Grade 'Party Down'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by vegaslights, Feb 4, 2011.

?

How would you grade Party Down?

1. A+

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. A-

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  4. B+

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. B

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. B-

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. C

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  12. D-

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

Yes, I feel the same way. I love the Mentalist, but mainly because of Simon Baker. But this season the Mentalist/CSI NY cases seem to be centered on the upper-crust of society and kind of sick of that.

2. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I gave it a C. I wasn't all that thrilled with this episode, it's one I probably will not re-watch.

3. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

One thing bugged me about this coming up to the end scenes. When they finally narrowed it down to the four people who'd claimed to have received invitations, and then eliminated the women, did it not occur to anybody that if suspect A had been witnessed by many people *inside* the trailer...that maybe he couldn't possibly have been the driver?

4. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i wrote a few thoughts as i watched it, at least one of which has been mentioned already. tough!

1: ooh look, it's another opening in a club full of scantily dressed women getting sexay, obviously we can't show the men can we because we need to titillate to gain viewers :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

2: why did they not think to stand back when the truck was opened? even i knew lots of water would gush out!

3: "crashing this party was no accident" or whatever mac said - straight from the horatio school of cheese :wtf:

4: i knew who'd dun it within a few seconds of them being in the precinct.

5: that line about playing dressup - unnecessary, pointless, puke inducing.

6: oh! it's zoo york! AGAIN:shifty:

7: lindsay: "here's a footprint"

mac: "oh well that must mean blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahijustsolvedthefuckingcaseimust'vebeenstandingonmypsychicspot"

sorry mac, you're lovely but that's just STUPID!

the same goes for the speedy deduction that the killer was one of the men - yes, a man with a stutter bought the painted things but that doesn't mean he was the killer, he might've been buying them for someone else or might've been in a team etc etc. GAH! just one of a zillion plot holes that was closed up far too swiftly with no basis for doing so.

there were a couple of things i liked - one was when jo dragged flack away from staring at the painted women. er... actually, that's it.

this was the very epitome of mediocrity. if it had been in season 6 it would've seemed better, but s7 so far has been better and this was just awful. so i'm giving it a D-

and yes, before you ask, this ep did make me angry!! :lol:

5. Axatullux

Axatullux Lab Technician

I saw roughly a small portion of last night's episode and found the whole thing of rich people being the cause of these violent crimes a huge, HUGE turnoff. Can't we have crimes committed by gangs in poor neighborhoods against impoverished residents in dilapitated neighborhoods?! This is getting totally ridiculous! It's one of the other main factors that made me reject Miami years ago.

I'm not the slightest bit pleased at all with "Party Down". Not at all. I gave this show a chance after last season and after adjusting to the changes that came but now, I feel that I'm very, very close to officially closing the books on CSI:NY.

With only 9.34 million viewers last night, just barely above re-run viewership numbers, I see NY uncomfortably close to being eaten by the Bear this coming May.

6. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

I forgot to mention, I was annoyed when the episode kept inserting mini-clips of the party during the interview. I almost wanted to switch channel and just record it.

It had fewer viewers but it had higher 18-49 rating (more young audience were watching last night), 1.9 versus 1.7 it got last January. Actually, NY did good in the ratings last night considering it's out of its original time period.

NY WRITERS: Please ENOUGH of party/bar themed episodes!

7. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I totally agree. Both Miami & New York have a lot of people who aren't very well off. Statistically more deaths in the country (and specifically NYC) are attributed to gang violence and associated with drugs than the scenarios shown on CSI. I think Law & Order did/does a better job of getting down to what it's really like, covering both Park Avenue and Harlem.

I also think they desperately need to go back to having two case episodes, at least some of the time. They also don't always have to solve the case - they should throw in a few gang related cases that won't ever go to trial.

8. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Yes. There was a time when two-case episodes became stale. Recently, I feel that one-case episodes are now getting old. They are just filling the episode with redundant clips of the murder scene, processing scenes etc. The show needs two-case episodes again. Or at least a case that can occupy the whole episode without being slow/boring. They've done it before. I can't understand why it can't happen again.

9. *NickStone*

*NickStone* Hit and Run

Gave this one an A-. It's not the best this season, but it's definitely the best since a couple of weeks before Christmas. So, a definite improvement on the last three or four episodes.

Lindsay wasn't in it enough, but since she's had a lot of screen time this season that's not so bad. I really like D/L ship, but even I was pleased not to see any reference to it this episode. It became over saturated in the past few seasons, to the point that there was little focus on Lindsay as her own character. Changing that this season has been a definite good thing. It's been good to have only fleeting references to the relationship, or as with tonight, not mentioning it at all.

So whilst she wasn't in it much this episode, the fact that Lindsay's scenes were about her as a CSI is definitely appreciated. Hopefully, there'll be a lot more of her and she'll get her own story-arc further down the line.

And little screen time or not, she's still my eye-candy, she's been looking gorgeous this season. :drool:

The case itself was pretty interesting, I liked that there was a lot of character exploration for the victims, that's something that they did a lot in the early seasons, but tapered off a little in more recent years. This season, has definite return to form in that regard, and this episode is just one of many that have been a good ensemble.

One thing that I agree with what others have said is that the ending along with the whole, "Victims family interfering and Mac warning them off" element, fell kind of short, on account of it being too similar to Zoo York . Hell, even Mac's expression and walk over to vehicle were practically identical in both episodes.

So yeah, good stuff, gets an A- cool:

10. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

me too! this is exactly what i meant when i posted that thread earlier tonight about sfx clips. it was so annoying in last night's ep and it's been getting worse for a while, and as someone pointed out, i suspect this is why:

totally agree...

also with this:

oh another note i made, that i forgot before (was probably busy trying to repress it!) - mac: STOP with the pontificating already! the bit where that guy went on about not everyone thinking justice was the same thing or something, god, i was totally on his side. i think mac's lovely but bloody hell, they've got to stop him being so bloody sanctimonious. it doesn't help!

*and breathe*

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  11. Country233

I agree. if the writers cannot come up with a dynamic single crime story; make it a doulbe crime episode. I preferred the double case shows because it played off the charcters as they worked in pairs. I liked that better and it made the redundant autopsy room scenes frustrating.

12. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ did you mean to put "redundant" and "frustrating" the other way around in that sentence?

13. Country233

ha no, but I typically write things backward. My english professors got me on it lol

14. JoeyDC

JoeyDC Rookie

D because watching an episode of "Golden Girls" would have been more entertaining than "Party Down".

The lack of originality and proper character introduction of the guest-stars made this episode simply boring. I believe film students would be more capable of producing something worthwhile watching than these so-called "writers" on the show. You don't have to watch the show regularly to be able to notice the plot holes that took place in CSI: NY's latest episode. Horrible!

As many reviewers already pointed out, the party theme couldn't be more overused by now. New York is known for its diversity and I start to get the impression that the writers are trying to bring down the show on purpose. How else would you explain their material? The actors as well as the crew constantly work their butts off to make every episode seem entertaining while writers (or whoever else is in charge of the 'creative' aspect) couldn't care less about the garbage they are trying to sell the audience. I most certainly don't accept the lame excuse that they are already in their seventh season and it's hard to come up with original ideas. Well, perhaps they should look at brilliant shows like NCIS because they obviously can draw in more audience the longer the show lasts. CSI is also still on top of its game and I'm just glad the original one still exists.

Favorite scene of the whole episode was Don Flack getting his groove on when flirting with a naked model :) The actor as well as the character he portrays never fail to entertain no matter how ridiculous the story line.

On a sidenote: When Mac was interviewing the killer in the beginning, the guy was talking about his parents in the past tense which clearly indicated that they already passed away. Later on, when Mac talked to the killer again, he acted all surprised that his parents were deceased. Such a stupid rookie mistake would have never happened to an experienced detective like Mac Taylor as they are trained to listen carefully. :rolleyes:

P.S.: Although I was never fond of the character Stella, that was the first time I missed her. Stella's passionate persona added the so much needed spice to the show and Jo Danville's constant smooth way of talking and acting around everyone and everything starts to irritate me a lot.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  15. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

Good episode!!Definitely an improvement over the previous one.A- for me.
    The bad thing was that there were too many interrogation scenes and little forensics...But the case nice with many twists and turns!!!