What Books Are You Reading?-#3

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Re: What Are You Reading?-#3

Oh,Well,Lots and Lots XD But,Right right now,Angels And Demons(Pocketbook),The Lovely Bones,The Wizard From Waterloo(It's Danish,Its called Troldmanden Fra Waterloo)And a Danish Book,Translated its something like The IslandOf fear And Others XD

2. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

Re: What Are You Reading?-#3

Standing in the Rainbow, by Fannie Flagg. It's set in Elmwood Springs, a little town in Missouri, and tells the story of its residents from the mid 1940s to 2000. The book is split into decades, so we get to see the characters lives change as they grow older. The residents are an interesting bunch but the book and the town center around Dorothy Smith, also known as 'Neighbor Dorothy' who has a daily radio show out of her front room where she tells stories about the town's residents, gives housekeeping/cooking tips, has various people from the town, the state, and all over the country come in to perform. There's also her famil, and an assortment of neighbours, all who have things going on in their own lives, good and bad. Am just up to the 'Sixties' part of the book. Really enjoying it so far, as not only do we see how the lives of the characters change over time but also the town itself and America in general.

3. Axelsonfire

Axelsonfire Pathologist

I'm currently reading Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld. It's the second book in his Leviathan series and I love it.

The story is basically a steampunk version of WWI with the British forces (Darwinists) using fabricated animals ex. The airship Leviathan is actually a living whale created to be an airship and the German forces (Clankers) using mechaniks like giant walkers.

The story is kind of two different stories. The first is about Alek, the son of the Austrian archduke with no claim to the throne. He is forced to leave his country when his parents are killed. The second story is about a girl named Deryn, who disguises as a guy to join the air force (yes, it's so Mulan I know) and has to try to keep her secret...secret.

Anyway, I'd reccomend them to anyone who that may interest. It's a really good series so far and the third book (and last book I think) is coming out in October. It's called Goliath and I'm excited for it.

4. Re: What Are You Reading?-#3

Oh,And Cujo and Christine XD

5. aaliya

aaliya Victim

at this time.. I am reading a Harry Porter's Book..

6. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I'm reading 'The Summer Fletcher Greel Loved Me' by Suzanne Kingsbury. It's about four teenagers in the fictional town of Houser Banks, Misssissippi. Haley Ellyson is 16 years old and a heartbreaker, she's slept a lot of the boys in town, and is currently having a relationship with one of her father's best friends, Bo. But Haley isn't mean or cold or a slut, she's just lonely and confused and frustrated. Fletcher Greel is the town judge's son, returning home after graduating high school (a boarding school up North). Once back in town, he meets up with his old friend, Riley. Riley is a bit of a rebel, he has long hair and smokes pot and drinks and is into blues music. Riley is in love with a black girl, Crystal, who sings the blues. People in the town are aware of the relationship, and it's caused problems for both Riley and Crystal, so they have to sneak around a lot. Meanwhile, Fletcher falls for Haley, and she for him, but they have problems too - Haley's dad has a tendency to scare off her 'boyfriends' with his shotgun, Haley has a few secrets of her own, Fletcher is dealing with the death of his mum from cancer the previous year...

It's basically a coming-of-age story, and it's good so far!

7. Re: What Are You Reading?-#3

Sounds good XD But,Right now I'm also reading Rosanna(Or Roseanna),The first book of 10 in the Martin Beck-Series.Only read 3 or 4 pages so far,Though.

8. Otie

Otie Hit and Run

Last couple books I read were the first two in a series by auther Dawn McCullough-White, the first was "Cameo the Assassin" and the second was "Cameo and the Highwayman". Both were really well written, and quick reads.

I've also been planning on sitting down and re-reading all the books in the "The Dark Tower" series and related universe by Stephen King, since it's being made into a few movies and TV miniseries. I loved them (and that completely in depth and so entangled universe) the first time I read them, and with the fact there's seven books just in the series, and another dozen plus that relate back to the storyline via either characters or events, it's a lot of reading to do before the movies come out.

Also recently been re-reading a book that's a collection of Leonard Cohen's poetry and various songs.

9. Desired.By.Him

Desired.By.Him Victim

Well,A couple of books XD There Rainbows End by Cecelia Ahern,A perfectly romantic,Fun and sometimes sad book XD.But,Also Angels and demons,A Danish series called Nynne,The second book in the series His Dark Materials,Devils Wears Prada and some others XD

10. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

I'm reading:
    Monkee Business: The Revolutionary Made-For-TV Band by Eric Lefcowitz.
    I'm up to chapter 26 of 69 chapters. So far, it's pretty interesting. Well, it's about my favorite music group and their show: The Monkees. I find anything about The Monkees interesting. Anyway...long as it stays as interesting as it is right now, I'm gonna try to read all 69 chapters. It's a behind the scenes biography of The Monkees, the band and the tv show.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  11. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

'The Story of Edgar Sawtelle' by David Wroblewski. Edgar Sawtelle is a mute boy who lives an idyliic life with his parents on a farm in northern Wisconsin. They raise and breed a unique breed of dog, called Sawtelle dogs. Then one day, Edgar's uncle Claude turns up, and Edgar soon realizes all is not quite right between Claude and Edgar's father, Gar. Then tragedy strikes - Gar dies suddenly, apparantly of natural causes. But one night, Edgar's father's ghost appears to him, and Edgar comes to believe that Claude, who has grown increasingly close to Edgar's mother, Trudy, had a hand in his death. Edgar finds himself alone, confused, angry, frightened, and his only ally is his pet dog, Almondine.
    It's good so far. Obviously, it has echoes of Hamlet with Claude (Claudius) Trudy (Gertrude) and the uncle-kills-father/dead-father-appears-to-son thing, but it's more than that, it's partly a thriller, partly a coming of age story, and kind of a 'doggy story' too because the dogs, especially Almondine, who even has a couple of chapters of her own, are really important. Most important are the relationships, especially between Edgar and the dogs.
    It's quite a big book, but am loving it so far.

12. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I'm listening to 'The Sleeping Doll' by Jeffery Deaver.
    Kathryn Dance is a kinesics - body language - expert who works for the CBI (California Bureau of Investigation) specializing in interrogations, canvassing, etc during investigations. Daniel Pell is a Charles Manson like murderer, years ago he killed a family, the only survivor was the young daughter who was sleeping and hidden among her toys and dolls, so Pell didn't see her. She became known as 'the sleeping doll'. Shortly after Kathryn interrogates Pell for another murder, he escapes. The story of Dance and her colleagues tracking down Pell parallels the story of Pell as he makes his way to track down the sleeping doll who evaded him years before, and it's possible he might be coming after Dance too....

It's great so far.

13. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

'Roadside Crosses' by Jeffery Deaver. It's the second Kathryn Dance novel, taking place a few weeks after the events of 'The Sleeping Doll'.
    A teenage girl is attacked, shortly after a deputy finds a roadside cross with the date of the attack along a California highway. The attack is linked to a Drudge Report-like blog where a thread about a dangerous stretch of highway has been hijacked by posters repeatedly flaming a loner teenage boy who was involved in a car accident there. The victim was one of the posters, and the boy, after escaping Dance and her partner, seems set on exacting revenge on all those who posted about him, leaving a roadside cross along a highway shortly before each attack.
    Dance and her team have to track him down. Meanwhile, the death of a young deputy in Dance's previous case, involving Daniel Pell, rears it's ugly head in a shocking way that involves Dance's own family.
    It's really good so far. It highlights how dangerous the Internet can be, particularly because
    a) the anonymity of the Internet allows any one to post anything - from utter bullshit to vicious rants to wild rumours - with virtually no consequence, all while claiming 'freedom of speech' and
    b) some people post way too much personal info about themselves on public pages, making them vulnerable to complete strangers.

I think it raises the really interesting issue of how posters on websites/chatboards are allowed to spew crap they'd never get away with in real life, or at least would make them seem like those crazy people ranting on the street - annoying, but not much of a threat, and not to be taken seriously - with little, if any consequence, and be taken way more seriously by way more people than they would if they were saying this stuff in the real world. It also raises the interesting question of how far should free speech, especially in the cyber world, where there are virtuallyno restrictions or consequences, and which is open to so many people, be allowed to go?

I'm also, as with the previous Dance book, really enjoying the bits about Dance's personal life, she's a widow and a single mother with two children, and as I said, in this book, she and her family are dealing with a shocking turn of events involving the death of the young deputy in the Pell case in the last book.

14. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I currently reading GhosTV by Jordan Castillo Price. It's the latest in the Psycop Series. In this novel Victor and Jacob are off to California to find out what happened to Lisa, Victor's former partner. Right now the book is only available for ereaders. It will available in paper version later.

If you're not familiar with the Psycop Series it about Victor who is a level-5 medium. Victor is also a cop and he happens to be gay. Jacob is also a cop and Victor's partner but not cop partner. Jacob is the non- Psy half of another Psycop team.

15. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

On audio, I'm listening to 'Death in Holy Orders' by PD James. Adam Dalgliesh, of Scotland Yard, agrees to re-examine the death of a student at St Anselm's, and Anglican theological college on a deserted stretch of the East Anglican coast. As with 'The Black Tower' the story is about a death in a closed off, seemingly idyllic, community, with the backdrop of a sinister, desolate background. It's good so far, quiet and intelligent and gripping.