Nick Fic Song Challenge Thread #2- Ch #20- "Save Me From Myself"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Smokey, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Re: Nick Fic Song Challenge Thread #2- Ch #18-"What It's Like"

If no one objects then, I'll put the stories up tomorrow. :)

2. KFK

KFK Witness

Hey, tomorrow, Tuesday or Wednesday is fine with me. Everyday life throws curve balls. I'm all good with a delay. Have at it Speedy, and good luck with your story! :)

Take Care,

Kelli

3. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Hi everyone:

I have spent the past two weeks writing a sixty page paper. I'm sorry.

4. KFK

KFK Witness

Oh my gosh MyFutureCSi, make no apologies. Real-life always take precedence, whether that be school or job. No matter what...those are most important. If you can't post a story for this challenge, you'll post one for the next or the one after. So be it.

IMO, do what must be done, don't sweat a Nick song-fic. The best laid intentions are often interupted by the practical efforts of life.

That being said, if you happen to have time, leave a review and a few words of encouragement for the others in the Nick song-fic community. I know they'd appreciate it.

Hope all is well with you, and everything settles down soon for you. Good luck in your endeavors! :)

Take Care,

Kelli

5. Smokey

Nick Fic Song Challenge
    Round 18

[​IMG]

Ladies and gentlemen, presenting round 18 of the Nick Fic Song Challenge! Thanks to everyone who participated! :)

Here are a few guidelines for reading and reviewing:

1. Remember, for now the stories are anonymous. Please do not reveal which story you wrote. We will unveil the authors next Sunday, March 13.

2. Story authors/participants - Please leave feedback for each story. That's why we're doing this...so we can learn from each other and improve as we go along. And because this is anonymous for now, please remember to leave some feedback for your own story too. :)

3. Lurkers - You are most welcome to read and review the stories too! We just ask that you follow and respect the guidelines here as well. The exception is that you may leave reviews for as few or as many stories as you like. (Authors - Please do not take offense if a lurker reviews only one or two stories or does not review yours.)

4. Please make your feedback as positive and constructive as possible. Constructive means that it's meant to be helpful and it's said in a nice way. There will be zero tolerance for meanness here from anyone.

5. Please try to make your feedback a little more than just "Good job" or "Nice story". We all look forward to hearing some thoughtful input on our work. :) And for now let's focus on the content of the story more so than the format, grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc. For some people this is their first fic and/or English may not be their first language, and those are all things that a good beta could fix if this weren't a challenge. :)

6. Feedback should be posted here in this thread and can be done all in one post or in several posts.

7. Remember, we aren't voting for favorites on this or anything. We're just reading, reviewing, and enjoying! :)

8. Attention readers! Feedback posts will probably contain spoilers. If you do not want to be spoiled, do not read the feedback until after you read the stories.

And now, what you've all been waiting for...round 18 of the Nick Fic Song Challenge! Click on the "What's It Like" link on the left to read the stories.
    [​IMG]

Note: If you see an error in your story or any problems on the page, please PM Smokey ASAP.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  6. KFK

KFK Witness

Nice work everyone, it was a pleasure to read your stories. :thumbsup:

“What’s it Like” I really enjoyed this story. I liked Nick’s honesty and bluntness when speaking to the students. He brought up very good points about doing the job, but without being too graphic. I would like to see some version of this included in the show, it would show what a great teacher Nick has become. Loved the comment about lemons at the end…EEK…I can’t imagine how bad decomp must be…EEK one more time for good measure. Excellent job on this story, a good read. :)

“Freemont Street Experience” Another story I really enjoyed. I could see this as an excerpt from the show, but obviously from back in the day vs. recent or future. I always loved the interaction between Warrick and Nick, they could torment the hell out of each other, but don’t let someone else try it. Nick taking the chance on helping the beggar out, and Warrick scoffing his attempt was exactly how they would’ve behaved. And, Warrick having to eat his words by the end of the story was priceless. I loved the story, and an excellent job. :)

"I Will Not Bend” This was an interesting take on the song, though I admit, I prefer a story over a poem…Sorry. I liked how it’s done in the first person, and that it seems to be Nick’s thoughts after a difficult shift. It was definitely a different take on the song-fiction challenge. Good job. :)

Thanks for writing your stories.

Take Care,

Kelli

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  7. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

Great stories - as always, I love seeing how the different directions one song can be taken.

What's It Like - This is a great look at how Nick feels about his job. I love that he can balance the bad with the good, and still feels that it's worth doing. Lemons. :lol:

Freemont Street Experience
    - You've captured the friendship/rivalry between Nick and Warrick really well. I like Nick's attitude about giving, and how Warrick comes around in the end.

8. Sookie

Sookie CSI Level One

Another great round of stories. Can't wait to see who wrote them.

9. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

What's It Like - This was different. Nick being in a classroom full of future CSIs. I think Nick would make a great teacher as he's already show that on the show. You captured that even though this job has its down falls, it has many good things too. And that all his stories and advice come down to lemons. :) Best piece of advice, if you ask me. ;)

Fremont Street Experience - Wow this was a really good story. Really good. I loved that it was with Nick and Warrick. I could see this playing out. You've captured their friendship perfectly. Nick always has a big heart and though he was disappointed that the guy just bought alcohol, I think Nick knew, really knew that was what the guy was going to do, but hoped he was wrong.

It was very touching how the guy came into the cafe and apologized to Nick for letting him down. Maybe, just maybe there's hope for this guy. I really liked how Warrick came around in the end and let the guy have breakfast with them. Nick is definitely rubbing off on him. ;)

I Will Not Bend - Well, hasn't Nick gotten poetic. :) This is a very interesting take on the song. How you captured everything Nick has been through and now he may be blown up. It's like this is what he was thinking when he was at his house waiting for Kip to disarm the bomb. And that he's praying that he makes it through this because he's been through so much already. More like when is it finally going to stop.

I will not bend, no I don't see Nick ever doing that. He hasn't yet. Nice job!

10. Smokey

Thanks again to all of the participants this round! :)

What It's Like - Oh, Nick would be such a great teacher! I'd like to see more of this...maybe even teaching younger kids like a science class or something. :) Very original idea and presented very well!

Fremont Street Experience - I like the way Warrick and Nick's friendship is portrayed here and also the way that the story of the beggar intersects with the case that they are working on. The ending might be a little abrupt, perhaps the curse of the word limit? ;)

I Will Not Bend
    - Wow! Very beautifully written...very expressive with lots of great imagery. Upon the first reading I didn't get a sense of Nick out of it, but another look through and it became very clear. I like this expression of the way he views his life and the things that have happened to him. Nice job!

11. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Sorry, you all :( I haven't been there for a while... my last couple of weeks were pretty stressful with moving and working on my thesis I can't seem to get done :( Sadly the damn thesis thing will continue to use up all my freetime after work till middle of April... but I thought I would take a minute or two review the latest stories :)

I wasn't able to write one this time and might not be able to write one for the next (depends on when Smokey will put it up ;)) but after that I'm free to do what I want with my freetime! Yay :D

Okay... onto the stories then...

What's It Like

Lovely idea! That would be something I'd like to have on the show... or at least a mention of Nick giving classes or something because I can totally see him do something like this :)

You know Speedy... you always rat yourself out with your stories :lol: You have such a unique way to write I would always know which story is yours :)

You always get the facts right and just know about all the things the CSI characters went through (especially Nick)... you always know when things happened and are able to include the exact event into your stories without any talking around. You write in your own very Speedylike way :lol:

I often told you before that the only thing I always miss in your fics is the insight into what Nick might be feeling in certain situations... it would help the readers understand better why Nick is acting the way you let him act in your stories :)

But you really write into character... you just know what Nick would do and what not and that makes your stories always a nice read :thumbsup:

Freemont Street Experience

This is Mom's! :D And well what can I say... I knew it ;)

Your stories always give a message to the reader... they are more then just a drabble or something that helps you pass time... they always make me think, not just about Nick (I sure do think about him a lot ;) ) but about what you wanted to give us readers :)

I really enjoy reading the conversations you create between the characters... you are able to write them just the way we get to see them on tv every week. They could just as well be written for an episode :)

I know I have been a lousy reviewer on your multi chapter fic (which is an excellent read!) but I promise not to forget about it and come back to it once I have my desk free of all the stuff I have yet to do :) In my opinion a good story deserves a good review and lately I never found the time to review either yours or other peoples stories :(

For this one... you wrote in your review to it that you think the ending was too abrupt... well... I don't think so. It works just fine... since well... on the show we also often get abrupt endings that leave us wondering. In your story it adds to the message you wanted to give us and makes us think about it even more ;)

Great job :thumbsup:

I Will Not Bend

This one was just beautiful, Kelli! :) I really like your storyidea!

You're one of the writers who are able to surprise me every time with something new. You think outside the box... and write stories no one ever thinks about writing.

You're a very creative writer with lots of deep thoughts. The things you write aren't made for everyone... they're made for people who are actually able to 'read' them. You show that a fic who never once mentioned the word 'Nick' can be a Nickfic as well as one that does :)

You often critisize yourself too much about what you write... you write just fine! Listen to what your reviewers tell you and what the might give you as an advice and everything will be fine :)

Believe me, I never forget about your more chapter fic... just like with Smokey's fic... I just couldn't really get to read and review it lately :( But I will! Big promise :D

Well done on this one, Kelli :thumbsup:

12. Smokey

Thanks to everyone who reviewed. It is much appreciated by the authors!! :) And Stef, we're looking forward to reading more from you, so get to work on that thesis! ;)

Well, now that we know who wrote what, let's make it official. :lol:

What's It Like - Speedystokesgirl
    Fremont Street Experience - Smokey
    I Won't Bend - KFK

The authors are now free to post their stories elsewhere if they like and also post a little bit here about how you came up with the story. :)

As for me, I struggled with how the bum would "redeem" himself in Warrick's and Nick's eyes. Most of my ideas were ridiculous. :lol: And then somewhere in the middle of writing it just came naturally...that it would be simple, and then the breakfast idea came to mind.

I tried hard to stick to facts here about Fremont as well, and the cafe is real, as is the Gambler's Special breakfast that Nick ordered on Warrick's dime. :lol:

The ending...I was definitely watching my word count and probably would have added a few more things...maybe not big actions, but set the scene a little more, but I think it stands as is pretty well so I will probably not change it when I put it on FF.net, but we'll see. :)

Thanks again to those who participated! :) I'm in the mood to write more, so I will probably put another challenge up soon...maybe by the end of the week.

13. KFK

KFK Witness

I'd like to say there was some moving emotional moment that led me to write my little story...I'd like to say that...but basically I have no idea how it happened. I just started playing around with words and phrases, and it came together. It was a happy little accident, I guess. :lol:

Again, I loved the other two stories, thank you for writing Speedy and Smokey. Excellent work as always. :thumbsup:

Take Care All,

Kelli

14. Smokey

Anyone up for another one? I am! :D

Next person to post after me, pick a number...1 or 2. :)

15. KFK

KFK Witness

I pick number two. :) Good luck everyone. :)