9x16 - 'Hunting Ground' - **CONTAINS SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by FieldMouse, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

One thing I'd like to know is why Calleigh is still hiding behind the desks? Hasn't she had her kid by now?

2. rissarose

rissarose Rookie

Great episode. ARod was on the ball when he wrote this! (Maybe we should promote the entire cast to actor and writer!) He made some interesting choices in his direction as well... extreme camera angles and whatnot, it was all very distinct; it certainly looked like he had a good time playing with the technical toys!

As with the other episodes this season, I LOVED the team interaction. This is what I love seeing; they're not only colleagues, but friends who love to joke around and have a good time too!

Doesn't it usually take a while for a woman's stomach to go back down after she's given birth? Considering EmProc went immediately back to work, my guess is she's still got a bit of a bump.

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Hit and Run

Yeah, Emily had her baby by C-section too, so it takes a little longer for the bump to go away.

I LOVED this episode, Adam should be proud of himself! I loved the creepiness of the story, I thought it was funny that Ryan let Nat climb up in the tree stand, if he had gone up in the tree then he wouldn't have gotten the leach on his leg. lol I loved Eric and Walter speaking spanish and french, " Hey needle, this is haystack!" funny.

I hope they let Adam do more episodes in the future, he really has a great feel for the characters and what it takes to keep them true to themselves. Maybe he can educate some of TPTB on how to do that!!!!!

Great Job Adam!!!!

4. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

Overall, a really great episode. Definitely the best this season so far (for me, at least).

LOVED how Adam gave Rex some more to work with. I adore Frank, he is adorable, and did not disappoint in this episode.

Also really liked Ryan- I never disliked him, but this season, now that they've stopped making him the guy-who-does-everything-wrong, I'm really starting to like him even more.

Walter speaks French? What a neat idea! I'm not French, nor do I speak any beyond hello/goodbye/please/thank you/yes/no/s**t, so I can't accurately judge his language abilities, but Omar seemed to really get it down well, especially if Walter is supposed to be a non-native speaker, but very strong at it.

Adam definitely did a great job with regards to screen time- only person who I felt didn't get enough was Calleigh, but that's excusable, since this was Emily's first episode back and I know she takes baby Pippa to work with her. Breastfeeding should definitely help Emily to lose some of the weight, and it also helps to shrink the uterus back to the usual, non-occupied size.

One of the things I liked about this episode was for the first time in a long while, Horatio seemed less patronizing when it came to the victims. When he told Enrique's wife and daughter about his fate, he came off much less as "you poor, helpless women NEED my help!" and more "I'm so sorry for your loss, I'll do everything I can to fulfill your wish and the interests of justice to catch this guy". And I also liked how he seemed just as concerned for Jean and Henri as he was for Enrique's wife and daughter. Especially in the end, when he made sure Jean was the one to return the locket and didn't do it himself.

I completely agree- it really didn't bother me. The guy got what he deserved without going too far and actually killing him. Plus, this is a TV show, and I'm okay that there are some things that wouldn't fly in real life, or would cause repercussions can go unpunished. If it's something blatantly obvious like "SWAT should be here" or "don't touch those rocks without gloves on!", then it's ridiculous. But a human reaction like this is okay with me.

5. ladyjr8

ladyjr8 Police Officer

yeah for the team on screen time-felt we got a good glimpse into everybody really working this case. Didn't have a problem with H getting shotgun showdown with the old guy esp. since he flat out lied when they first questioned him..I noticed too that Horatio seemed very conerned and showed empathy for the widow & child as well as the 2 brothers..good storytelling and directing Adam-keep up the good work! will look forward to more from him..

6. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

I thought this was a pretty good episode; Adam did a good job directing some interesting and fresh angles that we don't often see. I think my favourite of the scenes were when they stormed the house (finding the mother and child).

The end of the episode where the brothers reunited was a great way to connect the audience with the victims and I didn't feel so disconnected from their trauma (as opposed to the elite victims/killers high in their South Beach ivory towers). It was nice to see an underbelly of Miami that took us away from the suburbs.

Some of the lines were a little cheesy--Natalia yelling "Dirt Bag", for example, but overall I thought Adam tackled the writing really well.

7. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Good writing and direction by Adam:bolian: How horrible hunting down humans. These people are really sickos:confused: Natalia was as always good and so beautiful. Ryan too. The last scene with Horatio and the creep making him beg for his life riveting. And the two brothers reuniting, and him smilling nice touch;)

8. city hunter

city hunter Rookie

I liked this episode, a lot! It was a great story and had a very good ending. Everyone did a fantastic job, especially Ryan and Natalia.

Congratulation Adam Rodriguez, great job! :thumbsup:

9. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

All in all, this was a great first episode for Adam. You could feel for the victims and everyone got a fair amount of screen time. I felt like I was watching the CSI Miami of old.

10. snowbunny

snowbunny Hit and Run

It was nice seeing something other than the High and Mighty of Miami as the victims. That is something that they really need to work on, make the people easier to relate to. It would be nice if they focused on the people that know what it's like to live paycheck to paycheck, instead of the greedy CEO's trying to get richer by stepping on their backs.

11. jean10brook

jean10brook Hit and Run

Excellet job Adam! I expected nothing less. I really liked the episode and everyone has already pretty much said it all.

However, the only thing I would add is that for me personally, I liked the funny scenes with Ryan and Nat, but I just don't care for Nat being so aggressive and wish she would pull it back a bit. She never used to be that way and so I find it odd for her character that she has been getting more and more aggressive.

Loved Calleigh's funny line about the arrow and it was really nice to see her and Eric in a scene together. Although nothing was discussed about their relationship, which was fine and would not have been appropriate during the scene, it was very apparent with their smiles that they are obviously getting along well, as co-workers, which gives me a subtle hint that their relationship is probably fine too. I do wish Calleigh would have had more screen time. I kinda wonder why they are not having her doing any of the interrogations where she can sit behind the table. Seems odd to me, but hopefully, we will get lot's more of her soon.

Adam will be writing and directing an episode in Season 10, so I can't wait to see that one as well. Way to go, Adam!

12. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I've known people in law enforcememnt that become more assertive the longer they are in law enforcement,or as they gain confidence.That's what I see in Natalia, gaining confidence.There are situations(and careers) that bring out assertiveness.It's very appropriate to change after a few years, all of the characters are different or have changed in some way from where they started.

Maybe there is still some coordinating going on with new motherhood. Emily did return to the show on the last day of filming the episode. She also mentioned thinking about feeding her daughter during the scene where she was shooting the bow.She stated she got it in one shot and then fed Pippa.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  13. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

Worst Episode Ever!!

Nah I'm just kidding. I enjoyed this episode and I thought it was nice of Adam to step aside and give his fellow cast members some time to shine especially Rexx (Orchids?)

One thing I don't think anyone mentioned was a small nod to previous episodes when Ryan mentions his encounters with wildlife. When He and Nat started talking about the animals, I wanted him to mention the bear incident and he did to some degree.

The person who wrote this must be a Batman fan. Horatio questioning "Nic Cage" and the main villain are very Batman'esque. The Batmobile quip was another reason.

Am I the only one who wished that when Horatio pulled the trigger either
    a)A flag with the word BANG!! popped out or
    b)The gun was an oversized water gun.

The ending with the guy celebrating was the best

Rating 4/5

14. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

Wow! I never expected much from Adam Rodriguez. I owe the man an apology! This is as close to the vintage Miami as I've seen in a very, very long time.

Subtle things like Tom handing off evidence to other techs. Don't think I've seen that since the early years. He was also using more scientific terms.

Delko's speaking Spanish again. :eek: How long has it been?

When Walter made his screen debut, he said he was from Louisiana. Go deep into Cajun country, and many don't speak any English. It's possible that a lieutenant can be multilingual in Miami. There's more than just Spanish spoken in the Caribbean islands.

I too appreciate seeing normal people. Adam really captured the down-to-earth, dark side of Miami, rather than the shiny condo, nip/tucked Star Island types that many of us are sick of.

I think part of that too is because she's being given more and more to work with.

Looks like Eric and Calleigh are back to a brother/sister relationship. They're much better that way.

Thankfully Molly Sloan was nowhere to be found. As far as I know, she had no real purpose except to flirt with Ryan. Michael Travers is a much better character.

I've missed that about the show as well.

Hope Adam will do more like this. Made a believer out of me! :thumbsup:

15. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

I wasn't so sure what to expect, and I was pleasantly surprised by last night's episode. It was an interesting one - definitely harkening back to the "vintage" Miami days (the leaches reminded me of Season 1's "Camp Fear," when H used saline to remove the leech from Cal's leg, and it ended up being an important part of the plot, kind of like here.)

Not so sure I was "wowed" by it, but that was probably b/c I knew the plot before I saw the show. It was good to see the humanity of the victims and bring back the "kinder, gentler" Horatio w/the family - you could tell it was true empathy. Also really liked the banter between Ryan and Nat - it's been so awesome to see those two develop their characters individually and as friends. I can remember back to the days when Ryan would treat her horribly b/c she was the mole - now he's teasing her with "Needle, this is haystack" :lol: - look how far they've come! (For me, that was the best line in the whole episode). :bolian:

It was great to see more Frank, and to have him so angry-confused over the "orchids" thing - I love frank! :thumbsup: Glad Travers was back, too, though I missed the stubble...and I loved the ending w/the two brothers - again, very "old school" episode - if this is what Adam likes to write, I'd definitely give him another gig! :thumbsup:

Also nice to see Cal getting back into things - hopefully her and Delko are back to just being good friends. There are plenty of people who try to date, but when it doesn't work out they can still be good friends. I would think Eric and Cal could do that, just like Eric and Nat did. Looking forward to seeing more of Cal, b/c that one scene didn't do her justice - I miss her compassion w/the victims, and I think she still has good chemistry w/most of the team.

Adam did a really nice job writing for all the characters, and I too noticed he was having fun w/all the different camera angles and technology - he had some nice shots in there :)

One thing I really didn't like was the scene where Ryan was holding down the guy while H heated up that fork thing - ENOUGH w/the badass Horatio :scream: - and I was disappointed to see Ryan being dragged into it. :shifty: