What do you think of season 7 so far?

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by vegaslights, Dec 10, 2010.

1. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

For the next few weeks CSI: NY is in rerun mode, leaving us with repeats of less than favorable season six repeats ("Death House" and "Redemptio"--oy!), and returning on January 7 with a brand new episode titled "To What End?" Since we're pretty much halfway through the season (it goes by so fast, doesn't it?) I thought now might be a good time to give the show a midterm evaluation.

A few points that might be worth discussing:

- Has Jo Danville been the Godsend the show has needed for the past two seasons?

- Is Stella's absence from the lab hurting the show?

- Mac: do you enjoy seeing his lighter side?

- Are the cases more interesting than in past years?

- And most importantly... are you fan of Lindsay's wardrobe this season? ;)

I think there's quite a bit to discuss regarding the first 10 episodes of season 7.

Personally, I think Sela Ward's Jo Danville has made the show for the better. She's nothing like we've ever seen from the CSI shows, and what *I'm* seeing, I'm liking. Her moments with Mac have been great, and her scenes with the other cast members are just as nice. I'm definitely not a fan of Lindsay's wardrobe this season, and I'm not too fond of Flack's haircut. :lol: Overall, I think the cases have been stronger and watching the show is actually enjoyable than it has been in a while.

So what do you guys think?

2. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

This has been my second favorite season behind S1. The cases have been solid and they've gone back to Danny and Flack being more of team instead of focusing on Danny as one half of DL, which is nice. Jo is everything TPTB tried to make us believe Lindsay would be when she joined the cast. She truly is a breath of fresh air and a completely different character than the NYers in the cast and the other characters respond to her in a unique way. I especially love the way Jo and Mac interact. It's nice to see a side of Mac we haven't seen before.

I always liked Stella and I was bummed that Melina chose to move on, but the addition of Sela Ward had me optimistic and I wasn't disappointed. I don't even miss Stella with Jo around and in fact I like Jo better than Stella.

Hawkes is still way under used, but hopefully he'll get some focus in the latter half of the season. I've also loved, loved, loved the guest stars we've seen so far and the guest stars they've booked for upcoming episodes have me excited as well. The stunt casting they did in the past was just ridiculous and it's nice to see them get back to casting well known actors instead of people who think they can act.

ETA: Lindsay's wardrobe has been better this season because Anna Belknap isn't pregnant. However, it's still not great. She still looks like a middle aged soccer mom as opposed to the young, newly married mother she's supposed to be even though she has somewhat better clothing this season.

3. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Love Jo. Love love love her! I was sad that Melina left, especially since we didn't get a real send-off for the character, but I think TPTB did the best they could given the situation. Landing Sela was such a bonus, and I'm loving her interaction with the team so far. I feel like she's really getting settled in (things were a bit more rocky in her first few episodes, I'll admit, but considering how little time they had to create the character and get her integrated, I'm impressed).

Danny and Flack taking on suspects and doing chase scenes is always fun, no matter how silly or unrealistic it may be (and some situations are more unrealistic than others, obviously ;)) - so I'm loving how many of those scenes we're getting this season. What can I say, I'm willing to suspend my disbelief if I get to see Danny jump on a guy's back and then get thrown across the room. :lol:

4. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

I have enjoyed s7, but I began watching early last season. But now I am watching older seasons along with the new ones.

I feel the cases are strong and interesting, with a couple of episodes being a little dull.

But with it being on Friday I really feel that this will be its last year. That bums me out because I just started watching it.

Jo is tolerable. She irks me at times, but the female leads on crime shows are a necessary evil (not a big fan of women).

I enjoy Mac regardless of his gruff or lighter side. He is the reason I watch the show.

One thing I do wish is that they would give Hawkes more air time, but also let Adam grow up. Adam's goofy demeanor gets old and he is my second favorite character.

As for Lindsey's wardrobe, I could care less what she wears. I like her character, unlike a lot of people on this board.

Overall I like the season and I hope it survives, but if not, I guess I can adjust.

5. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I'm enjoying this season a lot. CSI NY is the CSI I look forward to the most this season and that had never happened before. First it was Vegas then Miami but now it's definitely NY. I thin Jo is great and Sela was the perfect choice for this role. She definitely has a different and enjoyable chemistry with the cast and is different from the other leads we have (or had) like Cath, Calleigh, and Melina. Even though she's tough there's also a maternal and carefree side which I've never seen in any of the women mentioned before.

I was very dissapointed when I read Melina was leaving because I loved her as Stella and thought she was great. I still think all that but if she decided to move on and the show brought someone who really stepped up to the plate then I'm satisfied. I even like Jo more than Stella now (but that probably has to do a lot with the fact that I love Sela :)).

I do enjoy Mac's lighter side and do think that Jo has had a lot to do with it. I'm often amused by how he responds to her because I think there are times when he just simply doesn't know how to react to the things she says or does. That's been a lot of fun to watch.

I too have to mention the guest stars this season. They have simply been amazing. They really made my day with Edward James Olmos :).

I frankly have not be paying attention to Lindsay's wardrobe but maybe that's a good sign meaning nothing has stood out enough to make me cringe. Though Flack's hair has been just ugh.

Very good season overall :).

6. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

The show is much better compared to last season!!Jo is awesome and the cases are much greater!!!Sela Ward interacts with all the other actors very well so I don't think that Stella's absence has really hurt thee show.
    Flack needs a haircut...Hawkes is really undersused this season-sadly....

7. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I haven't written much on the eps side of things distraction are easy to me but I have to say I am really enjoying this season. Its going back to the old way of working, almost S2 freshness is back.

Jo i think has helped a lot in bringing it back she seems to have a bounce in her step and keeps them all on edge, Stella was great and you do miss her in scenes or when Jo and Mac had that disagreement about the boss I half expected Stella to jump in its those sort of moments i miss.

Flack and Danny are definitely back tho i love the 2 of them together its just perfect and they are joking again which wasn't missing last season there just seemed less of it. Now they are making them run and giving them the jokes. Flacks hair is just a tad weird tho i don't hate it i just think it needs a cut.

The Cases are definitely better this season they are keeping me engaged and have the twists we all know and love. And so far the stunt casting hasn't been disasterous yet they have all worked and given something to the episode.

I'm defitely happy with this season pity such a long break.

8. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

So far season 7 is great. It's now one of my favorites. (Is it just me or odd-numbered seasons are better than even-numbered ones? :shifty:) So far my favorite episodes are The 34th Floor Hide Sight, Scared Stiff and Justified.

Jo is an awesone addition to the cast. I guess it's because it's Sela Ward and her portrayal is very pleasing. I think she fits in nicely. I like her work with Mac and Flack.

I miss Stella. In fact she's my favorite character but I don't miss her much whenever I watch new episodes. I'm enjoying the team and the interactions they have with each other. However, whenever I watch repeat episodes I sometimes hope Stella/Melina stayed on the show. NY is already great even before Jo.

I enjoy Danny and Flack's variations on chasing suspects. I can't wait what other tricks they have.

I think Lindsay looks younger this season. Her outfits are improving.

9. LoveSela

LoveSela Dead on Arrival

I think this season is really great. I loved the show before but I love it even more now and I think its in large part because I love Sela and I think she's so great on the show. I never miss an episode because of her.

I miss Melinda but Sela is such a fresh edition and I just really enjoy it. I think Jo will opened up some new story lines and I'm excited to see that.

Can't wait to see what the rest of the season holds...especially with Russ, Jo's ex, showing up!

10. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

infinitely better than season 6 which frankly is all i needed.

i think jo has been a breath of fresh air that was much needed by the show as well as the viewers and her entrance has delivered a bit of creative spark that had been lagging.

i've not missed stella at all (but i'm not surprised)

but y'know, it's still nowhere near as good as seasons 1-3.

11. Country233

I hadn't realized how good the early seasons were until I watched s2. But I am glad I have most of the seasons now.

I was telling mom today that even if they cancel it at the end of the season, we have tons to watch since we just began watching it in s6.

12. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ very true, the rest of us have had to see it go through a slow & steady decline, you get to see it get better :D

13. Country233

Yes that is true. Haven't thought about it like that except that I have tons of Gary to study. Loved s2 e20,21, & 22

14. pdegan2814

pdegan2814 Dead on Arrival

Personally, I think Season 7 has been one of their strongest so far, and if the primary cast agrees to return(specifically Gary Sinise), I see no reason why it won't come back next year.

* I think Sela Ward AND Jo Danville have been excellent additions to the team. I mention both because I think the show has been helped both by the character as she's written, and I think Sela's performance really brings Jo to life. When I first heard she was being sought to play the new character I was very excited, and she has not let me down. Jo isn't like any of the other female characters in the CSI franchise, and most importantly she's very different from Stella. Not that I didn't like Stella, but if you're going to replace a character, I think it's important they bring something new to the show.

* I don't think Stella's absence is hurting the show at all. I don't think I realized how "meh" I felt about her until she was gone. I didn't actively dislike her, but there really isn't anything she brought to the show that I feel is lacking this year. Sela/Jo does the empathetic stuff better, she does the emotionally intense stuff better. Melina/Stella did action stuff with so far Jo/Sela has not, but there's already too many action heroes on a show about scientists :)

* I LOVE seeing Mac's lighter side. Gary Sinise is a fantastic actor, and I love when he's able balance all that gravitas with some levity. It's funny, but it always seems to be a woman who's able to bring it out of Mac. In season 3 we had Peyton, last spring we had Aubrey(it's a shame we probably won't see her again), and now we have Jo. I'm not sure how I feel about the possibility of Mac & Jo getting romantic(I still think she & Flack were more flirty early on), but as a partnership & friendship, I'm loving it. She even got him to go Xmas shopping! :)

* I've been really enjoying the cases this year, although I wasn't as high on the gang one(with Eddie James Olmos) than most people seem to be. I find it very interesting that we're 10 episodes in and as best I can recall, we've yet to see an episode where the team is split onto separate cases. I don't follow the other two CSI's closely enough to remember if they're like that too this year. Multi-case episodes allow for them to come up with simpler cases since each one gets less screen time, so usually we would see the single-case ep come around and be a big deal. But this year, they've all been single-case episodes, and the writing has kept up. If anything it's stronger this year. Personally, I like it this way, as long as they can keep the quality up. The episodes can tell more complex stories, and still have room for some nice character moments without feeling overstuffed.

* I couldn't care less what Lindsay's wearing :)

15. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

I love this season. I have to say the show for me is better than last season and I did not hate last season. I really like Jo and what she brings to the show. I still think it is one of the best shows on tv and it makes CSI:Miami look like crap. Miami is an F and NY is at least a B. This show rocks.