NCIS - The new CSI?

Discussion in 'NCIS & NCIS: LA' started by Rizzoli, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Rizzoli

Rizzoli Lab Technician

the CSI franchise was once #1, it was CBS' top show, and the networks pride, but now, it seems NCIS (which I love) and NCIS: LA (which I love even more) have taken that position and CSI is lagging behind.

CSI seems to be getting worse with age, but NCIS seems to getting better... So, why does NCIS' audience grow as CSI's shrinks?

I personally think it is to do with the casts...

2. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

I don't watch NCIS a lot, but it hasn't lost many or had several major blows to its cast like CSI has, right?

Maybe even something to do with the writing?

(1) Like reusing a certain serial killer over and over and over and OVER

(2) Or making level one CSIs know it alls, and dumbing the others down

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  3. gsugirl

gsugirl Victim

NCIS is great! I really enjoy the shows and interaction with the casts. Mark Harmon portrays a "professional" but funny lead. Both shows have become my favorites! I still enjoy CSI NY, and CSI, but have grown weary of Miami.

4. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Eh, I ditched both NCIS months ago. They just bored me. CSI is still the best. The reason why NCIS is the number one drama right now is because the cast is still intact. But NCIS still never reached CSIs numbers. CSI had more appeal to younger viewers than NCIS.

But I'm going to check out NCIS again. I heard they are going to have a very interesting (international?) serial killer arc starting April 5.

5. ragincajun

ragincajun Prime Suspect

I've always liked both shows and their spinoffs, but the NCIS's are simply built to hold up better over the long haul. The CSI's are typical crime procedurals where the case is the star each week, while there is more character development on the NCIS's, which keeps viewers returning because they can identify with the characters and their storylines. To be honest, NCIS actually reminds me more of the old westerns like Gunsmoke and Bonanza than a typical crime drama.

6. Rizzoli

Rizzoli Lab Technician

If you would have asked me a few years ago I would have said that the NCIS' don't hold a candle to the CSI's, but now, if it came down to it I'd much rather watch NCIS to CSI any day.

For me its the casts, while the CSI casts are brilliant, there's something special about the chemistry the NCIS cast has... you can tell Mark, Michael, Cote, Pauley, David, Rocky, Lauren & Sasha are/were really good friends, and that shows on screen, its the same with the "LA" cast. CSI, CSI Miami and CSI NY don't have the sort of friendship that shows on screen.

7. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

Personally I'll take CSI over NCIS any day. I could never remember NCIS was on to actually watch it in any regular fashion (& don't even try to any more!). When you can't remember it's on you're not interested. I felt it was boring. I love Mark Harmon and have since St. Elsewhere but I can't connect with the rest of the cast or characters. With CSI the only person I'd ever heard of was Marg (from China Beach) but it was very easy to connect with cast and the characters. They were human and their faults were shown.

By the way, I love NCIS: LA but for totally a different reason - I love the action! (Which is the same reason I watch the new H5-O) I should also admit that in NCIS: LA I also really want to know what that "G" in G. Callen stands for! :lol:

Susan

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  8. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

It's weird seeing the ratings continue to grow for NCIS. I thought their last 'great' season was back in season 5 and was kind of peeved when they decided to kill off Lauren Holly's character. I still feel animosity towards Vance (does anybody even remotely care for him?) to this day. CSI isn't the groundbreaking show that it used to be, but it still churns out decent storylines and good character moments.

9. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

From about 20 episodes I watch, I agree about the special chemistry in the NCIS cast. CSIs might be the typical crime procedural shows but hey, many other shows were inspired by the franchise. If CSI wasn't received well 11 years ago and got cancelled, I wonder what type of TV shows we have right now.

10. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

I think that CSI is a lot better compared to NCIS!!!I have tried NCIS a few times but got bored within 10 minutes...CSI has also more interesting and diverse cases...NCIS is all about solving navy crimes...

11. Rizzoli

Rizzoli Lab Technician

IMO, episodes of NCIS which truly show its a lot better than CSI are "Kill Ari" and "A Man Walks into a Bar", when CSI lost Warrick he was just gone, but when NCIS lost Kate, she came back as the other characters grief-fueled-visions for 2 episodes, then in a Sasha-centric flashback episode almost 6 years later.

CSI has never had good continuity, really, neither have its spin-off shows.

12. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

NCIS is generally more light-hearted than most episodes of CSI, with more joking around between the team members. I like that (I also like Castle, which is even more light-hearted), but I also like the variety of cases in CSI.

NCIS has had cast changes too - they lost a major character after 2 seasons, and have had several different people as director.

I didn't mind him at first, but lately he's been annoying me a lot.

13. nikkic04

nikkic04 Victim

Totally agree with you..........I dont think i have ever sat thru a NCIS.

14. Hardline Pro

Hardline Pro Lab Technician

I do like NCIS, though I don't watch LA. But I do like CSI better. ;)

15. electra

electra Pathologist

I have always find NCIS fine but not a show that can hook me like CSI did.I like the chemistry between the characters and love Tony but the cases are not as interesting.CSI was something new and different.With time,both Miami and NY bore me from time to time but the original is still good.