Episode 9x10 - 'Match Made in Hell' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by FieldMouse, Dec 31, 2010.

1. INACTIVEQuinn Fabray

INACTIVEQuinn Fabray Lab Technician

I thought this was quite an engaging episode. The crime kept me guessing until the end and I would never (in my slighest dreams) would have guessed Tandy to be the murderer. (She was too "out of the picture" to be the murderer in my opinion). I honestly thought Paul was the murderer the whole time!

As for the undercover operation, I thought Jon Togo did an outstanding job as always. I was, however, disappointed by his lack of screentime in this episode. I was lead to believe that he was going to have quite a bit of screentime and that the episode would be mostly revolved around him (due to the way TPTB sold the episode). In fact, the first 25 minutes of the episode he was pratically MIA!

However, I was quite happy that we got to see more Natalia! I think it's about time we got to see more of her, especially when she was MIA for pratically all of season 8. Hopefully her screen time will continue to increase throughout the season. I also found it quite amusing when Natalia and Horatio were laughing in Tandy's office. Can I also point out that I laughed when I saw Horatio sitting with his feet on the table? I have never seen Horatio sit so "relaxed" before! It literally made me "lol"!

Overall it was a great episode! I hope TPTB continue on this positive path!

Overall Grade:
    A

2. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

In true CSI form, the culprit was someone they had already interviewed. Does it really take a trained police officer to figure out that a "club" where you pay thousands of Dollars to meet women is nothing more than a prostie ring? C'mon...CSI: Lake Okeechobee could have figured that out.

And of course, the "Ryan" episode turned out to be a rather minor turn to the plot--another excuse for H. Caine to put a bullet in someone. How many people has he shot and killed now? John Dillinger is probably applauding this from Hell. It had none of the depth of the CSILV episode where Sara volunteered to be the bait for a serial killer. But I suppose Ryan was the only logical choice, given the character alternatives.

A mildly entertaining episode, but let's make no mistake, CSIM writers have tackled this prostitution/human smuggling angle with regularity. Or to put it another way: it was better than watching the Seahawks/Rams game. :lol:

With Stetler written out of the show, there is pretty much no check on his police thug attitude. Perhaps the writers sensed the growing apathy of the viewing audience about HC and his "troop leader" persona in the last few seasons. Maybe they will just go for broke and have HC go all Charles Bronson on Coral Gables one day.

Oh, boy! Brazil, here we come!

By the way, do poor people ever get murdered in Dade County, FL these days?:confused:

3. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

I liked this eppie.

Random Thoughts:

--Was a little disappointed in an eppie which we were being led to believe was Ryan-centered, we didn't have more of him but what we got was quality. Enjoyed watching "millionaire" Ryan get the "eye" from the ladies and getting kissed for the first time. He was such a gentleman with Kate as well:thumbsup:

--The dunking scene. Although I was yelling for H and Eric to hurry, I couldn't understand as well how the man expected to get any information from Ryan after one, drugging him and two, when his head wasn't out of the water long enough for him to do much of anything.

--One reason I am enjoying this season is going back to the "team" bonding especially with the light hearted banter between the CSIs. I loved both Natalia/Calleigh's (it was so good to hear Calleigh laugh!!) and Tom/Eric's scenes.

--I agree that Eric seems more relaxed this season.

--I love Tom.

--Frank walking and automatically knowing about the pipe.:lol:

--Horatio with his feet on Tandy's desk:lol::lol:

--I am so glad Natalia's screentime is increased; you forget how good she is when she is not around.

Not a bad eppie.

4. luf100

luf100 Coroner

I don't know why everyone is thinking Eric shot that security guard too fast. The guy was going for his gun... isn't that about when they should shoot someone? He didn't want H to get shot. :/

Other than that I liked the episode. Of course I wish Ryan had been in it more, but I'm pretty happy with it anyway.

I loved:

- Nat and Cal talking about what kind of pipe was used to burn the victim, and laughing about it, then Frank walks in and just goes "motorcycle burn". :lol: Not the first time that's happened with Frank.

- Ryan. Everything Ryan. :lol: His first kiss on the show, how gentlemanly he was with Kate, all the ladies checking him out. Muhaha. I even liked the "dunking" (lol).

- Eric and Horatio getting there in time to save Ryan, and then Eric helping Ryan and making sure he was okay. Aaaaw. I'm glad they've been more friendly this season.

- Horatio and Natalia, I loved when they were in the office laughing, and H was sitting in Tandy's chair with his feet up. :lol:

- Tandy King at the beginning, when she asked the one girl if someone in clown college did her makeup. :lol: And then when she complimented Natalia.

- Tom Loman. I LOVE HIM. He's so awesome, they need to put Christian Clemenson in the opening credits (like someone else said).

There's probably more I just don't remember.

There wasn't much I didn't like... I didn't really get how the victim didn't SEE that huuge alligator in his pool. o_O Oh and the fact that the episode wasn't as focused on Ryan as we thought it would be. But that's about it.

5. redanemone

redanemone Rookie

It wouldn't really be a smart thing to do right now. Our police commissioner is under fire for 6 officer involved shootings in the past few months and he is being accused of sweeping it under the rug. Normally I'd agree with you, but given the circumstances I'm not sure that would be sending the right message.

6. Gooniegirl3333

Gooniegirl3333 Lab Technician

Okay, so I kinda understand now why Matthew Shaw didn't really realize there was anything in his pool. True he was pretty blind, and he should have seen it, but in regards to him living in Florida and he should have known...

the dude just moved from Arizona two months before! Arizonans don't check for things in their pools, just their shoes, lol.

No excuse for not seeing the gigantic thing, but at least it makes sense why he wasn't smart enough to check first.

7. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

I rewatched the episode and timed Ryan's actual screentime. He was really on for 10 minutes. That's better than I thought. If you think about it, that is a quarter of the show. Although still not enough for me!

8. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Ok, am I the only one who didn't like the episode?

First, we were all lead to think this might have been a Ryan centric episode and....voilĂ  nothing like that: Ryan has his regular 5 minutes during which he goes UC (clearly not intentionally :rolleyes:) and immediately gets caught by the security guard.
    As much as Togo's performance was quite good
    1) what kind of a millionaire acts the way he did???? He definitely wasn't that believable millionaire he pretended to be.
    2) did he really enter that building with a smart phone knowing that in that place something illegal like prostitution was going on? Did he really believe they weren't going to take it???? :wtf:

Second, we were also lead by the original spoiler that there was going to be one of his ex-girlfriend....well I'm still looking for her. That would have eventually made a Ryan centric episode...not this episode :rolleyes:

Third, Delko all frantic almost giving him a CPR?? For what??? He was already coughing so there was no need to put him on his side and, above all, to caress his face the whole time....that was creepy :wtf:

Do I have to express myself on the typical damsel in distress obtaining Horatio's grace???? To me, Horatio looks like the president of a charity to which every damsel in distress of Miami can take part.

Finally, Horatio's attitude bothers me...a lot. It really looks like he and his brother in law can do whatever they want, now that Stetler is out of picture. Well they always did despite the rules, but now all the rules disappeared :eek:
    When they "questioned" the first security guy, it reminded me their interrogation to Memmo Fierro....I can't stand scenes like this.
    Whenever I think of Horatio & Eric working together, Mafia comes to me mind and I definitely hate this idea!!!!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  9. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I'm sure there are charming,friendly millionaires out there.He mentioned energy and windmills,why couldn't they be the friendly type? They aren't all a**holes,that's kind of sterotyping. I liked that Ryan played the "millionaire that way.
    I've learned to take the spoilers with a huge grain of salt. I would have loved to see the ex girlfriend angle,but the show is only 42 or 43 minutes in duration, I'm sure that wasn't the only scene left on the cutting room floor.
    Apparently none of them thought of this. Ryan had instructions to call ,so they either expected him to use his phone or some other phone.

10. Gooniegirl3333

Sorry, but I didn't really get the whole "caressed his face" bit. To me, Eric seemed genuinely worried about Ryan, making sure he wasn't going to pass out from lack of oxygen. He pushed him over to his side to help Ryan get all of the water he inhaled out (can't really cough up water on your back).

Someone tried to kill Ryan, and Eric was making sure he was okay... plain and simple.

11. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

As much as I liked him he looked more of a horny guy looking for a girl to hook up rather than a millionaire involved in prostitution affairs :shifty:

Well since, according the spoilers, one of his ex-girlfriends was involved in this stuff the episode would have been a lot different than the typical damsel in distress seeking for Horatio's grace :shifty:

Thank god they all are cops :rolleyes:

Yeah Ryan was sooooo at death's door with such a lack of oxygen that Horatio only asked him if he was okay while Eric was all frantic shaking his co-worker and put on his side. There really was no need to do such a thing in that situation...he was coughing and moving....for all I know he could have put himself on his side, though he didn't need to do it, without Eric's intervention and caresses :wtf:

12. mjszud

mjszud Captain

I'm going to agree here. Not every millionaire has an ego, & obviously this "dating service" wasn't for those who are confident in finding women on thier own. It made sense for Ryan to act a little 'out of the loop' in this situation.

Yes, there was a ton that didn't play out. It was originally supposed to be 'Abby' who was drugged & Ryan was supposed to go undercover to rescue her, if I remember right. Apparently the original spoilers just didn't fit with what the writers were trying to present in this episode. Not a big deal to me. I'd have liked to seen the 'ex' angle, but considering Kate was your basic sympathetic hooker who was in love with one of her "clients" .....that's not exactly the type I'd want to see posed as Ryan's old girlfriend, I don't think it would've worked well.

My only real complaint of this episode was the undercover business. 'Sleepless in Miami' is too fresh in my brain & I couldn't help but scream at the TV "have you learned nothing from that?!?"
    And the fact that it was Horatio's idea....H, baby, have you forgotten that the last time one of your CSIs went undercover you nearly had your head blown off? Was it really a good idea? :wtf:

13. 11krage

11krage Dead on Arrival

I think Delko turning Ryan onto his side was very realistic. Think about it. Its what he's been trained to do. He's the one who trained as a diver. A large portion of my family are trained to scuba dive, etc (you can tell I'm not one of them as I've forgotten the technical names I think).

You see a person on their back having difficulty breathing, you turn them on their side. Its one of the first things you need to learn for first aid. You can't breathe well on your back, its dangerous to just leave them there so I would assume it would be second nature for Delko to do so. You seriously do get it hammered into you during training, along with full recovery position, etc.

If Delko had left him there I would have been pointing out the implausablity of it given his training.

In part of it, it does seem Ryan recovers a little fast from the drug but there is a time lapse and he does seem quite out of it when he's wandering around with a blanket. (The first thing he did when entering the new room was to lean against the doorframe). And (this bit is only opinion) he does look and sound a little shell shocked.

Overall I think it was a very good episode. Ryan was a perfect gentleman and seemed very much in charater. I also loved how much they actually cared out his well being. (H asked how he was for one) - From what I've seen at least that happens so rare (I think I've read parodies on the topic of why people never ask Ryan how he is). And Delko told him to be safe AND made sure he was alright after the near drowning.

I think it was a great episode that actually made me believe these people care about each other. The case was good, the culprit was not in your face obvious which was nice.

Overall its probuly one of my favourite episodes this season.

14. Gooniegirl3333

I was seriously waiting for some kind of reaction from Natalia about that. I would assume that she would have at least protested to it. :: shrugs :: maybe it was one of those scenes on the cutting room floor :lol:

15. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Well there's no need to be a scuba diver in order to rescue a person!
    He was coughing which means he was able to breathe and he was getting oxygen to his brain!!!!

You turn them on their side only if they're vomiting or coughing water. He had already coughed water so there was nothing in his mouth preventing him from breathing!

Thank god Eric was right behind him ready to help him out in case he fainted :rolleyes:

Seriously...I would only have checked him out for the drug in his blood system, though it was pretty clear he wore it off pretty damn fast. But there was absolutely no need to see Eric all frantic over him as if he were dying!!!! That was beyond ridiculous in my honest opinion :rolleyes:

Last but not least, find me a millionaire like Ryan or the ones you're describing and I'll marry him...stat!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011