, at least a couple episodes where cases don't include dead bodies, and no more of the overused CSI-in-Peril plots.

Last edited:
If they'd had Haskell's only appearance being in the season premiere, this season would IMO have been one of the best ever. But the whole 'killer obsessed with a cop/csi' has been done to death and dragging this storyline throughout the whole season was a serious waste of time. (okay, I will admit that if it had been a Nick storyline rather than a Ray one, I might have felt differently, because I will cheer anything that gets more Nick screentime)

And so this is the 3rd consecutive season finale that's ended with Ray. 2 years ago we had him forced to kill in self defence. Last season it was the 'will or won't he' survive after being stabbed. Now we're supposed to be all worried as to how the IA interview will go? I get that LF is the lead actor on the show. I get that TPTB aren't going to pay him dumploads of money to sit on his ass. I just wish that TPTB would get that many fans have watched their own favourite characters for 11 seasons and would really like to see *them* get a fair shake of the screen time and plots and not be relegated to second place just because TPTB have a new favourite.

Back