Hawaii Five-0: The next generation

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Dynamo1, Jul 24, 2010.

1. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

I agree, this show is good. I don't see the problem people have with it. It's action packed and the interaction b/w McGarrett and Danno is great!

2. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Yeah especially when they're arguing inside the car! :lol: This show is something different for me right now. I watched the NCISs before (because it's more action-packed than CSIs) but I just got tired of them. Now Hawaii Five-0 is filling my needs every week for suspenseful episodes. I just hope it won't be repetitive. CSIs do action episodes rarely and I'm happy/fine with it since what I love about them are the forensics and characters.

3. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Sources: TvGuide Online

Got anything good on Hawaii Five-0?

ADAM: I was just saying to myself last week, Daniel Dae Kim's Chin Ho needs more to do than play computer jockey back at HQ. (Granted, they're very cool computers, but still.) Looks like someone heard me because in an upcoming episode, we will meet Chin's ex-fiancée, a beautiful doctor who helps solve one of the team's cases by identifying a dead body. Naturally, the couple has lots of unfinished business, which might be why the good doctor still wears Chin's engagement ring around her neck.

Hawaii Five-0 Adding a New Series Regular — Cast It!

Can you imagine Lone Star's James Wolk or Battlestar Galactica's Katee Sackhoff under the Hawaii Five-0 sun, playing an old CIA buddy of McGarrett's? It could happen. A new casting notice says the CBS drama is looking to add a series regular to tentatively debut in the 17th episode of the season, TVGuide.com has learned.

According to the official casting call, the character will be somewhere in his or her late 20s to early 30s, a wise-cracking, multilingual Asia expert recruited into the CIA right out of Harvard. The new addition also has a deep-rooted connection to McGarrett (Alex O'Loughlin), having taken a bullet for him years ago. And it's still there, lodged next to the spine.

So who would you cast in the role? Would Lost alum Evangeline Lily or House guest star Amber Tamblyn be the best choice to help Grace Park mix up the boys' club? Or should CBS grant a new chance to recently unemployed actors like Outlaw's Jesse Bradford, Undercovers' Boris Kodjoe or Rubicon's James Badge Dale?

Hawaii Five-0 airs Mondays at 10/9c on CBS.

4. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Amber Tamblyn still looks too young to me. I'd go with Sackoff or Wolk, for sure. Although Katie may be getting typecast, after Starbuck and this recurring tough cop she's been playing on CSI.

5. ragincajun

ragincajun Prime Suspect

Jason Momoa, please!!!!!! :thumbsup:

FYI, he played Ronan on Stargate Atlantis, and he's a native Hawaiian. ;)

6. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Hmmm... that would be interesting. And he would certainly offer the athleticism and good looks to the role! Good idea!

7. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Yay for Scott Caan's Golden Globe nomination!

Last night's episode was good. It was kind of predictable (as usual, Chin wasn't going to die). But at least we got to know more about his controversial past. Interesting mini cliffhanger.

8. Destiny

Source: TvGuide

Any scoop on Hawaii Five-0? I'm really hoping we'll see more of Danno and his ex-wife Rachel.

ADAM: Ask and ye shall receive, Diana. You can expect to see more of Rachel when Danny has to help her new hubby Stan out of a tight spot. Described as a wealthy international businessman, Stan catches a corrupt politician demanding a bribe and threatens to indict him, thus putting Rachel and Grace in tremendous danger.

9. E/C Lover

E/C Lover Police Officer

I can't wait to see more of Dan and Rachel.:)

10. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

James Marsters AND Mark Dacascos in the same ep? Wow! Nice cliffhanger too. :)

11. E/C Lover

E/C Lover Police Officer

I know right.:)

12. Destiny

TvGuide.com (Spoiler Box will be included)

Keck's Exclusives: Taryn Manning Leaving Hawaii Five-0?

I have good news and bad news for fans of Taryn Manning, who have been patiently waiting for her Hawaii Five-0 character (Steve McGarrett's spunky kid sis, MaryAnn) to break out with a stronger screen presence. The Jan. 3 episode finally allows the actress to take center stage

when MaryAnn gets kidnapped. It's all part of a plot connected to the villainous Wo Fat and the murder of Steve and MaryAnn's mother. But without giving away the tearjerker ending — something happens during the course of the episode that could potentially make this Taryn's swan song on the CBS crime drama.

The drama begins when Steve (Alex O'Loughlin) rushes to his sister's new apartment and discovers "there was a struggle," explains Taryn, who has been waiting months for an opportunity to demonstrate the acting skills that brought her attention in such films as 8 Mile and Hustle & Flow. "Steve discovers a tooth on the ground, basically establishing that MaryAnn was a badass and fought her whole way through. There's a lot of emotion."

So is Steve about to lose the last surviving member of his immediate family? My lips are sealed! But I hear one person who is sorry to be saying goodbye to Taryn is Alex. During my last visit to the Hawaiian set, Alex told me, "I haven't worked with Taryn as much as I would like. She brings out a certain paternal caring that Steve wouldn't normally have. With both their parents gone, he feels an obligation to keep an eye on her; especially since she's troubled and kind of out of control."

Indeed, Taryn confides that "Alex wasn't very happy" with the producers' decision to alter their plans for Mary Ann. "He liked me and liked our relationship. He felt my character was necessary to explore further aspects of his role and was prepared to fight for me."

Taryn also expresses her thanks to Daniel Dae Kim (Chin Ho), who she says, "sat down with me and had a little heart to heart to make sure I felt okay about everything. He's very thoughtful."

MaryAnn proved a challenge for producers from the beginning. She was originally slated to appear in the first four episodes and recur throughout the season. "The family mystery was supposed to slowly unfold over the first season and I was going to play a big part in that with my own Nancy Drew mission," says Taryn, who had been under the impression that her character would even return for future seasons. "It was told to me that the first season would be based around the team more, and I should just hang tight."

However, producers chose to shift greater focus to McGarrett's professional associations and less on his personal life.

There was also concern that too much was being revealed too soon about the murdered mother. Also taken in the upcoming episode is Steve's father's lock box, which contains clues to the mother's disappearance. "I think they were going to show more of this throughout the season, but now it's all wrapped up in this episode," says Taryn.

Before the episode's end, Mary Ann will encourage her brother to keep delving further in to the case, and the team will be further aided by evidence discovered on MaryAnn's cell phone. The final image, teases Taryn, is of Steve experiencing "sadness over another loss."

The busy 32-year-old hasn't allowed professional disappointments to get her down. A Buddhist who sits cross-legged and chants every morning and night, Taryn had been toting a travel-size altar back and forth from Los Angeles to Hawaii, which she credits for "quieting her mind from all the chitter chatter."

In addition to focusing on her music (one of her songs, "Spotlight," was played in an early episode of Hawaii Five-0 and is available on iTunes), she will guest star in a January episode of Law & Order: SVU. She may also return to her recurring role on Sons of Anarchy, and is mulling an offer to play Janis Joplin in an independent film. As for Five-0, she has no regrets: "I chanted to get this show and the benefits have been priceless."

13. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

I just caught up on the last three new episodes (been working so hadn't had time to watch them). I really enjoyed them. I enjoy the show and hope it stays around.

14. ragincajun

ragincajun Prime Suspect

:thumbsup:

15. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I've been half-following this show for a while, but I got caught up after catching a cold and being stuck on the couch for a week and wow, I love it! The stories are fun, but it's the chemistry between McGarrett and Danno that really distinguishes the show! I love it when these two bicker back and forth like an old married couple. I seriously love it!