Character Development/Screentime Discussion

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Poirot

Poirot Victim

Totally agree, I noted that Grissom's serials dance like Milander/Greer/Davis were thought out cat & mouse affairs that lasted only a few episodes.

Not only did the J&H storyline stretch pretty thin but it ended comically and extended the Haskell dance that was already boring on its own.

If Fishburne stays (most movie actors don't quite do that), they should consider less drama and more dark comedy

2. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

Poirot, it's important to remember that Langston came into the show late and as a result the character had to develop like it was on steroids while Grissom had been with the show since the beginning. As much as I'm getting exhausted hearing about Langston, I'd be even more frustrated if the writers had made the decision to have Langston develop slowly. If I had to choose between exhausted or frustrated, I'd pick exhausted.:lol:

3. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

I'm going to start making my wish list for Season 12, I know I'm pretty early but the way things have gone lately I'm PAST ready to move on from what has happened and get back to my favorite show CSI

Back to more science and learning

I like that we've had more character stuff in s11 but Raskell was completely out of control

:scream: NO MORE SERIAL KILLERS!!! :scream: A LINE MUST BE DRAWN SOMEWHERE

Though I'd like Sqweegel and part of me wants to see him again but I'm scared he'll just become another one of Ray's serial killer and history will repeat itself :scream:

Catherine needs a good exit, that is another important MUST!!!

Brass needs to go back to character though I'm not sure how that can be done or if it's possible :(

4. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

On this topic we now found out another mystery pertaining to Ray. he and Gloria split up because he didn't want a child, due to the fact it might inherit his MAO gene. Layer upon layers of this mysterious character:confused:

5. Rizzoli

Rizzoli Lab Technician

Ray's a murderer now, he's no better than Haskell, McKeen, Natalie, Millander... To let him continue on the show would be a HUGE middle finger from CBS to law enforcement everywhere.

6. byline

byline CSI Level One

Have Grissom come back and say it was all just a bad dream, LOL!

In terms of character development, about the only thing I think the powers that be got right this season was finally developing Greg into a real character (since he went out in the field). I've also found myself really liking Sara this season; she's almost taken on Grissom's "voice" in many episodes.

But Ray's character has just really gone sideways for me (and this is coming from someone who liked him early on); there's really no way to justify what he's done (unless the writers are going the "unreliable narrator" route, and that flashback we saw was a story Ray concocted to protect Gloria).

And then the way the other characters have folded on so many occasions, when they should have stood up to Ray, just doesn't ring true for me. They've been a team for too long to cave so easily to a newer member of the team. Of course, bringing in a new team member often does change the dynamic, sometimes for the better, but sometimes for the worse, and this could be what the writers are aiming for. It doesn't sit well with me though, as a fan. Conflict is one thing, but the steady deterioration of a beloved team is something else.

7. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

Just because you've murdered someone doesn't make that you a horrible human being. If you're a super-pacifist than I can see why you'd think that but Langston killed someone who, honestly, deserved to die. After everything Haskell did, death was his only option. I do agree that Langston should have been thinking more with his head and not his heart in that situation with Haskell but I understand why he did what he did. His wife was raped and tortured. If I was in Langston's shoes, I'd might even do the same thing.
    When I heard that I was actually surprised. I'd always wondered why the two of them divorced since they seemed to still like each other. I still can't understand why he's so obsessed about this MAO gene thing. Someone needs to just sit down and tell him, "Dude, genes don't determine who you'll be. You determine who you'll be.":lol:

8. KaiLUxO

KaiLUxO Police Officer

^^HAHAHAHAHAHA TRUE! BUT we all know that would never happen :p

9. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Maybe murdering someone doesn't make you a horrible human being (which I don't completely agree with, it'd have to be a very specific situation) but it definitely makes you a horrible and hypocritical law enforcer.

10. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

That's something that the courts should have decided, NOT just one man. Langston has always had moments of turning his back on his team and his job, and trying to take on everything himself (Doctor Who, Mascara). This is just taking it to a horrible extreme. He's supposed to work as part of a team, and a member of law enforcement - not a one-man army. His team has his back, more than they should really, but he doesn't return that respect and trust back to them.

11. Ladybronco

Ladybronco Pathologist

I can remember most of the occasions where the team, especially Nick, has had Langston's back, but has Langston ever *saved* the team from anything, or had their back? I can't think of any. It does always seem to be a one-way street. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  12. Desertwind

In I believe "Meat Jekyll" or maybe it was "Shock Waves" even though Ray had just lost a kidney, the first words out of his mouth were "How's Nick" more concerned about his safety than his own losing a kidney issue. He's been supportive of them and totally helped them with his background expertise as they've done for him, from the beginning with all of them. I just see that they've "embraced him" and just plain like him, and are glad he's part of the team. I think he'd do anything he could always to protect them as the have with him.:bolian:we've seen many layers of his personailty and from sweet, nice gentle to irriatated and frustated to full on rage. Interesting character~

13. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

And yet he put Brass in the position to tamper with evidence and put the team in an awkward position. Yeah, real stand up guy there. :rolleyes:

Personally, I think they should all start questioning whether he should be part of the team.

14. Desertwind

He didn't put Brass in any position Brass did that all on his own as he's done in the past. Who handed in the "self defense" report to IA, UH, I think it was Catherine, who's in charge, and the whole team if found out would be in jeopardy and would show they all have little intregrity. They're all in on this fisaco. And we don't know yet what Ray's going to say to IA:confused:NO matter what way one slices this, the team likes Ray. That's what TPTB have presented to the fans. It's a mixed bag, on the rightnesss or wrongness of what happened. Fans are welcome to contact the writers and give their opinion of this show and the whys and wherefores~

15. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

I'm pretty sure that law enforcement officers breaking the law is wrong.