"Hitting for the Cycle" **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, Mar 25, 2011.

1. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

Wierd how, were you like me and thinking Kevin would be involved with Haskell and at first wasn't expecting him to die

2. Ipstenu

Ipstenu Police Officer Premium Member

Wait till we find out Sqweegl killed him ;) (I'm going to pretend all unsolved crimes are Sqweegel).

3. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

He pawned the trophy for $1,000 and used it to make payments up to date on the insurance policy that he had been behind on.

Ipecac (sp?) isn't actually a poison as such. It's main use is as an emetic i.e. it makes people vomit. Technically you couldn't actually kill somebody directly with it, because once they'd injest it, they'd end up throwing it up before it could actually kill them (not that I've ever tried it or anything...honest ;-)

4. Sinclair

Sinclair Rookie

Neat little episode, nice to have a light hearted one now and again, although the scene with Doc at the end was a bit odd and made me uncomfortable.

Brass was great, some brilliant lines.

Cath's reaction to Kevin (in fact everyone's reaction to Kevin.)

What i'd really like to know more about is this pill bottle......

5. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

Yes, Ipecac is not a poison, as was shown back in Fur & Loathing. It makes one vomit. Cath mentioned back in Fur & Loathing that she gave Ipecac once to Lindsey after she had swallowed moth balls.

6. TheDefence

TheDefence Victim

This was def one of the better episodes of the season. This episode highlights two things. One, Ray is totally unnecessary to the function of the team. Two, I know this has been said time and time again, but we need a new [blonde] female character. Someone cheerful. In other words, we need a Calleigh.

7. A. FineLabrats

A. FineLabrats Rookie

I don't get how Kevin's death was natural...didn't the sleeping pills cause his aneurism? So wouldn't that be accidental by way of pills?

8. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

He was taking Asprin and painkillers because he had a headache all day. He was actually having the start of the aneurysm and eventually died from it.

9. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Totally forgot to mention this, but I was SO GLAD when Doc Robbins corrected Catherine (or Sara?) about Mama Cass Elliot's death. She did NOT choke to death on a sandwich as is commonly thought. Thanks, Doc, for helping to dispel that myth! :thumbsup:

10. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Doc mentioned it to Catherine :)

11. A. FineLabrats

A. FineLabrats Rookie

I'm beginning to think the writers of CSI are not the best. I finally figured out why I didn't like this episode as much as others...and the best way I can explain it is by comparing it to another show. On NCIS they did sort of the same thing. Abby got an assistant for a few episodes, who turned out to be a bad guy. The problem with CSI's writers is that they're too heavyhanded. I suspect it's the same reason people didn't like Ray when he was first introduced. They just...write people in without giving them any background or grounding in reality, yet expect us to instantly 'get' the character and be on board. As a result, the characters feel sloppy and the audience can't relate to them. To introduce a twist like that, you have to build it up slowly. Abby's assistant was inserted innocuously, he was built up slowly over SEVERAL episodes, then BOOM, the twist was revealed. That's good writing. This Kevin guy was a bad attempt at a "shocking" ending. The problem is, the writers practically beat us over the head with how "obnoxious" this guy was and plunked him down in ONE episode to die at the end. Pathos requires time and effort, and the reward would've been ten times greater.

12. Ladybronco

Ladybronco Pathologist

I do see your point A. FineLabrats, about the amount of time to build the character. I enjoyed those NCIS episodes, and when Chip turned out to be the bad guy, it was definitely a surprise. The funny thing is they just brought him up again in this weeks episodes (a repeat from last Christmas actually). I guess that's why Chip was on my mind even before I saw your post. :lol: I didn't dislike this eppy, but it wasn't one of my favorites either. I enjoyed the interactions between everyone, but I didn't much care about the actual cases.

13. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Scheduled to repeat this Wednesday, 8/17. :)

14. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

I enjoyed this episode! Can't wait to watch it again.

15. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

Same here :)