GLEE- Are You a GLEEk?

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Wolverine_Eagle, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

I wasn't crazy about "The Substitute"

I enjoyed the Mercedes/Kurt/Blaine scene, but that was about it.
    Gwyneth Paltrow wasn't bad by any means, but... I don't know. Maybe it was the songs. Those all should have been really good, but they just... weren't :( I was really looking forward to the Umbrella/Singing in the Rain mashup, because I love Umbrella, but it was... well, again, not bad, but just not good.

Overall, I was a bit disappointed in this one. But... really looking forward to the next one :D

2. INACTIVEQuinn Fabray

INACTIVEQuinn Fabray Lab Technician

Alright, so I wrote my review of "The Substitute" here @ my LJ.

And yes I agree about Terri. I never minded her that much but I'm glad she's back. Hope to see more of her. :D

3. kaybee988

kaybee988 Witness

Loved the episode last night!!

Some people may think the show has become centered on Kurt but I really enjoy his storylines.

The wedding scene and the reception with "Just the Way You Are" might be my favorite scene ever. It's just a shame that after all the support and love the glee club showed him he still didn't feel safe enough to stay at McKinley. I can't say I blame him for transferring though since I felt Kurt would be much happier at the other school since it was introduced.

But I loved how the whole club came together. It felt like a good 'ol Season 1 episode.

4. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

I enjoyed last night's episode as well. I have no issue with the focus on Kurt. I did think the wedding vows and toasts should have been more about the parents than their kids, but hey... And "Just the Way You Are" was a great song. They killed it.

Looking forward to next week to see how this whole Kurt-the-enemy thing is going to play out at sectionals.

5. INACTIVEQuinn Fabray

I LOVED this weeks episode SO MUCH! This was by far my favorite episode of the season! :D

I wrote a detailed review here @ my LJ.

I hope to see more episodes like this one in the future! ~fingers crossed~

6. Vickyyy

Vickyyy Rookie

Haven't read the thread because I don't want to be spoiled for Season Two but I just wanted to let you know the cast will be on the X Factor next Sunday if you're in the UK :)

7. PraetorCorvinus

Neglected to comment on last week's episode, so I'll go ahead and do a twofer.

Last week's "Special Education" was good. I enjoyed all the numbers performed at Sectionals, mainly "Valerie". Santana rocked that song and seeing Mike and Brittany dance was beyond awesome. Those two have some serious moves. Wasn't big on Dalton's performance of "Hey Soul Sister." I like the actual version better. Everything else was good. I'm not even sad that Finn and Rachel broke up (I'm siding with Finn on this, too). I do want to see Kurt come back though. His replacement, Lauren, was hilarious however. :lol:

This week's "A Very Glee Christmas" was okay. I didn't really care for the song selections in this one. I'm more for the traditional, religious Christmas carols. Hearing O Holy Night or Carol of the Bells would have been fantastic. Much better than what we got with "Island of Misfit Toys" and "Last Christmas". Wasn't too big on the Sue storyline either. I thought they took it too far with the Grinch angle. I did enjoy the Brittany, Artie, Santa story though. That was funny and, because it was Brittany, believable. :lol:

And I'm still not sad about Finn and Rachel. :p

8. INACTIVEQuinn Fabray

^^ I did too.

Ok so Special Education:
    In general, I thought this was not a bad episode. There was quite a bit of "couple" drama, with the whole Finn sleeping with Santana, Tina and Artie thinking Mike and Brittany are having an affair, etc etc. But otherwise the plot wasn't TOO bad. My only question is why the Warblers even tied with New Directions. The Warblers had no movement at all. Yeah I know it was a singing competition, but come ON Brittany and Mike had the most killer dance routine of life. All the Warblers did was walk back and forth across the stage. Literally, it was like the whole team was an entourage and they were following Blaine. I mean SERIOUSLY. Would it of killed them to add choreography? For that, I think New Directions should have won. TPTB should have thought of another way to incorporate the Warblers in regionals.

I also thought the whole Rachel and Finn drama was a bit much. I mean... Rachel thought that what Finn did with Santana cancelled out the fact that she made out with Puck while she was STILL WITH FINN? That does NOT cancel it out. Not in the slightest. I don't know why she even thought it would. I guess Ryan Murphy is just trying to make Finn the victim so therefore they must make Rachel seem completely OOC in order to accomplish this. Gosh.

Otherwise the episode wasn't half bad. I've seen better, but it certainly wasn't a terrible episode.

Performances:
    Don't Cry for me Argentina - Lea and Chris are actually amazing together. Their duets ALWAYS blow me away. Lea and Chris sang this song beautifully and WHY Kurt didn't get the solo after singing this is COMPLETELY beyond me. Jeez. Kurt better get a solo in the near future or I am NOT going to be happy.

The Living Years - I think the Hipsters did a really great job on this one. Sure they didn't have much choreography, but hey, they're older people so I can understand that. In general, their voices were great and they really suited the song. My only question was: isn't this a high school competition?

Hey Soul Sister - Ok. I get it. Darren can sing. Is it possible to let anyone else sing the song though? I mean... All the Warblers are singing "oohs" and "ahhs" and I'm thinking. Gee. Wouldn't it be nice to hear some of them sing some of the verse. And the choreography. Man oh man. There was none. Seriously. All it was was Blaine walking and skipping at some points., and the rest of the team following him like an entourage. That is NOT choreography. Some dancing would be nice.

(I've Had) The Time of my Life - Hooray for Chord and Dianna! Sure their voices aren't STRONG, but I still think they flatter each other very well and did a great job with this piece. Dianna was fantastic, and Chord, well he wasn't 100% perfect for this song and could have been better but they still both did a great job. Can I mention how adorable they were in it? They were so cute when they were dancing together. I have decided that Quam is adorable and I now ship it.

Valerie - FINALLY. Santana has a SOLO. It's about freaking time. She did a wonderful job singing this song and can I say how great the choreography was? Heather Morris and Harry Shum Jr are AWESOME. They were on FIRE and that dance performance ALONE SHOULD have made New Directions win.

Dog Days are Over - Originally, I didn't like it. But it really grew on me. Jenna and Amber did a really good job. Their voices sounded great together and the dancing from the whole team was great. I found it wonderful that someone other than Rachel (don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Lea's voice) got to sing a solo. I hope to hear more from them in the future.

Next A Very Glee Christmas:
    Not a bad episode. I loved the Grinch references and reenactments in this episode (Sue and Brittany were classic) and the Brittany storyline. I thought they were both well done. I especially loved how Becky is Sue's little partner in crime. They are so cute!

The only complaint I had was the Finnchel side story. I found it was a bit much. I feel like Rachel was being a little TOO desperate with Finn. Does she really rely on a relationship this much? Can she not be her own independent person? Apparently not. I have a feeling that she is going to be trying to get back Finn for this entire season. ~groans~ This Finnchel drama is a bit much... I hope it won't take over the show... ~sighs~

Am I the only one who was upset that Rachel and Puck didn't team up against all this Christmas stuff? That would have been entertaining.

Performances:
    The Most Wonderful Day of the Year - Cute song and cute performance! I think they did a great job!

We Need a Little Christmas - Same as above.

Merry Christmas Darling - Wow. Just wow. Lea is amazing! Her performance utterly blew me a way. She did a GREAT job. Can I mention that I loved how the stage snowed and how Christmas-y it was? The stage crew can do everything apparently. They can make it rain and snow!

Baby It's Cold Outside - Great duet from Darren and Chris! Their voices flatter each other well, and they were so cute during the performance. I'm not a Klaine shipper, but that kinda got me in the mood for some Klaine-ness. They did an awesome job.

You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch - Great job! I enjoyed this one too. I liked how Sue mimicked what the Grinch did. She did a great job! That grinch side story was really awesome!

Last Christmas - Cory and Lea did a great job on this one too! Even I have to admit they were kind of cute singing this one, when they were dancing around the Christmas trees and such. Cute.

Welcome Christmas - This one was my FAVORITE. They did an amazing job I thought they sounded really good and it got me into the Christmas mood for sure! If I were the teachers I'd give them like a 20 dollar bill. <3

~looks above~ Ok that was long... Sorry bout that. ;)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  9. INACTIVEQuinn Fabray

Ok this thread has fallen off the face of the earth. Did anyone see the superbowl episode last night? I haven't yet, but I hear it was really good! What did everyone else think of it? :)

10. sasha007

sasha007 Victim

Yeah i m ! As i follow this show and i love to watch it as well .

11. PraetorCorvinus

I didn't catch it after the game but I did see it the next day. I liked it. A lot.

The two storylines following the football team and Sue were pretty good. Sue was over the top, but with Glee that's all right. I found it satisfying that the Cheerios lost their competition. Karma's a bitch, Sue. :rommie: I also like that Quinn, Santana and Brittany are off the Cheerios. They might become less bitchy...

The football storyline was also interesting. I liked Karofsky's face whenever someone mention him being either gay or a homophobe. I sense it won't be long until his world finally crashes down around him. I also really liked how both Finn and Puck were finally standing up for glee and telling the team to shove it. Lauren is really growing on me too. Bitch can kick ass and take names. Oh, and Beiste is way awesome. :lol:

Not sure what's going on with Finn and Quinn. Truthfully, I like it. We never got a chance to see how they really were as a couple since the series opened with them in confrontation over glee and then the baby. I'm willing to see where this goes. Plus, I've always liked Quinn over Rachel. And Sam kinda seems like a douche at times.

As for the music, I think I liked every song in the ep. Usually there's at least one I don't but this time I liked all four. Bills, Bills, Bills was a little random but I guess they had to find someway to get Kurt and Blaine into the episode. Thriller/Heads Will Roll was epic. I loved the zombie makeup. Of course, anything with zombies is automatically awesome in my book. :lol:

IMO, pretty damn good episode. And a special aside to Tina. MVP of the episode, in my eyes. :)

12. INACTIVEQuinn Fabray

:lol: I didn't catch it after the game either, but I watched it yesterday and I really enjoyed it!

I loved the football side story. I thought it was very suiting and it's about TIME we had the entire football team working together for once. And then the hockey team comes over and slushies the football team. :guffaw: That made me laugh! It's like it's always some sort of sports team who is control of the school (which makes sense). I guess that the Hockey team is second in command. :p

Being a Finn/Quinn shipper myself, I quite enjoy the possibility of a reconciliation. BUT, I really don't like the way they've done it. According to recent spoilers, Quinn is going to cheat on Sam with Finn. I'm just hoping that whatever they do, they do AFTER Sam/Quinn have broken up. I mean really, does Quinn have to cheat on Sam in order to get back together with Finn? It's like they want to label Quinn as the "cheater", which i really don't like because Quinn is my favorite character (obviously). To me it seems like they are undoing all of the character development she went through this season! :( To me, Sam is a really nice guy, and I don't like the idea of Quinn cheating on him with Finn.

I agree about the music, I actually loved the mashup! Which is weird to say because I didn't think I'd like it, but I did!! :) They all did a really great job, and man did they put on all that makeup fast! :p

The Tina/Mike in this episode was absolutely adorable! (I'm really liking that ship, much more than Tina/Artie).

Overall I'd give this episode an A!! I hope they keep up the great work! :D

13. Colonel Worf

Colonel Worf Pathologist

I loved this episode for the simple fact that Sue got put in her place.

14. hiphuggerslove

hiphuggerslove Rookie

:lol: sue is just crazy...love the ending:guffaw: sue and that girl fighting was to funny

15. PraetorCorvinus

Seems like only yesterday where I was reviewing a new Glee episode. :lol: (And sorry, but this is going to be a long one)

Okay, so if there is one thing Glee has been consistent with, it's showing that it's characters are flawed, emotional human beings who are, well... human. The bad guys (Sue, Terri, Karofsky... Santana(?)) have warm, squishy centers. The good guys thus can be bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I'll focus on Finn and Quinn after I get through all the other stuff.

The best part of the episode for me was Puck, Lauren and Santana. Lauren is rapidly becoming one of my favorite characters (especially since Finn and Quinn are in danger of being booted from my 'favorite top 5 characters' slots). Words really cannot describe how awesome she is. Santana getting called out on her bitchy-ness was great and I loved seeing Lauren mop the floor with her. I don't see a future in the Puck/Lauren relationship, but it is going to be a fun ride until we reach the end.

I've finally figured Blaine out. Underneath all the suave mannerisms and sagely advice, the boys an idiot. His obliviousness toward Kurt aside, did he really just assume that the Gap guy was out and that performing in a store would have no ramifications? Okay, he's a teenager and when teenagers have their hormonal batteries fully charged they can be stupid. But I saw this as being really stupid. 'Finn singing to Quinn's parents' level of stupid. I am glad though that Blaine and Kurt are going somewhere. Not sure where, but somewhere. The sleepover and the end at Breadstix was a great way to incorporate Kurt and Blaine into the greater Glee-verse. Much better than the random cutaways we were getting each episode.

Tina, Mike, Artie and Brittany are almost too adorable. :lol: Funniest moment of the episode was Tina's emotional breakdown during her song from feeling too much love. :guffaw:Although I really wish Tina will get a proper solo at some point...

Which brings me to Finn and Quinn. We have seen in the past that both can be manipulative bastards. Quinn's queen bee approach to this and Finn's "aw shucks...not really" style of being manipulative is part of the reasons I really like them. But this episode just has them being cold and cruel, mainly to Sam but partly to Rachel. I understand that their relationship ended abruptly and neither really had the chance to move on. They see each other every day for crying out loud! I even forgave them both for their cheating on each other (how ironic). Quinn was seduced by Puck and Finn was being hounded by extra-bitchy Quinn straight toward Rachel. I can forgive that. But here, the two are actively willing to cheat.

This whole thing is doomed. Yes it will get them out of each other's system, but I fear it will really damage their characters. Fans are going to be majorly turned off by this. I like Finn and Quinn way more than Rachel and Sam (he seems to alternate between awesome guy and douche), but when I'm feeling bad for the latter two, something is wrong. The characters are still salvageable, but I sure hope the writers handle this with care.

As for the music, not as great as last episode but some were pretty good. My favorite was Fat Bottom Girls. That song rocked (in all of it's offensiveness :lol:). Silly Love Songs was also good and served as a nice way to end the episode. P.Y.T. was okay. Mike's dancing really made it enjoyable. When I Get You Alone was just weird. And I really don't care for Katy Perry. I like Glee's Teenage Dream because it's different from the original. Firework on the other hand was meh. It is the only Perry song I actually like, but Rachel really didn't change it - so I didn't see anything special.

Overall, I'm mixed on this episode. Storytelling wise, it was great. It advanced the plot and really did a lot in terms of character development. But it's the development that I don't like. Can you dislike an episode not for the episode itself but the content instead?

One more quick note. I love that Quinn, Santana and Brittany are no longer in their cheer uniforms. Santana in particular was looking pretty fine. :devil: Oh, and the best line of the episode: "The Warblers haven't performed in an informal setting since 1927, when the Spirit of St. Louis overshot the tarmac and plowed through seven Warblers during an impromptu performance of 'Welcome to Ohio, Lucky Lindy.'" Thank you for that mental image. :guffaw:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011