Grade 'Shop Till You Drop'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Dec 3, 2010.

?

How would you grade Shop Till You Drop

1. A+

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. A

12 vote(s)
    34.3%
  3. A-

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. B+

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  5. B

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. C-

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

2. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Calling another member of the board a "misanthrope" and a "sociopath" is not okay. It's nice to see that two weeks in a row CSI: NY has delivered episodes that make the fans debate some serious issues, but calling another poster names is not the way to have a serious discussion. Let's refrain from doing it again in the future. Thanks.

3. Robin

Robin Prime Suspect

It was okay. My computer didn't play the last three minutes or so.

Wonder if Alana will go to jail because it was in self-defense.

So, I'm getting that she stole the money to help the people who were going to get fired after Christmas.

I'm betting that Danny kept that beauty kit for himself.

4. pdegan2814

pdegan2814 Dead on Arrival

Jo's got Mac Xmas shopping with her? What witchy powers does she have over him? :) But seriously, I love the side of Mac that Jo brings out. I'm not saying I want them to get together, but Mac's always been better when there's been a woman around who can bring out his lighter side. As close as Stella & Mac were, she could never do that quite like Peyton or Aubrey did, but Jo seems to have figured it out.

My favorite moment had to be when the thief said it was his word against Mac's. Mac's reaction to it was priceless. :)

5. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

completely agree. i think it's to do with her being so laid back. stella was quite angsty and it meant that if mac was angsty then she just got more angsty so he got more angsty and it was a vicious circle, jo's relaxed attitude seems to have a calming effect on him, which makes him less angsty in angsty moments and just more laid back in general. it's nice!

oh, i forgot earlier, i liked the bit in the shop window when jo said they had a nice boss and danny made a joke about mac not being that great, it was a nice bit of team jokiness, we've not had that in a while :)

6. ruby&theheadmen

ruby&theheadmen Lab Technician

In light of her illness, Elena should have been quickly charged and punished for grand larceny with house arrest (as well as taking away of her passport). Then when the time came, nearer the end, she could have been sent to a hospital or if possible allowed to die at home- in any case just because she has a terminal illness does not excuse her or the system from punishing her for theft.

The police department that handles larceny should have followed up on who got that money and found out all those who received parts of it; I'm sure that any stockholders of that company would have wanted that 250,000 back, if you were a stockholder, wouldn't YOU want that money back?

That sales clerk at the cosmetic counter; her behavior simply opens up cans of worms for me. If I were a manager above Elena, I would have been quite disturbed to discover that an employee of mine was not closing out their own register at work as they should, but instead, habitually allowing their boss to *cover* for them. In reality, she was as guilty of causing the grand larceny as was Elena.

There are other issues about her as well; the "single- doubtless *unwed* mother" who can't arrange their child care on a regular basis so that she could do her job completely and properly and making this character a Black woman in the bargain raises the appearance of racial stereotyping- this may have not been intentional and I'm not accusing the franchise of being racist; however, it should be sensitive when deciding to depict certain people in this fashion, especially non-Whites.

I'm detecting a tendency to rationalize if not excuse bad behavior in the NY show and I'm not happy about that.

Last but not least, there was and is too much of Sela for my taste; I wish she was not on the program-she detracts, rather than enhances. The more I have to turn my head away from the tv when she appears and the more I hear her interactions with the others, the stronger the feelings develop in me that hearing wise, Melina did much better in interactions with others and visually, in HD Melina would be much easier on my eyes....

7. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I don't think she actually wanted to kill him, she just wanted to stop him from choking her. A blow to the head isn't always fatal. There's probably a fifty-fifty chance. She did try hitting him and kneeing him at first and that's when he grabbed her around the neck. So, the less violent methods failed and she was left with one choice: defend herself or die. Survival instinct is something that kicks in pretty much automatically. It's basically like a reflex. You don't always have time to think "I don't want to hit him hard enough to kill him". It was a clear case of self defense. The stealing however, is another matter altogether. Yes, she was trying to do a good thing, but she went about it the wrong way.

I don't think she would go to jail for killing him. It was clear that she was in immediate danger of bodily harm. She told him no and he should have backed off. Instead he tried to kiss her, she kneed him and he still didn't give up. He had every intention of raping her. She had no choice but to defend herself. I'm pretty sure that self defense cases do not get prosecuted when there's sufficient evidence (as the marks on her body from being grabbed violently around the neck and what not) to prove that she acted in self defense. So that part was understandable.

I can understand what she was trying to do with the money thing and that she was trying to do something good for the other employees, but like I said, it was the wrong way to go about doing that. However, I highly doubt they'd waste money on court fees to prosecute a woman who will most likely not live to see the end of court case. And if they put her in jail for last days, they'd have human rights activists protesting on their doorstep and stuff... so they probably wouldn't bother to prosecute her. I honestly don't think she even would have done that with the money if she hadn't been dying. She figured they wouldn't be able to do anything to her because she's be dead before they ever got around to prosecuting the case. If she'd been healthy, she probably never would have done it. It still doesn't excuse what she did, of course.

LOL! The line about taking it home to the girls made me raise my eyebrows. It'd be one thing if he said he was taking it home to Lindsay... but Lucy is too young to use that stuff I would think LOL.

By the way, I forgot to say how much I liked the opening scene. Loved Jo's reaction to seeing Elena making the snow angel. And her reaction of "right now?" when Mac informed her of the pickpocket was amusing. I've always liked Sela as an actress and I'm really enjoying the character of Jo.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  8. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

Oh totally. Lindsay doesn't appear to be a make-up person (from what I can tell) and Lucy isn't even 2 yet :lol:

They dropped the murder case against Alana - because they could tell he attacked her and whatnot - the issue what that she was stealing money from the store, which is illegal. At the end of the episode Jo commented that she had kicked the case back to the robbery squad and was going to let them deal with it.

9. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Danny so kept that beauty kit for himself. Gotta look pretty for Flack. ;) :devil: I did crack up when he snatched it away from Jo.

Kind of an interesting departure episode--I enjoyed it overall. There's no way Alena would have or should have been prosecuted for killing Grossman... blackmail or no, he was still trying to rape her. I think if a woman is attacked that way, she has the right to defend herself, period. I doubt she was thinking of anything but getting away in that moment.

Good character camaraderie in this one. I really like Jo, and think it's quite funny that she got Mac to go shopping.

B

10. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I agree, Top. I really am loving the friendship that seems to be developing between Mac and Jo. I think they have nice friendly chemistry.

11. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

that i agree with, basically. i also don't think it was probably intentional, unless you take into account a broader social stereotypy that inevitably occurs and is often subconscious. it'd be interesting to see the casting notes to see whether they specified race when casting the role, or whether they didn't and it just happened to go to a non-white lady.

hmm, i can kind of see your point on that, then again i think it's useful that they highlight grey areas. god knows we've all* said on here that mac is too black and white for his own good, so maybe it's a good thing that the grey areas are getting more attention. but i do see what you mean!

* by which i mean quite a few people, not necessarily everyone!

oh, that i can't agree with, i think she's a breath of fresh air in the show and she's lovely looking to boot :)

i guess that goes to show that beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. i never thought melina was that attractive, i can totally see why people do, but i never have. but if we all found the same people attractive the world would be very boring (not to mention the human race would be screwed!) so y'know, to each their own :)

and yeah, danny is far more a cosmetics person than lindsay :D

12. JoeyDC

JoeyDC Rookie

A

It's no secret anymore that my favorite actors are Eddie Cahill and Carmine Giovinazzo so I just loved the little Flack/Messer spin-off that happened in the first half of the episode. It was just so fantastic and entertaining to watch and scenes with both of them or just one of them are always my favorites of the whole episode.

The shopping theme wasn't very original or memorable in any way. I was a little irritated that four CSIs were working at one crime scene together. Sure, in real life it's probably even more but on TV it seemed a bit overwhelming to have all those different characters at one place. In my opinion, it seemed kinda forced and was hard to follow.

The writing didn't impress me either. "Snow Day" is still my all-time favorite episode of CSI: NY because the writing was detail-oriented, original and so thrilling that I had to hold my breath throughout the whole episode.

It was wonderful though to see more of Sela Ward. Her calm nature brings another level of pleasure to the show and I wish she would have been part of the team from the very beginning. Jo's got class, maturity and a very sweet attitude that can wrap you around her little finger if she wants to.

I'm REALLY glad they finally give Danny Messer more alone time to shine again. Carmine's character is still so gripping as long as not being glued to Belknap. I sincerely hope they'll keep it up this way!

I didn't miss Hawkes/Lindsay at all. Both of their characters are pretty useless and everything but enjoyable to watch.

13. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Good episode.

Loved Jo and Mac going shopping. Loved how grumpy Mac was about it :lol:. Also enjoyed how annoyed Jo was when Mac spotted the guy stealing :lol:. I agree with everyone who's said that Jo is a breath of fresh air. She's so relaxed and happy that she's definitely a joy to watch. Mac doesn't quite know what to with her and that's quite amusing to see :lol:. There were good moments of banter which I enjoyed.

What I did notice was that there were more cheesy lines than usual. For that I gave the episode a B.

14. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Another solid B from me.

I liked the character interactions, as I have all of this season. Jo is great with everyone, including the suspects/victims/etc. Danny and Flack are always a joy to watch and I'm glad we're getting some great scenes with them together this season. It seems TPTB remembers Danny is more than one half of DL, which is nice.

I was kind of surprised that Flack thought it was a bad thing that Alaina wouldn't be charged with murder. It was a clear cut case of self defense. But I guess at that point in the story it wasn't perfectly clear that it was self defense.

I'm really liking that the show is showing the shades of grey in life instead of the black and white they've shown in the past. Alaina did deserve to get punished for robbing the store and Jo turned the case over to that division of the NYPD, but I like it that they show people can do the wrong thing with the right intentions. And, like Mac said, with her illness and how slow the process goes, by the time they get around to her case she may not even be alive. And if she was still alive I wonder how hard they would be on someone who had a clean record up to that point and who only committed the crime because she was dying. Because I got the sense that if she weren't dying she would've never stolen the money.

15. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

A heartwrenching episode. Who killed the manager. what a jerk he was:( So the asst. mgr. was caught dipping into the till, and he was blackmailing her. What she did was wrong, but for a reason that made me cry. All the employees were going to be let go, and so knowing she was dying, stole the money to give them. What a different twist. ~