"Targets of Obsession" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, Feb 11, 2011.

1. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Maybe I should've phrased it differently, but a CSI should know that their life, just like a police officer or detective, is going to be on the line. Whether it be at home, in the field, or at the office.

2. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Strangely enough I thought Greg was a main character. He has been in the main title credits since season 3. He's been on the show since the beginning, in case you forgot.

And just the same you are never happy when an episode does focus on Greg (which only happens once every 4 years) and not Nick.

In any case, I am free to have my opinion and I just was not thrilled with this episode. Maybe if they had less of the Haskell storyline it would have been more interesting but I have completely lost interest in that storyline. They've beaten that dead horse over and over again.

3. Otie

Otie Hit and Run

::grins:: My Mom and I both rather enjoyed the end of Bieber's character.

I'd kinda like to see that woman end up doing away with Haskell... that'd be a nice end to his storyline.

4. NHRFan

NHRFan Coroner

Only episode I like it Nick/Vartaan/Catherine/Kip. I was hoping Kip didn't get killed. I like him.

I didn't like the end because the woman is dumb to believe Haskell. She will get killed. Haskell make the women believe him, he is innoence, but he is not.

I can understand Nick getting angry. He is getting tired of someone attacking him all the time. Catherine always take care of Nick and now it Nick's turn to take care of Catherine.

5. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Peace everyone..there's a lot of crap in the world that's worse than whether Greg or Nick are at the forefront of an episode.

I used to care a lot but lately, I've come to realize it's just a show.

6. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

I don't forget that Greg is in the opening credits or that he was a recurring character before, HOWEVER that doesn't make him a main character or a lead. Saying main character maybe the wrong choice of words. Which he is not, in case you're forgotten.

By what you say, then Doc and Super Dave should get their episodes too. And so should have Wendy.

Being in the opening credits has nothing to do whether your a lead or a supporting character.

Oh and the only episode that featured Greg I didn't really care for as AKBF. So that would be one episode and not every episode he was featured.

As you say, I'm entitled to my opinion just like you are.

And I totally agree with you on the Haskell storyline.

That may be, but when there is constant complaining about his screen time, in the spoiler thread, in the pic thread or anyone where else it can be discussed, it gets old. I'm sorry, but Greg is a supporting character so he won't get much screen time. At some point you have to realize that, just like us Nick fans had to deal with it. So considering there was already complaining about his screen time before the ep even aired, I think I can safely say it's because of Greg's lack of screen time.

Does it suck when your favorite character doesn't get more screen time, it sure does, but Petersen isn't there anymore and he always made sure the cast was treated as an ensemble. Tptb seem to have forgotten that.

Now as for Nick being a CSI. CSI's in Vegas are civilians they are not cops or law enforcement so they shouldn't expect their lives to constantly be on the line. And after everything that has happened to Nick, he has the right to be pissed.

In any case, I forgot to mention that I loved the scene in the hospital between Nick and Catherine. How he said that she always takes care of him, let him take care of her now. That was sweet.

And we got to see Nick's home. :D

And Haskell escaping. :rolleyes: So ridiculous. They go just by his wristband? :lol: He's a well know serial killer and they can't recognize him? :rolleyes:

Did Doc Robbins lose weight? Hmmm.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  7. rabidfan

rabidfan Victim

Oh, my. I've been away for four years. I'd forgotten how 'riled up' fans can get!

As I said, I've missed some shows (not four years worth, but some!) so I must ask...

When did Greg start carrying a gun? Last I saw he didn't use one and in this episode he's there with a 9mm just like Nick. When did that happen???

8. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

Didn't watch the Ray/Haskell part. Really wish I could have avoided the Bieber part as well.

As for the rest:
    as many of the CSI-in-peril plots that they've done through the past 6 seasons, this was probably the most enjoyable. I really wish they wouldn't have killed off Kip, the bomb guy. I really liked him. He had a great sense of humor that rivaled Cath, Nick & even Lou.

the rest of my review can be found here

A question to throw out there:
    We know Brass was pissed at Cath when she got Haskell out of prison to help with a case. Will he continue to be pissed at her now that Haskell is loose, or will he be (rightly) pissed at Ray for being a bonehead and getting stabbed by Haskell in the cell and eventually ending up in court, to which led to Haskell's eventual escape? Just a thought.

ETA:
    Try telling that to the CSI writers, please! They seem to be the ones who don't know that particular detail - at least since the first four seasons. They are, however, employed by the LVPD.

9. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Actually, it's the LVMPD. Why the show doesn't put the M in, is truly beyond me. They are employed by them, but they're still civilians with no police powers.

Where I live the CSI's are actually cops with forensic duties, which is how it is in a lot of places.

I don't mind the CSIs in peril. I think it makes you more invested in the show. :)

But yeah, they're lives wouldn't be that much on the line and I think Nick was wrong, he has about 7 or six lives left.

Sara and Greg should have about 8 lives left, Brass too.

I'm with you on Kip. I really liked him too. Figures they finally get a sex MALE bomb expert and poof, he's gone. :lol: He was good looking, though. :drool:

10. Blinded By Smoke

Blinded By Smoke Pathologist

I agree with you! The only difference is I was expecting a little more.... I did enjoy the last scene, with Greg and Nick, except for the fact we still have no explanation for Greg carrying a gun. TPTB and their faulty plot holes! :rolleyes:

Over all, the episode was one of my least favorite this season. It was OKAY, I didn't HATE it, but like Dizzney said- weak.

And if the Greg fans complain every time he doesn't get 'decent' screen time/story lines, then well, we'd be complaining almost weekly. IMO, Greg IS a main character, and is treated unfairly when it comes to story lines and screen time. Each character on the show deserves equal development, and as a fan of NOT just one actor, but the entire show, I see that.

We deal with this on Miami constantly. It's even worse than Vegas with equal screen time. I think it's something BOTH shows need to work on. Maybe take some tips from NCIS. ;)

11. ClarkF1

ClarkF1 Hit and Run

Bieber was acting??? You mean he's not dead. Damn :(

12. LadyMaverick

LadyMaverick Dead on Arrival

I actually loved this episode. Intense, educating and lots of emotion.
    That is why CSI is one of my favorite shows. The cast and characters are like my own family. Some episodes are better than others but I keep coming back for more and I am never disappointed.

13. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I thought that the Nick, Cath, Vartann storyline was good and it kept me interested and then it just plummeted everytime it went to Haskall :shifty: . The only scene I enjoyed from that storyline was when Ray confessed to having the gene and Haskall wasn't expecting it, that was great ;)

Loved the scene between Nick and Cath. They share a lot of history and it was sweet the way Nick said he wanted to care for her :).

Even more loved the Cath and Vartann moments. So can we say they are indeed together? I thought we were going to get more of a verbal confirmation as to the status of their relationship. I guess that the scene in the hospital when she said "were else would I be?" could mean they are still together, but it could also mean "even though we broke up I care about you". I'm not entirely sure one way or the other.

14. Sookie

Sookie CSI Level One

Personally, I think the Beiber storyline should have been the entire episode. It was more interesting than the Haskell trial.

Loved the Nick/Catherine/Vartann/Kip scenes.

Did they really need to kill Kip? They should have killed Haskell at the end - I'm so sick of him.

Loved the sweet Nick and Catherine scene at the hospital. It is scenes like that, that keep me watching.

Loved that they showed Nick being angry in the beginning of the episode - who wouldn't be?

15. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

I'm just curious as to what your definition of main character is. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with anything being said, but has the show itself actually stated who it considers main and supporting (and I'm not referring to award show-esque styles like "Best Lead Actor" and "Best Supporting Actress")? My own personal thoughts is that, as an ensemble show, each character who is getting star-billing (opening credits) is a main character. You will have your leads, but the others can certainly act as mains.

And one could argue that Wendy did get her own episodes. Each of the rat episodes operated largely as devices to advance the Hodges/Wendy arc. I'm not speaking in absolutes, just pondering here.

This statement confuses me. I wasn't a member of this site back before the days of Langston, but it sounds like from what you're saying here that Nick fans had a similar ordeal concerning Nick's time. Are you saying that no one then advocated for more Nick time and were not disappointed by his lack there of? And I'm not sure if this method of consoling (as it appears you're trying to do) is entirely fair. You say that Nick fans learned to deal. Was that before or after he became a lead and started carrying whole episodes and possibly seasons?

I do agree, however, that there can be too much complaining over character time, development, etc. I myself have been guilty of it. Perhaps a toning down would be good overall, but I can't speak for anyone other than myself.

Anywho, back to the episode. At work this morning, the big talk was how awesome the death of Bieber was. There was one guy who actually rewatched that scene four times. No it wasn't me. :lol: