What do you think of season 7 so far?

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by vegaslights, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Colonel Worf

Colonel Worf Pathologist

It's the best since S1. Great cast and cases.

2. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

Half-way thru, and I think S7 has been a much improved version of CSI:NY :).

Survey says:

Is Jo Danville a godsend? No. Is SW a coup? Yes. Are both welcome additions helping to recharge the show? Very much so.

Is Stella's absence proving detrimental? Not in the least.

Mac's lighter side? Welcome. And not brought forth in a way that has run counter to his character, but has rather relaxed and broadened it a bit.

Montana's clothes? Not something I feel compelled to waste a word on :lol:. Unless we're talking about the medal as a new adornment, or musing if the Wardrobe Dept might be distracted as a possible explanation for Flack's hair experiment :p.

-

I have enjoyed the cases more, I've liked the character interaction, and the balance in how material and focus has been divided.

I think there's been only one ep I've bemoaned having sat thru, which is a ratio far improved over past seasons, even if we're only half-way thru. There are many I'd be happy to sit thru as re-runs too.

I have liked the visual style, I've liked that the production & art depts (and bug wranglers) have apparently been kept quite busy :lol:. I like that the writers seem to have found a breath of fresh air and new lease. I'm not sure what general comings and goings and sundry behind the scenes has resulted in such, and not my business, but the onscreen result has IMO been positive.

I hope we do get to see more of Sheldon, Sid and Adam in the second half, but I have enjoyed what feels a more constant presence from the latter two compared to last season. I'd love to see the show find ways to use Sid more, and outside his usual morgue environs. They've managed to pry Rosco out of the labs more often, I'd love to see the same for Sid. Hawkes has very much been a supporting player, but hopefully he'll get a bit more to contribute in future eps.

I have been impressed with many of the guest stars that NY has had on the show, an improvement over stunt casting habits.

It's been fun to see Danny revive a bit, with a renewed buddy-cop dynamic with Flack, but I also hope this doesn't just become a formula inserted weekly. I like how they have changed that up a bit too, and a bit of absurdity in suspect take downs on occasion can be fun ;). Danny's also, finally, had a few moments that give hint to his persona of old, and some fun stuff with Adam and Jo.

I also like how Flack has often been present thru the whole of an ep, and not just brought in to canvas or kick a piece of info forward. I quite like his interrogation scenes as well, and the fact he's been written some as both participant and observer, and the fact he's had scenes with Danny, Jo & Mac as well. If he's had any general scenes with Sheldon or Adam, they've not been so prominent or memorable.

I'm glad the cliffhanger was addressed and wrapped swiftly, and while there were obligatory mallets present to cover the transitions, that all settled down pretty quickly.

I agree with many points brought up here. I think pdegan2814 has made several good ones.

I think Danny & Flack's adventure with a defiant perp was fun if only because it wasn't a smooth hero cop take down of a dirt bag :lol:.

I had also, at the start, been wondering if NY would ever return to a two-case format for an ep, but I hafta admit that I've been engaged enough by what they've put forward to have nearly forgotten about that altogether.

I initially thought that Carver's arc, in crossing more than one ep., was a little light on the front end, but I think it did pay off with the balance and restraint shown in telling the story. The ep with EJO felt like it could have been an ep that did extend into an arc, or perhaps kept the character alive to be a part of the realm, but *shrug*. (Mebbe Neyo's will become one like that).

So, I basically agree with alla this ^ :).

While I may differ in my take on S5, it is kinda funny :lol:

S7 is definitely now a contender to be among my favorites, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the second half gives us.

3. fpete1110

fpete1110 Civilian

They seem to be improving every season. This one is awesome. I like that Mac seems to be more at ease and funny. Can't wait to see what happens next.

4. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

:lol: My ranking is like this: 5, 7, 3, 4, 1, 6 and 2. I want S1 to be higher but I still think it's better than S2 and S6. S5 is my number 1 because it's my first year watching NY and I just love most of the episodes. I know some didnt't like S5 maybe because of DL but without it, S5 might be better than atleast S6 (and S2 and S4 for me), I guess.

5. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ i disagree, i think i will have to paraphrase sick boy from trainspotting on this one

[season 7] ... "is merely a blip on an otherwise uninterrupted downward trajectory."

6. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Ooops I switched S7 and S3. S3 is supposed to be second on my list, and I think it's still better than S7. One of the reasons why I really like S3 is because of the whole Mac/Peyton. I think Peyton was a good addition to the show, as well as Detective Angell of course.

7. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

First I think Sela Ward is the breath of fresh air I had hoped she would be. I like her as Jo alot. She has done very well with Mac and they have wonderful chemistry. I can't say that she has really connected with any of the other characters in the same way but I still like her. They do a wonderful job with her wardrobe and I don't miss Stella and her lowcut sweaters and skintight jeans at all.

As for the rest of the questions, I really can't say because I don't have the same exitement that I used to have for the show. I don't know if it comes from the move to Friday, or just a general waning of interest but it just doesn't draw me like it used to. I watched the first new ep of 2011 but this past week I was content to watch Human Target and count on CSI:NY being "on demand" for later viewing at my leisure.

Some of the scenes have been bordline ridiculous this year although the guest casting has been better than I have ever seen it. I just think that the character use has become very predictable and maybe the show is close to running its course. I will probably watch more episodes this season and enjoy them but the excitement and need to get my CSI:ny fix has been taken over by my interest in newer more interesting shows.

8. pdegan2814

pdegan2814 Dead on Arrival

She doesn't have quite the same strong bond with the others as she's formed with Mac, but she has had some good character moments with some of the others. Jo & Flack hit it off right from the start, that's a team-up I wish they'd go back to showing more of. It has some of the same playfulness Flack & Stella used to have. And she's had a couple of fun scenes with Sid, I really liked the end of the sniper episode when she had new glasses made for him. And of course she's had some very good stuff with Adam. Her teasing him in the premiere, working with him in the Chat episode, and of course when she got him to play the polygraph expert to make the guy crack.

And yes, I too enjoy what they've done with Jo's wardrobe. Not because of her necklines or the tightness of her pants, mostly because of her footwear. Too many women on cop shows go around in stiletto heels even in situations where they might have to run, it's ridiculous. But Jo's boots make much more sense, and they fit her overall style, too. :)

9. wildcat

wildcat Witness

Season 7? Meh....

Tried to watch it. The first episodes were more or less okay, one was very good (I think it was "Unfriendly Chat" - the only one I gave A+ this season), but the more the season advances the worse it becomes. The last three or four episodes were so bad, I did not even want to watch them till the end - switched to another channel. Booooring....

CSI:NY used to be the most quick-paced and dynamic show. Now it just slowly limps.
    No development, and this special chemistry between characters is largely lost. Before there has been some very noticeable camaraderie, they all were at about the same level with Mac being senior, and when there were any new findings, each person was bringing it directly to Mac. Not any more. Now they play a "broken phone" in each episode. Jo is running around demanding reports to her from everybody, then she goes to present it all to Mac (BTW, often without even mentioning the person who got this data). This largely eliminates the interactions of everybody but Jo with Mac. Such an approach not only is irritating as Jo becomes omni-present, but it disrupts the group chemistry which used to be very strong on NY.

Well, season 7 indeed is a DIFFERENT show. And I find it to be neither interesting nor attracting my attention.