Episode 9x22 - 'Mayday' - ***CONTAINS SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by FieldMouse, May 7, 2011.

1. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

You both make excellent points. And it's not just a problem on CSI:Miami, either: writers for today's TV shows and movies are terrible at writing female characters. They all resort to clichés and stereotypes that apply to very few women in real life. It's truly sad how sexism is still so pervasive 30-50 years after Second Wave feminism. The only difference is that it's less overt and more subtle- you're less likely to hear a male character say "She's a woman, so she can't do this on her own". Instead, a female character is never shown doing something on her own without the assistance of a male character- it implies rather than outright declares "Women can't do stuff without men". But the message is still the same.

2. elliecatt

elliecatt Dead on Arrival

your remark about Renee looking like she needed a laxative made me laugh so hard I banged my forehead on my screen!:guffaw:your thoughts on her are not far off the mark of my own...H has always loved Yelina. I have wondered since the very first WHY they were never explored because they smoke up the tv screen EVERY time they are together...now THATS chemistry, writers. get Nat outta the trunk and lock Renee in it.
    bring back Yelina if you want to pair him with someone...she's perfect to help nurse him back to health.:luvlove:

3. elliecatt

agreed on both counts...'Out of Time' rocked. made me tear up quite a bit, myself.
    and that little sound H made when Natalia asked him where he was hit just KILLED me for some reason...

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

EllieCatt, since you're new, you may not be aware of this, but you can edit your post for up to 24hrs after posting it. :)

We don't even know 100% that Renee was meant to be a love interest. That could all just be buzz. Personally, I liked Renee. I don't truly believe she'll be a love interest for Horatio though.

I do miss Yelina and wonder why the writers never went there with them. It seemed so obvious. Oh well, its probably best they didn't because in all likelihood, the writers probably would have screwed it up anyway lol.

5. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Interview O'Brien (spoiler codes just in case):

Apparently there was the possibility for them to become romantically involved and after seeing them together they got convinced. Honestly I didin't see the sparks or the chemistry. I'm with those who think that Yelina is the one he should end up with.

6. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

Just way too predictable as a finale. We are left for month to speculate over who died, therefore preserving rating over the Summer.

The "''H' got shot," scenario is not new. But it will explain the cancellation of the show, if it were to happen. And the death of NBV (which would suck, IMO) would allow CBS to pay other actors their exorbitant demands to be second-bananas on other shows; Eva LaRue deserves much better.

The series deserved a much better finale to this year, which may or may not be the last. The ceaseless gunfire and semi-broken relationships make this show a mockery of what it used to be. Gary Sinise did much better in CSINY, with the same "next-year" questions.

7. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

Be fair, man - H really getting shot certainly is new...

8. byline

byline CSI Level One

Amen! Or, if we do see a woman go off on her own, she usually gets into trouble for it. It's the old film rule on "femme fatales"; they were actually assertive women who took control, but they were portrayed as "bad news" and always got their comeuppance at the end.

9. fanilowchick

fanilowchick Police Officer

OMG I know!!! I just heard that for the first time last night watching on my Ipod. That was heart breaking. It was almost a whimper :(

10. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

Totally agree with this. I know all the characters on this show are in danger at some point or other, but it is definitely the women who seem like the damsels in distress. I would much rather see a storyline for either Cal or Natalia that showed there strengths. They are both very capable characters, but this constant 'being in peril' seems to go against that.

11. elliecatt

yeah I know. it will certainly be interesting how the writers handle it next season. I really hope that they don't heal him up too fast, ya know? like I said before he is always so stoic and strong I REALLY want to see them explore a more vulnerable and human side of Horatio. I know DC definitely has the acting chops to play weak and injured convincingly. it was really beginning to frustrate me that virtually every member of the team has been injured and imperiled on the job at one time or another, some more than once and H just walks thru everything unscathed. the writers better not f this up. I'm just sayin...

12. Hardline Pro

Hardline Pro Lab Technician

Horatio got shot (for real) before? I don't think he ever did... :shifty:

13. fanilowchick

fanilowchick Police Officer

elliecatt and hardline_pro: Agree with both you 100%. H has never been injured since the show began, and I hope they make his recovery convincing, instead of him magically bouncing back to work. I for one don't think they well. Don't let me down CBS!!

14. ruby&theheadmen

ruby&theheadmen Lab Technician

Glad you thought that was funny- the one thing Horatio doesn't need is having to squabble and fight with someone before falling for them. Hoping that Yelina will make a grand entrance. I like Natalia, but she'd do better with someone else. Her and Ryan seem to get along very well too...

15. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

This is gonna sound mean to poor H, but first thing that popped into my head when I saw H's expression of shock at being shot, I thought H must be thinking, "NOOO Someone ACTUALLY shot me!! This can't be happening! I am superman! I don't get hurt ever!!" :lol:

Like many others on here, as much as I adore Horatio, I was very happy and actually cheered when he finally got hurt!!! It was ABOUT TIME after the 3 millionth time he keeps on surviving bizzare attacks and shootouts without even a strand of hair out of place! :p

Horatio Caine is human, who would have thunk...;)

Now if only they can do a realistic follow up for the next season premiere and not just have Super!H return and save the day again! :shifty:

Overall this episode was good, it's not the most amazing, it's just pretty standard but the last few minutes was definitely riveting and great to watch!!! :thumbsup: