eReaders-What's your Thoughts

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Yes you need an internet connection. You can get two different versions of the Kindle that I have. The one without 3G connection, you would just connect to your own WI-FI at home, or you can get the Kindle with 3G connection.

If you pay for your internet as you use it then yes you would be paying more but if you have a monthly payment it's no difference than surfing the net. Let me know if you want to chat further on this and we can do a Yahoo one of these days :)

2. greatfan

greatfan Captain

With 3G,you just download. The last time I was at the airport,someone had a book I was interested in. I put the title in and downloaded right there.

3. Jacquie

I'm currently looking at Amazon's site as I'm thinking of getting meself something to read :) and this is what it says:

since it's free download for me I can't see why it wouldn't be for you. You're not international the last time I look. Unless your state has decide to leave the group and come join us but then that would still give you free wireless delivery :lol: :D

4. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

If you get an iPad without the 3G network (but they're all 3G capable, if I remember correctly) and simply wireless internet, there's no monthly fee. You use your own internet connection at home like you would connect any new laptop or device. The only problem with that is you can't browse around the city unless they have free wifi areas (Starbucks and the like).

I bought my mother a 32gig wireless iPad last August and it came with the free ibooks app. It's definitely convenient if you want some of the classics (The Time Machine, War and Peace, Pride and Prejudice to name a few) as they're often free.

Also, though the iPod touch isnt exactly an 'e-reader', it does have the same technology as the iPad so the ibooks app comes with it as well. It might be pretty tiny, but it's still very readable to me. One of the reasons I went with an iPod touch instead of an iPad for myself is because I could pretty well use it for the same thing, but for a lesser price. I just need to get off my duff (or on? :lol:) and read more.

5. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

If you get an ipad that's wifi you don't pay for internet connection, but you have to be at a wifi hot spot to use it. Now if you're at home, you won't pay anything extra because you're already paying for internet. :lol:

But it is my understanding that if you buy anything with 3G you will have to pay a monthly fee as you need a provider for that. Which is why you have to pay extra with the smart phones.

6. greatfan

greatfan Captain

^^
    I don't pay a monthly fee for Kindle with 3G.

7. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

I just started using ibooks on my iphone.

thanks for all the info everyone! :D

8. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

My Kindle has 3G and wifi. I don't pay any daily, weekly or monthly fees. All I pay is the cost of the Kindle edition of a book when I order a book for my Kindle at amazon.com. You can buy Kindle gift cards for $25 or $50 at Best Buy. Then go the "your account" link in the top right corner of amazon.com after you sign in by entering your email address and password you created when you started the account, scroll down to where it says "apply a gift card to your account", click on it then type in the number under the silver scratch-off coating on the back of the card and...PRESTO...you now have either $25 or $50 to spend on Kindle books and other stuff at amazon.com. After you use it up it'll charge it to your credit card or take it out of your debit card's bank account. If you have more than one card on file at amazon.com, it'll take it out of which ever one is selected as your primary one-click payment card. I just purchased a $25 Kindle card today at Best Buy cause my gift card balance is getting low.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  9. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

I usually read paperbacks - hardcovers are way too heavy! :lol: With the PDA, I think the problem was more hand position than weight. Books are easy to hold along the spine, but PDA/eReader is flat. I still want one though. :)

From what I've read, the cost of the network is covered by the 3G Kindle being more expensive than the non-3G, so there's no additional monthly fee.

Does the Kindle have any sort of wired connection (to computer or network), or is it strictly wireless?

10. greatfan

greatfan Captain

The 3G Kindle is about 50.00 dollars more. I participated in a health incentive at work,received a 200.00 dollar gift certificate,and paid nothing out of pocket.It was a great deal for me.
    The Kindle is strictly wireless,at least the 3G is.

11. Jacquie

the non3G is totally wireless.

One great advantage to the Kindle or any eReader is the book will never be out of stock :) Also one author I enjoy just released her newest book for the eReader market first. Paper addition will follow in about 4 weeks. I've already read the book :)

12. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

Raynn,
    My 3G plus wifi Kindle is wireless. The only time I have hook any wires to it is when I get the low battery message on the screen. I hook the charger that came with it to the Kindle, plug the charger in to the wall outlet, let it charge 2 or 3 hours and the Kindle is ready to go again.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  13. luf100

luf100 Coroner

My mom has one called a Kobo. It came pre-loaded with like one hundred classic books. So far though, she hasn't bought or rented any good books that she wants to read. I dunno why. I haven't used it either.

I would recommend an eReader if you travel a lot (then you have a bunch of books with you that you don't have to lug around), or if you don't have any room wherever you live to put real books. But for me, I would much rather read real books. I like the feeling of them, I like owning a bunch of physical books that I can like, show off. I like the covers of them, I like the fact that you can read two pages instead of just one and then having to turn the page. :lol:

I dunno, for me I'd rather just buy an actual book.

14. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

I dont have an e reader and dont have any intention of getting one. For one I dont really read a great deal, but when I do, as Luf said, I like to have the real thing, Knowing that there is not going to be some technical glitch that loses the whole thing. Plus I dislike reading things on screens, I can only be on computers for short bursts and i think these ebook things would be the same for me.
    And as I work in a library I am rather biased against anything that is taking work away from me!

15. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

Well I decided to get an Ipad. I put a deposit down on one over the weekend. I can use the ibooks or kindle app with it and read away!