What Books Are You Reading?-#3

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Re: What Are You Reading?-#3

I'm reading Michael Connelly's latest, The Fifth Witness. This is a Mickey Haller book. Mickey is a defense attorney who is the main character in The Lincoln Lawyer. Mickey is finding the defense business a little on the slow side so he's taken to working foreclosure cases. One of his foreclosure clients is charged with the murder of the guy working for the bank that was trying to foreclose on her home.

2. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

'Deluge' by Stuart M. Kaminsky, the third CSI:NY book. Mac and Flack are working a serial killer case where the vics are incapacitated, suffer genital mutiltion, and have letters carved in their thighs that seem to spell out the name 'Adam', it later transpires that all 3 have been convicted of sexual crimes of some description. Danny and Lindsay are working the case of a murdered teacher at an elite Manhattan private school. Stella and Hawkes are working a bombing of a bar.
    It's the third time I've read this book, but I'm enjoying it.

Also 'The Operators: Inside the World's Special Forces' by Mike Ryan which is about spec ops forces from the world's military, it gives details of spec ops forces in the countries that have them, looks at the training of the SAS and Delta Force in some detail, gives examples of Spec Ops missions, etc. It's very interesting so far with lots of really cool pics!

3. Kaunis Mies

Kaunis Mies Pathologist

My emails and tweets plus text messages

4. Merlyn007

Merlyn007 Victim

I m reading The Magic of Big Thinking !

5. Hatal

Hatal Victim

I am currently reading a book called Drylor The First Artifact by Ryan Tomasella.

6. Kaunis Mies

Kaunis Mies Pathologist

The lyrics in my album cover of HFTS

7. Jacquie

What we're looking for here is the name and a brief description of a book you're reading :)

8. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

Dead Man's Footsteps by Peter James. It's the fourth book in the DS Roy Grace series. So far, there are several story threads going on -

- In the chaos of 9/11, a failed Brighton businessman named Ronnie Wilson sees an opportunity to leave all his debts and problems behind.

-In September 2007, two young Australians discover a car in a river in the Australian bush.

-In October 2007, Roy Grace is called to the scene of a skeleton found in a storm drain in Brighton, a skeleton he thinks may be his wife Sandy who disappeared years before.

-Also in Brighton in October 2007, a young woman called Abby is on the run from a dangerous man from her past, a man who's finally caught up with her.

It's really good so far, the parts set in New York on Sept 11 are really well written. Very realistic and horrific.

9. Kaunis Mies

Kaunis Mies Pathologist

[​IMG]
    The album that means so much to me and the lyrics are all so beautiful and i love tracks: 8,3,7,6 and 12 and this is their 2005 album and i just love reading the lyrics and making song fics with the lyrics..

10. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

"Strange New Worlds: The Search for Alien Planets and Life Beyond our Solar System" by Ray Jayawardhana. Just started it. So far I've only read the first chapter which is ancient, ancient, ancient... history about the first real astronomers. Basically it's about astronomy and the search for "exoplanets" (planets outside our solar system, around other suns) and how only in the last 15 years or so has the technology come about to be able to provide proof that there are other planets outside of our solar system.

Susan

11. SunsetBoulevard

SunsetBoulevard moderator.exe Moderator

I'm reading Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut. It was acutally released with a different title afterwards, the book I have is titled Utopia. I'm only at page 22, but it seems pretty interesting already :)

12. evdenevenakl

evdenevenakl Victim

Spam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2011
  13. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I just finished 'The Submission' by Amy Waldman. It's a novel about 9/11, and I have read a lot of '9/11 novels' but I would have to say this is my absolute favourite.

The events of the novel take place two years after the attacks.An anonymous competition to design a memorial at Ground Zero has been set up. A group of 'worthy' citizens, including artisits, university lecturers, historians and such form a jury of 13 people are judging it. When the finally pick the design they like best, it is revealed the designer is a Muslim architect named Mohammed Khan. Controversy explodes. Claire Burwell, the only member of the jury to have lost a family member that day, fiercely defends Khan's right to win and to build his design, but soon finds herself besieged by the media (left and right), the families, sly politicians looking for an angle, and various groups from all over the political and ideological spectrum who use the issue to puah their own ideologies. Mohammed Khan, the designer, finds himself at the centre of a conflict about what it means to be a Muslim (even though he's not particularly religious) and an American in the wake of 9/11, and whether he can be both. As well as Claire and Khan's stories, we get the stories of Paul Rubin, the jury's chairman, who is also being besieged from all sides, Alyssa Spier,an ambitious and somewhat unlikeable yet naive reporter who capitilizes on the issue to advance her career, but encounters her own share of problems from doing just that, and, perhaps most poignant, the story of Asma Anwar - young, a Muslim, Bangladeshi, an illegal immigrant who lost her husband Inam (also illegal) in the attacks and must raise their baby son alone, and finds herself fascinated in and caught up in the debate, being both a family member and a Muslim.

The novel really addresses not only the 'Muslim issue' in America after 9/11 (reflecting the whole RL debate about the mosque near Ground Zero), but also the question of what it means to 'American' post-9/11 (Muslim or not), the nature of grief (Asma's loss is evoked particularly sharply), and the way 9/11 has become so politicized, with various groups, left, right, conservative, liberal, pro-Muslim, anti-Muslim, as well as various groups in the Islamic world, and indvidual politicians, all using it to advance their own agendas and propagate their own ideologies. What I really liked about that aspect was how the writer wasn't all 'liberals are right, conservatives are wrong' but showed understanding of the strengths *and* flaws in both political outlooks, and how even 'liberal' or 'pro Muslim' groups, as tolerant as their viewpoint might seem, use the memorial, and 9/11 for their own gain.

Absolutely the best '9/11' book I've ever read, and very topical with the memorial for the 10th anniversary and the recent 'Ground Zero Mosque debate'. The novel really *does* explore the nature of grief that comes from an event like 9/11, and how that grief interacts with post-9/11 politics. The characters are real, human and flawed, there are a couple of very unlikable characters (a right-wing radio show host, the reported Spier, a grabbing, canny, too-ambitious governor) but most of the characters are complex enough that I felt my sympathies switching and changing as they changed. Asma is the one character who held my sympathy throughout, perhaps because she's literally caught between both worlds, and because she deals with her grief in such a quiet way, yet becomes such an important part of the book.

14. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

I just finished "Silver Girl" by Elin Hilderbrand. She is an amazing writer that my Grandmother turned me on to. I love her books. She has written about 9 total and "Silver Girl" is her most recent release. All her books take place in Nantucket, MA, where I visited for the first time this summer so I have enjoyed reading about places I visited. Her writing still is great for summer reading by the pool. I have to say I enjoy her works so much I find myself sneaking away to read during the day because I can't up them down.

I have just started "Summer In The South" by Cathy Holton and so far so good. The reading is a little slower and with this being the first book of her's that I have read I am getting used to her writing style.

15. Jacquie

I just started reading Amuse Bouche: A Russell Quant Mystery. This is the first in the set by author Anthony Bikulka. He's a Canadian author :) and this series is set in Saskatoon Saskatchewan. Russell is an ex-cop turned private detective. In this first book he's investigating a gay marriage that gone bad. One of the grooms is missing. He heads to Paris, France and back to Saskatoon to find out the answers. I've just started it but I like it. It's always good to read some books with some Canadian humour :)