Nick Fic Song Challenge Thread #2- Ch #20- "Save Me From Myself"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Smokey, Dec 6, 2009.

1. KFK

KFK Witness

Re: Nick Fic Song Challenge Thread #2- Ch #17- "Believe It Or Not"

I really do hate to be the bad guy, but some reviews would be nice for the two people who took the time to write stories for our entertainment. They may or may not be seeking critques for their stories, but nonetheless they deserve some acknowledgement, and we owe them. Every story written takes, not only time, but thought, consideration, and heart and soul. We as reader are obligated to offer some acknowledgement of their hard work...no matter how few or many the words (a simple great job would do.) Sorry for being such a B about this, but if you take the time to read it, at least have the decency to review it.

Sorry for ranting.

Kelli

2. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Have to say I agree. It's always frustrating when we don't get a lot of participation in the writing, but it would be nice if people read the stories and left a little comment. I mean, they're not that long...they don't take long to read. :)

Thanks to those who were able to write for this round! Much appreciated! So thanks to...

Raynn - Highway Signs
    GregNickRyanFan - Believe it or Not

Great job! :)

3. Sookie

Sookie CSI Level One

I very much enjoyed both stories. I always look forward to the song challenges and think you guys to a great job with the stories.

Sorry if I not the greatest reviewer.

I hope there are more to come.

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Just to let you know, I will probably not be able to participate in the next round. I can't get my PC to work or rather the monitor and I don't have another monitor at the moment ... at least I'm hoping its the monitor and not the harddrive that's messed up lol. I don't have MS Word on my laptop. It came with works, but its not installed... there's just a shortcut link to install it. I don't want works, so I'm waiting to see if my mother can get a MS Office 2011 for cheaper (from her work place) because I can't afford 149.99 which is what it costs at the store (checked at best buy yesterday lol). I may write a fic (if an idea comes to me), but I may not be able to get it submitted in time.

5. Smokey

Bummer, GNRFan! Have you tried using Open Office? I know a lot of people who use that and like it.

Hopefully now that my other story is done, I'll be able to write more regularly for the challenge. :)

6. GregNickRyanFan

I have no idea what Open Office is. I've never heard of it lol. I have so many files saved in MS Word format, that I'm going to have to eventually get it so I will be open to open my old documents if I need to edit them.

7. Smokey

This is free and many people use it instead of buying a word processing program. And it can open documents saved in just about any format. :)

8. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Yes, Open Office is great for those who don't have Microsoft Word :)

I used it myself and still have it. The best thing about it is that it's free and that you can open MS Word docs with it... show me another program who can ;)

You should try it, GNRF :)

9. Smokey

Well, now that my other fic is finally finished, I'm ready to write again. :) So I'm going to post another challenge and hope that a lot of you will write as well.

Next person to post after me, pick a number...1, 2, or 3. :)

10. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

Yay, new challenge!

I pick.. #2.

11. Smokey

Thanks for picking a number, Raynn! :)

It's time for Round 18 of the Nick Fic Song Challenge! ​

Remember, everyone reading the thread is welcome to submit a story! :)

And now the guidelines...PLEASE read them all carefully! If you have any questions, let me know here or via PM/email. Thanks! :)

1. Word limit on the fic is 2,500. Please remember to give the fic a title and a short summary (neither are counted in the word limit).

2. The only restrictions on the content of the fic are that Nick must be the main character and that the story must be based on the song lyrics (below). You can base your fic on the idea of the song, whole or in part, use some of the lyrics...whatever you want as long as the song is your inspiration. The fics will be presented later by way of a link, so there are no worries about mature content.

3. Please do not post your fic or any links here! Send your fic to me at the email in my profile (or you can PM it to me if it's short enough). If you email it, you can put it in the body of the email or send it as an attachment. Please put the title of your fic in the subject line of the PM or email. Deadline for submissions is Saturday, March 5, at midnight EST.

4. Submissions should be anonymous! Please do not share your story with anyone else or tell anyone which one is yours once they are posted!

5. If you would like to have someone beta (proofread) your story, please choose someone who is NOT a participant in this challenge. Or if you like, I will be happy to beta your story when you send it to me. :) Just let me know when you send it.

6. Once all of the stories are in, we will publish the links to them and everyone can start reading! [​IMG]

7. After you have read the fics, you can post feedback for them. I will post the feedback guidelines when we get the stories up.

And now your inspiration for this challenge! The song is "What's It Like" by Everlast, submitted by MyFutureCSI! You can listen to it here. It's You Tube, so I hope everyone can see it. And here are the lyrics...

What's It Like

Written by Erik Schrody

We've all seen the man at the liquor store beggin' for your change
    The hair on his face is dirty, dreadlocked and full of mange
    He ask the man for what he could spare with shame in his eyes
    Get a job you fuckin' slob's all he replied

God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes
    'Cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues
    Then you really might know what it's like

Mary got pregnant from a kid named Tom who said he was in love
    He said don't worry about a thing baby doll I'm the man you've been dreamin' of
    But three months later he said he won't date her or return her call
    And she sweared god damn if I find that man I'm cuttin' off his balls
    And then she heads for the clinic and she gets some static walkin' through the doors
    They call her a killer, and they call her a sinner, and they call her a whore

God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in her shoes
    'Cause then you really might know what it's like to have to choose

I've seen a rich man beg
    I've seen a good man sin
    I've seen a tough man cry
    I've seen a loser win
    And a sad man grin
    I heard an honest man lie
    I've seen the good side of bad
    And the down side of up
    And everything between
    I licked the silver spoon
    Drank from the golden cup
    Smoked the finest green
    I stroked the fattest dimes at least a couple of times
    Before I broke their heart
    You know where it ends
    Yo, it usually depends on where you start

I knew this kid named Max
    He used to get fat stacks out on the corner with drugs
    He liked to hang out late at night
    Liked to get shit faced
    And keep pace with thugs
    Until late one night there was a big gun fight
    Max lost his head
    He pulled out his chrome .45
    Talked some shit
    And wound up dead
    Now his wife and his kids are caught in the midst of all of his pain
    You know it crumbles that way
    At least that's what they say when you play the game

God forbid you ever had to wake up to hear the news
    'Cause then you really might know what it's like to have to lose

To have to lose...

Remember, the most important thing is to be creative and have fun!! Try to think outside the box...do something out of the ordinary with it...use your imagination! And once again let me say, anything goes. You can ship, not ship, slash, not slash, angst, humor, romance, smut...whatever you want. We are just having fun here and being creative. All stories are welcome and encouraged. :)

Now start writing! :)

12. GregNickRyanFan

Re: Nick Fic Song Challenge Thread #2- Ch #18-"What It's Like"

Edited title of first post to add new song title.

Thanks for the advice and info on Open Office. I may check that out. Although my PC now seems to be working, or the monitor is now working, whichever. Through several times of myself and my mother (who works with computers for a living) tried to fix it and got no results... it just took someone else turning it on and it came up fine (haven't checked the internet access part yet though). It's defragging which will take a good while, so I'm still using the laptop at the moment... but if all goes well, I should be back on my PC sometime tomorrow. :)

13. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Woo hoo!

My song finally got picked!

I chose it because I can't help but notice how judgmental and as much as I love Nick he can be a bit judgmental.

Here's the unedited version..

Unedited version

14. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Yay for a new challenge :)

I don't know if I can write something for this one or not... I might be too busy since I'm moving in less then a week :)

I'll try though, if I get a story idea :)

Have fun writing! :D

15. KFK

KFK Witness

I'm not sure if I'll have time to write a story for this challenge, but I will try. This is a busy time at work, we're prep-ing for the student art show, and right after that it's the senior thesis show, add to that mid-terms and well you get the point...it's busy. Nonetheless, I will try to write something, and I'll try to keep it under 2500 words :lol:

It's going to be 70 degrees here today YIPEEE! I'm doing a happy dance.

Take Care,

Kelli