Season 11 "Spoiler Lab" Discussion Part 4

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by DJRideout, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Your opinion, your obviously NOT a fan, but have respect for those who are. I didn't assume that all fans watch CSI for him, but many do. I have some neighbors who'd never heard of WP as Grissom but only in "Cousins" now watch because he's on. It's different strokes and to each one's own, isn't it?

2. Rizzoli

Rizzoli Lab Technician

I have the up-most respect for those who are, but I don't like to see Fishburne praised for over a decade of hard work from dedicated writers and actors, viewing figures have dramatically dropped since he joined the show, I do not want Fishburne to leave per se, but I just want all the actors to have equal screen-time, its not a one-man show.

3. Desertwind

Well maybe contact the writers on this, it's their decision who they want to have the most screen time on ths show. I felt they all had equal time in the episode:cool: He was always with one of the other team members throughout, not ever alone~ so if they were with him then they had equal screentime:bolian:

4. Rizzoli

Rizzoli Lab Technician

Ray was in almost every scene, yes there were different people with him in each scene, but no other person was in almost every scene.

Again, I do blame the writers, but I can't help think Fishburne's "movie-star" ego has something to do with it not being an ensemble anymore. Petersen pushed for an ensemble show back in his day, maybe LF should be doing the same.

5. byline

byline CSI Level One

I disagree with this. I don't think Fishburne has anything to do with how much screen time he's given. I think it's a lot more complicated than that.

When Petersen announced that he was leaving, I think the network and powers that be panicked and thought they had to hire a "big name" from the industry in order to continue attracting large numbers of viewers. To that end, they hired Fishburne, someone with impressive film and stage credentials. They would feel the need to justify his salary by putting him to work, so they have. In the process, I think they forgot something that was so important to Petersen while he was there: that the ensemble was key to the show's success. I believe it was that initial panic, and the decision to hire a star rather than leaving the cast as is and developing the existing characters further, that led to this point.

6. Desertwind

See I think it is an ENSEMBLE, from the minute he entered the show, it was instant bonding, with all of them, a tad more with Nick, Doc, and Sara. They embraced him as one of their own, and he them They taught him the tricks of the trade in exchange he brought his expertise, and they shared with one another. That's one of the reasons I enjoy his character, how he's been a buddy/team member and a strong avocate to them all and them to him. That is an ENSEMBLE:bolian:

7. Robinjn

Robinjn Prime Suspect

The ratings numbers have been going down steadily since season 7 while WP was still there, except for season 9, which was WP's last season. To attribute the drop in viewing figures to Fishburne is not really fair. I think the drop in viewership is more due to an aging show and the departure of its stars, not because they made Fishburne the lead. Though I must admit, it would have been interesting to see how the show would have done had they not added a big name star. Personally, I think it would have done about the same. But we'll never know.

8. Desertwind

9. Rizzoli

Rizzoli Lab Technician

I am a HUGE Lis Harnois fan, I personally can't wait, although I don't see why they had to make Morgan Conrad's daughter

10. kabcsi

kabcsi Dead on Arrival

Well I'd have to agree with you on that one. The drops are do far more to Grissom leaving then it had to do with Fishbourne joining. In the first week after Grissom's departure, it dropped over four million viewers, and has dropped steadily since. But it does go to prove that Fishbourne's star power has actually not helped the show one bit, and disproves Deterwinds' thought that his presence has added "so much" to the show. The show HAS lost its ensemble appeal. When you have too much focus on one character and a lack of focus on the others then it does not feel like an ensemble. I don't think it is fishbournes fault though, but who he is does have influence over it.

However DESERTWIND, you should also learn a thing or two about respecting people who come one here. You are aware that there are few people on here who actually like that character, and constantly talking about how great he his is annoying. This is the spoiler section, not "Lets not talk about how great this character section is" but no matter how many times you are told that, you continually decide that it is alright to include how how much you love him in every spoiler post you put. I aslo think that you bringing your love for him up knowing that people are going to respond negatively, is asking for trouble. Its like cooking a dish on purpose for someone who you know does not like that dish over and over again. And as a a WP fan I get offended when you talk about Ray and Fishbourne you tend to mention that "I know people who have never heard about him (WP), except for this one movie" and the "show has more ensemble feel since fishbourne joined" (which is another way of saying since billy left)...these things can also be offensive but you don't mind saying them. But the first time someone mentions Ray (a fictional character) you flip.

Just saying

11. kabcsi

kabcsi Dead on Arrival

Left YOU transfixed. I, and im sure a lot of other people, were left bored. We've seen this before, for the last two and half seasons...Ray Show.

12. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I can't say I hate him,although I do much prefer the Grissom era, but I would like a bit more equality on screentime. I don't feel a need to complain, but at the same time, I can see different sides of the argument.

13. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

Just popping in to close this thread out. You can find PART 5 here.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2011
  14. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

kabcsi, please remember, double posting is discouraged as you have up to 24 hours to edit a post you've made and add content if no one has yet posted after you. If the edit time has passed, then you are free to post again directly after your previous post.

Also, to everyone...please leave it to the mods to address posters' behavior. If you have an issue with a post, hit the "Notify Mod" button on it and give your reason for reporting it and we will look into it.

If a particular poster bothers you in some way, you have the ability to put them on "ignore" so that you do not see their posts.

No one is going to like everything everyone else says, but as long as it's not breaking any of the Talk rules then they are allowed to say it. Again, if you feel you cannot read it without reacting to it, then put the poster on "ignore".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.