What Books Are You Reading?-#3

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Jun 5, 2009.

1. DetHiggins

DetHiggins Police Officer

Re: What Are You Reading?-#3

It's one of mine too! I read it three years ago for school, but it was my favorite book I read that year.

Well, Les Miserables is on a hiatus again. I am currently reading The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway. It's okay. I like that it is short. After reading Moby-Dick, short is a miracle.

2. Stepherweps

Stepherweps The Resident Gleek Premium Member

I'm currently reading *another* Stephen Fry Novel, "The Star's Tennis Balls", Not very far into it, but it's turning into a bit of a page turner, it's about a school boy (Ned) and his girl friend (Portia), who are very much in love, however it turns out Ned has a rival for the love of Portia, in the form of her American cousin, who has come to live with Portia's family, after the death of his mother. He tries to frame Ned for possession of drugs leading to Ned's arrest, which takes a strange turn when in the middle of being interrogated by the police, a man comes in and takes Ned away, the man turns out to be a government agent, and it soon becomes clear that the situation Ned has found himself in is much worse than it first appeared... That's as far as I've got, but it's pretty good thus far. :D

3. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I'm currently reading "Good Omens". Been looking for a copy for freaking ever, but got it for Christmas. :)

4. Cath.S

Cath.S CSI Level One

I've finished Patricia Cornwell's The Scarpetta Factor yesterday.I normally like her Kay-Scarpetta-novels, but this one was sheer torture to read... :(

5. ModernDayDrifter

ModernDayDrifter Lab Technician

I just finished Night by Elie Wiesel. Its a short novel but very hard to read with all the truth in its texts. It gives you a good idea of how survivers of the holocost viewed what was happening. However this book was written 10 years after his experiance and is still farely vague. He just tells you what he saw and does not give description for he cant even describe what he saw due to how horrific it was.

6. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

I just finished Breathless by Dean Koontz. Really good, powerful book. The title is very appropriate...it left me breathless at times. Emotional too.

7. lal

lal Pathologist

Hi i have just finished reading Grave surprise by Charlaine Harris .

8. Rainack

Rainack Hit and Run

I read that book myself, not too long ago. I enjoyed it imensely, but found it a bit bizzarre in places.

9. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I'm reading 'Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man' by Fannie Flagg. It's about a girl, Daisy Fay Harper, growing up and coming of age in a small Misssissippi town where her father runs a 'malt shop' (they sell burgers and milkshakes and tourist junk). The town is inhabited by various oddballs and eccentrics, which includes Daisy's own family. It's good, very funny in places.

On audio, I'm listening to 'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett. It's set in Mississippi in 1962. It's about three women, a black maid called Abilene who is raising her seventeenth white child, her friend Minny, who is a fantastic cook but sassy so struggles to keep a job, and Skeeter, a white woman back home from college whose mother is determined to marry her off, despite her education or what she wants. It's good so far, it's narrated by several narrators, and this, along with hearing on audio, makes it really authentic.

I just finished 'Waiting for the Evening News' by Tim Gautreaux which is a collection of short stories set in the Deep South (well, actually, almost entirely Louisiana) which was really good, some of the stories were quite sad and grim but others were funny and uplifting. My favourites were 'Floyd's Girl' where a man named Floyd and his family and friends set out to rescue Floyd's daughter from the no good boyfriend of Floyd's ex-wife who has kidnapped her, Resistance, in which an old man helps a lonely girl with her school science project, and 'Easy Pickings' in which a widow and her card-playing oldie friends get the better of a petty thief who tries to rob the widow. All the stories were good, though.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  10. Joycie84

Joycie84 CSI Level One

I'm reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen. I wanted to read this book before the movie came out. I'm liking it so far. I have to read like 80 pages before I'm done.
    It's about Jacob, who joins a circus in the 1930's. He falls in love with Marlena, who's married to the brutal animal trainer August. And Jacob gets a special bond with Rosie, the elephant and the main attraction of the circus.
    Really worthed, I like the book. I'm really curious about how it's going to end.

11. city hunter

city hunter Rookie

I just finished "The Brass Verdict" by Michael Connelly. This is one of the best thrillers I've read in the last few years, there are so many twists and turns in this book that keep you on the edge of your seat the whole time.

12. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I'm reading 'The Well and the Mine' by Gin Phillips. It's set in Depression-era Alabama. Nine year old Tess sees a woman throwing her baby into her family's well. As Tess tries to unravel the mystery of the woman and the baby, we also see her family and community struggling with the Depression and life in a poor mining town.

13. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ ooh that sounds totally up my street :) *goes to kindle store*

i'm reading the torture garden by mirbeau in french for uni

and a book about prostitution & brothels in chicago in 1900-ish.

so basically it's all brothels, S&M, kinky stuff going on in my head at the moment.

14. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

which can be a 'dangerous' place to have quick access to :)

I'm currently re-reading Tigers and Devils by Sean Kennedy. Some may know him as kennedy on What Makes the Desert Beautiful. Tigers and Devils deals with the relationship between an Australian Football League player and a director of a Film Festival. The main message in the book is the need to communicate. Simon and Declan have troubles with that at times.

I've got Robert Crais' new book The Sentry lined up to read next. If any of you are familiar with Crais' work you know he started out with Elvis Cole has his main character. Elvis' silent partner in the detective agency is Joe Pike. Crais has done a couple of Joe Pike books and this is another one. Elvis does appear in it as well. The last couple of Joe Pikes books have been good so I look forward to reading it.

15. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ very much so. i often go there for one book and end up with about 7. also i keep finding total bargains, which makes me feel less guilty. for instance i got the complete works of thomas hardy (who i love) for £1.12 (about $1.50), i got the books i needed for my french literature course in english and french for roughly £0.75 each (about $1), so all in all i've done pretty well :)