"Cello and Goodbye" discussion **Spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by DJRideout, May 1, 2011.

1. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

One would still have to take the I-15 to Death Valley, to the turn off and you don't want to do that. It's desolate and isolated, and 120 degrees this time of year, then you'd have to connect back to the I-15 to still get to Vegas. Haskell is a smart cookie and he's probably not take that kind of chance. On the Hightway Patrol once again if an APB was issued he would be a prime target, & they would be looking for him. My bet is that he paid someone to drive there:confused:

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  2. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I automatically thought of the I-15 Murders ep when you mentioned I-15 lol

I also think one thing that's involved is that apart from our CSIs, TV cops aren't always the smartest for some reason. I've seen it on several shows...not good.

3. Ladybronco

Ladybronco Pathologist

DW is right about the I-15 and the basic route. Not too many different ways to get to Vegas from L.A. that don't add a ton of extra time to the trip. If he made the trip at night, it would be much easier, especially if the authorities have no idea of what vehicle you're in. I don't live in L.A. anymore, I'm out east about 120 miles, so we take some real *back roads* through the desert to get to Vegas. They get me there in about 3 1/2 hours. I can't remember ever seeing a cop out there, but at night you have to watch for wild cattle and burros in the roads. They've brought us to complete stops on occasion, and yelling *Mooove* doesn't work. :guffaw:

If you fly from L.A. to Vegas, it's only about an hour. Ray went to the farm alone, but he did call for backup when he found Arvin in the house, so those responders are the only ones who can get there within a reasonable amount of time. It will be interesting to see how quick the team gets back to Vegas, but it will obviously be after whatever happens between Ray and Haskell in the farmhouse. It still must be pretty quick though because Arvin's body is still there when Sara and Greg are there in the preview for ADDH.

:guffaw::guffaw:

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  4. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Well I can see Greg being there early and Brass because we know they did not go to LA but Sara was in LA so that should be interesting. Of course we aren't supposed to think about those kinds of things. :lol:

5. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Maybe she caught a ride with Haskell. :lol:

6. A. FineLabrats

A. FineLabrats Rookie

This is the first episode I've actually deleted before watching the recording. Saw about 5 minutes at the beginning and just gave up. This makes me sad...CSI used to be something I watched every week, even if Greg wasn't on. Now I'm just losing interest..this Haskell crap bores me to tears and the writing seems to be slipping badly.

7. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

LOL I had to look up the floo powder, well sort of, I gleaned it was a Potter thing when the stuff popped up in the Bing box as I was typing.

8. Crumbs

Crumbs Police Officer

An interesting episode, despite it consisting entirely of Raskell. Overall, a more satisfying episode than Father of the Bride, which annoyed me on many levels.

I'll get the worst bit out of the way, that being the Santa Monica Pier cat and mouse scenario. Why was the carousel area so empty when the rest of the pier was packed? Actually the whole scene was laughable and just plain stupid. It was only remotely saved by Nick's "I'm not getting on my knees" comment.

Now, on to Ray prancing round LA. (Where was his cape and matching tights? :p ) Oddly enough, I think that could have worked. I think Ray reacted appropriately given the situation. Catherine would have done the same for Lindsey, Sara would have done the same for Grissom and we've already seen Greg effectively do that earlier this season with his strip... I mean burlesque dancer. So why is it so wrong? We've seen it before, I almost felt like I was watching Doctor Who all over again, only this time with a more annoying recurring character and Ray's dragging the team down with him.

I felt sorry for Catherine in this one. Some members have said that it's partly her fault for bringing Ray out with her but I disagree, even if she had left Ray back in Vegas he'd have gotten himself on a plane to LA anyway. She's got a loose cannon and it's reflecting badly on the team. Worst of all, her assistant supervisor disobeys her as well choosing to chase Haskell round Santa Monica which gives the team an even worse impression. Nick was rightly reprimanded in my opinion. It looked like Sara was the only one on the team who's actually doing what she's supposed to.

I liked Greg and Hodges' scene with the phone, I didn't like the scene with Ray in it. What happened Greg? A year ago he was having doubts about Ray but now he's willingly been lassoed into letting Ray wander freely? Hodges is portrayed as being an idiot as well, first letting Ray use the log-in and secondly falling for the "coffee trick", it's all getting out of hand and I can't wait until next week when (hopefully) Haskell's put to bed. (Preferably six feet under the ground.)

Oh dear I'm moaning again, okay I'll say some good things about the episode. I liked both Sosa and Brody. Whilst I think Brody will be a great asset to the Vegas team realistically I think we've seen enough of Sosa to get a good feel of what he's like and I reckon he'll lose some of his character when placed alongside Brass, Vartann, Ecklie etc. However what I saw from Brody in particular was promising. (Please don't do a Lauren Lee Smith CBS!)

I also liked how Haskell's sticking to the formula he was introduced to. Targeting couples, post-mortem stab wounds, keeping the wives etc. At least he's maintained some of the good qualities he had when he was introduced in 19 Down. I still won't miss him though.

I'd say overall it was a good episode, not the best but not as shambolic as I was expecting. Only one more episode to go now before a slighter shorter 3 month wait until Season 12. (I'm going to watch it at the same time as the US next season.)

9. Ladybronco

Ladybronco Pathologist

Crumbs, those are very good points, and I agree with many of them.

I know the answer to this. The carousel closes by 7 p.m. on it's latest night, and by 5 p.m. any other time. The guys were there definitely later in the evening, but it's hard to say just what time they were there. Late enough that Nick had time to fly out, meet Catherine at her scene, and then track Ray down to the motel room.

The Carousel is up toward the very front of the pier, while Pacific Park is out at the end of the pier nearest the water, and it stays open pretty late I think. There's a small distance between them. It wasn't really a goof this time :lol:

As far as I know, it was only Brody that was supposed to become a regular. The character of Sosa was not mentioned as being added to the show. However, a later interview with Carol Mendelson said she mentioned Brody as being the CSI's L.A. counterpart, so now we're not sure if they're bringing Brody to Vegas or not. If they leave her in L.A. instead, there might be means of having Sosa appear every now and then. I did like his character, so I have no problem with adding him to the guest stars.

Good for you! I can't imagine how hard it would be to stay off of the board so as not to be spoiled before seeing the episodes. I only have to stay off for a about 3 hours until it reaches my time zone. :lol:

10. byline

byline CSI Level One

I know this has been asked before, but I have to wonder why the powers that be had the L.A. aspect at all. Couldn't everything they set in L.A. just as easily have occurred in Vegas? It seemed very strange to have all this traipsing around, only to end up back in Vegas. The only thing I can figure is that they're working toward an L.A. spin-off, so they shoehorned it into this episode to get it started.

11. Desertwind

It could have but they were all chasing creep-show Haskell, and that's where he went. I liked seeing L.A., my birth city and the Santa Monica Pier, been there, so authentic and real. The carrousel, and the cat and mouse chase with Ray, Nick and Nate exciting. I loved this episode with all the many twists and turns:thumbsup:

12. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

As nice as the Santa Monica pier is (it truly is lovely), I kind of wish they went for a more different approach with the locations. Personally, I think The Grove/Farmers Market would have made for more interesting/compelling chase scenes.

My other problem with the episode was the lighting/coloring. Really, did it HAVE to be orange/brown (which, woefully, reminds me of Miami, yuck)? "Hollywood Brass" had a great look to it. Wish they went that route again (and please, bring back Bill Eagles as a director!).

13. Desertwind

Those are great places, [been to them too] but I think due to crowd control that would have made it nearly impossible. So many people plus vendors, the security many and screw-balls wanting to get to close to the stars, etc. mayhem at it's highest level. The Pier was the most probable because of the lack of crowds.:wtf:

LF AT "THE GROVE"

14. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

My apartment is just down the street from the Santa Monica pier, and I can assure you that place is just as packed as the other two places. ;)

15. byline

byline CSI Level One

OK, but that's not my point. The point is, why did the writers have Haskell go there? What purpose did it serve? In terms of the story, very little really, and it was actually one of the more implausible elements of this episode to have practically the entire team haul ass over there, then immediately haul ass back to Las Vegas in the following episode. So the only thing I can think of is that the powers that be are possibly segueing to an L.A. spin-off. Oh joy, yet another L.A.-based crime show!