CSI missing its flair?

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by ComicCollect_NL, Feb 18, 2011.

?

Would the show be back to basic with a character similar to Grissom?

Poll closed Mar 20, 2011.
  1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    92.9%
  1. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

Re: CSI missing its flair

Whether or not Grissom is still around shouldn't affect how much we liked him for the 9 seasons he was there. He was a great character, brought to life wonderfully, and we can enjoy that memory (or watch it on DVD :)).

I added to the 'no' votes for the same reasons everyone else has said - Grissom was unique, and trying to copy him would just be wrong. If there's a void, then it should be filled with other characters with their own unique personalities.

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I also voted no and I agree with everyone else who said that Grissom was unique and I wouldn't have wanted a clone on the show. Besides all of Grissom's team that he had spent years with have a little of Grissom's influence in them. That's enough for me. I don't want someone else just like Grissom on the show. I'm glad Ray's different. If Ray had been just like Grissom, it would have been kind of boring I think.

I think in that particular scene, Natalie had gone off in her own little world and was tuning everyone else out and Grissom pretty much had to yell to get her attention. It's like if someone has headphones on or is too involved in the tv/computer game, etc and you say their name normally a couple of times and they don't answer, so then you say it a little louder and louder and louder until they finally hear you and answer you. That's how that scene seemed to me. But that's just my interpretation.

3. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

We were discussing Grissom and his faults and flaws while being the supervisor in charge of this fabulous team. He was indeed "unique" but flawed in his handling people and their emotions. And he also had a "short fuse" & on "flair" UM, sometimes when he wanted to but not consistent. He was so interested in his bugs and fetal pigs and spiders etc. that he rarely took the time to delve into his peoples concerns. Some of his bad personailty quirks were Impatient, demanding, intolerant, indifferent, insulting, self-righteous, neglectful, distant, demanding and cold. His positive qualities, kind, giving, loving, gentle sweet, caring, considerate. But when he left the team were all inconsolable, and in deep despair, The all learned so much from him to Nick "you were my best student" and on an on. Only one Grissom ever and his looks OMG gorgeous:p:adore:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  4. ComicCollect_NL

ComicCollect_NL Witness

Grissom impatient? He may have his moments, but I won't describe him as an impatient person. At least not in a general point of view.

5. byline

byline CSI Level One

I also voted "no" in the poll. Hubby and I first started watching "CSI" because of William Petersen (we're longtime "Manhunter" fans). Plus, the forensics concept -- and the eye it gave us into the victims, criminals and investigators -- was so unique at that time that we felt compelled to watch the very first episode, and have been watching ever since. Petersen is a gifted actor, Grissom a unique character. Neither one can truly be replaced in the "CSI" universe.

Lawrence Fisburne has been a good addition to the cast, but it seems like the TPTB are still figuring out who they want him to be. That's the difference between introducing a new character and having characters who were together from the get-go; all their characteristics, and the group dynamics, were established in the very beginning. Taking out a beloved character and introducing a new one -- even a good one -- takes some adjustment on everyone's part. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

For me, the show began to lose its luster a bit during Season 5. We were getting more interpersonal conflict, and many of the episodes seemed to have a voyeuristic tone, rather than an empathetic one. But especially when the writers began going the predictable TV route of putting the main characters in danger, you know they're running out of ideas. That, for me, is why the show has lost a lot of its flair (even though we're still watching, and still enjoying many of the episodes ... just not as consistently as we used to).

I also agree that the "CSI" spin-offs (and other shows of a similar nature) have made the mothership seem less unique, even though it's the reason all the rest came into being.

6. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I voted no too....there can be only one Grissom :)

I want to keep watching, but Mom and I both miss him, and I can't get as happy about the show as I did while he was on, save with "Two Mrs. Grissoms".

7. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

What came to mind while I was typing his good and bad qualities is one time [forget ep.] when Greg came in to talk to him and he goes, "Is this going to be a short story or a novel" that's being impatient, like hurry up, he didn't like to be interrupted when he was busy. And he was always impatient with Hodges:(

8. gilsgal

gilsgal Lab Technician

I vote No also, for the exact same reasons. Grissom was one of a kind, and Billy's way of bringing him to life can never..nor should ever be replicated.

I have had a very difficult time watching, even though I keep trying.
    It seems that since Grissom left, CSIs have become more like police officers;kicking down doors, going to places without police back-up. Seems very New York or Miami to me now.

Billy wanted Grissom to be flawed...and not always the hero because to him that made Grissom more real and interesting.

I always thought that Grissom wasn't so much impatient, but more, he didn't suffer fools gladly. His main focus was solving the crime, and he just didn't understand frivolity.
    As for Hodges, he was irritating back then; nobody liked him. As seasons went on there became much more of a calm acceptance, on Grissom's part, of Hodges' hero worship, once Hodges wasn't kissing a** so much.

It seems that you have forgotten who played Hodges' game with him (Grissom) and also of Grissom's leniency when he found Hodges in his office, in his chair, and with one of the miniatures. Yes, Hodges did find the connection between all the miniatures, but that wouldn't have mattered a bit, if someone like Ecklie was head of the team.

Grissom also went to bat numerous times for his team. He might not have got the cost of living forms done on time, but if your butt was on the line, his team knew that he would be there to take the heat for them.

Grissom liked his team to learn through their mistakes. He very seldom said, "I told you so". I always remember his handling of Nick after Nick had talked about "murder central" to a friend of his and it ended up on the news. Grissom knew about it, but didn't say anything, other than to ask Nick why the killer might have changed his Mo. Lesson learned in a very quiet but effective way.

OK, I'm going to go on forever, so let's just say that we agree to disagree.