Episode 9x12 - 'Wheels Up' - ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by FieldMouse, Jan 15, 2011.

1. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Ok episode.

I agree with what has been said about Horatio and his dark ways. Too much and way out of line. I hope that there's at least somewhere they are going with this.

The girl, Lucy?, that killed Connie played the part really well. She was great to watch.

Ryan getting punched by "girls on rollerblades" or simply by a girl was hilarious.

I'm in the bunch that really, really misses Calleigh :(.

5/10

2. Gooniegirl3333

Gooniegirl3333 Lab Technician

I completely agree. It's like what happened to Natalia last season when she, out of nowhere, would be MIA for whole episodes with absolutely NO explanation as to why.

I, too, wish they would add some kind of storyline for Calleigh that could make up for her lack of screentime. Now, the audience totally gets that Emily is pregnant and cannot work the hours like she used to...BUT it still messes with the psyche of the audience concerning the show's canon. If the writers are not going to allow her pregnancy into the show, at least give us fans SOME respect and MAKE SOMETHING UP. That is their job, after all.

:rolleyes: Okay, rant done...for now.

BTW: I think Emily is BEAUTIFUL during her pregnancy... :thumbsup:

3. Court

Court Prime Suspect

I may be investing too much faith in the writers, but I truly believe all this "H going to the darkside" is going to lead up to something good. I wouldn't be surprised if down the road, there is an episode or arc where he gets in deep doo doo with IAB. You just know one of these guys (if not more) that H has roughed up is going to come back with a lawyer.

I know he's not the H we know and love, but I'm interested to see how far this is going to go before he gets a reality check.

Though, personally, I would LOVE it if Calleigh or Natalia smacked him upside the head and yelled at him for being so reckless (I know, that's not going to happen, but I can dream ...)

4. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

A so-so episode. Liked the roller derby/derby girls, disliked plenty of other things.

"It's called blunt force trauma"? What the heck kind of one-liner was that? They used to be a little funny, now they're just painful. I can't figure out if whoever wrote that was trying really really hard, or not trying at all.

H has become more and more insufferable. When will someone kick him in the butt and say "Here's the door, don't let it hit you on the way out!"

Also getting tired of all the Natalia. She bores me to tears. Not to mention, she's becoming a one-trick pony like Ryan- he's The Screw Up (tm), she's The Domestic Violence Survivor (tm). Seriously? It doesn't have to define a person.

Oh Emily, PLEASE come back! We need Calleigh in her rightful place! The show is sucking more and more the less there is of her.

5. Zipster

Zipster Witness

Vigilante H is not the H I want to see... losing a lot of faith in this particular series. CSI lead actors are the cohesion of the team. They are (sometimes too much) the embodiment of the Law or the Science. H used to be all about the Science. Then he morphed into black suit Cop guy.

Now he's turned back into Detective John Kelly from NYPD Blue.

One wonders if he's staging his own exit from the show.....

6. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

The ending soured it what was a good episode. I missed Ryan getting boxed in (Thank my HD Antenna for that one)

Horatio boxing the guy in, even when he knows said guy is calling his lawyer, was pretty dumb. Whoever wrote that last bit deserves a smack in the head

I also think the writer should visit a wrestling school and take some bumps to see how "fake" it is.

Rating 3/5

7. CSIMandy

CSIMandy Lab Technician

This episode was ok, not one of the best epis this season. I agree about H, I am getting tired of him abusing his power. This season alone he was shown hurting a suspect whose arm was broken, then throwing another suspect through a window and now we can assume he did harm to this guy behind closed doors. He is just going too far and I hope he gets caught, if the team can face consequences for their actions when they screw up then so can Horatio.

8. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

Amen to that. If nothing else, Horatio's actions will make it impossible for him to punish or lecture anyone on his team without looking like a major hypocrite.

9. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I understand what you're saying and how you feel. Unfortunately Calleigh is the one I've grown extremely tired of. The fact is she bores the hell out of me and I've enjoyed the break this season.

I don't think that Natalia's past abuse is any more defining for that character than the repeated references to Calleigh's issues tracing back to her alcoholic father. I've noticed that seems to be an excuse for all of Calleigh's "issues" and we are all expected to react with sympathy and compassion for Calleigh because she had a difficult childhood.

If it's that big an issue for her she, like Horatio, needs to get some help.

I find Natalia and her potential backstory one hundred times more interesting than the same tired old storyline they've been running with Calleigh for the past 4 years.

If they had seriously addressed Calleigh's issues with her father and her past as it relates to him (as I wish they had addressed Horatio's issues with his mother/father), rather than veering off into a storyline that I feel destroyed the character, I doubt that I would be as tired of seeing her as I am.

I'm one who wouldn't miss Calleigh for a moment if she left.

The ratings aren't suffering by having those who've had all the storylines and all the screentime step back and giving those who've been in the background for several years a chance. Eva, Jon, Omar and Rex are doing an outstanding job and I sincerely hope they continue to get as much screentime as possible.

I think Natalia is amazing and I truly enjoy the warmth and humor she's added. It was desperately needed.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  10. EmilyRocks

EmilyRocks Police Officer

I totally agree with y'all. I couldn't believe they ended the episode like they did. The episode a long time ago where you see him lunge at the child predator...not sure what season, maybe 7...that was okay. But to see him do that with this guy I'm thinking, come on dude, you can't get away with that forever. He pushed that one too far and it's becoming far-fetched.

11. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Especially since there's been times when he has actually done stuff in front of his team. Like the time in the car with Natalia. That really puts Natalia in a really uncomfortable and tough position. If all these acts come to light and she has to step forward with what she knows it'll be tough on her to go against her boss or lie for him. That's a position he shouldn't have put her in.

12. Linda&Horatio

Linda&Horatio Witness

After reading everyone's replies regarding Horatio and his descent to the dark side, I am wondering if this is the way the season finale will look like. I don't know if this is a build up to how the season will end in May or whenever it does. Just a thought on that.:shifty:

The other thing is someone mentioned about H's scars being deeper than that of losing Marisol. I agree he has yet to deal with his mom's death. Grief is hard. He lost Speed, Jessie, and Marisol along with Jessop and other officers. That does not excuse his behaviour, however. I agree with so many others who said, we NEED this storyline to either develop more or leave it alone. It is causing the fans and viewers too many concerns and headaches on H's conduct. I thought Horatio had a moral compass and nothing could deviate that?!?!?!? So what's up then?! :wtf: :eek:

This story arch about his parents has been going on since its inception in 2002 and we are no closer to the story than ever before. Why drag this out?!? Is there a way we can plea to the producers and writers to deal with this once and for all??! Do they listen to the fans at all?!?!?

Just my two cents or is it ten cents. :lol:

13. Ajbuckly

Ajbuckly Lab Technician

Sorry ...decided against posting

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  14. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

While I don't feel the same way, you are free to have your own opinion. :)

I think having an alcoholic father and being a survivor of domestic violence are both very defining characteristics- equally so. Without going into too much detail, my childhood wasn't all that different from Calleigh's. Having an alcoholic parent isn't something that magically gets easier once you're an adult and out of the house. It affects you long after that. It changes your entire perspective on life- it affects how you make friends, choose romantic partners, and form other relationships. It feels like a perpetual shameful secret. It makes you feel lonely. That's why there are support groups like Al-Anon for friends and family members of alcoholics- just as there are support groups for women affected by domestic violence.

I don't see Calleigh having an alcoholic father as an "excuse". I see it as it is- a lifelong wound that has a significant impact on a person long after childhood. It's always there.

I've been in therapy since I was 9. I'm still in therapy more than a decade later. My therapist is an incredibly perceptive person. It's amazing how something painful or difficult in your life that you think has to do with a personal weakness can actually be traced back to your feelings about and the actions of an alcoholic parent during your childhood. Dealing with it is a lifelong process.

Natalia's backstory may be more "interesting", but Calleigh's is just as real. I'm living proof, and there are many others in the same position.

I wouldn't suggest that the ratings dropping is solely the result of less Calleigh. It's a combination of things- poor writing, the show's age, its move to a different timeslot...I'm not willing to rule out the possibility that less Calleigh and/or Eric has a little impact on the ratings, as there are many fans of both characters, but I doubt it is statistically significant, nor is it the sole reason for less viewers.

I don't doubt that Eva LaRue is a good actress. I think Jon, Omar, and Rex are also great. I just found Natalia more enjoyable when she was more of a background character. :)

15. Court

Court Prime Suspect

Okay, I'm probably going to open myself up to all kinds of flame here, but I'm really surprised that so many people seem to have given up on Horatio. This whole darkside thing is clearly a plot device of some kind, I would like to believe the writers aren't THAT stupid as to turn Horatio into a villain. To do such a thing would kill the show, IMO, and I don't believe they want the show to go out that way. :rolleyes:

Yes, he is not himself and he the things he is doing are wrong. But who honestly believes that he is NOT going to get called on his behavior and be forced to confront it? And when that does happen, I seriously doubt he is going to shrug and be okay with it. It will be a wake up call.

I also think if this were any other character such as Calleigh, Eric, Ryan, Natalia, etc., we would be seeing more board posts showing compassion and concern. Right now, it appears a lot of people are ready to throw Horatio to the wolves and that makes me sad. Maybe other people want to imagine the show without him, but I personally can't. :(

Clearly H has problems (he lost his mother, brother - twice -, wife, several friends, he watched his brother-in-law nearly die twice, he was robbed of 16 years with his son, only to find him just as the kid was going to prison and is now fighting in the Middle East, which would cause ANY parent to worry, the mother of his son is in an institution, his ex-girlfriend was blown to kingdom come and his former partner and friend - someone he trusted - was a part of the conspiracy that led to her death and the man responsible for his wife's death is out on the loose - and he hasn't ever really fully dealt with any of that in a way that has been shown to the audience (talking to Rebecca Nevins does not count in my eyes). (sorry about the longest run-on sentence in the history of the English language.)

Anyone else with that amount of trauma in their life and no real counseling would probably eventually go off the deep end too. :shifty:

I think it's a safe bet that repercussions are coming at H, whether it's in the next few eps or at the end of the season. in the meantime, I think DC is doing a great job portraying Horatio's decent into darkness.

As for the ratings, I wasn't surprised that CSIM came in second this week. I mean, it was competing against the Golden Globes? Did anyone honestly think any show could beat that? The GG seem to be becoming more popular than the Oscars. I thought the ratings for this season were looking fairly decent and competitive even though football has been a bit pain in the arse.

The episodes for the most part have been a heck of a lot better than some we've seen in the past few seasons, IMO, and I think that is because of better writing and storylines - not due to any one particular character. After nine seasons, some risks need to be taken to keep the show from getting stale and ultimately cancelled. I, for one, want to see a season 10 happen.

Okay, I'm done ranting. Flame a-way.